• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
Old format and watching live were so good this year!! Brad and Alex's write ups were brilliant too. There's a great spread of games across the list I think. KRZ and Animal Crossing were pretty poor for my money but I totally get why they're there. Spiritfarer and Ori doing so well made it for me, top 2 were fairly locked going in!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
congrats to hades. in a year full of great AAA games an indie game getting most of the important awards is really something special.

it's my goty as well, 90 hours in and nowhere near done with it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't able to read Alex's piece on Spiritfarer because I haven't played it yet, but everything else I read was great. Jeff's extended outro (I mean, really it's the main piece but you know what I mean) on the KLF was surprisingly touching.

I'm still kind of bowled over by Yakuza being so high on the list and 13 Sentinels making the list at all. Brings a tear to my eye, both fantastic games.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Trolling
I came in expecting to completely disagree because I find Giant Bomb to be a terrible site when it comes to gaming impressions, and wow I'm not disappointed. Garbage list.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Way behind, still on day 2, but I bought Spiritfarer due to comments made so far. Didn't realize it was by the Jotun and Sundered team either as I enjoyed those games despite minor flaws.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I came in expecting to completely disagree because I find Giant Bomb to be a terrible site when it comes to gaming impressions, and wow I'm not disappointed. Garbage list.

You have the distinct honor of being like the only person in 20+ pages to ignore these completely

image.png

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
The Last of Us 2 got done dirty.

The combat & exploration in that game are nothing short of jaw-dropping imo. Alex didn't miss a beat to snipe it out of the top 10, haha.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Any mention/discussion of

Doom Eternal
Crusader Kings 3
Wasteland 3
Desperados 3
Demons Soul

for GOTY?

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I still laugh thinking about Abby trying to figure out why Jeff didn't like the game only to realize he never figured out about the translator tool. That's such an essential part of the experience and he rushed past it, leaving him hopping around space with no context for anything lmao
To be fair to Jeff, I found the translator and still felt completely lost for 75% of the game.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I think this is one of the best GB has ever done. Really looking forward to playing Yakuza on PS5 and I guess I need to check out Spiritfarer ASAP. Every other game on the list I believe earned its spot and I'm super happy to see 13 Sentinels on there.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
TLOU2, Demon's Souls, GoT, FF7R, Doom Eternal, Half Life: Alex...The lack of the not even one of these in the top 10 seems almost intentional, but it's nice to see a different list like this I guess.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2, Demon's Souls, GoT, FF7R, Doom Eternal, Half Life: Alex...The lack of the not even one of these in the top 10 seems almost intentional, but it's nice to see a different list like this I guess.

TLOU2, GOT, FF7R were all close contenders. TLOU2 turned several off them off because it was so bleak and they say it was the worst possible timing from them. GOT suffers from them being so experienced with open worlds that it's lack of doing much new hit them harder than a lot of critics. Only 2 of them played FF7R and while they enjoyed it the passion wasn't there. Doom none of them finished it because they didn't enjoy the combat loop. HL:A none of them have access to room scale standing VR.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have you listened to the podcasts at all? Each of them is discussed, and there are decent reasons for them not being present.

You'd have thought that the site that put out ~20 hours of discussions around their GOTY choices might be immune to this sort of pass-agg "Gee, I wonder why they didn't pick the games I like?" comment, but I guess not.
Great list! Kinda refreshing to see a non Sony bias list.
...Astro's Playroom hit the upper echelons almost purely because of Sony nostalgia. It's not biased, but this is a WEIRD year to make that comment!

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, it seems like a good list overall. I didn't love Ori the way some of them did, but I can still respect its gameplay and polish.

I need to play Hades eventually, but I'd really rather wait/hope for it to come out on Xbox than play it on my Switch. And I'm still kicking myself for getting Watch Dogs over Yakuza back when they were both on sale.

Surprised, but happy to see Spiritfarer so high. It really sunk its teeth in me for a few days while playing through it.

mowmow

Aug 22, 2018
This years deliberation were very enjoyable to watch. I now have a few games that I want to play like Hades, Spiritfarer, Yakuza. I'm shocked that FF7 was not on the list, but I am not surprised at all since this is the GB crew talking about GOTY. Seeing 13th Sentinel Aegis Rim actually be on the top 10 list was a real nice surprise.

Last edited:

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Have you listened to the podcasts at all? Each of them is discussed, and there are decent reasons for them not being present.

You'd have thought that the site that put out ~20 hours of discussions around their GOTY choices might be immune to this sort of pass-agg "Gee, I wonder why they didn't pick the games I like?" comment, but I guess not.

...Astro's Playroom hit the upper echelons almost purely because of Sony nostalgia. It's not biased, but this is a WEIRD year to make that comment!
Tony hawk shouldn't have made it on the list. It was a 7-8 choice for only 2 people but last of us part 2 was on 3-4 people's list and high on their lists. Think vinny had it at 3.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

Lists that you disagree with are actually very valuable, since they show you other opinions that may open you up to discover new and exciting games you would never have touched otherwise! Unless you come to GOTY lists to just verify your own opinion, and at that point just make your own list in words, copy it a bunch of times and look at that i guess?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Lists that you disagree with are actually very valuable, since they show you other opinions that may open you up to discover new and exciting games you would never have touched otherwise! Unless you come to GOTY lists to just verify your own opinion, and at that point just make your own list in words, copy it a bunch of times and look at that i guess?
Yea that is such a weird take. Alex's write up was so moving I was compelled to check out Spiritfarer on Game Pass. Hearing the praise for Yakuza makes me wanna try that too as it was Brad's first Yakuza so I may end up enjoying it too.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
In the year Dream Daddy made the list, was Yakuza 0 bounced out of there to accommodate it? I only got round to Yakuza 0 this year and it's made me revisit that decision in a whole new light

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the best GOTY years they've ever had. Great discussions all around, and a great final list. Being remote had almost no negative impact, it felt totally natural aside from a couple moments of talking over each other.

2017 was the year that broke the old format, and 2020 brought it back in the best way possible. Would I still like them to kill Best Music in favor of another (almost any other) category? Sure I would. But beggars can't be choosers.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the best GOTY years they've ever had. Great discussions all around, and a great final list. Being remote had almost no negative impact, it felt totally natural aside from a couple moments of talking over each other.

2017 was the year that broke the old format, and 2020 brought it back in the best way possible. Would I still like them to kill Best Music in favor of another (almost any other) category? Sure I would. But beggars can't be choosers.

I've always found Best Music to be the most boring category. Bring back hottest mess in its place

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I mean, easily the best GOTY list for my money outside my own... my list came out in the end of December (to prove I didn't just copy them, lol)

www.darkstation.com

Andrew's Top 5 Games of 2020 — DarkStation

In most ways, 2020 was the weirdest year of my life. I think that’s probably true for the vast majority of people reading this. Between a pandemic, transitioning to working from home, an absolutely insane election, everything changed overnight and I found myself for the first time in a long time in

7 of my top 10 made their top 10, with my #1 winning. (Hades, KRZ, 13 Sentinels, THPS1&2, Spiritfarer, Miles Morales, Ori)

Another of my top 10 was their final cut. (The Last of Us 2)

Another made their "This Does Hang Here" list. (Umurangi)

The last at least made their top 25 (Streets of Rage 4)

Of their 3 which didn't make my list, Astro was my final cut. (I was torn between it and Ori, decided to cut Astro in the end because it's a pack in and thus didn't need the plug) Yakuza would have been in my top 15 (really good, but not my favorite Yakuza. Had a few issues with the combat system and pacing. Still love the cast and overall the game. Look forward to an even better sequel). Animal Crossing was my most played game of 2020 and while I had too many issues with it in the end (and it should have been cut), I still did enjoy it overall.

Heck, even my finalists which didn't make my top 10 (FF7 Remake, Yakuza, Astro, There is No Game, Bugsnax, Animal Crossing, Fall Guys) all got a fair amount of positive talk or did well outside of Fall Guys.

The one thing I'd change? I'd have them look at their GOTY finalists and be realistic about what has a chance, cutting those that don't, before making the "This Does Hang Here" award. I feel for example that There is No Game would have been a lock for that list if it weren't still hanging onto the top 25 list with no possibility of making the final 10.

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
Alex's writeup for Spiritfarer is legitimately emotional. His love and passion for that game makes even more sense after reading it. Makes perfect sense that the game would resonate so deeply with him.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Well uh, at least I can agree that Hades is great, and probably my #2 for the year.

Is Yakuza that good? Like I'm sure it's fine, but I think this is the first time I've seen it this high on a GOTY list?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

Totally agree about best music. It's so different from other categories because people will argue for or (mostly) against music when their only experience of it is a couple 45 second clips that are completely out of context. And near the end, it's brief clips that they heard once an HOUR or more ago. And when they try to let the music play for longer almost everyone looks disengaged- they don't want to stretch that segment to 4-5 hours.

When they argue against a game, they've at least put a couple hours into it and then bounced off. And generally speaking when they haven't touched a game at all they'll just stay out of the discussion.

I think Best Music would only be an interesting category if they all exchanged their favorites like a month in advance and then made a good faith effort to listen to at least some of the soundtrack while driving or cleaning or something. It's still totally out of context but at least it gives people a real experience of the work.

Oct 28, 2020
I'm very happy Yakuza got some props this year, my GOTY by far. I really enjoyed the discussions this year! The one big thing I thought would get discussed that didn't at the time was Paper Mario in the best music category.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I would like a "biggest news story" category. Would help them break up the game specific talk and it's something everyone would have an opinion on. Plus it's a fun look back at the previous year.

Could be a hot mess, could be a great innovation, could be a shift in the industry...lots of options and potentially a lot of good discussion.