• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
XBOX IS TOP CONSOLE FOR MARCH

The 112,000 games consoles sold in the UK last month is a rise of 21% over February.
However, so far this year console sales are down 46%, driven by continued stock shortages for PlayStation and Xbox devices.

Xbox Series X and S saw the biggest increase in sales during March, up 61% compared with February. Microsoft's family of consoles were the best-selling devices in March, which was helped by the arrival of more Series X stock.

Nintendo Switch sales fell 21% month-on-month but it is still the second best-selling console for March. The Nintendo platform remains the No.1 selling games machine of the year so far.

PS5 is still in third place as the console continues to suffer from shortages. However, Sony's latest machine did see a 45% rise in stock compared with the month before.

2.77 million games were sold in the UK last month, a minor rise of 0.6% over March 2021, according to GSD.

Downloads accounted for 1.94 million of those sales, which is up 9.6% over the same period in 2021. Physical sales were 835,000, which is down 15.5%.

Last month the market was driven by a handful of very big sellers. Elden Ring was comfortably No.1 for a second month in a row, driven by strong digital sales on Steam, Xbox Live and PSN.

New release Gran Turismo 7 is at No.2, and the PlayStation game did particularly well at physical retail. 45% of its sales were for the boxed version, which made GT7 the best-selling physical game of the month.

Over 73% of Gran Turismo 7's sales were for the PS5 version (with the remainder on PS4).

At No.3 is Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 5, which is up 45% in sales compared with the same period in 2021. This is because of the new PS5 and Xbox Series X and S versions of the game. The PS5 version accounted for 37% of sales, while the Xbox Series S and X edition claimed 28% share.

More here

www.gamesindustry.biz

Xbox and Elden Ring top the charts in busy March | UK Monthy Report

Over 112,000 games consoles, nearly 2.8 million games and over 700,000 accessories were sold in the UK last month.That'…

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to From, it's great to see Elden Ring doing very well. also the Xbox drop in the UK must have been huge, hope this is replicated in the US.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Not surprising, Series X was in stock on Amazon UK for about 2 weeks and was consistently in top 10 best selling before going OOS.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Is it true about MS and Apple buying up a lot of the chips or just internet rumours?

Just wondering how long MS can outship Sony or if it will just be ups and down for them both.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft are doing really well with Series stock. Even during the times with lack of X consoles, S was always available (at least in EU) and people had option. Now is even better with a lot of X consoles available.

Well deserved for Elden Ring btw.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yah finally able to get an XSX in the US with relative ease. Hoping the same happens for PS5 soon.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
3 games console sharing just 112,000 is not great console shortages are hurting stuff, to be expected.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
The XSX is literally available in store shelfs here in Portugal. PS5 is MIA.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I have yet to see a Series X or a PS5 in stores here in Sweden (I've seen multiple Series S') and it's been 1,5 years. Fucking crazy...

Had to buy them both through the internet (not through scalpers tough!).

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see Series X stock catching up, it's been fairly easy to get here in the States for a few weeks I'm expecting US results to be similar.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Here in Canada it's still impossible to get the Series X or PS5. They both had stock at Amazon CA on March 30, and that was gone in a minute. Still gotta pay 900CAD to get one from a reseller/scalper on Ebay. BestBuy/Gamestop? Forget it.

Series S + the Switch has always been available though.

Grats to Elden Ring as well!

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I finished on PS5 and rebought on Xbox Series X just because the remote play features are better on Xbox. Playing at work on lunch with S22 Ultra and Razer Krishi.

I love this game.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its getting better here in the Netherlands.
Far away from walking into a store and easy get one tho. But online stores have them in stock more often then before. So if you pay attention you can get it easier then before. Still some online stores only like to do bundles tho. With crappy headsets, docking stations etc. Wich sucks.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news regarding more Xbox stock finding its way to people (fingers crossed).

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I said this in the previous sales thread but there are weekly console drops of PS5s across many outlets in the UK and if you follow the stock alert Twitter accounts id be surprised if you *couldn't* get one.

The issue must be the overall amount just isn't that high.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I said this in the previous sales thread but there are weekly console drops of PS5s across many outlets in the UK and if you follow the stock alert Twitter accounts id be surprised if you *couldn't* get one.

The issue must be the overall amount just isn't that high.
This weeks Argos and Smyths drops disappeared in an instant... Currys were doing £750 bundles, which is probably out of the reach of many, but if the stuff in the bundles was stuff you wanted (1TB, games etc) or would have gotten anyway, they were available for quite a long time. GAME's bundles are daft - t-shirts and the like. AO and GAME restocked this morning.

Definitely feels like Microsoft have a better handle on providing the UK with a steady flow of stock.

Edit: GAME have some game + controller bundles available right now

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
112k consoles for a month ? The Switch alone sells around that number weekly in Japan.

These numbers are especially bad for Playstation since this was supposed to be their biggest release window software-wise for the whole year.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Is it true about MS and Apple buying up a lot of the chips or just internet rumours?

Just wondering how long MS can outship Sony or if it will just be ups and down for them both.
It might be true, but I think these chips are bought way in advance.

Another possible explanation is that MS planned from the beginning to focus on XSS production for the first year and slowly shift to XSX as the production cost of the larger console decreased.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020

Apple doesn't factor in here. Microsoft might be competing with Sony on the output of AMD chips on the N7 node from TSMC, but Apple has been on N5 for a few years and has dedicated fabs by TSMC for their stuff.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
I haven't heard of PS5 being in stock last month. Even on the stock informer type sites, nada.

I thought the situation was getting better across the board.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

It's not just buying chips, it's paying above rates for prioritised queue positions. MS justifies this because they are also playing with azure data centres so they can order a crap ton of volume

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
It's not just buying chips, it's paying above rates for prioritised queue positions. MS justifies this because they are also playing with azure data centres so they can order a crap ton of volume

It was definitely a strategy. MS have paid over the odds for priority in supply and supply chain preference. This is now bearing fruit.

The volume commitment through Azure is certainly paying dividends. It makes Xbox a more attractive customer for those further down the supply chain.

No doubt, some console warriors on twitter will see this as "moneyhatting" hardware, as both have done with software in the past (with the baddie MS this time being seen as depriving gamers of the real console they want by brute force). But it is pretty standard practice.

No wonder Sony are delaying some of their bigger games. They want to maximise the pool of software customers for when the games release.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they dropped a lot of xbox stock into the UK in March. Amazon had series x in stock for over a week so I'm sure a lot of people grabbed one last month.

I've yet to see a ps5 in stock when walking into a normal store that wasn't already reserved but hopefully they can get their stock drops going at the same extent so people can finally pick those up semi easily, but shortages and all mean I'm probably going to end up holding off on a ps5 until early next year.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft have done brilliantly to get so much stock into the UK, it's a pivotal time for them as people want to shift to the new generation. The word of mouth, combined with the stock and the general Game Pass effect will do wonders for the Series machines, as we're already seeing.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Yeah it sounds like MS is just brute forcing their supply by buying up a ton of chips.

Sounds like it's the same in the US.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Congratulations to next gen consoles. They're such a game changer, I cannot stress enough how much Im enjoying mine.
I'm still waiting for a game that will 'define' the generation as something apart from the last, but I do love my Series X and GP. If I can get my money in order this month I have a PS5 I'm gonna let myself open too... can't wait for more dedicated development to shift over properly! Or for the fruits of that development to be released, I should say.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Its top seller on Steam even now halfway through April. Never thought a From game would ever get here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Only a 112K console sales total is just crazy. Going to be a long gen.

Can't believe hardware is already down 46% on last year as they were pretty much impossible to get as is.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Wow Elden Ring did amazing, awesome to see Xbox doing well this gen, means more competition so we get bigger and better games from all involved. The gaming industry probably hasn't been this healthy in such a long time.

May 14, 2021
Congrats to ER and MS. Last week had a ton of Series X in stores in the US as well. If you wanted one and still don't have it, you weren't really trying.

Jul 26, 2018
I'm still waiting for a game that will 'define' the generation as something apart from the last, but I do love my Series X and GP. If I can get my money in order this month I have a PS5 I'm gonna let myself open too... can't wait for more dedicated development to shift over properly! Or for the fruits of that development to be released, I should say.

I hear you. I haven't had any OMG PANT DROP moment either. You might very well call them Xbox One XX and Playstation 4 Pro², and I'm fine with that. I'd still buy them anyway no doubt. The QOL improvements are totally worth it. Blazing fast loading times, quick resume, decent performance and quality modes on upgraded games. It's like buying a solid new PC for 500 bucks and it still has some additional qol like quick resume and the loading times. It's a fantastic leap even running old software.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Apple is always buying up all the chips. However they don't use the same chips as everybody else, they usually get like a year priority on any given node.

It does seem like Microsoft is buying up more chips than Sony but it could also be that Sony is getting bad yields. Remember Sony's chip is clocked pretty high to the point where it needs a massive cooling solution + liquid metal. Microsoft's chip is clocked at a pretty conservative 1800MHz so they can probably get away with less than ideal yields.

This is all speculation at the end of the day.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I hear you. I haven't had any OMG PANT DROP moment either. You might very well call them Xbox One XX and Playstation 4 Pro², and I'm fine with that. I'd still buy them anyway no doubt. The QOL improvements are totally worth it. Blazing fast loading times, quick resume, decent performance and quality modes on upgraded games. It's like buying a solid new PC for 500 bucks and it still has some additional qol like quick resume and the loading times. It's a fantastic leap even running old software.

Starfield might be the first actual current gen only game that hits this, I would say Microsoft Flight sim does this, though it's a pretty niche game haha, cool to boot up and fly around your area though. I think 2023 is when we'll start to get many current gen games that give us the wow factor.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Credit goes to MS for having the foresight with the Series S and being able to up production of the Series X.

In 2022, an available console is a successful console.

Jul 26, 2018
Starfield might be the first actual current gen only game that hits this, I would say Microsoft Flight sim does this, though it's a pretty niche game haha, cool to boot up and fly around your area though. I think 2023 is when we'll start to get many current gen games that give us the wow factor.
I mean I'm totally up for it, I'm very much looking forward to Starfield. Yet I'm happy to give them some room for post launch support until they game hits that wow factor. Don't have anything against Bethesda, but in the few past years I became more lenient with games at launch and I prefer to judge them when they hit their first year, which typically gives studios enough time to polish the base game and possibly add some content if they're up for that.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I mean I'm totally up for it, I'm very much looking forward to Starfield. Yet I'm happy to give them some room for post launch support until they game hits that wow factor. Don't have anything against Bethesda, but in the few past years I became more lenient with games at launch and I prefer to judge them when they hit their first year, which typically gives studios enough time to polish the base game and possibly add some content if they're up for that.

Yeah it's fine to do a wait and see approach, no problem with that at all. I myself can't have that same restraint, day 1 for me baby haha.