• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the format like on this?

I see they've at least gone back to handing out a couple awards everyday, rather than the first 3 days just being endless game discussion.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
"It sounds like Hollywood movie music" is like an anti-argument, and calling it generic is just... I don't even know what to do with those comments, lol.
Yeah, saying Ori sounds the same as something like Inception or Tenet is patently absurd.

You wanna talk about something sounding the same? Try this:

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is the format like on this?

I see they've at least gone back to handing out a couple awards everyday, rather than the first 3 days just being endless game discussion.
Two categories a day, with a lot more in-depth discussion (each day has been 3-4 hours, with half the categories of previous years).

Monday had Best Looking and Best Dad, yesterday had Best Music and Best Multiplayer, and today will have Best Gamefeel and Best Posse. There'll be two more categories tomorrow, and then a standalone GOTY discussion on Friday.

The discussion's been pretty good so far- as you can see, they've tried to keep some of the goofier categories, and I think it benefits the chat as a whole (Best Dad might legitimately have been the most contentious category so far).

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Ohhhh it's best posse! I thought it was best party (like a celebration)

or do they mean best cast of characters and not RPG party?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having some serious trouble coming up with anything that can beat Yakuza for Best Posse. I'm having trouble coming up with other noms, tbh

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Depressing that easily two of the best soundtracks of the year, Genshin Impact and Paradjse Killer, weren't even nominated, I'm assuming because not enough people played them
I don't think anyone has spoken about Paradise Killer but I think Jeff, Jan and Jason played Genshin. Clearly the music didn't stick with them.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Honeybee Inn section count as a party? Oh it is best posse, I thought they had said party, though I can see how party can mean posse but not the other weay round...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point I'm just gonna be watching these a while down the line. Already got more spoiled for some games than I'd have liked given that they still got cut (to be clear, being spoiled is on me, I just wanted it to mean something!) and I think as we get into the next few categories that's just gonna continue. So I'd rather wait until I've at least played FF7R and a few other games myself, which... I may or may not reasonably do within the next few months. It'll happen sometime.

Sucks to miss it live cause day 1 was fun, but this is what I get for playing FF14 instead of other games for like... the back half of 2020, at this point.

...meanwhile I'm realizing that I'm not sure if I ever watched the last bit of GOTY last year, lol. Think I had like 30 minutes to an hour left. Maybe I use that to still feel like GOTY is happening.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
game feel predix:
*astro's playroom
hades
ori

personal pix:
*doom eternal
hades
ff7 remake

posse predix:
*yakuza like a dragon
spiritfarer
ff7 remake

personal pix:
*ff7 remake
hades
wide ocean big jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
That aside, looking forward to tomorrow. Best music(soundtrack) of the year is going to be a bloodbath.
Yup. It was fun all around though. Poor FF7R lasting only a few minutes on the list. It's my personal top choice for the year. The entire soundtrack goes above and beyond just a trip down through memory lane in orchestral form.

However, I'm glad Brad got Ori on at least. It is an exceptional soundtrack though it is not in my top 3 but it is an honorable mention. Mostly because when it comes to orchestral music, The Pathless does some incredible stuff with mixing instruments from different cultures. Quite surprised of no mention of TLOU2 or Streets of Rage 4 at all. Both are fantastic as well. Looking forward to today. Doom Eternal would be my pick by far for best game feel.

Hey DM, Great picks!
Hey there Dan! Great hearing from you again.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Question for folks here about Hades spoilers so far. I haven't started watching but planned on it this afternoon from day 1 on.
I've only beaten the game twice so far, so I've only got to the point where I understand that Hades lied to Zag about his mother. I just got some insight into why, but that's really about it. Do they spoil deeper than that? I assume so. Thanks!

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Question for folks here about Hades spoilers so far. I haven't started watching but planned on it this afternoon from day 1 on.
I've only beaten the game twice so far, so I've only got to the point where I understand that Hades lied to Zag about his mother. I just got some insight into why, but that's really about it. Do they spoil deeper than that? I assume so. Thanks!

Don't watch or at least be wary of day 1. Ben basically spoils the true ending.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, they talk about the credits and the epilogue. When they start playing 'in the blood' I suggest you skip ahead/mute. There's a sentence that's like "It ends with!!" during the best dad section.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I preferred the static image of Ben compared to lying in bed.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I feel both the best graphics and best music categories were very coloured by how much they like/dislike the actual games, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
By their description of "Best Game Feel," I feel like that FF7 remake should be part of this...the combat is SO GOOD...but it's easy to just mash your way through the game your first time through. There are a lot of hidden mechanics that I didn't find out about until my second playthrough. Like, I didn't know you could play Tifa like THIS:

Maaan, I wanna PC version of this game so bad so I can play through it again a 4th time.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
And FF7R is eliminated again. Wow. Damn the combat in that game is insanely great.

I feel it won't be top 3 in any of their categories.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Finally been able to listen to this and man, I can't help but love these goty discussions. For me, Tony Hawk takes Game Feel but I'll be happy if it hits top 3.

Also the music during breaks and before it starts really making me miss E3 @ nite.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
get a bunch of dashes, aspect of eris, dionysus on main attack, aphrodite on special, and try to get the rocket and/or triple special hammer upgrades and the duo boon that allows more hangover stacks on enemies inflicted with weak

you are an untouchable god

theseus melts

everything melts