• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
don't post or discuss whatever leak happened.

I have zero patience for it or whatever bullshit you guys were on yesterday

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the leak and The Quiet Man swept almost every category, really amazing and well deserved.

RDR got most disappointing though.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the guest GOTY lists were more standardized. Like why would I care about a list of 6 games, half from last year, in no particular order with maybe a line or two of text.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish the guest GOTY lists were more standardized. Like why would I care about a list of 6 games, half from last year, in no particular order with maybe a line or two of text.

I like it. Lots of different folks with lots of different priorities. Also can't go overboard setting requirements for extremely busy people who don't owe the site a list to begin with and are doing a favor.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff and Brad have been consistent over the years of picking out faults in frame rate and laggy controls. There are times when GoW drops to 28-29fps and causes issues and of course the performance mode is not a good option as it fluctuates in the 45fps range. This mode is simply not an option for some.

I'm also wondering could there be some GPU throttling on some machines that are taking off that could cause more drops below 30.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The creative and humorous ways guests use to praise the games they played this year (which might not have come out this year, and also might not be games) is the only reason I pay attention to those lists.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Just wanted to mention that I'm so bummed that no one seems to have even given so much of a glance at DUSK which was my personal game of the year. It's especially odd with how much Jeff seems to enjoy those sorts of old twitch shooter FPS titles and how high everyone was on DOOM 2016. I understand though it came out mid December and they all only have so much time, maybe it'll get a nod next year like some 2017 December titles are this year.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Handwaving them both as having "equally valid arguments" entirely misses how hegemony and privilege function in conversations like this. Abby was speaking to her experience of the game as a woman. That isn't a stance, it's a perspective, and it's one that's informed by decades of living on this planet and in this country as a woman. That is an experience that no man has and that no man can really understand. It is fundamentally incomprehensible to people whose experience [...]

Have to say that's some grade-A "Critical Studies 101" magical-and-unknowable bullshit there. Hopefully this sort of vapid intellectual dishonesty goes out of fashion soon, since its main function seems to be as an unassailable tool to silence any and all criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to mention that I'm so bummed that no one seems to have even given so much of a glance to DUSK which was my personal game of the year. it's especially odd with how much Jeff seems to enjoy those sorts of old twitch shooter FPS titles and how high everyone was on DOOM 2016. I understand though it came out mid December and they all only have so much time, maybe it'll get a nod next year like some 2017 December titles are this year.
yeah, pretty sure they recorded it before Dusk came out

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Time (the concept, not the mag) itself robbed Smush of its awards.
I highly recommend the Waypoint GOTY podcast about Sea of Thieves that featured the return of Danika Harrod: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bjekm5/our-favorite-games-of-2018-sea-of-thieves
Agreed, Waypoint's GotY pods have been good listens so far.

Kind of glad GB adopted a similar format, reminiscing about games before doing any awards stuff. I think the conversations that arise are so much more interesting to listen to. (Though I prefer the focused approach of Waypoint so far. Their Battletech and Life is Strange: Ep 1 pods were great!)

ket

Jul 27, 2018
So best looking is going to be GoW vs RDR2? The world is amazing in RDR2 but some of those textures and character models are rough.

i dont think it is fair to compare the two since rdr2 is open world and GoW is a linear game with a hub. RDR2 vs AC Odyssey would be a better comparison.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there are 2 camps of opposing views lol. You probably agree with one side.
I mean sure, but I played God of War on a launch PS4 Pro in 4k and never noticed any fan problems, or performance problems so don't agree with Jeff or Brad there at all.
Don't agree with Abby's points because as Vinny said "your violent against everyone."

So I guess I should say I only agreed with Vinny/Dan.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if he wants to fight for Destiny 2 as best on going game, seems like he actually knows what he's talking about there. his ill informed takes have way too much sway on games he doesn't like yet knows very little about.

I think Brad sometimes hangs too much on Jeff's opinion of a game that Brad hasn't played yet, i.e use that to not even try it. I can't cite specific examples, but if you listen to the (regular) podcast it comes up every now and then. I'd much rather he actually tried these games for himself, and then the ensuing dicussions would be more interesting.

Jeff can be very particular about what he likes and doesn't like in his games. Which is fair enough, but a problem if he talks other staff out of trying games, IMO.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Does anyone here disagree with the opinion the lady in the giant bomb had to say about female representation in God of War?

Yes. But for the reasons she gave. "It's and old trope". I'm agree that it would be cool to have more female protagonists and antagonists but...Her rasoning was weak: "Valkeries are there just to be killed ... Followed by "I wished the enemies had less of a male desing". "I think Freya WAS so cool until she let her son choke her and became an antagonist". For some strange reason she thought the game was about revenge. Vinny had to explain her the plot and she practically said "ok... whatever, It's and old trope"

I think the game packs of female exposure, not representation. Women in this game are the engineers of the different plots. We only see one, Freya. And it is known that in the game Freya is the Valkery general. A lot of subtle details about the women that unfortunately people didn't seem to catch.