• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • Big Dick Daddy Dom

Votes: 128 52.2%
  • It's Terrible. I Love It!

Votes: 49 20.0%
  • No Wrestling Or Anime. Only Video Games.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Give Me The Bird's ass, Or Give Me Death

Votes: 22 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Huh, I think I'm at the final boss of Sekiro now.

I have still been enjoying it, but also I think this game has big issues. It feels like a flanderisation of From Software's previous games in many ways. Despite being the most radical shift FromSoft has done, a lot of it feels like going through the motions. Some boss encounters also feel designed for a Souls game and not Sekiro (Demon of Hatred) - which is a big problem given the different balances of the system.

Oct 25, 2017
Given Jeff's no bullshit interviews with Phil Spencer, I wonder what questions he will ask about Microsoft's recent sexual harassment news.
He won't. I'm not saying that he should or shouldn't but he won't.
Which honestly is a shame because he's probably one of like three people in mainstream gaming press who would be in a position to and actually get a semi useful answer but yeah

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I think I'm at the final boss of Sekiro now.

I have still been enjoying it, but also I think this game has big issues. It feels like a flanderisation of From Software's previous games in many ways. Despite being the most radical shift FromSoft has done, a lot of it feels like going through the motions. Some boss encounters also feel designed for a Souls game and not Sekiro (Demon of Hatred) - which is a big problem given the different balances of the system.
I think you've basically hit the nail on the head on what's not working about it for me. The combat system they've designed is really good for fighting certain types of enemies but feels terrible for others, but leaning into that would mean there wouldn't really be variety. Which is an issue it already kind of feels like it's suffering from.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I think you've basically hit the nail on the head on what's not working about it for me. The combat system they've designed is really good for fighting certain types of enemies but feels terrible for others, but leaning into that would mean there wouldn't really be variety. Which is an issue it already kind of feels like it's suffering from.
It does have the most fun exploration and level design in a FS game since Dark Souls 1 for me, but the bosses are wildly inconsistent. I want to admire this game more because when it's good it's From Software operating at their peak... but it's not always that.

Oct 27, 2017
My only real issue with Sekiro is they have all these systems that don't get much use. I almost think the game would have been better without the talent trees.

On the other hand:
That ape grabbing the sword and his head for round 2 was classic From Soft.

Last edited:

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to that Waypoint podcast on difficulty and Sekiro, and while I agree with everything they said about how customisable difficulty and accessibility are great trends that should be the standard throughout gaming, I also think it's great that there is at least 1 triple A developer that just says fuck it, and makes the exact game they want to make with no compromise.

I could only buy into the idea that From's approach is A Problem if it was a growing trend that started to limit the audience of gaming as a whole.

Anyway, this conversation has been done to death at this point.

Here is my one line review of Sekiro:
It's really good, but I will be disappointed in 2019 if it ends up being my GOTY (which it is currently).

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I listened to that Waypoint podcast on difficulty and Sekiro, and while I agree with everything they said about how customisable difficulty and accessibility are great trends that should be the standard throughout gaming, I also think it's great that there is at least 1 triple A developer that just says fuck it, and makes the exact game they want to make with no compromise.

I could only buy into the idea that From's approach is A Problem if it was a growing trend that started to limit the audience of gaming as a whole.

Anyway, this conversation has been done to death at this point.

Here is my one line review of Sekiro:
It's really good, but I will be disappointed in 2019 if it ends up being my GOTY (which it is currently).
The game really isn't that hard, you just have to be constantly aggressive and it works 90% of the time.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda the thing, it's funny that the conversation sprung up on the from game where they arguably made quite a few things easier than previous games.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
The game really isn't that hard, you just have to be constantly aggressive and it works 90% of the time.
Whether or not the game is hard is relative to every individual. The no compromise is what I think is the interesting part, and what the discussion is really about.

Sep 12, 2018
I can't help but think a lot of these criticisms of Sekiro are unintentionally falling into the same elitist "git gud" mentality as those being reactionary about them being more accessible. The games are pretty straightforward and forgiving once you give over to their unique logic. Honestly think anyone can beat the likes of Dark Souls no matter how much they've played games in the past. Feel like Sekiro's reputation of being even more difficult than those just comes out of it being a slight reshaping of the formula that people aren't used to too.

Out of the 4 From Software titles I've played I feel Dark Souls 2 is the only one that has some bullshit contrived difficulty. That game is like "how can we be more challenging? idk 10 guys in a thin corridor that run at you with exploding barrels"

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018

I don't get why people are complaining about Yoshi's Crafted World's soundtrack, this doesn't sound bad

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
If we wanted half of GB-era to get banned we should've just joined the Thanos snap game instead of mod whining/bragging about piracy/making dumb transphobic jokes.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think a lot of these criticisms of Sekiro are unintentionally falling into the same elitist "git gud" mentality as those being reactionary about them being more accessible. The games are pretty straightforward and forgiving once you give over to their unique logic. Honestly think anyone can beat the likes of Dark Souls no matter how much they've played games in the past. Feel like Sekiro's reputation of being even more difficult than those just comes out of it being a slight reshaping of the formula that people aren't used to too.

Out of the 4 From Software titles I've played I feel Dark Souls 2 is the only one that has some bullshit contrived difficulty. That game is like "how can we be more challenging? idk 10 guys in a thin corridor that run at you with exploding barrels"
Sekiro only allows for a thin variety of playstyles that some people will never get used to. At some point you just need to learn patterns and react to them. So this current debate didn't really come unexpected.
Like, the way Vinny plays DkS surprised me quite a few times, it's just totally different than me. That's just not possible here.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Whether or not the game is hard is relative to every individual. The no compromise is what I think is the interesting part, and what the discussion is really about.
This is quixotic to me. The relative difficulty is the compromise. This same game studio produced a bunch of games where you could just ask a bunch of people to kill the boss for you and that was okay.

The compromise...the vision is broken by the team members, the publishers, the playtesters, the whosawhatsits. It is something marred by every step of the creative process in the modern world. Nothing is pure. Nothing by a large publisher is truly honest.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
listening to waypwnt and wow @ R** casually bragging about his p*r*t*d cowbop beboy soundtracks and offering to share them with P******

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
This is quixotic to me. The relative difficulty is the compromise.

We're talking about different things here. Difficulty is relative to the individual. Some people will find it impossible to finish Sekiro and there is no compromise for them. They just don't get to finish the game.

I don't think that is a bad thing and some people do. That's what the conversation is about.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
listening to waypwnt and wow @ R** casually bragging about his p*r*t*d cowbop beboy soundtracks and offering to share them with P******

look there has to be some cultural recognition that a lot of us were dirty pirates when we were younger and that influenced a lot of our attitudes to media. however there also has to be the cultural recognition that restera is a

3040436-dj7scpkucaaswuu.jpg

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's souls is probably one of the most pure 0 compromise games out there. Like a lot of the things you don't put in there if you're designing something to appeal to a wide demographic.

And look at the influence it went on to have on the gaming landscape.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
haha he reminds me of my grandpa, he would always tell the same stories over and over again
but at least Grandpa would always start with "I may have said this before..."

To be fair, Dan often introduces his stories like this as well.

Most of the staff is guilty of this to some degree, Dan just seems to derail other conversations the most so it's more obvious.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
hey did you know that miyamoto thinks of the mario cast as an acting troupe and that dan interviewed him

Status
Not open for further replies.