• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Giant bomb feud is some poverty shit, smh.

I am also on the side of preferring the old format. Talking about games around specific categories is much more interesting to listen to then talking about a games in a more general sense. The current format just seems like a highlights of stuff they have already talked about on the podcast throughout the year.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree and ironically I think Ben and Abby kind of both perfectly fit where they were hired - while Abby doesn't have the critical background of the senior staff, she's incredibly entertaining in video features, and where Ben is not generally considered a perfect comedic showman in the community, he's gotten surprisingly great at explaining why he likes certain things and what makes them so compelling in a critical context. In a way, they are both reflective of their coasts.
I think the opposite is also true - Ben has gotten more entertaining over time and Abby has gotten much better at expressing why she feels the way she does about games too. It's almost like when these things are your job, you will grow into them!

It never ceases to amaze me how resistant the community can be to new hires, despite being proven over and over again that they end up being fine because Jeff knows what he's doing (and Vinny). If you just deleted either of those two from the roster tomorrow, it would be at a loss for sure. I'd even call the two of them (and Jan) workhorses at this point, they put out a lot for the site.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think the opposite is also true - Ben has gotten more entertaining over time and Abby has gotten much better at expressing why she feels the way she does about games too. It's almost like when these things are your job, you will grow into them!

It never ceases to amaze me how resistant the community can be to new hires, despite being proven over and over again that they end up being fine because Jeff knows what he's doing (and Vinny). If you just deleted either of those two from the roster tomorrow, it would be at a loss for sure. I'd even call the two of them (and Jan) workhorses at this point, they put out a lot for the site.
I agree completely. I also feel like we're on borrowed time with Abby, she doesn't seem like the type to stay with GB for many years. I'm so grateful for every piece of content she's in, but I can't shake the underlying feeling she doesn't super love the job.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Jan's framing prowess knows no bounds

Bfv5JFu.gif

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I love these guys, but they need to be criticized when warranted. That Feud video was really bad production and should've never seen the light of day.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
also, i'm reading dan's list and i think he got better at writing over the course of last year a bit, which is nice to see

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Yeah even for Giant Bomb don't give a fuck vibes, it was pretty rough. Love the idea though, I still enjoyed it.

The whole tone for goty this year seems to be don't give a fuck, and the message Jeff put out was basically a big FU to the community that has followed giant bomb for years. They've lost track of what made them special and it shows.

I'm going to give the rest of the week a fair shake, but day one was bottom tier giant bomb, easily the worst goty podcast I've ever listened to.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
The whole tone for goty this year seems to be don't give a fuck, and the message Jeff put out was basically a big FU to the community that has followed giant bomb for years. They've lost track of what made them special and it shows.

I'm going to give the rest of the week a fair shake, but day one was bottom tier giant bomb, easily the worst goty podcast I've ever listened to.

I'm part of the community and fuck off yourself in including me in your take

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
the arguments were fun

but let's be real it all came down to Brad and Jeff

this way it's more including for everyone

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed Giant Bomb Feud and barely noticed the production issues after the first 5 minutes. Did anyone here answer the feud survey from giant bomb infinite?

Loved their surprise when the millenials stole Round 1 with Yoshi as a horse. Also loved Jan just winging it in round 2 and having luchadeer as a specific host and making it up to the millennial team with video games

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Any of y'all playing a game while watching/listening this year?

I often listen to half of it while shoveling snow but it's all melted the last couple days so now I'm playing more CSD2.

Speaking of, shoutout to chubigans for getting a list on the site! I always appreciate more board game recommendations; I'm not deep enough into that world myself.
aw thanks so much! Seeing people say they were going to check out some of the board games makes me so happy. Hope you're enjoying CSD2! :D

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to constructively and calmly tell them we prefer the old format?
Yes? There are tons of ways to submit feedback anywhere.

It's kind of embarassing how vitriolic some people here are getting over this shit. I wouldn't want to do the old format anymore either if I were them.

I just cannot fathom why people don't want to hear about more games for longer, and would rather have a 20 minute segment on "Best game that was purple" so they can talk about the one game that they liked that was hella purple instead. Like, the posts in this thread would have you believe that today's three and a half hour podcast was them reading the damn wiki entry for each game, and not discussing the positives and negatives and experiences. If you only care about the 'result' and not the discussion part, then the podcasts/shows were never for you, they'll publish a list at the end either way. This format results in us getting 15 minute deep dives into kingdom hearts from Jan, which we would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS get under the old formula - nobody would mention the game a single time. Instead we'd be talking about the same 20 games for every category.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I've been following GB since 2013 and you do not speak for me.

I'm not speaking for you, I'm saying Jeff telling everyone that something they love is done is an FU to the community, I'm not making any statements about how the community feel or what they say.

And if you really want to compare credentials I started listening to the Hotspot on the fourth episode and followed Jeff and Ryan through arrow pointing down and giant bomb. In fifteen years I have never get this detached from these guys.

Last edited:

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I've gone from watching Giant Bomb and not playing games to playing games and not watching Giant Bomb.

I'm not sure what has changed.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I just do not understand how someone can listen to how the GOTY 2017 deliberations went down and think to themselves "I want more of that." It was beyond uncomfortable with how some of the arguments went, and it absolutely poisoned the Best Game debate because you can tell they were at wits end with all of the yelling. It is the absolute antithesis of what makes Giant Bomb popular; goofy content by a gaggle of personalities.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I just do not understand how someone can listen to how the GOTY 2017 deliberations went down and think to themselves "I want more of that." It was beyond uncomfortable with how some of the arguments went, and it absolutely poisoned the Best Game debate because you can tell they were at wits end with all of the yelling. It is the absolute antithesis of what makes Giant Bomb popular; goofy content by a gaggle of personalities.

I don't think anyone is arguing for 2017. It doesn't need to be that.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not speaking for you, I'm saying Jeff telling everyone that something they love is done is an FU to the community, I'm not making any statements about how the community feel or what they say.
It absolutely is not - seriously, this 'the customer is always right bullshit' can always fuck off - and, just to add to the chorus: I've been following Giant Bomb since before it was Giant Bomb—I think one of the very first videos I ever watched online, back when I was nine or ten and got my first computer, was an On The Spot. In no way, shape or form did I feel like I was being told, 'fuck you' by that post, and if you did, that's completely on you—not Jeff, and not the site.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019

The problem with 2017 was two relatively new staffers taking things too seriously and getting disrespectful to each other. Go listen to 2011 and 2012 where they had the same format but everyone was respectful.

They over reacted to that and in the process lost a lot of what was special and unique about giant bombs goty.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is not - seriously, this 'the customer is always right bullshit' can always fuck off - and, just to add to the chorus: I've been following 'GB' since I was nine or ten years old, when I got my first computer—I think one of the very first videos I ever watched online was an On The Spot. In no way, shape or form did I feel like I was being told, 'fuck you' by that post, and if you did, that's completely on you—not Jeff, and not the site.

You know you can disagree with someone without telling them to fuck off.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with 2017 was two relatively new staffers taking things too seriously and getting disrespectful to each other. Go listen to 2011 and 2012 where they had the same format but everyone was respectful.

They over reacted to that and in the process lost a lot of what was special and unique about giant bombs goty.
nYXJT3s.gif

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
But it did, and it was slowly leading to that over the years prior. When the entire framing of a thing is "Fight to death for your thing" then the endgame is going to lead to yelling and screaming. Especially now that the room is far more crowded than years prior.

I think the problem many have is that last year's GOTY got such negative feedback and they just kept it exactly the same. Change is not a problem.

Their site, their prerogative. But its hardly surprising this is not popular.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
The new format
1. covers a lot more games
2. especially smaller more niche games
3. crew is free to bring up anything that stuck with them instead of say just music
4. with more finality (whether their opinions changed) than the weekly podcast sections

I like it

In previous years, the award categories inevitably leads to a handful of indie darlings and tentpole AAA getting discussed over and over

honestly, this. while i miss the categories ones.... they got wayyyy too heated.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think Jeff telling everyone that the show and format they've done for years that everyone loved is "done" isn't an FU?
No, I think it's honest.
I think the problem many have is that last year's GOTY got such negative feedback and they just kept it exactly the same. Change is not a problem.
I don't actually remember the feedback last year being all that negative- it was measured, sure, with hopes of improvement, but I don't remember even half the levels of vitriol we've had today.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think it's honest.

I don't actually remember the feedback last year being all that negative- it was measured, sure, with hopes of improvement, but I don't remember even half the levels of vitriol we've had today.

The majority of the comments on the format are also measured and simply express disappointment. Look at their Reddit, which bans/deletes excessive or personal criticism. There is just a lot more of this disappointment than last year because there was an expectation of something different. There is no hope for improvement this time around as they have made it clear they don't really care what the reception is.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like this clip show concept but perhaps keep it to just a day, for the real obvious games that won't be nominated but still deserve a shoutout. I do enjoy the arguing and ranking quite a lot.

But then also the 2017 discussions were toxic and miserable for both them and the people listening to them, so I don't know what they do. I would hope there would be a way to keep the old format but make it better, but maybe we all just have to accept the old Giant Bomb GOTY is never going to come back.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA

This is a really really bad post

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Nah dude, GOTY season used to be when i hated Brad for a few days because the dude year in year out would act like a petulant child to get his way at least once a year and then get mad if anyone else tried the same shtick he does.

2017 wasnt an outlier, its what the old format was increasingly building towards. If you want to pretend it was all sunshine and roses till 2017 then i dont know why youre so mad they changed format cus you clearly werent listening to them.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
But it did, and it was slowly leading to that over the years prior. When the entire framing of a thing is "Fight to death for your thing" then the endgame is going to lead to yelling and screaming. Especially now that the room is far more crowded than years prior.

This is how I feel. They did the old format to the breaking point (2017). I really appreciate the pivot last year and enjoyed day 1 of this year.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the day 1 podcast yesterday. I skipped over a couple of games but it generated some good discussion and wasn't an exact repeat of previous podcasts. It'd be nice if it didn't cover three days but then they'd end up skipping over games or cutting discussion short to fit everything in.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Nah dude, GOTY season used to be when i hated Brad for a few days because the dude year in year out would act like a petulant child to get his way at least once a year and then get mad if anyone else tried the same shtick he does.

2017 wasnt an outlier, its what the old format was increasingly building towards. If you want to pretend it was all sunshine and roses till 2017 then i dont know why youre so mad they changed format cus you clearly werent listening to them.

I'm not saying it was all sunshine and roses lol, thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Brad was never as bad as some staffers in 2017. They just needed a better way to deal with stalemates and instead of even trying something they completely wiped their format for good.

Again, go and listen to 2011 and 2012. Everyone was respectful during those, and those are easily the peak GOTYs. I listened to them a couple of weeks ago as a build up to this year and they are still fantastic conversation even with adversarial conversations.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just cannot fathom why people don't want to hear about more games for longer, and would rather have a 20 minute segment on "Best game that was purple" so they can talk about the one game that they liked that was hella purple instead. Like, the posts in this thread would have you believe that today's three and a half hour podcast was them reading the damn wiki entry for each game, and not discussing the positives and negatives and experiences. If you only care about the 'result' and not the discussion part, then the podcasts/shows were never for you, they'll publish a list at the end either way. This format results in us getting 15 minute deep dives into kingdom hearts from Jan, which we would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS get under the old formula - nobody would mention the game a single time. Instead we'd be talking about the same 20 games for every category.
Fathom it or not, there's a reason there's a GB GOTY thread and it's because the shows used to attract people who didn't usually listen to their podcast. Clearly there was something there.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
No, I think it's honest.

If this is vitriol you must feel attacked every time you receive any feedback regardless of what it is lol. People here are being respectful about why they are disappointed, there are no personal attacks. This isn't "vitriolic" at all.

This is a really really bad post

You're welcome to discuss why. Your post isn't helpful at all. At least I'm somewhat articulating the reasons I have for being disappointed.