• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brad sure loves Red dead.
They need a referee next year that can't vote or who's vote does not count.
Half an hour more talking because Brad did not get Red Dead to the spot he imagined is annoying.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Half an hour more talking because Brad did not get Red Dead to the spot he imagined is annoying.

I doubt a referee will ever get involved but Brad just needs to back off when the rest room as reached a general consensus. Every year I feel like he some how his passion for something outweighs everyone else's passion for something else. Also, the bit where he invalidated people less passionate about Red Dead came off as bad and childish.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So, yeah, the 2008 Gotycast is a fun listen. It's basically Brad and Jeff in opposite positions re: GTA4. Jeff found the story very moving, and others dislike how video gamey / clunky it can be.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not at all what Brad said, so how about we stop being disingenuous and making shit up. He said personal issues got in the way this year. These dudes have actual lives outside of their jobs.

For those wondering, this is what Brad said in his GOTY list:

He all but said on day 1 or 2 that this was the reason so slow your roll, Stan.

I mean he finished the game

He didn't finish the epilogue, so no.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up skipping the first three days. I tried to listen to them, but they were ridiculously boring. I mean, super boring... aint nobody got time for that.

Dan was right. Hearing his excitement for it in the Beastcast and then after he played it most definitely makes a case for it being on that list. Good on him for standing up to Brad, who was doing the same 'ole Brad-thing.

As these shows get longer and longer, I keep thinking maybe its time to cut out the silly categories, especially ones that keep needing a re-explanation of its definition every year because no one knows what they mean (and then that definition gets thrown out the window a few minutes into discussion.)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the categories were pretty self explanatory this year, there was nothing even close to the best world debacle of 2017.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
I vote Jan. Then every year we make January a Jan appreciation month and everyone helps him on Pokémon raids.

Or make a Brad day so we can all dodge it. But I like the idea of Jan in a ref costume telling people to back down.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to me that Dan was so put off by the intricacies of RDR2 when his mind is blown by the neat things you can do in MGS (especially 2).

I get where he's coming from, but it's still weird to me.

Very different philosophies and treatment though.

MGS rewards experimentation and risks, usually with surprising and often unbelievable results for those that stray from the direct approach.
RDR2 is one of the most rigid games in history. It demands you follow the script with surgical precision or face punishment. The level of detail is unreal, but also feeds into its demand for following the terms laid down by its creative team.

Not really shocked RDR2 didn't sit well with the most impatient members of the team.

Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree with Brad about how damn amazing Red Dead is but he did dig in pretty hard without much backup.

I think Dan was right to want RDR2 on the Most Disappointing list though. The argument that I would make has to do with prerelease coverage. There was an awful beta for Fallout so that pretty much killed everyone's hype. Red Dead was kept pretty damn secret until release so the hype only grew and grew. And no one knew anything about the online mode so when they stealth dropped that and it was kinda meh, that lead to a lot more disappointment.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't finish the epilogue, so no.
Why bother being pedantic? He missed nothing that would have significantly changed his opinion on the game. There are no game changing moments in the epilogue. I can see how someone who was enjoying themselves up until that point would be enjoying themselves still, but if you have any misgivings about the game, nothing in the epilogue will resolve them. And he tried to get through the Epilogue. I think he said he made it through Epilogue 1.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol he pushed through the 60 hour campaign out of sheer hope the game would get better for him. He definitely wasnt going to suddenly flip his whole opinion based on the epilogue

The campaign isn't 60 hours long even with the epilogue and what I quoted said he finished it, he didn't.

Kinda off topic but this group has zero concept of time spent on the games they play. Brad's whole "20 minutes spent on a turn in Into the Breach" claim just made me roll my eyes.

Why bother being pedantic? He missed nothing that would have significantly changed his opinion on the game. There are no game changing moments in the epilogue. I can see how someone who was enjoying themselves up until that point would be enjoying themselves still, but if you have any misgivings about the game, nothing in the epilogue will resolve them. And he tried to get through the Epilogue. I think he said he made it through Epilogue 1.

One of the best moments of the entire game is at the end of the epilogue. It isn't pedantry to quote someone who said "this thing happened" and say "no it didn't".

I dont think Brad even finished that game. A week before deliberations started he said he was on chapter 2 or so.

Brad talks about things in the end of the epilogue during deliberations.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best moments of the entire game is at the end of the epilogue. It isn't pedantry to quote someone who said "this thing happened" and say "no it didn't".
Whatever thing you're thinking of, nothing in particular comes to mind when you reference it obliquely like this. You can spoiler it if you like? I don't know if you're referring to
the house building section
or what but nothing there particularly changed my opinion about the game. It stayed what it was. I loved the game but I also totally understood Dan's take and I'm not going to give him short shrift because he didn't play until the last set of credits rolled. His understanding of the game is more than sufficient to form an opinion.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever thing you're thinking of, nothing in particular comes to mind when you reference it obliquely like this. You can spoiler it if you like? I don't know if you're referring to
the house building section
or what but nothing there particularly changed my opinion about the game. It stayed what it was. I loved the game but I also totally understood Dan's take and I'm not going to give him short shrift because he didn't play until the last set of credits rolled. His understanding of the game is more than sufficient to form an opinion.

I'm talking about
Storming the mountain to hunt down Micah with Charles and Sadie at the end and finally getting the Blackwater stash, finding out that Dutch was there to kill Micah as well.) All While possibly the single best piece of music in the entire game plays.

And I didn't say Dan's opinion is invalid on the game.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And I didn't say Dan's opinion is invalid on the game.
Sorry, when you said he didn't beat it even though he saw the main story through to its end, I thought you were implying. My bad.

Anyways, it was a cool scene but the entire thing felt a little dreamlike. Sort of toothless. Like,
Sadie and Charles are both put in mortal peril but everything turns out way way better than okay. It was just too happy ending, even with the Pinkerton's waiting in the wings, to feel appropriate to the rest of the game's tone.
Maybe that was just me though.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
The shooting and combat in Nier is catnip to Jeff's sensibilities. I don't think anyone would call it non-twitchy. It's basically a Platinium game with some RPG elements wedged in. It just happens to have a bunch of other stuff going on, too.
If you listen to Jeff talk about Nier on bombcasts/podcasts back then, he actually wasn't that big of a fan of the combat. It was one of his biggest complaints. He thought the combat felt a bit monotonous

May 17, 2018
I'm gonna need GB West to play more games this year.

How many games came out in 2018, and, Brad has three games on his top 10 list that he didn't even care to finish, and a 4th that is DLC to a game that's 2 years old.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
you know i haven't really sat back and interrogated what kind of games i like in a while, but the main niche i'm into that they really don't cover much other than jason is the hyper-reactive character action games. and even then jason was complaining about the DMCV demo having combat arenas which is, you know, kind of a staple of the genre so idk lol

Well, yeah, None of them match up perfectly with my tastes either. However, Alex/Vinny/Brad saying a game sucks is something Id weigh in on my own decision to buy a game.. whereas if Jeff says a game sucks it means nothing.

It'd all come down to the reasons they say it sucks tbh

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It probably says something when the Best Of 2018 is dominated by GBEast content.
I love everyone, but no one's going to argue that East's content is on another level compared to West. Even a segment focusing on my favorite games of all time like Tony Hawk, I wish East was doing it because it would be so much more fun to watch.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely tend to gravitate toward GBEast content, just the perfect combination of personalities

They especially do the "we're gonna sit down and beat this dammit!" stuff a lot and I like it

I need more breaking brad

But this really has nothing to do with goty

Other than maybe a breaking brad is just what we all need :P

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need GB West to play more games this year.

How many games came out in 2018, and, Brad has three games on his top 10 list that he didn't even care to finish, and a 4th that is DLC to a game that's 2 years old.
It probably says something when the Best Of 2018 is dominated by GBEast content.

I think these two things go hand and hand. The Beast crew is full of energy, constantly playing games, and have multiple shows going on at once. I don't want to call the West crew jaded, but they just don't do much besides the Bombcast, UPF, and the occasional QL. It seems like they are just going through the motions a lot of the weeks. I know a big part of that is Dan. They've never been able to replace Dan's content output and ability to get the group together to do dumb stuff. That's not a knock on Ben because I think he's improved and fits in well, but the West crew as a whole just doesn't seem to get out of their comfort zone very much at all. They road the excuse for a while of not having a 2nd video producer when Drew left, but now that they have Jan, I really don't know why they don't try to do some new stuff.

I also had an issue with Brad's lack of games played during GOTY, which was one of the reasons I found his RDR2 arguments so frustrating. It's cool to see the passion he has for a game, but he barely played much of anything else this year and that hurt his arguments. He made a lot of ignorant statements about other games he had no clue about just to get RDR2 over. Then he would call out people constantly for not knowing what they were talking about with RDR2 because they haven't beat it, which is what he was doing constantly with other games. Having the person that runs GOTY, not actual play many games is a big problem for discussions in my opinion.

I think that's why I was so happy with Abby this year during the discussions and felt she was the MVP. She played a ton of games this year and it showed. She had well thought out opinions on almost all the major games because she played them all, and also was able to bring up quite a few other games that nobody else played and she gave them time in the spotlight like they deserve.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know i haven't really sat back and interrogated what kind of games i like in a while, but the main niche i'm into that they really don't cover much other than jason is the hyper-reactive character action games. and even then jason was complaining about the DMCV demo having combat arenas which is, you know, kind of a staple of the genre so idk lol

It'd all come down to the reasons they say it sucks tbh

you should play total warhammer, jintor

it's

it's pretty good

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
maybe

i kind of want to play They Are Billions again for some reason tho

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
I don't get taking GotY so seriously, or making sweeping statements about Giant Bomb from it. Like Brad said it's a battle of wills -- and that's why I love it. I don't care who actually wins or who does what, I just enjoy watching the spectacle and politics. Who will ally with who, the betrayals, the dirty tactics, it's really fun to watch. It's like Game of Thrones about a silly topic with no real stakes after all is said and done. I legitimately love that Brad is like a completely different person in them, it adds so much spice. It seems like some turn it into more than it is and it hurts their enjoyment, but I hope Giant Bomb never turns their GotY deliberations into something more boring. I want to listen to Heel Brad for years to come.
This is exactly how I feel, wouldn't have it any other way.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
Wow I'm in that disappointing talk, they are being kind of shitty to dan and I think with time having past dan has been proven right.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
real LTTP here, but their GoTY is certainly a unique pick.

Though Vinny's Wright Brothers plane analogy for Fallout 76 was the highlight of the entire 20 hours of recording.

The RDR2 talk in the "most disappointing" section wasn't that surprising to me because honestly I ended up feeling almost the same as Dan by the time I was finished with the game. I powered through it for the story only..