• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
....More projects than teams?

Obviously Remedy's leadership knows more about game development than message board posters, but it's hard to see how they aren't spreading themselves too thinly, we've seen Platinum make this mistake before as well.

Nov 21, 2017
I hope Remedy aren't spreading themselves too thin on multiple projects. Also I'm curious if the Control team is working on a game that isn't tied to Epic Games, I wonder who they're partnering with to make the game. Perhaps 505 again, Namco Bandai since they parter with all kinds of devs, or even SIE since a lot of the devs at Remedy seem tight with PS Studio people over the last few years. Either way it seems like it will be awhile until we find out.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
This seems like too much all at once, especially with some titles being MP focused.

I dont see their MP games doing well.

Good luck to them. Like all of their games outside of Control.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still working on Control ports? What's left to port to? Switch Pro? Or are they just a patch team for the current systems?

I am very interested in what's next for their shared universe. Hope it's something that's different from Control and Alan Wake

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I really hope one of them is a remake or remaster of Alan Wake. I tried playing it for the first time a couple of months ago and it hasn't aged very well.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I'm really enjoying control. Are quantum break and Alan wake worth playing if I like control a lot? I heard they were all set in the same universe.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control must have had a long tale to be able to afford this. It didn't sell well out the gate but must have had good legs. Honestly good on remedy, hopefully they can stay indie and not get absorbed.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
From the GI.Biz article here. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-03-05-beyond-control-whats-next-for-remedy

It covers more topics than just Remedy's current projects, but the part that I believe most people are interested is this.

So basically -

Control team: porting Control to new platforms + starting work on next big AAA project (publisher unknown, not Epic)
Vanguard team: working on new IP that is a co-op multiplayer game. (fully self-funded)
Crossfire team: working on CrossfireX and Crossfire HD (published by Smilegate)
Epic team: working on two games set in a shared universe (likely Alan Wake/Control universe) - one AAA, and one smaller. (published by Epic)
I dont think the 2 Epic games are on the same Remedy Universe as Max Payne, QB, Control and AW. Theyre on their own one

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'm really enjoying control. Are quantum break and Alan wake worth playing if I like control a lot? I heard they were all set in the same universe.

Alan Wake is better than Control, imo. It's story and how it plays out is really well done. I also genuinely enjoy that world more and the gameplay is really enjoyable. I feel like it was more of a complete package(I found Controls story very....lacking and uninteresting. I played through it because it was fun to play)

I never could get that into Quantum Break tho

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It might sound like a lot (and it is) but if you structure it properly it seems fine:
Crossfire campaign is probably mostly done as the game was supposed to release last year and got delayed very late.
Epic got the smaller game first and the bigger one is still in pre production so it might only scale up closer to the end of control team's game.
Vanguard is supposed to be handled by a small team unless if it ends up being successful and carry the studio financially, otherwise it'll just remain a smaller side project for building up multiplayer tools to the engine.
So in the end there's only really one AAA game being in full development right now, and that would be control team's "next big remedy project" with an unknown publisher.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I hope they focus more becaues Control felt like a game that lacked focus. The combat felt very similar to Quantum Break with different powers but the story was very mediocre and the ending ruined any enjoyment I had in the game. I really expected a bigger payoff than that especially coming from the team who made Quantum Break, Max Payne and one of my favorite games ever Alan Wake.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I dont think the 2 Epic games are on the same Remedy Universe as Max Payne, QB, Control and AW. Theyre on their own one

I know MP and QB are referenced in other Remedy games, but I don't believe that it's explicitly within the same universe like Control and AW. Furthermore, while it's not certainty, my read from this:

"When we were focused on just creating one single story, I don't think we were utilising enough of all the hard work we did on creating the background for these worlds," he says. "With Control, we took the first step in giving players more reasons to spend more time in the world, explore them and that's been successful.

"With the project we're doing with Epic, it's in a world we want players to spend more time in. There's more opportunities to explore the world and the brand than in one single game."

Tldr; they consider Control to be the first step in trying to establish a 'connected universe' and I think that what the Epic projects is doing - is continuing the work built from Control (and Alan Wake) - making games within the RCU.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Crossfire must be almost ready, wonder if the team will move to other projects or start a new one.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Alan Wake is better than Control, imo. It's story and how it plays out is really well done. I also genuinely enjoy that world more and the gameplay is really enjoyable. I feel like it was more of a complete package(I found Controls story very....lacking and uninteresting. I played through it because it was fun to play)

I never could get that into Quantum Break tho

Ok. I'll have to check out Alan wake then.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really hope we get Alan Wake 2. Playing through Control really got me hyped for more Alan Wake.

A remaster or remake of the first Alan Wake would be welcome too but I really want a proper sequel now.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I was just wondering what was going on with Crossfire X.
Alan Wake remaster + next gen sequel would be amazing, yes thanks.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
That secret publisher; Take-Two.

"IT'S PAYNE!"

As someone who thinks Max Payne 3 is arguably the best in the series (fight me) Remedy pulling a Halloween to Halloween 2018 and straight up ignoring it would be fucking incredible.

Like where tf would you go from there?!

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of ultimate editions.

Hopefully they don't spread themselves too thin. Maybe it's my incorrect perception of them, but Remedy never came across as a dev who would be able to work on two full projects at the same time, let alone 5.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
That's a lot of ultimate editions.

Hopefully they don't spread themselves too thin. Maybe it's my incorrect perception of them, but Remedy never came across as a dev who would be able to work on two full projects at the same time, let alone 5.
Because they were not like that for most of their existence; they would take around 4-5 years for AAA games. Starting around the development of Control however they decided to change their approach to multiple small projects.

Edit: They are now basically working on as many games as they have released in the last 20 years, 5.

Last edited:

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Bungie and Remedy do well and expand without needing to get acquired is really nice to see, hope their follow-up games are worthy and do well.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
They'd be daft to not make a Control 2 right now. It's the first time since Max Payne that they actually have a bit of momentum behind them in terms of main stream appeal.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I know MP and QB are referenced in other Remedy games, but I don't believe that it's explicitly within the same universe like Control and AW. Furthermore, while it's not certainty, my read from this:

Tldr; they consider Control to be the first step in trying to establish a 'connected universe' and I think that what the Epic projects is doing - is continuing the work built from Control (and Alan Wake) - making games within the RCU.
True, i can see that, just wish theyre were more explicity like "All our future games belong in the same multiverse", since Control opened up that possibility and as you said, only Control and AW are on the same universe as of rn.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
True, i can see that, just wish theyre were more explicity like "All our future games belong in the same multiverse", since Control opened up that possibility and as you said, only Control and AW are on the same universe as of rn.

IIRC they actually said that when talking about the AWE DLC for Control—that it was there first step in establishing a shared universe for their games starting by connecting Control to Alan Wake.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Like others said, the Control and Alan Wake settings and lore have SO much untapped potential still. I really hope we get sequels to both at some point.

I never thought Alan Wake was a terribly good game really but the atmosphere and lore was so good. I'd love to see a much improved sequel.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they aren't spreading themselves too thin, but interested in seeing what they're working on with the Remedy connected universe stuff.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope one of them is a remake or remaster of Alan Wake. I tried playing it for the first time a couple of months ago and it hasn't aged very well.

How were you paying it? I went through it on PC last month and was really pleased with how it holds up. What elements did you feel didn't hold up?

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I could never understand how many here in Resetera enjoyed the boring Control story and the repetitive gameplay..

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I know, that doesnt mean every future Remedy game will be on the same universe, per Crossfire X campaign.

Oh gotcha. But I did think it was pretty clear that would never be part of the RCU because Crossfire is already an established multiplayer series beforehand, with Remedy just making a single player campaign based on it. It was never a Remedy property and I assume every game worked on by Remedy and which they have total ownership of will have (at the very least loose) ties to their planned universe.