• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
3071457-sims1.jpg

HOLIDAY SPECIALTACULAR: BLIND CREATE-A-SIM PART 1
The one and only, Jeff Gerstmann, creates one of his favorite celebrities in one of his favorite games.

---
HOLIDAY SPECIALTACULAR: BLIND CREATE-A-SIM PART 2
Rorie hops into the incredibly intuitive Sim Creator to create a singing sensation!

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Except that's you using a strawman to reductively claim Abby has a problem with the fact that Kratos kills them 'because they're women' when she explicitly considers the representation of women in that game holistically, and used that specific example as being off-putting, once the rest of the game decides that the women in it aren't that important. Sure, bring up whatever lore and game universe justification you want but the game doesn't earn any of that. I wasn't put off by it personally, but I can see how it can further exacerbate someone who already had an issue with it throughout the game.

I love animals and got 5 cats

I if was to dismiss every game in which you can kills animals, i'd have missed a lot of great experiences. Sometimes people take things too serious and end ip missing the point: it's a videogame

Couldn't care less if Kratos ao Arthur Morgan killed men, women, cats, dogs. It's a game. Not real life, which already gives me enough real problems to think of.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
And, while I do like Freya, I also understand why it sucked so much for Freya's turn to ring sour for people hoping to have that first female character to not make that turn. Particularly given that her turn towards antagonism can be read (but isn't necessarily) related to motherhood, which itself is gendered.

I think the writers didnt mean for that (I think they meant for it to be a parenthood foil), but it's not much of a stretch either.

I disagree that the game painting Freya as a flawed mother is meant to be some sort of specific commentary or viewpoint on motherhood since the father characters such as Kratos, Thor, Zeus, and Odin are all painted as even worse than Freya.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And that's the problem. That reading fundamentally ignores that, throughout GoW, his violence against women wasn't just egregious, it was celebrated. Take GoW 3 (a game I love) one of the achievements was rewarded after you used an innocent topless women as a tool to solve a puzzle ending in her death. The achievement itself was a gendered title. By treating his violence against women as just as bad as his violence against men, you're ignoring those celebrated elements, you're ignoring what violence against women means in western society historically, and you're perpetuating the criticism GoW tried so damn hard to reckon with.
And those old games rightfully deserve to get criticized, but using them to criticize the new one just doesn't make sense to me, the best thing the writers can do to address the problems people have with the old games is to not do the same mistakes again and actually have awesome female characters. (Which I think they've done a good job so far).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's technical merits like hdr don't do much for me as i play my games on my PC monitor with my regular ps4 slim.Looking good isn't everything it needs to do to be enjoyable or people would give the order 1886 more credit. Looks aren't everything. And the plot of david Cage games highly resemble the european TV specials that would air on late night german televsion and the story being on par with that isn't a compliment. The studio excels at making that stuff inside a game engine but it really doesn't wow me. Disregarding the dumb shit not mattering for you because you aren't american doesn't work for me either, cause i am a minority born in germany being made fun of being a minority in various segments of my life. You gotta have some ability to emphasize with that critique.

I understand, everyone's entitled to their opinions. I respectfully disagree with some of your comments, the game resembling german tv shows which I have no idea of doesn't detract from the fact that out of all games produced by this studio, this is still their best work. Also just because one of the dialogue options is an Android saying " I have a dream " doesn't mean I'll automatically qualify everything in the game as lazy writing either.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand where the Kratos being violent against women thing is coming from. He (mistakenly) killed his wife and daughter, and tries to kill himself for it, and he killed that woman in a gear in GoW 3. Besides that I don't remember him doing anything anymore violent to women that he didn't do to anything else in existence in those games.

May 5, 2018
On the Octopath Traveler segment. Ben is wrong about no interaction between party members as they have optional bantar segments where they do talk to each other. But they definitely don't interact that much outside of the bantars and I can see for JRPG fans they would rather have a party where the characters bond and have some chemistry. Also yes some of the path actions such as Inquire and Scrutinize are effectively the same as Inquire is the noble info collector while Scrutinize is the rogue one. Though Challenge and Provoke are different as Olberic fights an NPC with his weapons and skills while H'iaant provokes people with her animals and her beasts can only fight (not her). I mean, I'd love to see how it fairs in Best Style and Best Music, but I knew this game has no chance at the top ten. Its still one of my favorites though.

Last edited:

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really understand where the Kratos being violent against women thing is coming from. He (mistakenly) killed his wife and daughter, and tries to kill himself for it, and he killed that woman in a gear in GoW 3. Besides that I don't remember him doing anything anymore violent to women that he didn't do to anything else in existence in those games.
Im pretty sure the whole thing is about him percieving women as objects and nothing more of a "save point" sequence mini game

Sep 12, 2018
I'm okay with how little about past is and how everything is about moving forward, the whole game is done in a manner of journey from point A to point B.
My thing is that the game is clearly about legacy and redemption though, that's pretty much what I was sold on despite actively disliking early God of War games.

They also mess up the very simple premise of a father and son going to a place by spending 10 hours (!!!!) walking in circles doing inconsequential bullshit, but that might be an argument for another day.

Oct 25, 2017
Florence was great so I was happy to hear it get talked about. Unless others play it though, they won't be convinced. It was an easy 45 mins and very deeply affecting. Thanks for talking about it Abby.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I guess its more of how people perceive story telling to be. For example I know why Maximillian loves GoW is because for his love of story that tell very litle, for him silince means a lot, litlle means more. So maybe thats why I'm okay with how little about past is and how everything is about moving forward, the whole game is done in a manner of journey from point A to point B.

And here is they HAVE to.

You can't just move forward without reflection, and it doesn't seem to be completely linear A to B ever onwards because you're going back to your house and going back to your original weapons, etc. And again it's not a I'm going to force them to write and code this story; it's a this story you're trying to tell doesn't seem coherent knowing the past stories you told. You can tell it but it doesn't make sense knowing what I know, and I'm going to think it's not well thought out and I strongly advise against it, but sure, go ahead and tell it I guess.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My thing is that the game is clearly about legacy and redemption though, that's pretty much what I was sold on despite actively disliking early God of War games.

They also mess up the very simple premise of a father and son going to a place by spending 10 hours (!!!!) walking in circles doing inconsequential bullshit, but that might be an argument for another day.
The game definitely is not about redemption, it's about Kratos learning to live with what he have done in the past and stop blaming others, the Athena scene and the ending clearly show that.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I understand, everyone's entitled to their opinions. I respectfully disagree with some of your comments, the game resembling german tv shows which I have no idea of doesn't detract from the fact that out of all games produced by this studio, this is still their best work. Also just because one of the dialogue options is an Android saying " I have a dream " doesn't mean I'll automatically qualify everything in the game as lazy writing either.
I can admit that the game features good actors but when i know what the creator is actually about i can happily ignore this game and not spend money on it. Others on the internet do make good fan-art about it, it brought some good into the world by people not called David Cage. You don't want to engage in that problematic stuff that's your thing to deal with, but it's also not praise-worthy.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention her constat repeat of
Abby: "its SO GOOD"
Me: Ok Why?
Abby: "Its GOOD"
Me: Why?
Abby:"It makes you feel good"
Me: It made you feel good, so why?
Abby: Its ... GOOD
Me: ok lets move on, hm lets hear about cuphead
Abby : its cohesive
Me: oh god

this is some weird self insert fan fiction

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I love animals and got 5 cats

I if was to dismiss every game in which you can kills animals, i'd have missed a lot of great experiences. Sometimes people take things too serious and end ip missing the point: it's a videogame

Couldn't care less if Kratos ao Arthur Morgan killed men, women, cats, dogs. It's a game. Not real life, which already gives me enough real problems to think of.
What even is this argument? The difference is that you are not a fucking cat. It's a lot different when we're discussing a game aimed at teens/young adults where the few women involved are almost all entirely treated like shit, especially when domestic violence against women is very much a real thing. It is totally understandable for Abby to have issues with how this game portrays women when it promotes a real shitty, cliched view of women in media.

Do PoC celebrate every annoying trope used against them in media? What about when the black person dies first?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, up to the Detroit section. I'm glad after day 1, Abby has stopped nominating everything she played for best game- her not putting that house flipping game on the list was a shock.

I'm still worried about how this all ends up- last years combo of Best World and GOTY list was so awful I ended up canceling my premium sub for close to 6 months- and seeing the runtimes for this week makes me scared, but I'm glad they changed stuff up

May 5, 2018
Yoku ain't gonna be on GB's top 10, but good to see it will be discussed for Best Debut, Best Music and best Moment or Sequence. Deserves to be in those categories. Best Style too since it has a nice painted art style.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Timestamps for the free version of the podcast:

00:00:00 - A message from Jeff

00:00:54 - Podcast starts

• 00:04:42 - God of War (2018)
  • 00:34:29 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  • 00:41:34 - Frostpunk
  • 00:48:48 - Nintendo Labo
  • 01:01:35 - First break
  • 01:02:31 - Northgard
  • 01:05:06 - Bad North
  • 01:05:55 - House Flipper
  • 01:10:54 - FAR: Lone Sails
  • 01:14:05 - Quarantine Circular
  • 01:17:37 - State of Decay 2
  • 01:27:45 - Detroit: Become Human
  • 01:48:15 - Yoku's Island Express
  • 01:52:59 - Second break
  • 01:53:10 - BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
  • 02:00:46 - ONRUSH
  • 02:06:36 - Shape of the World
  • 02:08:31 - Wreckfest
  • 02:16:03 - Mario Tennis Aces
  • 02:20:43 - The Sims 4: Seasons
  • 02:24:43 - FIGHTING EX LAYER
  • 02:31:50 - The Crew 2
  • 02:40:13 - Unravel Two
  • 02:45:16 - Third break
  • 02:45:39 - Octopath Traveler
  • 02:51:35 - Semblance
  • 02:53:56 - holedown
  • 02:56:47 - WarioWare Gold
  • 03:00:12 - Dead Cells
  • 03:10:45 - Overcooked! 2
  • 03:13:19 - We Happy Few
  • 03:19:17 - Donut County
  • 03:24:36 - Yakuza Kiwami 2
  • 03:28:29 - The Messenger
  • 03:38:08 - Destiny 2

03:52:48 - The second day ends!

Last edited:

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Abby wanted to voice her discomfort about the female characters in GoW so much that it came out a little rushed and not very well argumented for what I believe could be solid points. I assume she will return to this further down the road when they actually discuss the game's GOTY placement.

Alex just tearing A Way Out apart was completely deserved. What a complete disappointment after Brothers. I cannot believe the last sequence of the story was presented the way it was.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
User banned (5 days): Being dismissive of and attempting to shut down discussions of serious issues.
What even is this argument? The difference is that you are not a fucking cat. It's a lot different when we're discussing a game aimed at teens/young adults where the few women involved are almost all entirely treated like shit, especially when domestic violence against women is very much a real thing. It is totally understandable for Abby to have issues with how this game portrays women when it promotes a real shitty, cliched view of women in media.

Do PoC celebrate every annoying trope used against them in media? What about when the black person dies first?

"when we're discussing a game aimed at teens/young adults "

I believe the game has a rating system? Plus, people need to learn how to separate a game from reality. If they' can't, then there's something wrong with them..

Gosh, i really fear for TLOU 2 when it comes out. I can alreay imagine the drama that will surround that game

May 5, 2018
Ha, I'm loving this Detroit bit on the deliberations. Alex destroying it while Abby admits its flawed but still really enjoyed its moments despite how cliché Detroit's moments are.

Sep 12, 2018

I believe the game has a rating system? Plus, people need to learn how to separate a game from reality. If they' can't, then there's something wrong with them..

Gosh, i really fear for TLOU 2 when it comes out. I can alreay imagine the drama that will surround that game
Art and entertainment don't exist in a vacuum. If a game reflects toxic values it should be criticized. "It's just a game brah" is intellectually lazy, disingenuous and flippant.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017

Young adults (ages 18-35 years). There's nothing wrong with taking issues with poor representation/wishing for better representation in games.

Also specifically about Abby's point: She even said she'd have less issues with how women were treated in this game if there was either a larger representation of women (that all weren't used as awfully), or the few they had were used better. Again, there's nothing wrong with that opinion.

Also, you are correct in that something is likely wrong with a person if they can't separate game from reality. Doesn't mean that some people (especially younger) cant. Is it the games fault? Not necessarily but then again, the game shouldn't promote those kinds of values in the first place.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Abby wanted to voice her discomfort about the female characters in GoW so much that it came out a little rushed and not very well argumented for what I believe could be solid points. I assume she will return to this further down the road when they actually discuss the game's GOTY placement.

Alex just tearing A Way Out apart was completely deserved. What a complete disappointment after Brothers. I cannot believe the last sequence of the story was presented the way it was.

to me it sounded like she was just going to give a quick little overview of her perspective on the game before moving into the larger discussion with everyone else but it got immediately challenged by Vinny and then she was in "oh ok, guess we're doing this right now" mode for the rest of it.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Thought ultimately GoW is a father son game. I don't agree with this notion that there's some kind of error that it didn't have representation Abby called for as if it's some requirement beforehand you can't go against. It could have zero, partial or fully fleshed out female character(s).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
When Abby ends her arguement with 'sure whatever I don't fucking care', its really hard to take on board what she's saying.
Its basically the same as last year where she did the same thing. Its rude and childish.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all overhyped the Abby GoW talk, it wasn't so bad. I largely disagree, especially with the Valkyries part feeling like a reach, but ultimately she didn't go that deep into it (yet) and the I don't Fucking Care moment wasn't the "oh shit" moment I thought it would be.

I also think we shouldn't jump to judge people who have a problem with her arguments on these podcasts. Half of the staff is annoying when it comes to GotY. Brad, always an issue, has really stepped it up this year by not finishing anything and then making awful assumptions. But at the end of the day a couple weeks in January I will get over this temporary annoyance.

I can't believe GoW Pro modes is somehow a deal breaker for the game.

Only Ben, Alex, and Vinny can be trusted on these pods.

Edit: And as mentioned below, props to Abby for playing games. Im glad she's at GB.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Abby ends her arguement with 'sure whatever I don't fucking care', its really hard to take on board what she's saying.
Its basically the same as last year where she did the same thing. Its rude and childish.

that wasn't really the end of her argument tho, that was later on in the discussion when Vinny brought it back up again

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
lol did the rorie video not get edited right? when abby mouths the celebritys name she didn't dub over it with the name XD