• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
I did find it funny that Brad said he was tired of devs who can't help but reference their past games when talking about GoW but thought the call backs in RDR were amazing.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, that conversation kept in the Day 3 Deliberation video. I guess Hitsmas is confirmed for tomorrow.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Style over substance, especially with the camera being so damn inhibiting and some of the enemies are downright annoying.

I would have taken a Dark Souls style camera at the expense of the game's "cinematic" nature.

i never had any issues with the camera but i think it would be fine if they zoomed it out more for the sequel. that and improved the fast travel.

Broscientific

Oct 27, 2017
I did find it funny that Brad said he was tired of devs who can't help but reference their past games when talking about GoW but thought the call backs in RDR were amazing.

I do wish Brad would acknowledge that he just likes the vibe of Red Dead 2 and is willing to overlook its flaws whereas he clearly isn't for something like God of War. I mean, 80% of the Red Dead conversation in day 3 is Brad explaining or making an excuse for a shortcoming or complaint someone had about it.

okay, I can see youre on the Abby Defense Force. Ill leave you to it.

Yikes, not a good look dude

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish Brad would acknowledge that he just likes the vibe of Red Dead 2 and is willing to overlook its flaws whereas he clearly isn't for something like God of War. I mean, 80% of the Red Dead conversation in day 3 is Brad explaining or making an excuse for a shortcoming or complaint someone had about it.
It's like listening to Podquisition with Laura Kate Dale defending BOTW so much that it has become a long running joke.

Here's the thing though. After a year from now, I will still be thinking about Arthur's journey. I'm 100% sure I won't be thinking about God of War's gameplay even though I think it's really good and satisfying. It just won't stay with me. It's just like how I am still thinking about certain moments in Nier Automata and Yakuza 0.

And I'm still thinking about beating the Valkyrie Queen and all the work that went into it.. So to each their own I guess.

Garbuckle

Mar 23, 2018
Here's the thing though. After a year from now, I will still be thinking about Arthur's journey. I'm 100% sure I won't be thinking about God of War's gameplay even though I think it's really good and satisfying. It just won't stay with me. It's just like how I am still thinking about certain moments in Nier Automata and Yakuza 0.

Majima's introduction scene in 0 is absolutely a top 3 all time moment for me. And seeing his characteristics in the later games made it an even better moment.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We get it Brad you like RDR2 :p

Broscientific

Oct 27, 2017
It's like listening to Podquisition with Laura Kate Dale defending BOTW so much that it has become a long running joke.

I'm not familiar with the reference, but to be clear I think it's fair for him to defend it. It just leads to a pretty boring conversation to listen to when it comes off as just people listing complaints and someone else explaining why that wasn't a problem for them

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Majima's introduction scene in 0 is absolutely a top 3 all time moment for me. And seeing his characteristics in the later games made it an even better moment.
Hell to the yes. Yakuza 0 is real fuckin' good.
I don't even know that much about Yakuza but that bit at the end where he says hello to "Kiryu-chan" and throws his head back still brought everything full circle and hit me like a brick.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
The only bad thing about 0 is that it is the first one i played and none of the other ones reach those same heights .

GRIMREEFZ

Oct 27, 2017
MPLS
How much do you know about specific in-jokes from your place of employment six years before you got there?

Just curious.
idk if any. and its obv not a requirement. im just saying its hard (for me) to watch. I realize now unless youre shoveling gold at abby's feet, its best to not even mention her. LOL thats the state of the world I guess.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gb links are tagged as games and are blocked, I don't use podcast apps. Spotify is what everyone uses on work computers here, and SoundCloud is my backup.
if you can use Chrome, this might work: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/podstation-podcast-player/bpcagekijmfcocgjlnnhpdogbplajjfn
you can paste the GB podcast RSS feed url (https://www.giantbomb.com/feeds/podcast) into the text field and hit "add feed" to get list of podcasts in browser - maybe that'll bypass the filter?

Oct 25, 2017
The only bad thing about 0 is that it is the first one i played and none of the other ones reach those same heights .

It hurts at how much truth is in that statement. After 0, I was naively expecting every Yakuza game to be of similar quality.

I enjoyed my time with the rest, but 3 was the only one that came close to being as good as 0.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not familiar with the reference, but to be clear I think it's fair for him to defend it. It just leads to a pretty boring conversation to listen to when it comes off as just people listing complaints and someone else explaining why that wasn't a problem for them
The running joke is that Laura would defend everything in BOTW with "Yeah but that didn't bother me." It was said so much it kind of became an inside joke on the pod.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
idk if any. and its obv not a requirement. im just saying its hard (for me) to watch. I realize now unless youre shoveling gold at abby's feet, its best to not even mention her. LOL thats the state of the world I guess.

No, you're just unreasonably criticizing a female staff member for some sort of expectation no one on staff would hold to in her situation. She's a video producer, this is a job for her. She's not some super-fan like us assholes, it's just a gig and there's nothing wrong with that. I had a similar reaction when I first watched it, but it's a dumb reaction to have and likely comes from a place of latent misogyny and subconsciously expecting women in male-dominated circles to "prove themselves."

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
And I'm still thinking about beating the Valkyrie Queen and all the work that went into it.. So to each their own I guess.
I will admit, that lasted a week at least. I got the platinum in the game and the only thing I disliked about it (gameplay wise) was grinding for the full set of the mist armor so I could stand a chance going head to head with the queen. Some of the story stuff does not feel fully earned but other than that, it's a superb game. It's number 3 on my list.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
It hurts at how much truth is in that statement. After 0, I was naively expecting every Yakuza game to be of similar quality.

I enjoyed my time with the rest, but 3 was the only one that came close to being as good as 0.

maybe yakuza 7 will reach or surpass those heights? new protag, no kiryu (and presumably no majima either), new fighting styles, etc. im really excited for it

Last edited:

GRIMREEFZ

Oct 27, 2017
MPLS
No, you're just unreasonably criticizing a female staff member for some sort of expectation no one on staff would hold to in her situation. She's a video producer, this is a job for her. She's not some super-fan like us assholes, it's just a gig and there's nothing wrong with that. I had a similar reaction when I first watched it, but it's a dumb reaction to have and likely comes from a place of latent misogyny and subconsciously expecting women in male-dominated circles to "prove themselves."
what does her being a woman have to do with anything? any criticism at all always comes back to that...

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Do they fix the name location overlay in Mario Party Party? Cuz I can't see what options are on character dice.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Today most likely will have articles and awards given out. I'll be camping in the OP. I'll miss posting some of my thoughts while listening. It's going to be a long listen without posting or reading anything today and tomorrow too as to avoid spoilers. However, I will be updating the OP of course so always check on that and I'll post the crews list and videos of today as well as a reply for those reading the lastest page.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
As Abby said this could have been fine in a game that represented more of a female perspective, but the bad trope here is exacerbated by it being another entry in a pretty misogynistic video game series where it starts with a woman's death motivating the men and then setting up the only woman in the story with any modicum of agency as wanting to die at the hands of a man and then becoming a villain when she's not granted that chance. I don't think it's terrible as there is definitely some sympathy given her but it definitely shows the game's completely limited perspective and how despite its posturing it hasn't grown all that much.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/wjb5jx/god-of-war-moms
"Die at the hands of a man..." you'd have to be really dense to interpret it that way. It's not just "the hands of a man". It's the hands of her own child, flesh and blood, who she corrupted and drove to the brink of insanity because of her own selfish desire for his absolute safety.

Which also makes her willing to choose death if it gives her child peace make all the more sense. Something that was very clearly in her character from the beginning. It's not bad writing, nor is it in the manner that Abby portrayed it. You have to willfully reject what it's ACTUALLY portraying to interpret it as just "violence against a woman at the hands of a man."

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

The thing with RDR 2 with me is yeah, I will remember Arthur's journey a year from now, but those fond memories will also be accomplished by me remembering all the times I got annoyed at one of the absurd gameplay decisions Rockstar made. The bad stuff in RDR 2 taints my fond memories of it a lot, while with God of war, there is nothing to really taint it, both the story and gameplay were great.