• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Speaking Of Cum Stains, Shout Out To Our Seamen

Votes: 76 32.9%
  • You Did The Job

Votes: 59 25.5%
  • Rorie's Beatin' It

Votes: 34 14.7%
  • A Message Of Hope And Cheer

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Wallbabies

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Is That What A Man Can Be?

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Subject Line Transphobia

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
im trying to refrain from speculation but yeah it is a bit weird ey

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
Started watching the stream. This feels too weird. I'm sure I'll get used to it... It feels like when a friend group breaks into 2 groups but I'm still friends with everyone and now I gotta divide my hang time.

On another note, i think they'll do playthroughs of long requested games cuz they don't have an excuse not to.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
I have nothing but good feels toward this entire thing. Sad as it sounds, some of the better news I've had this year.

Looking forward to the Nextlander OT. (hopefully)

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Went to YouTube and held down End for a bit out of curiosity, and I'm... really not seeing any difference at all between now and 2018 if that's the arbitrary comparison point you're pointing to? Most stuff is and was 15-30k. That's also not getting into the Twitch numbers for the same streams that go on YT. Not to mention that the Bombcast remains incredibly popular in audio only form. They've always had to wait to fill new hires even before the pandemic, and Dan left soon before it started so that means very little.

also, anecdotally, I absolutely see talk of them outside of places like this one lol

If you want to believe that they didn't lose any popularity despite all evidence to the contrary, I won't convince you, so why am I even arguing. Most of their stuff has way less views even after all this time, and even 15-30k is extremely low.

2018 was the "arbitrary comparison point" because that's the number that was on their Wikipedia page for some time.

And no, 1.5 years of not hiring any replacements isn't the usual "waiting to fill new hires".

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to believe that they didn't lose any popularity, I won't convince you, so why am I even arguing.

You could convince me they lost popularity. You just won't be able to convince me that it's a dire drop vs a couple years ago without anything to back it up.

Like they're certainly in a shaky make-or-break position rn. I just don't think your very confidently stated beliefs on how that happened make much sense.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Looking at the Nextlander success on Patreon I hope this actually gives Jeff some leverage with Red Ventures, along the lines of "Look what kind of following I could command if I left too, this needs to be worth my while"

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
You could convince me they lost popularity. You just won't be able to convince me that it's a dire drop vs a couple years ago without anything to back it up.

Like they're certainly in a shaky make-or-break position rn. I just don't think your very confidently stated beliefs on how that happened make much sense.

They lost popularity and are no longer part of the gaming zeitgeist, why do I need to provide some theory on "how that happened"?

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
just gonna talk about alexa rankings to bolster my argument about how a website is dying. you know, totally normal stuff.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
just gonna talk about alexa rankings to bolster my argument about how a website is dying. you know, totally normal stuff.

So if Alexa rankings are taboo, what metrics does threadmaster iiicon (who is totally normal) allow me to bring to the argument? Should I PM you next time before writing a post? I think this is what is commonly called "toxic positivity"

And what about all those people that left since 2020? Am I allowed to mention those? Or the fact the site is undergoing a restructuring?

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
If they've been slipping over the last year its because the pandemic fucked up all of their work models and then they just went through an acquisition. I think GB is in a rough spot for sure, but there's absolutely a chance here to reinviorate it into something new, the name Bombcast still carries a lot of weight.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
how good or bad giant bomb is doing is obfuscated cos you can't judge it by normal youtube metrics due to the sub/onsite model and the corporate ownership. tbh the general feeling is definitely less than hype, but given they have, you know, actual full time employees at all that probably still puts the in the top echelon of games coverage relatively speaking.

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I feel like the scale of some of the reactions after these three guys left and the events of today actually have me believe that GB was still more popular than I thought. Like, they created a very succesful Patreon out of thin air and were literally part of the site a few weeks ago.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They lost popularity and are no longer part of the gaming zeitgeist, why do I need to provide some theory on "how that happened"?

How are you determining what makes them part of the "gaming zeitgeist" beyond Alexa rankings, of all things? I would assume having one of the most popular gaming podcasts puts them up there but...

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
How are you determining what makes them part of the "gaming zeitgeist" beyond Alexa rankings, of all things? I would assume having one of the most popular gaming podcasts puts them up there but...

Do you have any metrics that prove their podcast is still very popular and that would be enough to finance this large a staff? Please show me some receipts.

I would assume having fewer and fewer page impressions, low viewership on Youtube and a site-restructring in progress after all of the editorial staff departed would make it self-evident the site declined in popularity but ...

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1Week): Hostility towards other user.
Do you have any metrics that prove their podcast is still very popular and would be enough to finance this large a staff? Please show me some receipts.

I would assume having fewer and fewer page impressions, low viewership on Youtube and a site-restructring in progress after all of the editorial staff departed would make it self-evident the site declined in popularity but ...
no one cares, shut the fuck up

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any metrics that prove their podcast is still very popular and that would be enough to finance this large a staff? Please show me some receipts.

Apple's podcast charts?
5T8gIee.jpeg

wtLcuoZ.jpeg

EDIT:
also I am still not sure at all where you're getting low viewership on YouTube from, like what's your standard on that

Last edited:

Voras

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a shocker that a poster who got threadbanned for trolling in a thread about people leaving giant bomb has been trolling the giant bomb community thread.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I don't read every post in this thread. Their Alexa ranking has dropped a ton since 2018 (they used to be in the 3000 range, now below 16000), they barely have any Youtube views, constant Premium sales, they are being rebuilt, no new full-time hires for a long time. It's very much self-evident.

Everything else has been rebuffed but I still enjoy the "constant" premium sales that happen at the same time and same frequency every year.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

2014-09-19-1062sea.png

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Watching Brad power wash just after watching Jan power wash is a bit weird.

what if NL and GB do competing Endurance Runs....

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Everything else has been rebuffed but I still enjoy the "constant" premium sales that happen at the same time and same frequency every year.

Yeah, April/May, End of August, and Black Friday. Every year. And every year people concern troll "why are there so many sales, are they in trouble?"

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Brad power wash just after watching Jan power wash is a bit weird.

what if NL and GB do competing Endurance Runs....
If a group of 3 people doing their own podcast and content threaten the popularity and/or production of a company with over 3,500 that speaks to management of the Giantbomb website and a need for resources/re-evaluation of what Giantbomb can or should be.

Honestly I hope this is a shot in the arm for everyone over at GB. Jan seems excited and if Jeff is truly excited for what his and RedVenture's vision of a podcast/wiki/video channel is in 2021 then we will see it now.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
My small group of friends and I got back into No Man's Sky over the weekend. Started from scratch because I stopped playing before the first update hit. It's changed so much! We are having a blast so far. Probably won't keep up with it like we did with Valheim.

Twin Tails

Oct 25, 2017
for the divorced parents e3 time
imma watch live on gb with jeff and co
then switch quick to nextland and waypoint joint and quick watch their react/takes

Draxyle

Oct 27, 2017
Renewed my GB subscription just a couple days ago. Felt I owed them that at least. I think there's room to see a bunch of new talent at a Neo Giantbomb and also have the comfort of the old-guard in Nextlander as two separate entities.

I just hope that a studio is in the plans for Nextlander, one of their own design for once. I can't imagine that this three-person remote thing is all they'll do going forward.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I tweeted this to Vinny, Alex, and Brad. One thing that really excites me is being able to see Vinny and Alex (with Brad as a newcomer) check out Kerbal Space Program 2. Project B.E.A.S.T. still remains one of my favorite GB series of all time!

Also, maybe Vinny and Alex can continue playing KOTOR!

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy that Vinny, Alex, and Brad can do this, and more power to them, but on a personal level, these paid podcast subscriptions are gonna get expensive. I was already thinking about subbing to Waypoint Plus, but now there's Nextlander. I was even on the fence about paying for the Techpod before all that!

I dunno if I can afford to support them all. I might have to cancel GB premium unless they announce something cool really soon.

All these podcasts/Patreons are also gonna have to compete with my money towards the other streaming services like Netflix and HBO Max, too. I guess I can cancel Peacock now since I don't even watch WWE anymore, lol.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I wonder if Vinny is planning to get some sort of studio space eventually.

Alex would probably have to move to Jersey to make that feasible. Anything that's currently convenient for both of them to get to (i.e. Manhattan) is still incredibly expensive. There are absolutely deals to be had right now (which is why Abby can still afford office space) but only in the right areas.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
All these podcasts/Patreons are also gonna have to compete with my money towards the other streaming services like Netflix and HBO Max, too. I guess I can cancel Peacock now since I don't even watch WWE anymore, lol.

I try to keep my monthly subscriptions fees at around $25. It's currently at $26, with $10 for Spotify, $10 for Paramount+, $5 for Discord Nitro, and $1 for Technology Connection's Patreon. Paramount+ will likely go in the coming months once I get my fill of classic Nick content.

BigBoss

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Also I imagine Jeff didn't want to lose his health insurance with a second baby on the way, its almost like attaching healthcare to your employment is a really stupid idea.