• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My first time watching any of the Mario Party videos of theirs(outside of highlight clips).

Out of curiosity, of all the games they played in the series, which one stuck as being the absolute most hated one of the group? Was it apparent?

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
My first time watching any of the Mario Party videos of theirs(outside of highlight clips).

Out of curiosity, of all the games they played in the series, which one stuck as being the absolute most hated one of the group? Was it apparent?
6 or 7, 6 had a really bad board where you had to steal stars, and 7 had sail the canals playing all the time.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

I think the one where they played the map that didn't have any stars on it and it was all about stealing each other's stars. That was largely coloured by how terrible that map is though.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if Fallout 4 were any good.
Nah, RDR2 is a good game.
Thats a pretty good comparison tbh.
lol
I got out of the ice level so I'm honestly not too far into the game, but the way they talk about all the shitty mechanics reminds me of Austin defending the base building and other jank in Fallout 4. Quality of the game aside, it's literally the same argument.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
I'm pretty far behind in the discussions but I LOVED the Frostpunk chat (it's not on enough lists) and I'm currently loving listening to the Detroit chat. I adore listening to Alex talk about Detroit.
If you liked Alex on Detroit, you might love Heather Alexandra's playthrough over on her Twitch channel. I would never play it but it was a joy to watch a critic and a like-minded chat experience it together

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be awesome if Abby could spend a year at GB West, then go back to East and take over completely.

Making this happen should be Jeff's #1 priority from now on.

Also, wrapping up the GoW segment, and two things:

1). Last thing I'll randomly say on the subject of "hey guys, Abby was actually really positive, what's wrong with you," as I get the feeling drawing out the backlash to the backlash doesn't serve the most productive purpose: one of the last things she says is how much she loved the game...

2). I found the Cave of Kratos in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey while listening to this. Why does it feel like Giant Bomb has become the vessel of some higher power all of a sudden.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I can't speak for everyone, but personally I appreciate Abby's message and don't even disagree with her but find her delivery to be very offputting. I don't think she's a very good public speaker. If you read her top 10 list, she actually seems to love God of War. But she talks about it on that podcast as if she doesn't and she crashes immediately into the conversation about the game to only highlight her problems with the game very heavy handedly long before saying anything positive about what is, apparently, one of her favorite games of the year.

I also have a hard time taking her seriously when she so quickly waves away the story telling around Atreus. It seems like Vinny connected with the story beats around Atreus and the small segment of the game where Atreus is being a little jerk from a real parental point of view. Same with the ending with Freya as a mother, but Abby handwaves those away saying that she doesn't like kids or something very reductive like that. I find it very hard to take any kind of video game sociological critism seriously from Abby when she has such obviously selective lenses to view them through.

Personally that's why I find her to be very irritating on these podcasts. I'm sure she's a perfectly nice and good person and I think she has a right to her opinions as much as anyone else does, but I do think her critisms a very shallow and poorly articulated. And for the record, I found Brad's criticism of God of War to be perhaps even more unfounded and shallow, but I don't find him to be guilty of that sort of thing nearly as often.
Man, this is an incredibly bad post reeking with someone searching for any reason to dislike Abby. This is incredible. I didn't think this would happen for a second year in a row, but here we are.

Broscientific

Oct 27, 2017
I also have a hard time taking her seriously when she so quickly waves away the story telling around Atreus. It seems like Vinny connected with the story beats around Atreus and the small segment of the game where Atreus is being a little jerk from a real parental point of view. Same with the ending with Freya as a mother, but Abby handwaves those away saying that she doesn't like kids or something very reductive like that. I find it very hard to take any kind of video game sociological critism seriously from Abby when she has such obviously selective lenses to view them through.

Vinny reacting to the plot points about Atreus as a parent isn't a "selective lens" whereas Abby reacting to it as a woman is?

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't abrupt at all. "Plenty" of people are wrong.
as someone who just finished the game a couple days ago, it's easily the most whiplash moment in the whole game for me. the whole episode is maybe half an hour long and he turns into and asshole and back to normal like someone accidentally flipped the 'little shit' switch on his back. it felt like a story beat the writers felt obligated to hit instead of something that unfolded organically. it was a really jarring moment that was at odds with writing that was otherwise handled with a relatively deft touch.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting a weird vibe from Jeff all year.

My abandonment shields are always up at this time of year.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
as someone who just finished the game a couple days ago, it's easily the most whiplash moment in the whole game for me. the whole episode is maybe half an hour long and he turns into and asshole and back to normal like someone accidentally flipped the 'little shit' switch on his back. it felt like a story beat the writers felt obligated to hit instead of something that unfolded organically. it was a really jarring moment that was at odds with writing that was otherwise handled with a relatively deft touch.

Finding out you're a god will do that prob

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Lol it was funny watching Jeff hold back during the RDR2 discussion. Vinny was the best at articulating his problems with it. I'd be suprised if it wins best game, but Brad constantly gushing about it probably might will it into happening. Also glad my boy Jan got to share some of his opinions for once.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finding out you're a god will do that prob
and then he's shook back to mortal levels of humbleness after his umpteenth near-death encounter like fifteen minutes later. "oh man, this thing that's happened every ten minutes since we started dragging this bag of dirt up this hill has really put things in perspective!"

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
The moment where he is so arrogant he stops listening to your instructions is fucking awesome.
Hey, boy, shoot this guy
Huh i pressed the button? why isn't this working.Oh holy shit this damn kid is off the rails.

I love it

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and then he's shook back to mortal levels of humbleness after his umpteenth near-death encounter like fifteen minutes later. "oh man, this thing that's happened every ten minutes since we started dragging this bag of dirt up this hill has really put things in perspective!"

If you pay attention I truly think that Atreus isn't in his right mind when that stuff occurs. I'm not sure if it was touching a particular rune or not, but he acts like he doesn't even remember when he's encountered by his shadow in Helheim. Regardless, your cynicism is obvious and I don't think your conclusion is really what the intention is.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. They just had another Ori moment with not putting Octopath on Best Music list. That said with only Ben and Dan having played it, I'm not surprised, but oof...

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have Bingo for fans to finally start inserting their narrative.

I heard Brad hates Dan. See that facial expression

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol it was funny watching Jeff hold back during the RDR2 discussion. Vinny was the best at articulating his problems with it. I'd be suprised if it wins best game, but Brad constantly gushing about it probably might will it into happening. Also glad my boy Jan got to share some of his opinions for once.

Thing is, how many other games could be in contention? There wasn't universal acclaim for any other game that has a plausible chance.

Of those with a chance, only RDR2 and GOW got superlative praise, and RDR2 got more.

Unless I missed something. I did skip a few discussions.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, how many other games could be in contention? There wasn't universal acclaim for any other game that has a plausible chance.

Of those with a chance, only RDR2 and GOW got superlative praise, and RDR2 got more.

Tetris Effect is going to win unless Vinny keeps up his..."it's still just tetris" mantra (which i agree with)

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you pay attention I truly think that Atreus isn't in his right mind when that stuff occurs. I'm not sure if it was touching a particular rune or not, but he acts like he doesn't even remember when he's encountered by his shadow in Helheim. Regardless, your cynicism is obvious and I don't think your conclusion is really what the intention is.
i mean i really liked the game and Atreus' dialogue in particular, and this sucked the air out of that temporarily. it's by no means a major complaint, but it was definitely kind of a bummer.
as to the former point, i initially figured he had to be possessed or something, and there's a line of dialogue later in Hel where he says something to the effect of "that wasn't me, was it?" but Kratos responds in a manner that i thought implied Atreus was in control of himself at the time and was disassociating during the vision of what happened. after that i disregarded the idea that he was acting at the behest of forces unknown, but maybe i just overlooked that aspect.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Abby has totally been the MVP this year- reasonable, insightful, measured, and played more games than damned near anyone else on staff. She was green last year, but these discussions would have been markedly worse without her (and Ben, in fairness- both of their critical analysis and debating skills have vastly improved since last year).

Tetris, Dead Cells, Into the Breach and Obra Dinn all have plausible chances, and fewer people strongly opposed to them than either of the AAA contenders.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I just want abby to stop paddling air whenever she speaks. It irritates me unreasonably.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California

Only 3 of them were overly positive about it. Everyone else pointed out the flaws. Some more than others. Dan and Jeff are the only ones who really hate it lol. Its too early to tell. I could see Into the Breach or Tetris Effect wining.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PartialWellinformedCarp.webp

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I can't speak for everyone, but personally I appreciate Abby's message and don't even disagree with her but find her delivery to be very offputting. I don't think she's a very good public speaker. If you read her top 10 list, she actually seems to love God of War. But she talks about it on that podcast as if she doesn't and she crashes immediately into the conversation about the game to only highlight her problems with the game very heavy handedly long before saying anything positive about what is, apparently, one of her favorite games of the year.

Personally that's why I find her to be very irritating on these podcasts. I'm sure she's a perfectly nice and good person and I think she has a right to her opinions as much as anyone else does, but I do think her critisms a very shallow and poorly articulated. And for the record, I found Brad's criticism of God of War to be perhaps even more unfounded and shallow, but I don't find him to be guilty of that sort of thing nearly as often.

3 paragraphs

I hope everyone notices that the longest and most laborious criticisms of GB staff is always directed towards one person

These discussions have been so incredible thus far. I'm listening to Jeff talk about RDR2 and the fact that he put the game down because, in part, he couldn't run in camp during a celebration where you're meant to kind of just exist among your group is amazing to me. I remember just sitting by the fire, putting the controller down and enjoying the banter and songs. Again, these end of the year podcasts are amazing and I wind up missing Ryan and what he would have to say about the year's offering of games.

Edit: Whoa! Dan off the top ropes with RDR2 for most disappointing

Jeff ended up being unable to mount any kind of solid pushback against RDR2, as expected, and I don't think Dan's argument for most disappointing is going to last more than 10 minutes.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
She also said on the podcast that she loves the game. You just weren't listening.

May 5, 2018
Dang it! I checked out the awards season begins thread and I haven't seen the list, but someone basically announced the winner without a spoiler tag. Man I feel stupid! Avoid that thread to not get spoiled!

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Into the Breach, Dead Cells, Tetris, Hitman 2 etc have the advantage of there not being multiple people at GB who hate them, and almost everyone loving them.

IMO Jeff and Dan are way too negative on RDR2 to let Brad push it to number 1 no matter how obstinate he's going to be about it.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Originally I had them picking Tetris or Into the Breach but after seeing more top ten lists and finishing the RDR2 discussion, I'm thinking there's your top 3 to take it all. GoW seems like it's gonna need some more elbow grease to get past those three.

Also the zoom out on MPP11 was amazing and loved seeing Drew the Tyrant.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also comparing the Mario Party series to ICP releases is possibly one of the most apt comparisons I've ever heard

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Posting spoilers.
Someone said their GOTY list leaked.
Tetris Effect, Dead Cells, and God of War are top 3. Is this true