• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
It's so crazy. I forget this every year too.
Really? Every GB thead on the main Era forum devolves into this eventually; the people who want GB to give them what they want and the people who understand or acknowledge why GB cannot or wont do that and are ok with it.

GOTY pod threads reach that end point lightning quick, but this has been par for the course for most GB threads on Era. At least this time all the negativity is being channeled into the GOTY pod format and not in to bringing up site member grievances.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
All I've seen of Outer Wilds is Brad trying to land on the sun for half an hour, or something.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I've seen of Outer Wilds is Brad trying to land on the sun for half an hour, or something.
That's the right amount of the game to see before you play it.

I would caveat that Jeff's thoughts mirrored mine for the first hour or so, when I was just meandering not really finding any mind blowing stuff. The open nature makes it possible for you to just get surface level on several different story threads which can feel aimless, but once you get one 'ah ha!' moment it will start falling like dominoes.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
if the format continues like this next year. I might skip the day 1 and 2. I doubt some the games mention will not be part of a list
I would rather Alex do: I just wanna say my piece, but this will not make the list
It's three days of recap, not two. They're only up to September so far.
Frankly, I think this format is a complete waste of everyone's time. I think it would have been better for everyone involved if they had spent those first three days on producing fun video content together - especially since their time was more limited this year due to scheduling issues.
The current format was clearly an overreaction to the 2017 discussions. Something had to change, but Jeff seems to think that this is a good answer to that, instead of reflecting on whether it's actually resulting in good content.

Like some have said though, the dark studio needs fixing. What is the reason? Back in the day lights were expensive to buy and run but it's so cheap now an everyone on YT up to speed, I don't get how it's so bad? And it's not good bad low rent low budget style either.
It makes me think that Drew is the guy that understood lighting, because it's been bad ever since he was not involved.
My suspicion is that they're actually over-lit from a few small but bright overhead lights, and it's causing the cameras to stop down the exposure - which is why it looks like a dark hole. It doesn't help that their walls and audio treatment are all black.
But I don't know what their goals were for that studio. Maybe they thought the newscaster/sport desk was an efficient use of space or something, but it just looks like an unwelcoming and depressing place to be in.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who here still gets Outer Wilds & The Outer Worlds mixed up ? Glancing over some of the staff lists this morning and seeing the Outer Wilds listed (without reading any more); I am still thinking that I need to get this being a Fallout fan.....
Outer WOrlds has 'o' for Obsidian
Outer WIlds has 'i' for indie

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand what GB are doing?
Are they doing no awards at all? Or just the game of the year award?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan at all of the format. Don't even think I'm gonna listen this year.

Shame, I look forward to GOTY content all year long. I mean I get it but still, not a fan at all.

I mean, why am I listening to them discussing Left Alive? Kind of a waste of everyone's time.

Oct 30, 2017

Shame, I look forward to GOTY content all year long. I mean I get it but still, not a fan at all.

I mean, why am I listening to them discussing Left Alive? Kind of a waste of everyone's time.

Yeah not gonna lie, the first two days were a total waste. If you listen to the Bomb- & Beastcasts this is completely redundant.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK

They talked about Left Alive for less than 2 minutes. That's kind of the point, if it didn't grab them they swiftly move past it. If it did, they dig deeper. And then it gives context to the awards when you have an idea what the general consensus is for a nomination. I get that without awards being given out yet it can just seem like meandering talk about games they've already discussed throughout the year, but everything they're saying would have been brought up if they were giving awards from day 1, they just would have been shouting it at each other to try and get their game to win which is what they're trying to avoid.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They talked about Left Alive for less than 2 minutes. That's kind of the point, if it didn't grab them they swiftly move past it. If it did, they dig deeper. And then it gives context to the awards when you have an idea what the general consensus is for a nomination. I get that without awards being given out yet it can just seem like meandering talk about games they've already discussed throughout the year, but everything they're saying would have been brought up if they were giving awards from day 1, they just would have been shouting it at each other to try and get their game to win which is what they're trying to avoid.
It doesnt seem nearly as interesting as just doing awards from day one though.
It just feels like stalling for time.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I was prepared to not listening to this because I barely played anything and also didn't listen to any of the podcasts throughout the year but it seems this might actually be the perfect format for me?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Who here still gets Outer Wilds & The Outer Worlds mixed up ? Glancing over some of the staff lists this morning and seeing the Outer Wilds listed (without reading any more); I am still thinking that I need to get this being a Fallout fan.....

Fuck me, until I read your post I was reading people's top 10 lists and thinking I need to play the outer worlds.

Turns out I was reading every list incorrectly.

Oct 3, 2019
I don't really get why people want the arguments toned down. For me, those are the most entertaining and memorable moments of GOTY. I still remember Jeff and Austin's back and forth on Fallout 4. If the GB team want to scale back from that, then by all means, but I never felt that the arguments and rants were excessively negative or malicious and I assume nobody held bad blood over those discussions.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I don't really get why people want the arguments toned down. For me, those are the most entertaining and memorable moments of GOTY. I still remember Jeff and Austin's back and forth on Fallout 4. If the GB team want to scale back from that, then by all means, but I never felt that the arguments and rants were excessively negative or malicious and I assume nobody held bad blood over those discussions.

I think it's more that the GB folks themselves want the arguments toned down. It wasn't just 2017, they'd been building up to that for a while. Times are changing, they're all getting older, and they'd simply prefer more reasoned discussion than getting into knock down, drag out fights with their coworkers. Jeff also said that the format felt really old. I get that a lot of fans are disappointed, but at some point people have to move on or it gets stale creatively.

Sadly, it feels like that's also going to apply to the length of time that both coasts are together. Hearing the way they talked about the trip on the Beastcast, my guess is this wasn't just a one year thing and only staying a week will be the standard going forward. Two weeks just seems like a lot, especially for Vinny. And with Dan buying a home now, who knows what his situation will be next year.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more that the GB folks themselves want the arguments toned down. It wasn't just 2017, they'd been building up to that for a while. Times are changing, they're all getting older, and they'd simply prefer more reasoned discussion than getting into knock down, drag out fights with their coworkers. Jeff also said that the format felt really old. I get that a lot of fans are disappointed, but at some point people have to move on or it gets stale creatively.

Sadly, it feels like that's also going to apply to the length of time that both coasts are together. Hearing the way they talked about the trip on the Beastcast, my guess is this wasn't just a one year thing and only staying a week will be the standard going forward. Two weeks just seems like a lot, especially for Vinny. And with Dan buying a home now, who knows what his situation will be next year.
It really seems like they're in a tough spot. I kind of wish they would experiment more with remote stuff. A holiday spectacular where the West calls the East and they do a competetive multiplayer game could be fun. A Man of Medan playthrough between the East and West would also be pretty entertaining. Get on My Level is already remote and works pretty well.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
It really seems like they're in a tough spot. I kind of wish they would experiment more with remote stuff. A holiday spectacular where the West calls the East and they do a competetive multiplayer game could be fun. A Man of Medan playthrough between the East and West would also be pretty entertaining. Get on My Level is already remote and works pretty well.

Absolutely. I'd love a week of remote multiplayer if they don't want to stay in SF for two. Playing any games, really. I think the issue with stuff like Get on My Level is that sending streams back and forth and running multiple backups creates a lot of production work, but it can't be that much more than making vids in person where you have to mic up and light 8-9 people.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen this degree of revolting among the Giant Bomb audience since the decision to split the Bombcast in two parts. Hopefully they will take the criticism to heart and be open to discussion about the format.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen this degree of revolting among the Giant Bomb audience since the decision to split the Bombcast in two parts. Hopefully they will take the criticism to heart and be open to discussion about the format.
This is an incredibly tame degree of revolting compared to the sexist shit being thrown at Abby a couple years ago. 2017 was a truly embarrassing year to be in the GB community, this is just whining for the sake of whining. GB isn't known for having the most mature community on the internet, especially the subset here on Era. There's a reason the GB staff don't come here anymore

ket

Jul 27, 2018
pro-fallout 4 arguments during most disappointing in 2015 are pretty funny in retrospect

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Day 2 Highlights

qWkej2y.gif

V0U8XxS.gif

DS6cMfJ.gif

wLAq4gW.gif

CCoMl2e.gif

SVJBlXV.gif

Oct 25, 2017
There is zero chance Jeff goes back to the old format. I'll bet he's told people just to take time off and not read comments.

And two weeks in SF is too much time away between Thanksgiving and Christmas for the East Coast people.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really that prominent outside of this thread tbh. Maybe GB will make some more changes but more likely people will get over it.

The GB staff don't like the old format, they're more likely to stop doing these podcasts at all than go back to it. If "fans" really think they can moan until the GB staffers agree to argue with each other for two weeks a year again then they're crazy.

They should honestly just rename the first three days to "Year In Review" or something, keep the last two as "GOTY Deliberations" then tell anyone who wants more of the Deliberations part to bolt.

Not to re-litigate again but yeah this feels like the best compromise. Keep the joke categories and fun ones: 2019's 2018 Game of the Year, PLEASE STOP, Styyyyle, etc
I would like to see more joke categories again but I think they need to be...good? And new. As we saw from things like Best Styyyle in recent years when the joke gets worn it just becomes a kinda dull category.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping your audience settles and telling them to bolt if they don't like the direction of the site isn't exactly a great strategy.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I'm also seeing dissatisfaction with the format on Reddit and Twitter. They aren't going to change anything because the staff doesn't really listen to criticism, but I wish they'd just do something to either make the recap less dull, or point the conversation somewhere other than the next game on the list

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They could maybe have one award each day during the year recaps to mix it up. Just some of the lighter joke categories so they don't get too bogged down in it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping your audience settles and telling them to bolt if they don't like the direction of the site isn't exactly a great strategy.
Killing your employee's enjoyment of their job and driving them away from the site just to satisfy a small, vocal section of "fans" who are probably going to stick around regardless is worse.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
They could maybe have one award each day during the year recaps to mix it up. Just some of the lighter joke categories so they don't get too bogged down in it.

I think that would be a good idea, but it gets a little awkward given that part of the point of the recap is to nominate things and so all the categories would still be recorded after the recap even if they did post some earlier. Well, at least it was part of the point last year. I feel like they've not been talking about that aspect much this time, while last year there was a lot more explcitly naming the categories they felt each game would be good for?

I guess "continuity" doesn't matter that much either way, hmm.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I'm also seeing dissatisfaction with the format on Reddit and Twitter. They aren't going to change anything because the staff doesn't really listen to criticism, but I wish they'd just do something to either make the recap less dull, or point the conversation somewhere other than the next game on the list

Giant Bomb's own forums too seem generally disappointed. It feels like a TV series doing a clip show of the least interesting parts.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I must admit I love this format. It gives a nice overview of the year in games and the individual staff members views, which in turn adds more weight to their discussions during the award part.