• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not *as* positive as Vinny but I'm pretty close to Vinny and Brad's feelings on Last of Us 2. It's fine, it has some successful moments but it is long winded and belabors its moments and themes to death and just feels like it could really use an editor. Like Vinny said, I didn't have any thoughts to mull over or think about after it concluded, the game had made sure of that. There was a weird subtlety and nuance that they managed to strike with Last of Us 1 and its ending and 2 just felt like the opposite.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Hit mute when TLoU 2 talk started and came back once I saw AC got highlighted. New Horizons is a great game that still disappoints in quite a few areas yet is also still charming and solid for AC. That said, it absolutely hit at the right time and was needed this year. There's something meaningful there.

Jeff the Animal Crossing hipster over here.
Slowly becoming one myself tbh.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This Animal Crossing talk is wild. I never knew there was any negatives for it until now.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I like Alex's point about denying Animal Crossing's presence being sort of a willful denial about the impact that the game had on a lot of people. Jeff's so hung up on it not being as good as previous Animal Crossings that he's ignoring how much of a presence this game did have in people's lives. Animal Crossing isn't the best game this year, but it was instrumental in allowing my girlfriend and I to share a game in our lives during 2020 and have some escapism.

Jeff seems to consider a lot of the games in this list to be not stellar, so I guess I'm just not understanding why he's so focused on getting rid of this particular game especially when it's been so impactful for others. Why not vote to eliminate another game he's indifferent to?

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so conflicted on Animal Crossing... Nintendo dropped the ball so hard on this game in terms of QoL issues, poor updates, terrible and repetitive dialogue, performance issues and having the worst online connectivity in a game ever, but it is by far the most number of hours I put in an Animal Crossing game, mostly due to the pandemic of course. There was just something comforting about just logging on for 15-30 minutes a day, even after finishing up my island. It'll probably make my personal top 10, but man, what a disappointing game. One could say, it was the most disappointing game of 2020.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off Animal Crossing a week after it came out, was a pain to play.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda only care about where these divisive games end up now. I'm learning so much about games I only heard was super positive lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing doesn't deserve to be in their top 10, it would be an easy nominee for most disappointing if they did the category this year.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As a big Animal Crossing fan, I understand not wanting to award New Horizons for it's frustrating parts (specifically how hard it is to get new furniture and the garbage online).

But because of the pandemic, New Horizon got HUGE and defined 2020, so I'll let it slide.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing is a super flawed game but I can't deny that it had a huge impact for me seeing friend virtually this year. With that being said, it's #10 for me. :P

I'm surprised that they began the discussion with two most contentious games out of this middle list xD

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The number 1 game of the year not making the cut at Giant Bomb again. Classic.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Is 13 Sentinel really going to make the top 10? Is it that great?

I've got it downloaded but I haven't played yet but after hearing some talk about it I wonder how it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Death Metalist I'm gonna need that gif of Ben and Dan talking about the rain in BOTW for this conversation
Q4Vzf4o.gif

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Death Metalist I'm gonna need that gif of Ben and Dan talking about the rain in BOTW for this conversation
hot take: dan was completely correct in that discussion, he just phrased it poorly. rain in botw was a challenge you could get around with multiple methods and also comes with benefits, which is one of the cornerstones of game design, and everyone else tried to wilfully misinterpret that as a meaningless impediment for realism's sake

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff being the one defending FF7. This is a whole new world.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Haven't played FF7 Remake yet (or the original I KNOW OKAY) but it is just getting gutted in these deliberations and I feel bad for it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Jan and Ben were the worst when it comes to representing FF7R lmao. Jeff of all people was like "wait a minute omg."

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Jan and Ben aren't Square Enix PR. They clearly just aren't really passionate about the game so they aren't fighting for it that much.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
i liked the slow parts of the first Spider-Man 🤷‍♂️

well, the character moments. not the puzzles lol

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, FF7 Remake is clearly meant for people who played OG FF7, and neither Ben nor Jan played the original.