• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect underwent the typical "first game was kinda niche but did well enough, so the second one is more epicer with more explosions and more shooting people in the face" transformation like so many other games. (see also Dead Space).
That's neither good nor bad, depending on your preferences.

How many high fives were given when they thought that line up?
All of them

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, just got it.

DyRDyeOWwAEZnT7.jpg
"Don't worry, our game has nothing to say!"

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
People who like the old CRPG BioWare style seem to view ME2-3 as some sort of failing on BioWare's part but I see it as a nessescary evolution of their house style. Anthem is the next big example of just that. It's a company that's always trying to remain relevant by looking at the wider market and where gamers and games are going and then putting their own spin on it. Largely they've been successful at doing so.
By the same logic though, Andromeda was also an necessary iteration of their "evolution" and given my experience of what I played of Anthem last weekend, it's looking like another massive Andromeda esque disappointment. I definitely see it as a failing on Biowares part, ever since 2 switched things up it's been a steady decline in quality, not just gameplay design, the writing took a massive hit after 1 and it's only devolved more and more. I used to be excited for anything Bioware, now I treat anything from them with proper skepticism, which is why I wasn't too surprised when I launched Anthem and found literally nothing to enjoy.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By the same logic though, Andromeda was also an necessary iteration of their "evolution" and given my experience of what I played of Anthem last weekend, it's looking like another massive Andromeda esque disappointment. I definitely see it as a failing on Biowares part, ever since 2 switched things up it's been a steady decline in quality, not just gameplay design, the writing took a massive hit after 1 and it's only devolved more and more. I used to be excited for anything Bioware, now I treat anything from them with proper skepticism, which is why I wasn't too surprised when I launched Anthem and found literally nothing to enjoy.

Andromeda to BioWare is akin to what Snake's Revenge is to Metal Gear.

That was a new studio that EA slapped the BioWare name on to try to wring more money out of a franchise they paid a lot of money to aquire. I see it having more in common with those cancelled Star Wars projects at EA than it does with the BioWare that made KotOR or ME1-3, which I'd all regard as seminal games for differing reasons.

Anthem was a bunch of fun in the demo. But if you're coming at this from the angle that BioWare is at its heart a CRPG company then you were always going to be disappointed, weren't you?

Oct 25, 2017
The shooting in ME2 is actually a logical evolution from ME1, I have no issues with that. Like, ME1 was already a pretty bad RPG by RPG standards and it didn't play super well either (it's still a fantastic game tho and easily the best ME game....by far). It's the story and writing in ME2 where it all really falls apart.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Andromeda to BioWare is akin to what Snake's Revenge is to Metal Gear.

That was a new studio that EA slapped the BioWare name on to try to wring more money out of a franchise they paid a lot of money to aquire. I see it having more in common with those cancelled Star Wars projects at EA than it does to the BioWare that made KotOR or ME1-3

Anthem was a bunch of fun in the demo. But if your'e still coming at this from the angle that BioWare is at its heart a CRPG company then you were always going to be disappointed, weren't you?
I wasn't expecting anything like a CRPG from Anthem, I was expecting a fun looter-shooter in the vein of Destiny or the Division, when instead I got a game where the combat became dull within literal minutes. Like I said in the demo thread, the worst thing I can say about Anthem is that after 5 minutes of the rote gameplay all I could think is "I should go play Warframe..." when a 6 year old free to play game has better feeling combat than your new AAA effort you've got some serious problems. Not to mention it literally does everything that Anthem is attempting to do.

Although I did play anthem only on KB/M, so maybe it just feels awful on keyboard, I suspect it doesn't feel too bad on gamepad but I was so disinterested after that first mission of "Hey go fly here, hey kill this, hey do it again x3" and seeing that every other mission is a variation on the same thing? Nah I'm checking out. I wish the game had something in it for me, on paper it sounds right up my alley, but the execution is far, far off the mark, and I suspect you'll be hearing a ton of disappointed voices speaking up in the next few days. Destiny is guilty of the same repetitive mission design, but at least it's gameplay is among the best in class, fluid, responsive and takes a loooong time to wear out it's welcome.

The Snakes revenge allegory is preposterous by the way, not really comparative at all and you know it's a massive reach.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't expecting anything like a CRPG from Anthem, I was expecting a fun looter-shooter in the vein of Destiny or the Division, when instead I got a game where the combat became dull within literal minutes. Like I said in the demo thread, the worst thing I can say about Anthem is that after 5 minutes of the rote gameplay all I could think is "I should go play Warframe..." when a 6 year old free to play game has better feeling combat than your new AAA effort you've got some serious problems. Not to mention it literally does everything that Anthem is attempting to do.

Although I did play anthem only on KB/M, so maybe it just feels awful on keyboard, I suspect it doesn't feel too bad on gamepad but I was so disinterested after that first mission of "Hey go fly here, hey kill this, hey do it again x3" and seeing that every other mission is a variation on the same thing? Nah I'm checking out. I wish the game had something in it for me, on paper it sounds right up my alley, but the execution is far, far off the mark, and I suspect you'll be hearing a ton of disappointed voices speaking up in the next few days. Destiny is guilty of the same repetitive mission design, but at least it's gameplay is among the best in class, fluid, responsive and takes a loooong time to wear out it's welcome.

The Snakes revenge allegory is preposterous by the way, not really comparative at all and you know it's a massive reach.

I think it's an absolutely perfect comparison, actually

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do CNet always have Jeffy B doing such stupid stuff

Imagine a world where Jeff could be full-time on Giant Bomb

Heaven

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Claire A done

Time to start Leon B

Which is better between Matilda or one of the Samurai Edge pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.