• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first read is that number seems pretty decent considering how long it's been available on consoles. People are interpreting it as a failure though?

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It probably didn't set up the world on fire due to R* Launcher's pre order bonuses and .... inevitability

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
So they *only* got $20 million from EGS sales (and $100M on PC overall) in one month, after they've already recoup'd all of their investments a year ago?

Shudder. /s

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great result for EGS, considering it wasn't an exclusive launch. They really got a lot of people hooked to them, it seems.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It does not track EGS. It tracks data from Xbox Game Bar, which for RDR2 only has two versions, Steam and RGL+EGS combined.
So EGS number is the one from OP.

(It would track EGS numbers only for exclusives or exclusives + win10 I believe)

Then where does it gets it number for EGS only from, when EGS and RGL are combined?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Probably helps but I'm guessing this is more of a case that shows the strength of long tail sales on Steam with discounted prices. Top seller is monster hunter world and that is half the price of rdr2.

TW3 had this exact discount many times on steam before, and its concurrent player number havent surged this high since the last expansion release. Obviously the show has renewed interest in the games, combined with the sales.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
RSL is very likely to be the primary point of sale. It's had far more reasons to purchase from it in most territories, especially a large price cut, free upgrades, free in game cash and free games, not to mention that all retail keys are RSL also.

Oct 27, 2017
Until something is better than Steam, then Steam IS PC gaming. It's the platform. If games are not day and date ON STEAM, then I'll probably never buy them.

I love Steam and agree with your point about needing so many different launchers. However I don't get locking yourself to one platform over others. Freedom of choice is ultimately one of the fundamental perks of gaming on PC.

Of course you're free to choose to exclusively use Steam, but it just seems a bit odd. I've installed and used EGS for the first time this week and am simply saving too much money to ignore, compared to if I had bought the same games on Steam/elsewhere.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Publishers deserve what they get for making PC gamers experience worse year after year. I hate EGS, but I hate publisher-specific lousy glorified download managers too. I'm absolutely done with needing 10 different apps + accounts to play games on PC. It's a shitty experience, and it's only getting worse.

Until something is better than Steam, then Steam IS PC gaming. It's the platform. If games are not day and date ON STEAM, then I'll probably never buy them.

I love Steam and agree with your point about needing so many different launchers. However I don't get locking yourself to one platform over others. Freedom of choice is ultimately one of the fundamental perks of gaming on PC.

Of course you're free to choose to exclusively use Steam, but it just seems a bit odd. I've installed and used EGS for the first time this week and am simply saving too much money to ignore, compared to if I had bought the same games on Steam/elsewhere.

The user you are quoting, specifically said "until something better". And I'd agree with the sentiment. I've tried everything including EGS, and will remain open to all trusted and useful options providing value. EGS is by far not that for me right now, and seemingly extremely unlikely to be so for the long term at this rate. Meanwhile Steam is absolutely the king right now, and continuously provides reasons to use it, even via third party stores.

That is not "lock in" - that's a savvy customer exercising their free choice in the face of competition, dependant on the value users are getting.

Right now, I rather not buy games, than buy from and use EGS, following my experience with the store. That speaks volumes - that cheaper prices is not enough to risk having a game I can't refund easily, isn't supporting basic features I need, seemingly isn't even looking to improve customer experience etc etc

Lots of people feel the same and it is an entirely justifiable position.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i think the game has just not been a big success on PC. i heard nothing but bad word of mouth around the PC launch
it's already got a 20% discount on steam. i never expected it to sell as well as GTA V but i was surprised to see it at that price on Steam just a couple weeks after it launched there.

the game definitely had a lot of problems. i kept getting huge frame drops (15-20fps) and constant stuttering that made it unplayable for me. this was with every setting at the lowest. my PC has a 9900K running at 5.0Ghz, 32GB RAM, and an RTX 2080 so there is no excuse for this kind of performance.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty suprised it sold that many. What incentive was there to buy off EGS instead of RGL or a key seller?

it's already got a 20% discount on steam. i never expected it to sell as well as GTA V but i was surprised to see it at that price on Steam just a couple weeks after it launched there.

They were being a bit cheeky releasing a year old game at full price. I bet they were hoping for some GTAV type success, and obviously they wouldn't be discounting it if it turned out like that, but I doubt they're too cut up by the numbers it's doing on pc. Discounting it now adjusts the price closer to what it probably should have launched at on pc but makes it look like a bargain to anyone who was on the fence.

Oct 27, 2017
The user you are quoting, specifically said "until something better". And I'd agree with the sentiment. I've tried everything including EGS, and will remain open to all trusted and useful options providing value. EGS is by far not that for me right now, and seemingly extremely unlikely to be so for the long term at this rate. Meanwhile Steam is absolutely the king right now, and continuously provides reasons to use it, even via third party stores.

That is not "lock in" - that's a savvy customer exercising their free choice in the face of competition, dependant on the value users are getting.

Right now, I rather not buy games, than buy from and use EGS, following my experience with the store. That speaks volumes - that cheaper prices is not enough to risk having a game I can't refund easily, isn't supporting basic features I need, seemingly isn't even looking to improve customer experience etc etc

Lots of people feel the same and it is an entirely justifiable position.

All completely fair. Steam is my favourite store by a substantial amount and like I said, PC offering freedom of choice does include the choice to exclusively use Steam. It's just something you see around the internet a lot (to varying degrees of passion verging on fanboyism) that I think is still worth questioning. Digital purchasing choice is something we have on PC that other platforms don't, so it's interesting to see why people don't.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

All these poor quality download managers like Origin, UPlay+, Battlenet, EGS, etc are the ones restricting freedom of choice on PC, not Steam. Valve doesn't care if Rainbow Six Siege is also available on UPlay. It's primarily THE PUBLISHERS restricting choice, and more recently Epic. Because they'd rather have that last 30% to themselves than do anything to improve overall quality of the platform.

You're only "saving money" on EGS if you were going to buy these free games otherwise. I'm not telling you not to get your free games if you actually want them. But Epic uses these games to inflate their install base, and convince publishers that they're not taking such a big risk keeping their games off Steam. Rather than making a desirable platform with a superior user experience, Epic is simply buying an install base to solidify their foothold as a PC distribution outlet. I don't want anything to do with it.

Also, this is not just a question of where you buy and download games. Steam is a platform. It has the kinds of unifying features players and developers expect on modern consoles: party invites, achievements, streaming, controller API, etc. The splintering of PC into lots of different pseudo-platforms like Origin seriously limit not just the user experience but the actual quality of games. We can debate whether Valve is the right player to "lead" the platform, but PC games really should be implementing one API so that games behave consistently. It would be ridiculous if your Playstation had 10 different accounts with different achievement lists, friends lists, inconsistent controller support, party invites only work between games from the same publisher, etc. But PC gamers are forced to accept it so that EA can pocket more revenue.

Major publishers + Epic are dragging PC gaming back to the pre-Xbox360 user experience. Valve is trying to make PC gaming what it historically has been: the most advanced platform.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Ouch, either RDR2 did most of it's sales on Rockstar Launcher, or the year delay on PC really hurt it's momentum, to be honest, the word of mouth for RDR2 wasn't that amazing, i don't see many PC gamers excited for this like they were for GTAV.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Very good number if true. Probably means that Epic's strategy is paying off, and a large amount of people are using Epic as a standard store/launcher.

Dec 14, 2019
Rockstar gets 100% of the profits by selling it on their own launcher.

Should I as a consumer care about how much money huge corporations get? I'd rather have good launchers with unified libraries. Too many launchers is about to ruin PC gaming more than anything. I would prefer to not fuel that even more.

RDR2 had more than 50K current players on Steam today by the way.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On second glance, that's actually really impressive. Why did anybody buy it on EGS? There was absolutely no incentive to buy it anywhere but from Rockstar's own launcher.

Should I as a consumer care about how much money huge corporations get? I'd rather have good launchers with unified libraries. Too many launchers is about to ruin PC gaming more than anything. I would prefer to not fuel that even more.

RDR2 had more than 50K current players on Steam today by the way.
Regardless of where you buy it, you have to boot up Rockstar's launcher.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Publishers deserve what they get for making PC gamers experience worse year after year. I hate EGS, but I hate publisher-specific lousy glorified download managers too. I'm absolutely done with needing 10 different apps + accounts to play games on PC. It's a shitty experience, and it's only getting worse.

But competition is good and it will elevate Steam over time. And, if you want to stick with Steam only, it's alright. I'm not a fan of publisher-related launchers but I understand that it's preferable for a business to make profit... That way, you get more games to play.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat, but that also doesn't count the Rockstar Game Launcher (which IIRC had both a pre-order 'upgrade' and was cheaper (after VPN shenanigans) than Epic's store - which is where I imagine most of the 'I can't wait, need to buy at launch' types went.

Kind of seems hard to compare apples to apples when we only have 1/3 of the total sales (and only a rough estimate of steam sales via Steamspy or extrapolating from Player count), but it's definitely no GTAV

It was also sold cheaper on Green Man gaming.

Dec 14, 2019
On second glance, that's actually really impressive. Why did anybody buy it on EGS? There was absolutely no incentive to buy it anywhere but from Rockstar's own launcher.

Regardless of where you buy it, you have to boot up Rockstar's launcher.

I still get stuff like controller support, family sharing, achievements, remote play, in home streaming, and so on.

Dec 14, 2019
But competition is good and it will elevate Steam over time. And, if you want to stick with Steam only, it's alright. I'm not a fan of publisher-related launchers but I understand that it's preferable for a business to make profit... That way, you get more games to play.

Competition is usually good, but when it comes to launchers on PC it hasn't been good at all.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Superdata really doesn't seem trustworthy, so I'm not sure I buy these numbers.

Dec 14, 2019

Tim Sweeney be like:

"We know that our store is garbage, and that people won't be using it. Let's remove the ability to choose."

Yay, competition is good.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

pushing stores to paying for exclusivity is hardly elevating.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I really fucking hope this convinces R* to start releasing PC versions of their game earlier than a whole damn year after release. And maybe not in such a buggy, broken state? Like what the hell? They dropped the ball HARD on launch week.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
pushing stores to paying for exclusivity is hardly elevating.
Sadly, this exclusivity garbage is a big part of the videogame industry as a whole now.
Competition is usually good, but when it comes to launchers on PC it hasn't been good at all.
It's still better than a monopoly.
If the consumer doesn't have a choice, can it really be called competition?
I'm not saying I like EGS' business practices (or is it Rockstar?) but still, there was a choice. PS4, XB1, Rockstar's launcher, EGS and Stadia. Or, not buying the product.

Dec 14, 2019
Sadly, this exclusivity garbage is a big part of the videogame industry as a whole now.

It's still better than a monopoly.
I'm not saying I like EGS' business practices (or is it Rockstar?) but still, there was a choice. PS4, XB1, Rockstar's launcher, EGS and Stadia. Or, not buying the product.

I'm still wondering where the actual benefits due to this "competition" are.