• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the new format, but if the crew really was over the old format, doing that again would probably also end up bad. The golden years of GOTY will most likely never come back, the format simply ran it's course.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this is vitriol you must feel attacked every time you receive any feedback regardless of what it is lol. People here are being respectful about why they are disappointed, there are no personal attacks. This isn't "vitriolic" at all.
Saying that Jeff is telling the fan base to fuck off by laying out the reasons why they changed the format is vitriolic. That's not reasonable criticism, it's a whiny tantrum.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If they're going to stick to the new format I'd rather they just skipped out on the recap days and used that time for more things like Giant Bomb Feud instead.

Arguing over dumb awards and making extremely dumb one-off videos is what GotY is all about. If I wanted to hear 5 minutes of surface level "discussion" about a bunch of games... they kinda do that twice a week for 50 weeks of the year already!

Last edited:

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely is not - seriously, this 'the customer is always right bullshit' can always fuck off - and, just to add to the chorus: I've been following Giant Bomb since before it was Giant Bomb—I think one of the very first videos I ever watched online, back when I was nine or ten and got my first computer, was an On The Spot. In no way, shape or form did I feel like I was being told, 'fuck you' by that post, and if you did, that's completely on you—not Jeff, and not the site.
So which one are you - right, or a customer?
Or it's just the other customers who can't be right?

Oct 25, 2017
The discussion here really highlights why companies basically only use vague marketing bullshit terms like "Nothing is off the table yet" or "we are always considering implementing changes" or something like that because the moment people hear an honest answer that they don't like they feel personally attacked.

If Jeff had just lied and said something like "It's not planned as off yet but we'll see" even if they are 100% not going back this wouldn't have happened. Like, calling that an "FU" to the community is basically people begging to be lied to.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, kinda disappointed they continued the format from last year. I saw it was 4 hours and thought I'd have something to listen to for half of my graveyard shift, I think I skimmed around to discussions on five games and called it quits.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
The old format was so combative and tense and made for stressful listening. I'll agree to a point that there's not much depth in the first day of deliberation but I am in no way eager to return to the aggression of the old format.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, the old format wasn't going to last when you have both senior staff at the table as well as rookies. The power dynamic just makes it a bit uncomfortable to listen to.

I also feel like Jeff is maybe referencing the Dream Daddy discussion, which was hard to listen to. I think they even mentioned on those podcasts that they wish the format was more about celebrating games rather than knocking them down. Maybe that was the point where they decided that something had to change. The whole internet conversation around that was also toxic as fuck. I doubt that helped.

Also, people might not realize it, but GOTY was always about recapping their feelings on games they played throughout the year. How many times have people "said their piece" on games they had already talked to death about on the Bombcast?

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed that they're using last year's lousy format again. Running through a list of the year's releases is tedious, and leaves them little of interest to actually discuss once the actual award discussion starts. They're just going to be repeating many of the same talking points they've already made again. Bleh.

Really wish they'd ditch this and go back to the way it used to be.

Edit: Oh, I see I'm not alone.

The old format was so combative and tense and made for stressful listening. I'll agree to a point that there's not much depth in the first day of deliberation but I am in no way eager to return to the aggression of the old format.

I mean... that's what made it interesting listening. I'm not particularly keen to sit through a bunch of hours of kumbaya for surface level discussions of all the year's releases. Start tearing these games apart already.

Last edited:

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Saying that Jeff is telling the fan base to fuck off by laying out the reasons why they changed the format is vitriolic. That's not reasonable criticism, it's a whiny tantrum.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying it's an FU, you seem to be misinterpreting my post. Show me where I said he told the fan base to fuck off.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, the old format wasn't going to last when you have both senior staff at the table as well as rookies. The power dynamic just makes it a bit uncomfortable to listen to.

I also feel like Jeff is maybe referencing the Dream Daddy discussion, which was hard to listen to. I think they even mentioned on those podcasts that they wish the format was more about celebrating games rather than knocking them down. Maybe that was the point where they decided that something had to change. The whole internet conversation around that was also toxic as fuck. I doubt that helped.

Also, people might not realize it, but GOTY was always about recapping their feelings on games they played throughout the year. How many times have people "said their piece" on games they had already talked to death about on the Bombcast?
Yeah, I agree the old format was really starting to show its limits. Often, it was pointless discussions just waiting for Jeff to actually decide, which made the arguments of the other staffers, especially the more recent ones, weightless. I doesn't mean the new format is good though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, the Days Gone discussion highlighted just how little anyone seemed to play the game.

I'm near the end of it and that little conversation felt like a group of people trying their best to squeeze anything of substance out of an experience they are naive to. Most obvious given Abby's jab at the wedding quote while none had played a bit further to realize the dumb line was a self-referential callback to their engagement and not the literal bs they assumed and attacked the characterization over.

Aw well, it's a long game and I can't fault them if it didn't jive out the gate, but they really missed out.

Last edited:

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, could they bring back categories and just remove winners from them? Also maybe have an honorable mentions pod as the last day for anything they feel didn't get talked enough about? That would remove the heat but keep the depth they used to go into.

Or maybe choose a top 3 or 4 for each category insteed of a winner and runner up

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of being more positive and less combative on paper, but the slow march through the games of the year in chronological order feels like we've thrown the baby out with the bath water.

honestly, most of the problems would have been solved by sorting the games into categories of "top three, unsorted". Honestly, they could probably get away with that for the top ten as well.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It was time to change the format up, but this current version continues to be an incredibly boring listen. Hopefully they go back to the drawing board.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
While I don't mind this new format of just discussing games rather than going straight into arguing about making lists I would far prefer them talking about half the amount of games and instead have something worthwhile to say about them...

Bringing up games like Dauntless, Days Gone, Dead or Alive, Devil May Cry 5 or Metro Exodus when none of them have any real feeling about them, and the conversation amounts to "I guess this came out and it's kinda average" feels like a waste of time.

I'd much rather have them talk for extended time about the games they have passion and opinions for, be it good (Apex, Tetris, Void Bastards, Steamworld), bad (Jump Force, Anthem, Crackdown, Left Alive) or when there are mixed opinions which is when the best discussions happen (Kingdom Hearts, Sekiro, Hypnospace).

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I just do not understand how someone can listen to how the GOTY 2017 deliberations went down and think to themselves "I want more of that." It was beyond uncomfortable with how some of the arguments went, and it absolutely poisoned the Best Game debate because you can tell they were at wits end with all of the yelling. It is the absolute antithesis of what makes Giant Bomb popular; goofy content by a gaggle of personalities.

I mean... That year they were both taking their awards too seriously, and acting pretty amateurish/immature in the way they were discussing/debating/critiquing. It had fuck all to do with the previous format of GOTY discussions. They could have had some private staff discussions about expectations for how these things go and how winners get decided to cut down on the bickering between personalities on air.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't mind this new format of just discussing games rather than going straight into arguing about making lists I would far prefer them talking about half the amount of games and instead have something worthwhile to say about them...

Bringing up games like Dauntless, Days Gone, Dead or Alive, Devil May Cry 5 or Metro Exodus where the conversation it amounts to none of us has any real feeling about these games, I guess they came out this year and are kinda average feels like a waste of time.

I'd much rather have them talk for extended time about the games they have passion and opinions for, be it good (Apex, Tetris, Void Bastards, Steamworld), bad (Jump Force, Anthem, Crackdown, Left Alive) or when there are mixed opinions which is when the best discussions happen (Kingdom Hearts, Sekiro, Hypnospace).

Agreed. Give a chance for their personal favorites to flourish.

I'm finding the slow march through games, some of which they have nothing of value to discuss or even worse, making blanket presumptions on experiences they are naive to, is feeling disingenuous. Highlighting games released this year is noble, but when it's so surface level and so many are reaching to say anything of substance on so many of them, it comes across frustrating and poorly considered in too many spots.

It does mean several games will get left behind, but probably best to not force discussion and irritate listeners and focus more on the experiences they can actually speak to.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
"Giant Bomb not doing exactly what I want with their GotY podcasts, hours of content offered completely free to me on the internet, is literally the worst thing ever. It's like they have a personal vendetta against me and my sensibilities. Is it so bad that I want to hear people argue about the same 10 games for 30 hours? God GB are the worst!"
I think the new podcast format is fine but man do I really miss the old couch set.
Yeah, I still miss the couch. The desk is fine and it's grown on me, but the couch setup of the past seemed to just fit so much better with their content.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Dang, the Days Gone discussion highlighted just how little anyone seemed to play the game. I'm near the end of it and that little conversation felt like a group of people trying their best to squeeze anything of substance out of an experience they are naive to. Most obvious given Abby's jab at the wedding quote while none had played a bit further to realize the dumb line was a self-referential callback to their engagement and not the literal bs they assumed and attacked the characterization over. Aw well, it's a long game and I can't fault them if it didn't jive out the gate, but they really missed out.

Yep, this was very disappointing to see.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Mike Mahardy was trying to explain that he was really enjoying Borderlands 3 and Abby was taking every opportunity to take a potshot at the game, leading Mike to try to awkwardly steer the conversation back to the point he was trying to make? Good times.

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
My only complaint with this format is feeling it could be done in two days if they just left some games not really of note out.

This is my opinion. If they all went through the categories and each of them nominated their three favorites for each category and their top ten list without talking to each other, then only talk about that list of games rather than hundreds, we would talk about the games they actually think should be considered for the categories and it would take so much less time.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Mike Mahardy was trying to explain that he was really enjoying Borderlands 3 and Abby was taking every opportunity to take a potshot at the game, leading Mike to try to awkwardly steer the conversation back to the point he was trying to make? Good times.

Remember when we were talking about Giant Bomb GOTY and Frunkle was taking every opportunity to take a potshout at Abby for reasons unrelated to the Giant Bomb GOTY? Good times.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't, actually!? And I've listened to every Beastcast this year.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, could they bring back categories and just remove winners from them? Also maybe have an honorable mentions pod as the last day for anything they feel didn't get talked enough about? That would remove the heat but keep the depth they used to go into.

Or maybe choose a top 3 or 4 for each category insteed of a winner and runner up

With the old format they managed to do honourable mentions, bring up games that were high profile a quick mention and drop to the cutting room floor all while doing the categories and be entertaining and meaningful.

The only problem with the old format was on the last with one with new people frantically interjecting. I think they get the vibe now and wouldn't descend into that again.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I must have been listening to a different GOTY 2017 podcast to some of you lot, because Ben and Abby weren't even close to the biggest problems that year.
Did I say something untrue?
You said something profoundly irrelevant in the interest of taking potshots at the only woman on staff, as people have in these threads since she was hired.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

This is where I'm at as well.

Tearing something down to pump another thing up is just tired at this point.

Much prefer the current Best Of recap format. A time for a reflective look back without having to game the system like that Survivor tv show.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
yestedays podcast was great and giant bomb is great. there were no mistakes. this eyar goty if off to their best start

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm bored with this format as well. As someone who listens to both podcasts, this is all but a repeat of their opinions.
So I'm not sure who this is for?
Maybe they know their numbers and the "sometimes checking in crowd" is their main base, so for those
folks, this must be neat.

Nov 2, 2017
Yikes, alright I liked what came out of putting the Giantbomb crew through the gauntlet as much as the next person, but the bottom line is that they got to want to do it. They can't recreate what was if their heart isn't in it, no matter how many posts you make.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I enjoy these recaps because we never hear east and west talk about games or play games together. I miss that !

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Everyday we come closer to Giant Bomb just being an always running stream where any of the crew sit down at any point and talk about whatever they feel like.