• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
People really need to stop putting their hopes and dreams into this game. People thinking because of the new engine and next gen hardware, it's gonna have a Ubisoft sized open world or Bad Company 2 style destruction or 100 player multiplayer matches.

Let's see more of the game before we start fantasizing about what it could be.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
RE: Cross-gen worries... I've read this on GamingBolt (original source is this video):

"Obviously the special citizen will be Scarlett," said O'Connor, "and we've worked with that hardware team to make sure the game shows up amazingly on it, and work with them to make sure that we know how to make sure the game look amazing on it, but it will be for Xbox One and it will look incredible. And it will also be for PC for the first time, day and date so that's exciting for us too. That's changed the way we develop and the way we think about things, but we are always shooting for the best possible hardware target. This time it's going to be up to you to decide–is it going to be Scarlett or PC; it kind of depends on your PC at that point."

"But the Xbox One is not going to be a second-class citizen," O'Connor reassured. "We're building it so it plays and looks fantastic on Xbox One, and then everything else is plus-plus-plus, but we've got a few tricks up our sleeves that we're thinking about."

This is literally just repeating something that has been said multiple times now. The concern that cross-gen games are being held back by last gen consoles isn't something new. It has been arround forever and I've yet to see an example, where it's clearly evident that that is the case.

Agreed, just like how everyone brings it up for Last of Us even today. Such a shame that game was held back for the PS3 :(

"everyone" = a couple people on this and other forums

The general public has nothing but praise for the game.

No, it's a ring silly.

Seriously, I think an open-world concept could be extremely interesting on a ring-world given you could see any point on at most any time. Across-world sniper shots anyone?

Zeta Halo is 10.000 km in diameter (30.000 km originally) and it's surface width is like 300+ km.

Good luck with that. :P

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 at its peak competitive scene had 100k viewers and competed for multiple millions of dollars

If that's trash tier then it's obvious what you're trying to do

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Idk man. Halo just isn't cool enough anymore to merit a competitive scene unless they change it up completttely or Ninja markets it incredibly successfully

Halo's had a rough but I don't think its performance under less than ideal circumstances would indicate its success under more favourable circumstances.

Halo 4 sold phenomenally well on 360, had a good campaign (despite 343's best efforts to make you jump through hoops to understand it), but the MP was absolutely not what fans wanted and not alluring enough to newcomers.

Halo 5 still sold pretty well and within line of mainline titles, the campaign was outright terrible but the MP was really good. Unfortunately it released in 2015 during a time in which the Xbox brand was still in the dog house.

By the time Infinite is out, it'll have been 5 years since the last mainline Halo game. I think the IP is in a place now where it's nostalgic again, and I don't think Microsoft are going to bungle up the Scarlett reveal or launch. It'll be available on Game Pass day one, and with Halo's presence on PC, including Steam, I expect it to do way better and sustain its success much better to boot.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
lol , Halo 5 is renowned for its brilliant multi.

343i know it's fantastic as Bonnie Ross said they think they delivered on the multiplayer gameplay, but failed horribly on SP, which is the general consensus.

It's so renowned it is easily the most divisive Halo MP game ever. It has a hardcore group albeit a small one that evangelise it but a far greater amount either have no interest of despise it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Halo's had a rough but I don't think its performance under less than ideal circumstances would indicate its success under more favourable circumstances.

Halo 4 sold phenomenally well on 360, had a good campaign (despite 343's best efforts to make you jump through hoops to understand it), but the MP was absolutely not what fans wanted and not alluring enough to newcomers.

Halo 5 still sold pretty well and within line of mainline titles, the campaign was outright terrible but the MP was really good. Unfortunately it released in 2015 during a time in which the Xbox brand was still in the dog house.

By the time Infinite is out, it'll have been 5 years since the last mainline Halo game. I think the IP is in a place now where it's nostalgic again, and I don't think Microsoft are going to bungle up the Scarlett reveal or launch. It'll be available on Game Pass day one, and with Halo's presence on PC, including Steam, I expect it to do way better and sustain its success much better to boot.
Sorry I'm posting a lot. But that's where ninja comes in with all his fortnite friends who all played halo back in the day. there could be a huge resurgence. especially with a 5 year gap w/ infinite

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
This is literally just repeating something that has been said multiple times now. The concern that cross-gen games are being held back by last gen consoles isn't something new. It has been arround forever and I've yet to see an example, where it's clearly evident that that is the case.
I think the worry is a bit overblown too and I think over time devs will be smarter about how to implement and improve both versions but there are examples. Here's one from Jason Schreier's book blood sweat and pixels talking about dragon age inquisition being cross gen
utGw7dJ_d.jpg

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
GTAV is an Xbox 360 game. Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game.

However, there can be some concern for Infinite being held back since it is designed for the XB1, and I think everyone would rather the next Halo, after 5 years and launching with a new system, to not be developed within the constraints of the weakest 8th gen console.

Infinite is going to probably be native 4K 60fps with increased textures, but if there is cross play with the XB1 then those are the only improvements Scarlett will get.

If there is no cross play between both gens, then I think things can be improved. Stuff like more enemies on screen, higher player counts per match, the works. Also they would be able to kill off the XB1 support if RAM starts becoming an issue for updates.

I'm cautiously optimistic on Infinite being big, but I don't want to hear that stuff couldn't be put in the game because of the XB1. I'd much rather have the XB1 version be lacking compared to Scarlett as opposed to both being equal.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
It's so renowned it is easily the most divisive Halo MP game ever. It has a hardcore group albeit a small one that evangelise it but a far greater amount either have no interest of despise it.

Halo 4 mp was divisive.

Halo 5 mp was generally praised, apart from those that want Halo to be a reskined Halo 2 mp..

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No matter how impressive or grand this game is, it will always have the stigma of what it COULD have been if they didn't do an xbone version.

You do understand Halo's about to do GOW4 number's with 40-50 million userbase right?

It has the campaign - check
it has the Multi-player - check
It has Forge (in Multi- player) - check
It has 4 player split-screen/LAN action - check (was missing from the last Halo)
It will have the iconic Halo maps - check
It will move the Masterchief story line forward - check

What are you complaining about???

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
And yet they are the primary audience for Halo MCC and its still behind Halo 5 (though only by a few places at any time).
That audience left years ago after three really (imo) terrible MP experiences and an absolute cluster of a launch with MCC. The Halo brand has been severely damaged which is why a lot of the old heads have no interest in Infinite or are playing the waiting game.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Rise of the tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 2 both had 360 entries. Yet both had excellent, top tier visuals on current gen consoles.

This 'cross-gen' scare mongering is overblown.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That audience left years ago after three really (imo) terrible MP experiences and an absolute cluster of a launch with MCC. The Halo brand has been severely damaged which is why a lot of the old heads have no interest in Infinite or are playing the waiting game.

I don't buy that for a second. It's true the MCC had a horrible launch but it works perfectly now, is included on gamepass and yet the population numbers are barely higher than 5's.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I don't buy that for a second. It's true the MCC had a horrible launch but it works perfectly now, is included on gamepass and yet the population numbers are barely higher than 5's.

There is such a thing as "momentum". Just like the xbox one itself, having a bad start can kill your chances especially if the competition is on the ball. But that does not mean a fresh start cannot bring the franchise to be successful again.

Halo MCC lost its momentum when they left it to die for 3 years. We'll see if the PC version can change that idea that some people still have of it being a "broken game".

But my point is, the next xbox and the next Halo are very much "a fresh start". Its up to them to not fuck it up. If the game is good, the audience will be there especially if people like Ninja play it on the regular.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
A little disheartening to hear him start hedging on the scope of the campaign. If it's not open-world I'll be disappointed, and if anything I wish they'd been explicit about that up-front.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Open World isn't necessarily even a good thing. Halo's missions should (IMO) be designed in ways that are similar to the mission Halo or Assault on the Control Room. Large, with multiple ways to get through it, but still linear in the sense that you are working toward a definite 'end' to that particular mission.

Gimme missions like that in H6 and I'll be happy.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
A little disheartening to hear him start hedging on the scope of the campaign. If it's not open-world I'll be disappointed, and if anything I wish they'd been explicit about that up-front.

The hedge perhaps comes from the idea that some are expecting an open world consisting of a full Halo Ring installation.

The amount of area that would comprise of is massive.

Perhaps the levels will be massive, but not encompass an entire installation.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Open World isn't necessarily even a good thing. Halo's missions should (IMO) be designed in ways that are similar to the mission Halo or Assault on the Control Room. Large, with multiple ways to get through it, but still linear in the sense that you are working toward a definite 'end' to that particular mission.

Gimme missions like that in H6 and I'll be happy.
I had imagined a combination of traditional levels and interstitial open environments, not unlike ODST (or even GOW4).
The hedge perhaps comes from the idea that some are expecting an open world consisting of a full Halo Ring installation.

The amount of area that would comprise of is massive.

Perhaps the levels will be massive, but not encompass an entire installation.
A contiguously rendered ringworld would be impossible without some crazy proc-gen. I'd never expect that.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I think the worry is a bit overblown too and I think over time devs will be smarter about how to implement and improve both versions but there are examples. Here's one from Jason Schreier's book blood sweat and pixels talking about dragon age inquisition being cross gen
utGw7dJ_d.jpg

Point taken and thanks for this. People usually don't provide an example like this.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I always find it funny that people talk about holding games back for a new generation comes in when developers never have enough time to even take full advantage of an ever moving target up until launch. If anything holds a game back, it's time developing it nowadays, not necessarily the hardware.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
'Dead' in gamer language means 'i don't pay attention to it, so it must be meaningless' as much as anything.
LOL, this is pretty dam true. I mean like outside of PC games there aren't many console games outside CoD, Siege and GTA that have the multiplayer longevity that Halo 5 has had. Some people won't speak what doesn't fit their narrow ass viewpoint of gaming.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
There's an odd narrative forming in this thread to imply that Halo 5 was a really successful multiplayer game in its day and only now, four years later, it has slipped down the charts. This really doesn't fit my recollection at all. Halo 5 sold well initially and was moderately popular for a short period, but it's been a long way down the most played charts for a very long time. It wasn't in any sense a big hit like Halo 2 and 3 were. Also worth remembering that you have to buy an Xbox to play it, and yet it's thwomped by all the multiplatform games on the Xbox charts.

Halo 5's quality gets exaggerated a fair bit here. Arena is good, but lacks content and variety in a way which meant I grew bored after a month or so. Halo for me was always defined by the mixup of vehicle and infantry gameplay, and 343i fucked that side of it up royally. Arena which is solely focused on infantry, Big Team Battle late and only shitty forge maps, and Warzone which is designed to make money first and foremost.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
There's an odd narrative forming in this thread to imply that Halo 5 was a really successful multiplayer game in its day and only now, four years later, it has slipped down the charts. This really doesn't fit my recollection at all. Halo 5 sold well initially and was moderately popular for a short period, but it's been a long way down the most played charts for a very long time. It wasn't in any sense a big hit like Halo 2 and 3 were. Also worth remembering that you have to buy an Xbox to play it, and yet it's thwomped by all the multiplatform games on the Xbox charts.
I wish some fighting games were dead like halo 5 is dead. Maybe I'd get a few matches

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Halo 5's quality gets exaggerated a fair bit here. Arena is good, but lacks content and variety in a way which meant I grew bored after a month or so. Halo for me was always defined by the mixup of vehicle and infantry gameplay, and 343i fucked that side of it up royally. Arena which is solely focused on infantry, Big Team Battle late and only shitty forge maps, and Warzone which is designed to make money first and foremost.

Like what you like (though I think that a near-cynical assessment tbh) I didn't suggest the game was a stonking success, but it clearly has an appeal and a quality that has endured despite its problems and the travails of the Xbox One.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
What? TLoU II will be released way before the PS5, and there is no talk about a PS5 version at all.
Dude.... TLOU2 will be released spring 2020 and PS5 will be released fall 2020. Not sure I would say that is WAY before lol. Given how TLOU1 was released late ps3 gen then immediately had a remaster released on ps4, do you honestly think the samething will not happen here. I bring that up because it puts Sonys flagship IP in the same spot as Infinite, at a late gen/beginning of new gen release. I however don't think it will affect how amazing either will look on the latest platform.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Halo 5 is a 4 year old game at this point. Considering it hasn't had any major content updates in two years and tournament support in over a year I would say it's doing pretty well still. In addition it had the highest player retention rate since Halo 3.

I'd argue despite it's short comings it is a much more varied and quality game over other shooters aswell.