• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Jeff forming a GoW partnership with Vinn and Dan out of spite for RDR2 to shut down that #1.

Oct 25, 2017
Too much people hating on it

Don't see GOW winning either

It's gonna be one of the indies / small games that satisfies everyone (Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Tetris Effect?)
Still sticking with Dead Cells making it in. Nobody hates it. That's my thought on why it'd be #1.

Tetris is still just fucking tetris and not worth putting on a list unless it's an all-time list.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It just means best game that isn't a sequel. It's a kinda bad category that they always end up arguing over the definition of. I think it's weird that they kept it when they cut the categories down to 10.
There's no good way to name it because of how broad a category it is. Best Game That Isn't A Sequel Or Prequel Or Sidequel would be the actual name of it. Best New IP doesn't work either because they allow games that use existing IP but are new original games.

Ok, as long as I'm not alone on thinking it's not a good name for what it stands for haha

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

It's gonna be one of the indies / small games that satisfies everyone (Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Tetris Effect, Obra Dinn)
Yeah I think it'll be one of those four. Wouldn't shock me if RDR/GOW only barely or don't make the top 5 tbh. There's too many good games they agree about.

Sep 12, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 draws elements from the traditional Rockstar style of open-world game, truer and more fully free, discovery-oriented open worlds like Breath of the Wild and Skyrim, and purely systems-driven survival games that operate with effectively no authored narrative content. For me, it's the first game to effectively synthesize elements of all those types of games, giving me a playground of seemingly impossible vastness and historical detail, an intricately cinematic presentation, and a character whose fate I cared so much about that I wanted to engage with every bit of what the game allowed me do, up to and including taking a bath whenever I felt like I was dirty or treating myself to a haircut and some new clothes after my heart was broken. I did chores around camp, chatted with gang members, went fishing to unwind, made camp when it got dark. Everything I did to engage with the absurd, obsessive level of mechanical detail was to support my innate sense of what I felt was natural for my character to do given his state of mind and the events of the story. Keza MacDonald over at the Guardian called it "the sensation of a lived experience," and that's the most succinct description I've seen of the uncanny feeling the I got from becoming utterly engrossed in this game for what must have been a hundred hours or more.

My boah Brad dropping truth bombs.

May 17, 2018
Y'all thinking some flowery words from Brad is really going to make RDR2 Giant Bomb's GOTY 2018?

Jeff and Dan will make sure that doesn't happen.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
i did all that but she still sucked. i wanted arthur to tell her to fuck off and leave him alone but that wasn't an option. she's so manipulative.
I don't think she is. I mean you could have said no BUT it's clear that the relationship is not as clear cut as it seems to be. There's a lot of regret in the air, lost love, a father's deadly grip on the daughter, Arthur never quitting the gang due to his loyalty.etc it's a combination of a lot of shitty things and yet, they both wished things worked out better without explicitly saying it out loud(well, she kind of does at one point). I don't know. I really loved that subplot. It's tragic, endearing and the final mission of hers is very bittersweet.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Reading Brad's bit about RDR2 makes me wish that game played better so that I could feel that way too.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I don't think she is. I mean you could have said no BUT it's clear that the relationship is not as clear cut as it seems to be. There's a lot of regret in the air, lost love, a father's deadly grip on the daughter, Arthur never quitting the gang due to his loyalty.etc it's a combination of a lot of shitty things and yet, they wished things worked out better. I don't know. I really loved that subplot. It's tragic, endearing and the final mission of hers is very bittersweet.

my thing is she only reaches out to arthur when she needs something and the whole time she's with him it's constantly, "Oh Arthur..." crap and I'm like, "Please God stop"

May 5, 2018

It's gonna be one of the indies / small games that satisfies everyone (Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Tetris Effect, Obra Dinn)
Wait, does Tetris Effect count as an indie? I guess since Enhance publishes this. But Tetris and indie isn't something I'm used seeing together.

Oct 25, 2017
If you bought into Mary's bullshit, you're easily manipulated. Let Arthur not come off as a simp, please. Fuck all that shit. He went his own way. You can go your own waaaay.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
my thing is she only reaches out to arthur when she needs something and the whole time she's with him it's constantly, "Oh Arthur..." crap and I'm like, "Please God stop"
That is true but she admits that she doesn't know anyone who is able to be up for such a thing but Arthur. I guess this is where you come in to say no but I feel Arthur even in his somewhat bitterness at how things went, still cares deep down because he knows it was a lot of other things surrounding them that ruined their relationship.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
the RDR2 core system defenses don't make much sense to me. if the cores are so inconsequential then doesn't that make the entire system inherently superfluous & flawed?

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
the RDR2 core system defenses don't make much sense to me. if the cores are so inconsequential then doesn't that make the entire system inherently superfluous & flawed?
They should've been removed because I literally did not care about it and I guess it's because I always bought stuff from the general store every now and then. However, it could have worked to such great effect due to that one thing that happens in the story. But it was never implemented in a way that made it such a priority.

The deconstruction of the camp though through the game is done way better.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah don't see either GoW of RDR2 being their GOTY. I'd bet money on GoW getting ranked higher though. Just seems like it has more support at this point.

Gut says Dead Cells will win with GoW, Tetris Effect, Obra Dinn, and RDR2 rounding out the top 5 (no particular order on those).

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GB Staff RDR2 Watch continues:
Ben - #8
Dan - not on the list, not even honorable mentions
Vinny - #8
Abby - #1
Brad - #1 (list is unranked, but it's safe to assume)

Jan - not on the list, but he doesn't really get a vote
Rorie - not on the list, but he's no an editor, so it doesn't matter for RDR2 Watch

GB Staff God of War Watch continues:
Ben - #4
Dan - #1
Vinny - #1
Abby - #4
Brad - did not play enough to be really sure how he felt about it

Jan - #3
Matt Rorie - on the list

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Some shit's about to go down. I can feel it.

"Dan... Jeff... Come and get me you bastards" - Bradley Shoemaker or Abby Russell.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I think RDR has too much against it to make #1. I don't think GoW makes #1 either.

Right now my money's on Dead Cells or Into the Breach.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the near-guarantees at this point seem to be

Dead Cells, Into The Breach, Tetris Effect, Obra Dinn, Spider Man, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2

Which is already 7

What rounds out the top 10?

DBFZ? Destiny? Hitman 2?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think there is more support for RDR than GOW. Nobody hates GOW like some hate RDR, but the people that love RDR really love it.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
It bothers me more than it should that Abby is missing so many classic GB references in the Giant Rom video and asking about them.

Also is there no Hitduder 2?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I wish I had at least played enough RDR2 to have a sense of whether or not I care about being spoiled, lol. I've actively disliked the writing in almost every Rockstar game, but this one gets so much praise that I wonder if I should skip past discussion about it. I guess I should just to be safe.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, sweet folks here still thinking after all this time that RDR2 has a chance. That they'll actually give GOTY to a game that multiple staff members actively hated, just because some others like it that much. That's what these personal lists are for. The staff list still has to, to some degree, represent their collective opinions. Even the most contentious GOTY picks, like Skyrim or Mario Maker, none of the staff actively hated the winners.

Ya'll need to wake up, RDR2 has no chance.