• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Anyone else just think Tetris is boring? Like I played it as a kid and never need to play it again in my life. There's no way you can gussy it up to make it fun or interesting for me.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
True

You don't have to complete the game five times to get the actual ending
I'll never understand where that myth about Nier Automata came from.
The second "playthrough" is a different character and only briefly recounts the same events as the first playthrough while elaborating on them and rushing you through them faster. Everything after that is completely new and in no way a "replay" of the game. At most you "replay" Nier Automata like 0.4 times to get the "endings."

Really though saying that they are replaying the game at all is like saying Chapter 2 of RDR2 is you replaying Chapter 1.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The last 2 years of GOTY were so awful- Vinny and Brad's reaction to White Supremecy possibly being worse than NMS in 2016, and the combo of Best World and Abby in 2017- that each led to me canceling the auto renew on premium and letting it lapse for a few months. They ended up making me hate the personalities on a website that focuses on personalities! I think the new format of discussing every game up front saved GOTY. They were able to narrow down the list to 10 games in like 20 minutes, because everyone had their chance to talk about the games previously. Were the 10 categories the best 10 they could have used? No, but that's something they can iterate on. Abby improved so much over the course of a single year- I only hope that Jan can find a voice for next year

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think the best thing to do is just acknowledge that from a pure player input angle Red Dead ain't shifting any oceans, but what the game achieves narratively and immersively in creating the most authentic incredible open world from its NPC scripts to visuals to audio to animation to overall graphical fidelity. Nothing comes close to that thing. It's an absolute spectacle and shows of its incredible budget with its unrivalled production values in every corner of its world.
Agreed 100%. I can absolutely ignore the clunky controls when the world, wildlife, story and characters are all absolutely mindblowingly well crafted. The immersion is unsurpassed, never before has a game world felt this alive, no matter where you go there is always something going on, Rockstar simply raised the bar for the whole industry in many areas.
But if someone think that tight controls is the most important aspect of a game... Well. Look elsewhere. :P

Sep 12, 2018
Before I address your points here nib95 I have to point out that you're calling me immature and childish but you feel the need to call every subjective opinion I have here "amusing" and "hilarious". Being derisive and condescending to me trying to think through why one game works and the other fails seems rather petty to me and is honestly putting me off having this conversation. Now onto the rest...

I don't know if you realise you do this, but when someone calls you out on a poorly formulated or inaccurate point you've made, instead of actually responding to that rebuttal, you just move goalposts and change the subject.

I called you out on your claim that God of War was generic, and then explained why that assessment was flawed, and instead of acknowledging that you've now just rambled on about stuff unrelated to that particular point.
Dude literally everything I said there is in relation to me finding the game generic. The point being is that very little it does is truly remarkable and can be pointed to as being superior elsewhere.

1.) The one shot camera in God of War isn't grand standing BS, I mean that is a hilariously awful take. The camera is a design decision intended to give an added sense of intimacy and continuity to scenes. You don't have to like or prefer it, but to call it grandstanding BS honestly makes you appear immature and childish.
It grants intimacy in the early moments of the game where it's Kratos and Atreus going hunting and fighting the occasional small battle but it completely crumbles once the game moves onto larger battles and forcing the player to play through menus. Before I played the game hearing Barlog talk about what a fight it was to get this camera into the game I was thinking "gee this sounds fucking incredibly bold and I can't wait to experience this" but forcing my way through large arena-like battles and then the game foisting menus on me felt kind of insulting and like he didn't think it through at all.

2.) Once you acclimatise to the fact that with the over shoulder perspective, you just have to be more skillful and mindful of your surroundings, it actually makes the combat way more visceral, rewarding and fun, allowing you to see minute animations and tells, and also just feel more intimately connected to what you're doing.

I don't know where this notion appeared that you have to be granted a super human field of view and visibility in all action games to constantly be able to see all your surroundings. As if you could even do that in real life. Hell it's an unrealistic advantage just being third person instead of first person in the first place, not to mention the camera constantly pulls out to help you anyway.
I'm not saying all action games need a large field of view and I pointed to two (RE4 and TLOU) where that perspective actually contributes to the game, I just find it frustrating, arbitrary and claustrophobic in the case of God of War.

https://youtu.be/IERHMMXeshc?t=370

3.) The leviathan axe is actually the best weapon I've ever experienced in an action game, and I found it constantly rewarding and satisfying. I can't actually think of another weapon from another action game that was as interesting or satisfying to use. I also preferred the combat in GOW to Soulsborne, even though I'm a huge fan of both. I enjoyed the puzzles too. They're simple but intriguing, quirky and fun, and break up the monotony of the core gameplay loop. Ultimately this stuff is all subjective.
Agree to disagree then.

4.) You quoting this tweet just makes you come off as salty and bitter. Not only have you made laughably contradictory and questionable arguments or points against GOW and in favour of RDR2, but you quoting stuff like this only highlights that you likely have a bone to pick with GOW and almost seem angry it's getting the appeal and adoration it is.
Nobody likes to spend 55 euro on a game that they mostly had a bad time with, I reference that tweet merely because it accidentally nails a lot of my problems with GoW and the general discourse around AAA games. Accusing me of being salty and bitter isn't really an argument either, I could just so glibly say the same as your response to my criticisms of GoW, especially the need to point out that I'm saying is "hilarious".

I think you're confused regarding my criticisms of God of War and defenses of Red Dead so I'll try to make it clear here: The whole of Red Dead entirely works in spite (or perhaps because) of some rickety and deliberate pieces, God of War's component parts are solid but don't really connect for me at all.

1.) I'm sorry, but the expanse of the world has little or no correlation with the controls being as cumbersome or clumsy as they are. Nothing in the game design would have been negatively impacted by having slightly more polished and competent controls and aiming, and the complete opposite is true with worse controls.

Lacklustre controls do in fact negatively impact the overall experience by causing unnecessary frustration, not because of player fault, but because of innate failures in the game design and controls themselves.
I think this is the key word here is "slightly", there are definitely little frustrations and idiosyncrasies with Red Dead's controls but I think having gone through this whole experience there's not really a thing I'd change about it. Part of my experience with this game was living in the world as Arthur Morgan and being occasionally clumsy, not perfectly nailing my shots and occasionally causing trouble in towns by accident just became part of the fabric of that game for me.

2.) I find your defence of the frustration of certain controls in RDR2 rather amusing. You're essentially arguing that there is a fun sense of realism to the controls being frustrating, but I'd argue that is largely nonsense.

There is nothing fun or remotely realistic in hitching your horse failing multiple times at no fault of your own, and instead failing simply because the game has weird controls and poor obstacle detection. Again, you are essentially hand waiving away poor controls as if that sort of thing is realistic, intended or complimentary, when instead it's frustrating and unrealistically cumbersome.

This isn't something that was only awkward at first like you imply either, it is something that was still awkward 80 hours into my play through, because ultimately it wasn't an issue that had a learning curve or sense of mastery, but instead was a flaw in the games controls themselves.
I couldn't disagree more, I think I got a proper handle on it all after a dozen or so hours. I can't think of a single moment in the last few chapters or the epilogue when I fucked up.

Also looking back on my first playthrough (I'm going through it a second time on Xbox now) I can't really think of any moment where the game punished me for something that wasn't really my own doing. I mean how many open world games can you say allow you to be clumsy and get in trouble over it? Isn't that kind of cool and amusing in itself?

3.) It's not about wanting something that works exactly as you want it, rather just wanting competent controls that respond according to player input in a realistic, fluid and polished way, instead of being frustrating at little fault of the player themselves. Rather than trying to frame poor controls as a positive thing, I think you'd be better off simply saying it didn't bother you that much, or didn't detract too heavily from the overall experience, which was the case for me.
I really don't think every game demands fluid responses to player input though, for example I'd say a game that has you taming an animal or moving through a large world in a time pre-motorized transport (especially when the character is literally dying) like Red Dead 2 does can be interesting in not always providing the player instant gratification through its controls.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see if Brad and Jeff's God of War performance issues in high-res mode were the same problem that Digital Foundry discusses in their latest video. The pre-release/review digital version of the game had broken frame pacing.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Brad's turn to make an argument as if his saving it best for last. Even making a dramatic delivery.

But didn't turn anybody

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Before I address your points here nib95 I have to point out that you're calling me immature and childish but you feel the need to call every subjective opinion I have here "amusing" and "hilarious". Being derisive and condescending to me trying to think through why one game works and the other fails seems rather petty to me and is honestly putting me off having this conversation. Now onto the rest...

Dude literally everything I said there is in relation to me finding the game generic. The point being is that very little it does is truly remarkable and can be pointed to as being superior elsewhere.

It grants intimacy in the early moments of the game where it's Kratos and Atreus going hunting and fighting the occasional small battle but it completely crumbles once the game moves onto larger battles and forcing the player to play through menus. Before I played the game hearing Barlog talk about what a fight it was to get this camera into the game I was thinking "gee this sounds fucking incredibly bold and I can't wait to experience this" but forcing my way through large arena-like battles and then the game foisting menus on me felt kind of insulting and like he didn't think it through at all.

I'm not saying all action games need a large field of view and I pointed to two (RE4 and TLOU) where that perspective actually contributes to the game, I just find it frustrating, arbitrary and claustrophobic in the case of God of War.

Agree to disagree then.

Nobody likes to spend 55 euro on a game that they mostly had a bad time with, I reference that tweet merely because it accidentally nails a lot of my problems with GoW and the general discourse around AAA games. Accusing me of being salty and bitter isn't really an argument either, I could just so glibly say the same as your response to my criticisms of GoW, especially the need to point out that I'm saying is "hilarious".

I think you're confused regarding my criticisms of God of War and defenses of Red Dead so I'll try to make it clear here: The whole of Red Dead entirely works in spite (or perhaps because) of some rickety and deliberate pieces, God of War's component parts are solid but don't really connect for me at all.

I think this is the key word here is "slightly", there are definitely little frustrations and idiosyncrasies with Red Dead's controls but I think having gone through this whole experience there's not really a thing I'd change about it. Part of my experience with this game was living in the world as Arthur Morgan and being occasionally clumsy, not perfectly nailing my shots and occasionally causing trouble in towns by accident just became part of the fabric of that game for me.

I couldn't disagree more, I think I got a proper handle on it all after a dozen or so hours. I can't think of a single moment in the last few chapters or the epilogue when I fucked up.

Also looking back on my first playthrough (I'm going through it a second time on Xbox now) I can't really think of any moment where the game punished me for something that wasn't really my own doing. I mean how many open world games can you say allow you to be clumsy and get in trouble over it? Isn't that kind of cool and amusing in itself?

I really don't think every game demands fluid responses to player input though, for example I'd say a game that has you taming an animal or moving through a large world in a time pre-motorized transport (especially when the character is literally dying) like Red Dead 2 does can be interesting in not always providing the player instant gratification through its controls.

I think if RDR2 had snappy and accurate controls, it would lose literally nothing and many more people would be into it. This defense of the controls sounds more like Stockholm syndrome because the game is the way it is and no one can change it. Everyone would be happier if the controls were better. Right now, it's something that you either ignore or have to justify with some contrived explanation about how it actually makes sense. If the controls were normal no one would say "I wish this game felt more sluggish".

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
The last two categories made my head hurt. I think they may have been better served leaving the goty category for another day but it seemed like scheduling was tight based on the new format. I loved the new process and then limiting it to 10 categories. I still want to finish more of my backlog before I run out and buy psvr.

Sep 12, 2018
I think if RDR2 had snappy and accurate controls, it would lose literally nothing and many more people would be into it. This defense of the controls sounds more like Stockholm syndrome because the game is the way it is and no one can change it. Everyone would be happier if the controls were better.
I don't think so, I think "snappy" is the exact opposite to what this game is going for and it plays almost completely fine for what it is.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Brad's turn to make an argument as if his saving it best for last. Even making a dramatic delivery.

But didn't turn anybody
It's because his argument was "I had an experience with this game that wasn't really caused by the game, it just happened to be this game I had it with." I think it was actually the point everyone realised there was no arguing with him because the things he likes about RDR2 aren't really rooted in the game itself. They were experiences related to the state of mind he was in while playing them, which the game triggered/connected with but aren't actually entirely related to the game itself.

It was cool to hear him so passionate about the game and i'm glad he managed to get it as high in the list as he did but at a certain point he should probably have realised it was a losing battle and thought logically instead of emotionally.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I love that Vinny can be a big goofball and turn super serious dad mode on a dime. Solid ass top 10 and big ups to Dan for digging his heels in on RDR2 for getting on most disappointing.

Best styyyyyyyle, god bless it, is still a mess.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed the most disappointing and best game category discussions. Vinny really put his foot down on some bullshit

Can't remember if I already said that since I killed myself staying up so late finishing the podcast up lol

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dan was shockingly prepared for the Most Disappointing discussion, being able to name the "pet" games of the past few years, and standing up to Brad on the bullshit of wanting both "the will of the people" and democracy until it didn't work out in his favor.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I think if RDR2 had snappy and accurate controls, it would lose literally nothing and many more people would be into it. This defense of the controls sounds more like Stockholm syndrome because the game is the way it is and no one can change it. Everyone would be happier if the controls were better. Right now, it's something that you either ignore or have to justify with some contrived explanation about how it actually makes sense. If the controls were normal no one would say "I wish this game felt more sluggish".

did anyone actually enjoy legendary fishing? i felt like i was going to break my damn controller. i guess one could say it was immersive though.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah, I'm glad Jeff finally addressed this by straight up asking "do you think it's good that your character doesn't move until 1 second after you push the stick?"

I don't know that I've heard anyone say "the gameplay is perfect I'm glad the controls are exactly the way they are," just "it doesn't bother me." Definitely no one in that room.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Agree to disagree then.

Because of the contradiction and reductive nature of your posts. Firstly, as expected, you don't seem to understand what generic actually means. Something is not generic because you didn't like it or because something else does other aspects in a superior way, something is generic because it is very similar to other contemporaries. In other words, when something is wholly unoriginal. I listed numerous things about God of War that highlight how it is not generic, due to many key things it does that are unique or rare, and your response was to essentially retort with how you didn't necessarily like those said things. You not liking said things doesn't make them generic.

Secondly, when your rebuttal to a certain feature is to call it grandstanding bullshit, then yes, I can't help but call or find that immature and amusing. Your disingenuous implication being that the devs only chose to do this thing just to show off or be pretentious, when instead they've been on record explaining their artistic reasons for it, reasons that countless people agree with and/or have enjoyed.

A bulk of your posts also consist of excusing many of RDR2's control and gameplay issues with arbitrary defences, ones that you ironically don't afford to God of War.

I don't really need to invest much more time responding to your posts, because several people have already responded and pointed out the irony and contradiction within them. I also don't think you even realise that a bulk of the complaints you've levelled at God of War, are actually more fitting in describing RDR2, which some have also aptly highlighted.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
People are oddly invested in painting RDR2's controls as objectively frustrating when they lack the authority to speak to the frustration level of others. Plenty of players either had little-to-no problems or were able to adjust after an intended learning curve.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
People are oddly invested in painting RDR2's controls as objectively frustrating when they lack the authority to speak to the frustration level of others. Plenty of players either had little-to-no problems or were able to adjust after an intended learning curve.
That's the weird thing to me too. I love Rockstar controls, and have since GTA IV. Some people don't like it, but that doesn't make them objectively bad.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
did anyone actually enjoy legendary fishing? i felt like i was going to break my damn controller. i guess one could say it was immersive though.
I was like two minutes away from getting Mario Kart Palm from that one with the Veteran, hah. But I'm willing to let the game have that as a sort of MGS4 Hallway thing.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The second "playthrough" is a different character and only briefly recounts the same events as the first playthrough while elaborating on them and rushing you through them faster. Everything after that is completely new and in no way a "replay" of the game. At most you "replay" Nier Automata like 0.4 times to get the "endings."

Really though saying that they are replaying the game at all is like saying Chapter 2 of RDR2 is you replaying Chapter 1.

I invented the myth

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, the controls are objectively bad (response time is measurable) but you can still be ok with it. Just like how games can have objectively bad frame rates and some people are ok with it.

Sep 12, 2018
Because of the contradiction and reductive nature of your posts.
You have yet to accurately point out a single contradiction in my posts, failing to realize that what works in one game may feel out of place in another.

Firstly, as expected, you don't seem to understand what generic actually means. Something is not generic because you didn't like it or because something else does other aspects in a superior way, something is generic because it is very similar to other contemporaries. In other words, when something is wholly unoriginal. I listed numerous things about God of War that highlight how it is not generic, due to many key things it does that are unique or rare, and your response was to essentially retort with how you didn't necessarily like those said things. You not liking said things doesn't make them generic.
You didn't list things that aren't generic, you just said vague stuff like "the mythos, the camera, the axe", it's unconvincing.

Secondly, when your rebuttal to a certain feature is to call it grandstanding bullshit, then yes, I can't help but call or find that immature and amusing. Your disingenuous implication being that the devs only chose to do this thing just to show off or be pretentious, when instead they've been on record multiple times explaining their artistic reasons for it, reasons that countless people agree with.
And AGAIN, I'm saying that the reason for it is cancelled out by the later game actively intruding upon it and making it frustration. It doesn't deliver on the promise and just looks like it's showing off after a certain point. There is literally no reason for the game to keep up such a ridiculously rigid perspective when the game itself interrupts it with menus and battles that are far wider than what the camera can show at once.

I don't really need to invest much more time responding to your posts, because several people have already responded and pointed out the irony and contradiction within them. I don't think you even realise that a bulk of the complaints you've levelled at God of War, are actually more fitting in describing RDR2, which some have also aptly highlighted.
I still can't see these contradictions I am making or where anyone highlighted flaws of mine with God of War that are more accurate in Red Dead. Do you acknowledge that God of War and Red Dead are two games doing different things and that design choices in one may fit better in the other?

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the controls are objectively bad (response time is measurable) but you can still be ok with it. Just like how games can have objectively bad frame rates and some people are ok with it.

I wouldn't be so casual to throw around the word "objectively". What makes the controls objectively bad? Response time? But there is no objective standard for that length of time. And plenty of people had no problem with it in this game, judging by sales and reviews.

I haven't had an issue with the controls in this game, nor was it a problem for me in Witcher 3.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't seen anything measured besides the act of walking from a complete stop. But even there moving the stick while holding X is much more responsive, there certainly isn't a second long delay like Jeff claims.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017

Probably from having it straight up called "Ending A/B/C/D" with credits even though endings A and B... aren't really endings. I love Nier but that game is structured weird lol

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm glad Jeff finally addressed this by straight up asking "do you think it's good that your character doesn't move until 1 second after you push the stick?"

I don't know that I've heard anyone say "the gameplay is perfect I'm glad the controls are exactly the way they are," just "it doesn't bother me." Definitely no one in that room.
I actually have seen people say exactly that in this very thread. The dude even said if the game controlled better the game would be worse for it. Honestly, how are you even supposed to reason with that type of thinking? My avatar is a game very near and dear to my heart but I would never excuse it's clunky controls with inane reasoning like "it makes game feel more weighty" or "I feel more in-tune with my character" etc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You didn't list things that aren't generic, you just said vague stuff like "the mythos, the camera, the axe", it's unconvincing.

How is it unconvincing? How many other games cover Norse mythology crossing over with Greek mythology the way God of War does? How many have a one shot camera throughout the game? How many have the intimate combat camera? How many have a weapon like the retractable Leviathan axe and all the puzzles and combat, physics etc that are related? To claim God of War is generic is absurd even by subjective metrics. One could only conclude as much by being hugely reductive, to the point where almost any game could be labelled generic.

Last edited:

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I have never had the problems with controls in an open world game, including Witcher 3 and other Rockstar games, the way I do with RDR2.

I've played 30+ hours and still nothing feels good or intuitive to me. It's a struggle for me every time I play.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 finished installing overnight...about to dive in and see how these controls feel.

(I expect to be on Brad's side as I typically am easily able to condition to developer intentions and rarely get frustrated by expectations vs reality)

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't struggle with RDR2's controls. I think I just didn't like the settings. I'm with Jeff that I'm not interested in westerns. If the intense simulation and detail of RDR2 had been applied to a setting I enjoy, I bet it's a game I would have loved.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's because his argument was "I had an experience with this game that wasn't really caused by the game, it just happened to be this game I had it with." I think it was actually the point everyone realised there was no arguing with him because the things he likes about RDR2 aren't really rooted in the game itself. They were experiences related to the state of mind he was in while playing them, which the game triggered/connected with but aren't actually entirely related to the game itself.

It was cool to hear him so passionate about the game and i'm glad he managed to get it as high in the list as he did but at a certain point he should probably have realised it was a losing battle and thought logically instead of emotionally.
when it made most disappointing.

the signs were there