• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm at work I'm moving slowly on the show, but just got to Dota underlords and it's painful how much ben and Jan love this game despite it being super inferior to TFT. Dota keeps getting away with it.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
No group video today.

Guessing we might get 1 or 2 more but at least we got Feud.

And we got that great two minutes of Abby bitching about no sideburns for women in Sims 4. Whoo boy, my knee still hurts cause I slapped it so hard. Move over, CollectSHUN!

Jan's video was solid because of how he was nailing those camera cuts.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Brad and Jeff sick through that week? And Jason has been having all sorts of health issues as well. The time frame was also shorter than usual because of how late Thanksgiving was?

I actually liked most of the individual videos. Brad talking about Tetris 99 skins was content I didn't know I needed.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I also like the individual videos, but they do feel like they are filler made because of circumstances they couldn't make as much whole group content. So instead they made these list videos that could be created wherever, whenever and are relatively quick to make.

It's a shame because I love cross coast content, and it seems like this year we will get an all-time low of it :(

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
More cards, a lot more variety, to mix and match depending on number of people and how aggressive you want the game

I also discovered there's an european edition of Sushi go with way more disturbing art, haha
pic2281301.jpg

I've also ventured into the hot board game trend of roll-and-writes. railroad ink is so good!

I'll probably pick it up at some point, that european art is disturbing for sure.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I know your pain. They mostly just shat all over Days Gone having clearly barely played it. Mischaracterizing and making wild assertions on the design and narrative. I'm near the end right now and would put it in my top five of the year as it has become one of my biggest surprises.

Though I'm not sure its worse for you as some have at least fully played Death Stranding and still disliked it, fully prepared to give it a ribbing. But at least they put the effort in and can speak to their experience proper.

Framing this as a celebration of games and then spending so much time dumping on games and laughing at them at their expense and in some cases straight up making crap up about games is a bit of a joke.

"surface level discussion" holy shit listen to the actual show. They talked about Kingdom Hearts for 20 fucking minutes. The first nearly 40 minutes of today's episode is about the outer wilds. This is WAY MORE than we ever hear about these games, with the entire group.

I did listen to it. A decent part of that conversation was joking about what DBZ character the Kingdom hearts characters were. That's worse than surface level discussion. There was way more discussion on the podcasts it was on than in this surface level chat.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm on chapter 5 of DS now and I like it a lot. I did bump it down to easy a while ago so I haven't had much frustration, apart from when I carried a package into a location it wasn't allowed and caused some trouble that require reloading an old save. It was only 5-10 minutes old, but then I managed to destroy my truck on the way back multiple times even though I had never done that once before.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Framing this as a celebration of games and then spending so much time dumping on games and laughing at them at their expense is a bit of a joke.

Giant Bomb has done this all the time ever since the website began. A part of the site's appeal for me at least originally was because of how much they made fun of games they didn't like (even when those games were some of my favorites).

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Giant Bomb has done this all the time ever since the website began. A part of the site's appeal for me at least originally was because of how much they made fun of games they didn't like (even when those games were some of my favorites).

Yeah sure, but they are framing going to this format as removing negativity and celebrating games when they aren't really doing either.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure, but they are framing going to this format as removing negativity and celebrating games when they aren't really doing either.
It's not about removing criticism, it's about removing ACTUAL negativity. If you didn't see the increasing vitriol the discussions were having over the previous 4-5 years, you weren't listening.

Criticism and negativity are not hand in hand.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I had to to stop listening to the GotY Bombcast a few years ago because it just became too difficult to listen to. So much arguing over and tearing down of games I'd loved over the course of a year. After years of listening I realised I wasn't enjoying myself and usually just feeling bad.

The discourse around the podcasts was also always really painful to read, every year there was someone everyone in the GB thread was dogpiling on and would continue to dogpile on for months.

Listening to the first part, this year's format seems much more pleasant to listen to - though I'm less into when they're talking about a game they all either didn't play much or don't actually like. But that's much less of an issue for me than what these podcasts used to be.

My biggest complaint right now is honestly just a technical complaint about the audio levels. A couple of voices are ear-piercingly loud compared to others. So yeah, so far this is a HUGE change for the better.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only thing that hurts to be honest. No mention of it at all but also I guess I understand. RE2make and KH3 stole all its discussion/memorability thunder since they released close to each other.
I would have liked them to discuss how both it and Ridge Racer are in the same universe, and how Reiko Nagase's sister came back from space at he end of AC7!

May 5, 2018
I would have liked them to discuss how both it and Ridge Racer are in the same universe, and how Reiko Nagase's sister came back from space at he end of AC7!
I think only Dan played it for the quick look and while he liked it then he fell off I think.

Jeff is definitely one who is aware of the lore of Strangereal, but I don't think he played Ace Combat 7 this year. That last bit of lore though would make Jeff flip out since he's a big Ridge Racer guy.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
It's not about removing criticism, it's about removing ACTUAL negativity. If you didn't see the increasing vitriol the discussions were having over the previous 4-5 years, you weren't listening.

Criticism and negativity are not hand in hand.

It's not criticism when you are ignorant and make stuff up about a game like they did with days gone. That's negativity.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It has some really neat concepts, but I hated exploring on a time limit, especially because the time needed to get back into it after a loop just took a bit too long for something that I'd be repeatedly doing.
I actually didn't mind that since most of the progression in the game is dependent on what you know. So a place that originally took me a long time to find/explore took me a minute or two to get back to because now I was armed with the knowledge of a secret entrance, for example.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real reason that the old format got so negative is the amount of people that are in the casts. When there are 10 people arguing about a category, you would have to get louder and more extreme in your view to feel heard. Listening back to the Ryan Davis years were fun arguments because of how few people there were. People listened because there was space for everyone to talk.

Would the GotY Deliberations benefit from separating East and West into their own discussions and lists? They're already so separate in their content and this would give Jeff B. a chance to take part as well.

Just thinking out loud.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm with whoever said it earlier in the thread, ditch the podcasts all together and make a load of video content. The debates just lead to constant whining on places like here, and to be honest GOTY stuff doesn't really appeal to me, I like what I like, I don't need validation or whatever. I still listen to them every year and like reading their lists, but the thing I get most excited about are the videos, like in the old days (which I understand they couldn't do now) and I like the videos they produce now (Hitsmas where are you?).

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Really not a fan of this format they are using now. Having 5 days of "awards" is a lot more fun to listen to then 3 days of similar discussions they already had on pretty much all of these games on past podcasts. I used to look forward to GOTY week every year and now it's just boring.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not criticism when you are ignorant and make stuff up about a game like they did with days gone. That's negativity.
You act like they didn't play the game to form these opinions - they did. Sorry you liked the game and they didn't, maybe don't attach so much of your world view to products in the future.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
And we got that great two minutes of Abby bitching about no sideburns for women in Sims 4. Whoo boy, my knee still hurts cause I slapped it so hard. Move over, CollectSHUN!

Jan's video was solid because of how he was nailing those camera cuts.

Yup, let's blame Abby for the systematic murder of GB's GotY video content despite the fact it was always the strongest element of it.

Though in all fairness I'll take Abby complaining about sideburns in sims over dorks talking about how they cried over Kingdom Hearts.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
let me play 2 hours of this 40 hour game that is entirely structured around progression lessening your reliance on light survival mechanics and then be negative about the entirety of it in the context of a discussion about rewarding a game for an award that I know it will never get.

Only good can come from that, not more negativity in the world for zero value.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
let me play 2 hours of this 40 hour game that is entirely structured around progression lessening your reliance on light survival mechanics and then be negative about the entirety of it in the context of a discussion about rewarding a game for an award that I know it will never get.

this isn't objective opinions on video games dot com

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017

What's this in reference to?

Oct 25, 2017

Well then they should've made a better beginning

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle

Jeez calm down. Go outside or something. This year goty output is not their best and they probably knew that it wasn't going to be due to some concessions. I do not mind the podcast format. I do wish for more video content but the gbeasters weren't on the west coast for all that long. There is only so much they can do.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
i always forget how game of the year turns people in to toxic babies but i especially forget how giant bombs game of the year turns people into turbo toxic babies

I dont usually go into GB threads but I did for whatever reason this year and HOLY SHIT people are losing their minds. Everyone's acting like they own a piece of GB and know how everything should be run...ridiculous.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't listened to the podcasts yet but looking at the run times are they still doing the "this game isn't goty material but I wanted it to have its spot" bullshit that Patrick and Austin started?

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I dont usually go into GB threads but I did for whatever reason this year and HOLY SHIT people are losing their minds. Everyone's acting like they own a piece of GB and know how everything should be run...ridiculous.
its ruining the thread. I want to talk about their podcasts and videos and not the other half of it

Oct 25, 2017
Only though day one but I'll probably toss these to the bottom of my podcast pile. It just doesn't do it for me anymore, and I can't quite figure out why? I think it's just too much. Too many games that most of them didn't play. Too many games period. Too many people. Too long. It's just a slog and seems like a huge waste of their money and time to fly four people out for a week to SF.

Guest lists are a great read as always though

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Done with Day 2. Highlight discussions are Bloodstained, Outer Wilds, Judgement, Super Mario Maker 2 & Control. I did enjoy Vinny getting his mind sort of blown at the story of DQB2 as Brad was explaining it lol.