• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Op-ed by Chris Dring of GamesIndustry.Biz.

www.gamesindustry.biz

PlayStation's commitment is a huge boost to the VR market | Opinion

The news yesterday that PlayStation is working on a new VR headset for PlayStation 5 was really an industry story, and …

Highlights the uncertainty that was looming for a while on whether or not Sony will actually go ahead with PSVR2. ERA itself was doing monkeyflips of playing Sherlock Holmes, trying to read between the lines of Jim's quotes and statements when discussing VR and how VR on PS5 is just another piece of the puzzle of how Sony seeks to differentiate itself.

Oct 27, 2017
Well it certainly won't hurt, at the very least. Not convinced at all we'll see more first party investments compared to the PS VR Ver. 1, but the fact the new headset will come earlier during the PS5 cycle is interesting.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Well it certainly won't hurt, at the very least. Not convinced at all we'll see more first party investments compared to the PS VR Ver. 1, but the fact the new headset will come earlier during the PS5 cycle is interesting.

I don't expect it.

With how Sony has talked about VR in the past few years, it's clear that they "believe in it" - but are also very conservative about it. It's why at times, they come across as not being excited about VR and the only reason we know VR is still actively in development behind-the-scenes is due to the slew of patents.

I expect PSVR2 to be a continuation of PSVR1, in that it serves as a modest console-alternative that doesn't have the quantity of games that Oculus has, but enough to be an ancillary aspect of the PS5 experience.

Also, for what it's worth, I do think that with PS5 and the high likelihood of 60fps, we are at a point where VR-features can robustly exist in games made not-for-VR first and foremost, ala Hitman 3's VR mode.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I agree. I don't think it'll be enough to push VR into the broader mainstream market but I think being able to work towards a single system/platform solution will encourage more developers to at least consider making their titles VR compatible.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I was honestly worried Facebook killed VR with how poorly they have handled the Quest 2, but it brings me a lot of joy that Sony is coming through with a new headset, as they have helped push VR even closer to mass adoption.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
It really is. While PCVR is way bigger now than it was before, I feel like it wouldn't be where it is right now if PSVR hadn't paved the way for them.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just amazed that some actually thought Sony gave up on VR.

Its also obvious they didnt want to throw too much at consumers at once. They had enough to worry about if ppl would be receptive to a $499 PS5. That seems to be no issue.

This was interesting:

Last year, I wrote an article about PlayStation 5 where I said "if Xbox is Netflix, then PS5 is cinema." Some Xbox fans on social media took that statement as a slight on the quality of Microsoft's new consoles, but it was actually intended as a compliment to both companies.

Why would anyone take that as a diss? Thats actually a good description of both.

I have a Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Disney+ sub....but I prefer to go to the theatre when movies first release if I can. Both have their pros n cons. Its room for both.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't expect it.

With how Sony has talked about VR in the past few years, it's clear that they "believe in it" - but are also very conservative about it. It's why at times, they come across as not being excited about VR and the only reason we know VR is still actively in development behind-the-scenes is due to the slew of patents.

I expect PSVR2 to be a continuation of PSVR1, in that it serves as a modest console-alternative that doesn't have the quantity of games that Oculus has, but enough to be an ancillary aspect of the PS5 experience.

Also, for what it's worth, I do think that with PS5 and the high likelihood of 60fps, we are at a point where VR-features can robustly exist in games made not-for-VR first and foremost, ala Hitman 3's VR mode.
I expect them to continue to push VR as long as MS continue to ignore it. With that said, I'm glad that they have and that they continue to invest in it. Their money has funded two of my favorite VR games in RE7 and Astro Bot's Rescue Mission.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Sony is committed to VR. In the GQ interview Jim Ryan said "More importantly, we see it as something beyond this coming iteration that really could be really big and really important." In other words, VR will possibly explode with the next generation - the one after PS5!

Because gen 1 of VR has its flaws many have hastily dismissed it as a gimmick, but it's part of the future of gaming. And these headsets will become lighter eyesets, and it will become more and more accessible. The future will be amazing.

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely.

Playstation will have a huge install base and it's a different install base than PC.

Sony is a very important player to the VR industry.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I don't expect it.

Not that conservative. They put a lot of money and perhaps more importantly a lot of their limited first party dev time into it. Blood and Truth, Deracine, Driveclub, Everybody's Golf, Farpoint, Rigs, Wipeout, Astro's Rescue Mission, Iron Man, and Dreams first big update was PSVR.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
er.. isn't Quest 2 like the most successful VR headset currently, what do you mean by Facebook killing VR?

I'm not talking about numbers here. I'm talking about FB's approach to VR isn't good for consumers. With tying VR to Facebook and requiring an account, I feel VR was starting to go down a dark path. We need more companies like Sony to keep pushing forward so that VR is on a better path.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Not that conservative. They put a lot of money and perhaps more importantly a lot of their limited first party dev time into it. Blood and Truth, Deracine, Driveclub, Everybody's Golf, Farpoint, Rigs, Wipeout, Astro's Rescue Mission, Iron Man, and Dreams first big update was PSVR.

Yeah, their VR support was pretty solid, they just need to bring their A game to the table this time: Naughty Dogs, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, SSM and obviously Insomniac need to bring their games to VR somehow, or at the very least do some smaller projects for it.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Yeah, their VR support was pretty solid, they just need to bring their A game to the table this time: Naughty Dogs, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, SSM and obviously Insomniac need to bring their games to VR somehow, or at the very least do some smaller projects for it.
I think that would upset a lot of non-VR users. I think they got the balance perfect last gen. Solid support without alienating their larger user base.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly worried Facebook killed VR with how poorly they have handled the Quest 2, but it brings me a lot of joy that Sony is coming through with a new headset, as they have helped push VR even closer to mass adoption.
Not following VR, but all I've heard re Quest 2 is that it's a significant step forward, interms of innovation and reducing obstacles. In fact isn't it the standard that others should follow? Gary Whitta was praising it on KFG yesterday.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I've got no doubt that Insomniac will be all-in working on big VR stuff. They did a fantastic job making VR games for Oculus before they were acquired. They've got a decent track record.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not talking about numbers here. I'm talking about FB's approach to VR isn't good for consumers. With tying VR to Facebook and requiring an account, I feel VR was starting to go down a dark path. We need more companies like Sony to keep pushing forward so that VR is on a better path.

The Sony stanning on this forum is something else. PSVR is gated behind a console no one can buy, and Sony will stop at nothing to get VR exclusives on their platforms that aren't first party, hereby forcing you to buy PSVR in order to play them. Calling it a better path because there's no Facebook is just a silly concept. You just like the company more, which in itself is also silly.

I'm a VR enthusiast, if PSVR ends up having killer apps, I'll jump right in like any other suckers. Making it usable on PC from the get go without third party shenenigans would be a huge plus for it to become an actual VR headset and not just a Playstation peripheral. As it stands right now, it'd most likely cost me over 1.1k$ CAD to play PSVR2, and that's assuming I can even find a Digital Edition PS5. And assuming I can actually find a PSVR2.

We need more games that are actually VR games, not games with VR tacked onto it as a bonus for people who have PSVR. All in for these studios to get in and create amazing VR games, but please no VR mode or something like that.

I think that would upset a lot of non-VR users. I think they got the balance perfect last gen. Solid support without alienating their larger user base.

What would non-VR users be upset about? And who cares if they are?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I really feel like an Alyx port on PSVR2 where more people can play the game is going to change expectations about what an AAA game means going forward.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020

This does not match reality; the Quest 2 is a best seller and has significantly accelerated VR adoption in the mainstream (less so for gaming, its more driven by fitness), and regardless of what you think of FB, its wrong to say they 'killed' VR

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we def. need a couple of good alternatives outside of freaking Facebook.
Definitely. Which is the reason why I think PSVR2 will be PC-compatible. 3rd party VR games will have a bigger audience. And Sony is porting their games to PC, which will help their 1st party VR games too.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I could see this also being a huge boost to the existing PSVR library (which is already pretty good), basically taking a Nintendo approach by getting people onboard with the new system, but rereleasing older PSVR titles with enhancements for the new headset/better hardware.

There are so many good PSVR titles that people didn't play and could hugely benefit from the better tracking tech/no breakout box, better controllers etc.

I just hope that it comes in the form of free patches to the older titles vs new editions like Nintendo's been doing with the Switch.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was bizarre that people thought Sony have up on PSVR when it they were going to such lengths to not break up the PSVR library and the fact that immersion was such a big selling point for the PS5.

Insomniac's output is rather insane. They put out Spiderman, a major VR game and another Spiderman over three years. Then Ratchet this year.

I bet we will see them launch a genuine PSVR 2 game at launch.

Would be great to see more VR modes added to more games.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Definitely. Which is the reason why I think PSVR2 will be PC-compatible. 3rd party VR games will have a bigger audience. And Sony is porting their games to PC, which will help their 1st party VR games too.
This is entirely possible now with the single USB-C cable approach compared to where we're were at with the breakout box and proprietary connectors and stuff.

The PSVR2's headset will be rather run of the mill, but I honestly think the bigger leap is going to be the controllers and adaptive triggers. The increased immersion with force feedback is going to be a huge leap.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I really hope they can explore offering the exclusives on other devices though. I know some of the PC headsets also have exclusives, but in what is already such a small market, it really sucks to expect people to own multiple headsets to play the good games... Segregating the market is just gonna keep stopping VR from growing. That, or make the headset compatible with both PC and PS5. I don't think it'll negatively affect them by doing so since the vast majority getting PSVR 1s are console gamers who'd never get a headset for PC or even have a PC in the first place.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
We need more games that are actually VR games, not games with VR tacked onto it as a bonus for people who have PSVR. All in for these studios to get in and create amazing VR games, but please no VR mode or something like that.

Why not both? RE7, SW Squadrons, Ace Combat 7 are awesome VR modes, I'm sure there is a way to bring something like Horizon to VR or Sackboy or Shadow of the Colossus...if GT7 doesn't get full VR support it'll be a huge letdown, because a game like this is an absolute no-brainer for VR.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this article actually makes the post yesterday make more sense- it was more reminding the sector than gamers that there's a platform worth developing for coming. And that there wouldn't be news next year. I'm sure there's lots of biz dev behind the scenes trying to sort a decent content pipeline.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why not both? RE7, SW Squadrons, Ace Combat 7 are awesome VR modes, I'm sure there is a way to bring something like Horizon to VR or Sackboy or Shadow of the Colossus...if GT7 doesn't get full VR support it'll be a huge letdown, because a game like this is an absolute no-brainer for VR.
Every first party title needs VR support, even the ones that don't seem obvious.

Ideally the goal this time around should be that devs don't have to make 2 game versions to get VR support. VR in Ace Combat was essentially a separate game, this shouldn't happen.