• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 5 feels bad to play and the vehicles are still terrible. The cult stuff is portrayed in the dullest way possible. Just generally a bad time.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like it's yet another dead mother figure which is it's own issue but I don't know if I'd call it fridging (though it's not like there's some hard and fast definition). I wish they'd have done more to flesh out her character than "She was nice and tough".

You mean her personality? Because they go into her motivations by the end of the game.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point of the new format isn't to have the discussions all over again

It's to simply get the 'discussion' part of the game out of the way instead of having to explain it while they choose for their categories, because they've already discussed the games

Deleted member 3876

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm gathering from you folks posting about these podcasts is that I personally will hate them so, um, thanks I guess. Saves me however many hours they'll add up to.

Oct 25, 2017
You mean her personality? Because they go into her motivations by the end of the game.
Yeah her personality. I was hoping for some more like specific anecdotes or whatever during one of the boat rides.

Also due to the nature of the reveal and what it says about her character in a vacuum, it made me find the whole thing mostly just creepy and manipulative.

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
I think Abby makes some good points and Vinny kinda fumbled here. I say that feeling like Abby kinda tanked a lot of stuff in GOTY last year for me.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah her personality. I was hoping for some more like specific anecdotes or whatever during one of the boat rides.

I think the "one take" worked against them that way. I'd rather see it than be told about it if understanding her personality is paramount to you. Perhaps they'll do a prequel to this game where you play as Faye and you defend a destroyed Kratos after the events of III.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Abby's contributions to the Sims to this site outside of probably playing the most games they're talking about for GOTY makes her MVP.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Abby had some really good points about GoW and i just wished she would have taken a minute or two more to explain her thoughts about the fridging trope. I'm sure vinny and the rest would have at least
agreed that it was a point worth making.

As for 2mello i just hope he is getting his
fortnite money from Epic.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say it's kinda shitty to arbitrarily insult 2Mello when someone dragged him into this thread to begin with.

He's not part of the discussion here, no need to take shots at him.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Man, listening to Brad just write off GOW's story after hearing out of context bits and pieces of Athena's and Zeus' involvement was infuriating.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Man, listening to Brad just write off GOW's story after hearing out of context bits and pieces of Athena's and Zeus' involvement was infuriating.

Yeah, I never played any of the old God of Wars, but the idea that those Greek gods appearing in the new game means the story sucks is an absurd leap, even for Brad.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
This is the biggest problem with having Abby as the only woman on the staff. Regardless of how the discussion unfolds it will come of weird when the "old white dude" argues with her. And it can seem like bullying but the fact is Vinny has done these in years and is extremely good at getting his point across, and she just isn't there yet, despite her point being absolutely correct.
If they had more woman on the staff or Abby was more experienced and had the debating skills of a Kat Bailey this would be a very different scenario.

WIsh Kat Bailey was more prominent.

Would be such a great addition to GB.

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Survive is a decent game. If it had a full overhaul it would be a great game, biggest issue is the MP is very restrictive.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
And soon he'll be furiously making excuses for a game that controls as if the developers haven't played a videogame made by anyone else since 2010.
Normally, I really like Brad but I'm starting to realize I don't need to listen to these GOTY podcasts anymore. I'm not invested enough in GOTY crap in general and listening to them make all of these decisions with bad or incomplete information is just rage inducing. Seems like Vinny is often the only one with the self awareness to not comment on something he hasn't fully experienced himself.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Metal Gear Survive is a decent game. If it had a full overhaul it would be a great game, biggest issue is the MP is very restrictive.
you only have to look at We Happy Few to know that Metal Gear Survive is an ok game(I finished both). I beat the game and I liked parts of it, particularly the dust and there is something that happens in the end storywise that made me laugh my ass off. It definitely did WAY more than I expected it to do. I wouldn't recommend the game but I also would say it's not as bad as some made it out to be. Actually, I'm kind of shocked at how much (bad) story it has(more than MGSV!). It's decent overall.

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the most offensive thing posted in this thread yet.
Search your heart you know it's true.
---
So not to criticize Alex or Abby but Detroit sure as shit ain't broad it's deliberately tapping into very specific language and gestures from the height of the civil rights movement while also side-stepping the issue of actual real world racism. It's a fucking disrespectful mess of a thing. It's not even cute it it's stupidity.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if I would consider Faye a case of being stuffed in a fridge either. Usually for that trope it's an established (usually female) character being killed off solely to effect the male protagonist. For the most part, Faye's death is just backstory. She wasn't an established character, we had no connection or even knowledge of her. Just like I don't think I would consider the deaths of Kratos wife or child before the original God of War a case of fridging either. And to Abby's point about violence against women in that game, who isn't there violence against? I honestly can't think of any characters outside of the shopkeepers who doesn't have violence inflicted on them in God of War.

The entire point of fridging is that it's the writer using the death of a woman as a quick plot device to inspire some sort of feelings or action in (male) main characters, and it doesn't matter if she's an established character or introduced seconds/panels before her death. It doesn't matter if the audience is invested in her, just that the author has established that the character is important to someone so they can be affected by the death.

The fact that Faye's death is "just backstory" is evidence for this being a case of fridging, not an argument against it. Faye as a person is practically invisible and her death is about the only thing that's relevant, which is about as close to a textbook example of the trope as you're going to find.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yep - this thread acted exactly as I thought it would to Abby - more casual misogyny.

Comments like this don't help at all. There are equal number of posters explaining why they think what they think instead of one-line drive by's. The act of simply disagreeing with a female doesn't make one a misogynist, casual or otherwise.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Comments like this don't help at all. There are equal number of posters explaining why they think what they think instead of one-line drive by's. The act of simply disagreeing with a female doesn't make one a misogynist, casual or otherwise.

Sometimes drive-bys distill what others take a few dozen lines into that one sentence.

Bye bye

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Comments like this don't help at all. There are equal number of posts detailing why they think what they think instead of one-line drive by's.
I don't know, the relentless amount of people mocking Abby (just like last year) - not just in resetera but other Giant Bomb fan communities - is a problem. The level of vitriol Abby has received is noticeably disproportionate to what any other member of the site has received in GOTY. Lines from last year get used as memes to mock Abby to this day. Mass dislikes were dropped.

But sure - tell me, a woman, what I'm allowed to think is misogyny. I'm not going to engage with you any more because you don't deserve it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I think that as the day has gone on the conversation here has been slightly more reasonable, though still rough at times, but looking at some of the "she shut down discussion by saying she didn't fucking care!" nonsense from this morning...

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns on Misogyny
I don't know, the relentless amount of people mocking Abby (just like last year) - not just in resetera but other Giant Bomb fan communities - is a problem. The level of vitriol Abby has received is noticeably disproportionate to what any other member of the site has received in GOTY. Lines from last year get used as memes to mock Abby to this day. Mass dislikes were dropped.

But sure - tell me, a woman, what I'm allowed to think is misogyny. I'm not going to engage with you any more because you don't deserve it.

Certainly. You're more than welcome not to. But let's also not sling out casual labels towards anyone who disagrees with someone's commentary. It doesn't help the argument. There is a lot less casual misogyny than some of the users in this topic seem to imply.

The comments from people picking on Vinny are pretty laugh worthy.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me wonder, how that RDR2 discussion will go. Never played the game but don't mind the spoilers. Is there anything in that game that my offend someone?