• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
yeah, i dunno about hottest mess ever coming back unless the crew really wants to have some long and hard conversations LIVE about how fucked up ~the industry~ is

they either do that or make the whole category completely toothless, which i feel might even be worse if they start the category off by saying "we are not talking about shit like worker exploitation and sexual misconduct only goofs for this award!"

best music predix:
*ff7 remake
hades
tony hawk's pro skater 1+2

my personal picks:
*ff7 remake
paradise killer
umurangi generation

best multiplayer if they aren't strict about 2020 releases:
*minecraft
among us
phasmophobia

best multiplayer if they are strict about 2020 releases:
*phasmophobia
call of duty: warzone
super mario 35

my personal picks:
*valorant
remnant: from the ashes
deep rock galactic

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty tight to hear Ben going so hard for literal neglectful and abusive dads like Hades and the Yakuza guy because their abusiveness served the plot and then saying an actual example of a good dad is boring. That really sucks.

Also, fuck me I'm bumping up against the end of Hades and wasn't expecting the ending and the true ending to be fully spoiled in a category called Best Dad. It's my fault, but I'm not sure I even wanna bother finishing now.

It's the best playing action game since maybe Ninja Gaiden Black and it might be better. Crank up those pacts of punishment and just enjoy the gameplay. Besides you can't actually say you've beaten the game until you take down extreme measures Hades.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
It's the best playing action game since maybe Ninja Gaiden Black and it might be better. Crank up those pacts of punishment and just enjoy the gameplay. Besides you can't actually say you've beaten the game until you take down extreme measures Hades.

Bruh I can't beat the Elysium boss fight without losing two death defiances. I'm on my 40th run, and the game just feels unfair and impossible. You're speaking a different language.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hottest mess might not make the streamlined cut because the world is waking up to crunch, transphobia, white supremacy, sexism, and a bunch of other really depressing issues under the surface of games that make the category a bit less fun.

I definitely enjoyed the discussions in years past too, but the real hot messes these days aren't subjects for very fun conversations. Maybe they could thread the needle if they gave some caveats, but if they have a more fun category in mind I'd prefer they take that route.

Hottest mess or similar is surely coming. They're expecting Avengers to come back for one more category :)

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh I can't beat the Elysium boss fight without losing two death defiances. I'm on my 40th run, and the game just feels unfair and impossible. You're speaking a different language.

I was there too. I thought Elysium was impossible and failed over and over. And then I realized at some point every run I was starting to do better in Elysium and the first two areas had become cake walks. Hades has a way of teaching you to get better over time that I've only ever experienced playing something like Rock Band. You start to internalize spacing and timing and learn the builds that click with you and then you are listening to Theseus slowly lose his mind as you best him over and over.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad Flight Sim made the top 3. I suspected it might miss out on the basis of Jason's point regarding realism vs hand crafted art.

For me Flight Sim is the one gaming experience right now that feels like it's landed from the future. We are post-next gen console launch at this point, and the most technically impressive next gen experience is Flight Sim 2020. The way that game looks and the fusions of technology making it happen are absolutely worthy of recognition.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the return to the old format!

With best graphics though I do have to say, with Brad's view, I feel like they should eliminate any sequel from the list. Because any sequel is "that game" you know? (in brad's words) lol

May 5, 2018
Here are some of my favorite pieces of music in 2020. Though I'm not sure these will all be showcased in the best music category:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I was so glad TLOU2 edged out GoT for visuals yesterday. I was getting so frustrated listening. I was like "call me in, I have an argument that can shut GoT out and solve this for you instantly!". They got there themselves, largely by Vinny saving the day by explaining that actually, TLOU2 has impeccable art direction too, it's just not a game that is like "LOOK AT ALL THE ART DIRECTION!!!" like GoT is. Their tendency to overlook art direction in games grounded in reality can be infuriating.

Ended up in a great top three and winner though.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
that music is way too loud, lol. won't be able to hear anybody when they start playing stuff

edit: Jan's on the volume knob so its all good

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaand immediately dropping out to avoid 13 Sentinels spoilers. Someone post when they're past that, please. :p

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Lol... "Is everybody naked while they're listening to that?" ... "I wanted to be"

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I do not like that they subbed out the list in the middle. I can't easily follow along with this because no one is updating us on what they are talking about like when they had the list up in the middle.

EDIT: And then they put it up. haha

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing really needs to be in top 3 for this at least(and in overall goty, but I know that won't happen).

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Animal Crossing right now while I listen to GOTY deliberations and them playing AC music at the same time is weirding me out lol

Oct 28, 2017
Hottest mess or similar is surely coming. They're expecting Avengers to come back for one more category :)

Hottest mess seemed like one of the reasons they got away from categories in the first place, I doubt it's coming back. Especially this year when the actual winner should probably just be "America".

Worst game or something like that seems much more likely.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
AC is winning this for sure. Sending my energy to FFVIIR for a runner up spot.

Edit: RIP

Last edited:

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cool that Fightin' Herds is getting a shout-out. I also really loved the soundtrack back when it was a My Little Pony fangame.