• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • Big Dick Daddy Dom

Votes: 128 52.2%
  • It's Terrible. I Love It!

Votes: 49 20.0%
  • No Wrestling Or Anime. Only Video Games.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Give Me The Bird's ass, Or Give Me Death

Votes: 22 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
it is striking how poor the encounters are in me2; they seem in the same league as ME1's. i hadn't noticed that when playing myself, but watching it makes it hard to miss. it's waves of enemies vaguely aware of the game being played, without the tools to really participate themselves.

everything just looks so thrown together

The difficulty setting makes a big difference.

I won't say it's a masterpiece of encounter design. But on higher difficulties almost every enemy has a type of shield and they use their powers more.

Efficiently clearing a room requires smart use of weaponry and/or powers as well as combos with your squad. Aka, using your powers on cooldown, always.

I'm not going to say Alex plays wrong but with his playstyle he should really just have picked soldier, as his abilites would actually complement his playstyle.

The sentinel shines in CQC where you use your armor exploding offensively. It also requires squaddies that can trigger you lift/ combo with shockwave. Squadmates abilites don't need to arc, so those will always trigger the explosion when primed.

With a controller you need to pause semi-frequently to do this, but that makes this easier instead of harder.

Oct 25, 2017
it is striking how poor the encounters are in me2; they seem in the same league as ME1's. i hadn't noticed that when playing myself, but watching it makes it hard to miss. it's waves of enemies vaguely aware of the game being played, without the tools to really participate themselves.

Bioware Magic

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is easier in that I don't think I ever died to a standard enemy in Sekiro even once. You can mostly just spam attacks at the plebs until they die, and if you ever get ganged up on you are so mobile that you can almost always escape.

Bosses were probably pretty par difficulty from a From game I guess. The final boss was overhyped.
Plus it's very forgiving in that it works like a modern video game. It prevents you from dying by accidentally falling off a ledge, or not putting down a trap that kills you instantly that you'll only know about on future runs.
shouout to rotator cuff tendonitis for keeping me company during these dark times. i know you only hurt me because you're there for me
My patellar tendonitis says hi!

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

I noticed that plenty when I first played it.

I couldn't believe it when I went back and hear the crew praise its gunplay.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very sad that Alex switched from Vanguard, which is the best ME class in 2 and 3. But knowing Alex he would never have used Charge or the shotgun, which would have made it even more boring to watch the combat sections.

Without nostalgia goggles I definitely think ME2 is nothing special. It's been sobering seeing these games again. I think the term I used last time was shlocky B-tier sci-fi, which is about as generous as I can be about it. ME2 is funnier though, I'll give it that.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Presentation was a huge part of mass effects appeal. The fully voiced RPG with the presentation of an action game was still novel back them.

And also, ME 2 was one of the better written (AAA) games when it came out.

For as stagnant as AAA games can be, the competition caught up quickly. By Mass Effect 3 the novelty was already starting to wear off and other games were starting to pull off the "bioware formula" better than bioware.

Storytelling in big budget games has also made leaps forward, even if there's still ways to go.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
being an adept could be really fun in me3... but you rely on abilities more than ever.

the way they handled cooldowns in 3 was really clever.

May 5, 2018
Oh yeah, how could I forget about Mass Alex. Need to watch Alex mine some sweet planets.

Also watched that EDF Iron Rain quick look. Visually speaking it looks better than the EDF game from January. But I can see where Jason comes from in that the physics seem off and the missions are dull and aren't chaotic fun messes like that last one was. Also you can't sing the EDF song!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
2y71u3.jpg

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit than Dr. Mengel voice combined with Jason death in the EDF quick look straight up killed me, hilarious.

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I played ME1-3 as an infiltrator and I was too busy doing slowmo headshots to notice anything about encounter design. When I replayed 2 on the hardest mode I had to be a lot more mindful about who I brought to missions to strip shields/armor/barriers, but I'd imagine the combat isn't very interesting if you barely engage with that entire mechanic.

It wasn't until I got deep into ME3 multiplayer that I really started to have fun with ME gameplay. Punching everything as a Krogan, using biotic combos, spamming abilities so hard as a Vanguard you were always in some state of invulnerability frames and then lagging through the floor...

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
d984e2b917caaa88d20d498d9de86c6133513f7f.jpg

The little girl from Idris Elba's new Netflix show reminds me of Abby in small child form. Right down to the acerbic wit.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is in the best position to skip streaming if they want to.

But they already have a streaming service up and running, which makes that pretty unlikely.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will suck next gen.

It's the future, but still 10 years away from replacing consoles as the go tp place to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is in the best position to skip streaming if they want to.

But they already have a streaming service up and running, which makes that pretty unlikely.

but their service is pretty limited in scope. they don't have the infrastructure to expand it out the way Google is and Microsoft can do. In that race - Sony loses. So it's more likely they introduce it in a limit capacity or skip it entirely and hope it doesn't take off.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
what

sony literally commands a streaming service right now
edit this isn't directed at anyone. the notion of sony skipping streaming just blows my mind

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Legit bummed how every one of them are on the "competition is good" side of the EGS debate on this recent bombcast.

Because the primary reason I see cited (lack of features) is a problem that will eventually be solved. All the other shit, as they said, is pseudo-racism/xenophobia with all the "I DON'T WANT THE CHINESE TO HAVE MY DATA!" nonsense. Facebook already has all your data, Google already has all your data. White guys in California have already been collecting shit on you for years, but now the vague idea of a giant Chinese company doing it (which they've said they're not doing, FWIW) has people up in arms.

It's another free launcher on PC, it's not that serious. And the competition is already getting a rise out of Valve, which is a good thing. Things like Humble Store, GMG, and GOG were never gonna keep Valve on their toes. And that's still not even mentioning how the split is more beneficial to developers.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

The PC building/DDR UPF is on Infinite.

I really wish the home releases of DDR had better song selection than what Konami released in the US. The later games had some really odd and questionable choices. Doesn't help that like a quarter of list are from bands no one has ever heard of and aren't what you would consider good DDR tracks either.

What always gets me is that while it seems like Konami wanted to get more than hardcore DDR fans to buy and play DDR at home, it was still too niche to appeal to most people and the crap setlist put off DDR fans. What's left is people either happy they can play Butterfly on a dance pad at home or jumping ship to Stepmania.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
but their service is pretty limited in scope. they don't have the infrastructure to expand it out the way Google is and Microsoft can do. In that race - Sony loses. So it's more likely they introduce it in a limit capacity or skip it entirely and hope it doesn't take off.

I mean, building serverfarms - or renting them - isn't outside of sonys scope. And that's assuming demand actually explodes instead of buildind up gradually.

I just don't see why Sony looses this race by default. MS has yet to have huge success outside the US. And the US is riddled with datacaps.

And Google is pretty new to this type of gaming. I'm not sure why many are acting like they'll nail it from the get go

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Probably this year, but there's a lot left to do:

Liara's stuff, Thane recruitment and loyalty, Samara recruitment and loyalty, Garrus loyalty, Grunt loyalty, Mordin loyalty, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Tali loyalty, finish main quest line, The Arrival.
It would help (also be more enjoyable) if it was filmed more than once per week but I know Vinny and Alex have other priorities. The sessions could be longer too but that's up to Alex and Vinny. Regardless I'm glad we have episodes weekly.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, building serverfarms - or renting them - isn't outside of sonys scope. And that's assuming demand actually explodes instead of buildind up gradually.

I just don't see why Sony looses this race by default. MS has yet to have huge success outside the US. And the US is riddled with datacaps.

And Google is pretty new to this type of gaming. I'm not sure why many are acting like they'll nail it from the get go

To be able to do this - you need to be able to build a mammoth datacenter grid across the globe with plenty of endpoints and also deals with ISP for routing and what not (also potentially deals similar to what Netflix has where some games are actually houses at ISP for even faster response times). This requires capital obviously but also the ability to literally put the farms in place. Google and Microsoft already have these in place and have a proven ability to build it out. Sony just doesn't have that and they are much smaller than their competition. I just don't think Sony has the capacity to build an infrastructure to that scale. They're already behind and only falling further and further behind.

I'm pretty sure Sony uses AWS for PS Now but don't quote me on that. You don't win this race by piggy backing on another company's servers - you need to be able to control that environment.

Now, if Amazon decided to fully partner with Sony? That changes things a bit.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Cool... The game had many flaws but I still enjoyed it. I might actually pick it up of it gets super cheap on PC at some point.

Hey Joeku did you ever ended up playing it?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno who Gentleman Jack is since I don't watch WWE but he fits in so nicely with the Beast crew. Good guest.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
To be able to do this - you need to be able to build a mammoth datacenter grid across the globe with plenty of endpoints and also deals with ISP for routing and what not (also potentially deals similar to what Netflix has where some games are actually houses at ISP for even faster response times). This requires capital obviously but also the ability to literally put the farms in place. Google and Microsoft already have these in place and have a proven ability to build it out. Sony just doesn't have that and they are much smaller than their competition. I just don't think Sony has the capacity to build an infrastructure to that scale. They're already behind and only falling further and further behind.

I'm pretty sure Sony uses AWS for PS Now but don't quote me on that. You don't win this race by piggy backing on another company's servers - you need to be able to control that environment.

Now, if Amazon decided to fully partner with Sony? That changes things a bit.

My point is mostly that infrastructre advantages don't automatically translate to a compelling product. And that's, utlimately, what will "win" this race.

We've seen a lot of talk and very little concrete details about these services so far.

The last time Microsoft boasted about their cloud it ended up being a gigantic dud (talking strictly gaming here). And they had all the infrastructure advantages too.

Status
Not open for further replies.