• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
This is absolutely disgusting and 2K games should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Not only did they release a disgustingly MTX filled game for full price destroying all credibility this game had in my mind after loving it for years and years, but then they have the gall to raise the price of a sports game. This is why I don't buy any games from this company or anything that Take Two releases.

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I paid for The Last of Us 2 here in Europe and it was worth every penny, considering I got around 40 hours of top-notch entertainment out of it with one playthrough. I don't buy games with MTX though.
Still, games are getting bigger and more expensive to make. Something's got to give.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I was still on PS2 and 16 years old when 360 launched. Was there this much outrage going from $49.99 -> $59.99?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
If $70 is the new norm, I am now going to be waiting for sales outside first party...... fuck that shit. They already make unlimited amounts of damn money on all the micro transactions

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
They're talking 2 seconds load times to help just th $10 upgrade, but I'm curious what the load times will be like when you run the current get games on the new consoles.

If $70 is the new norm, I am now going to be waiting for sales outside first party...... fuck that shit. They already make unlimited amounts of damn money on all the micro transactions
Yeah. The stagnant $60 base price has always been one of the main arguments for the inclusion of micro-transactions.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember there being as much, but we also weren't being harassed by microtransactions with some companies making record high numbers. Now it just feels greedy.
Sucks but it is what it is. People have proven that they are more than willing to pay for MTX despite paying full price for a game.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Lol.. here we go.

I don't understand this strategy given how much money they get from microtransactions. Any increased barriers to luring a potential whale are bad and counterintuitive.

Right it is a bad idea. I will continue to say what I say everytime the "game costs are cheaper than ever, it is time for an increase" argument: $60 for every game plus hundreds for the box is a lot to ask of people. The concern should be on lowering development costs, not raising the barrier to entry and pricing people out.

What the quoted user here said makes sense even though I hate microtransactions. The fact that 2K is going to be fucking atrocious with microtransactions regardless makes this sting even more.

data

Oct 25, 2017
These prices are all over the place.

I really hope it doesn't mean prices rise especially when things are tight with the ongoing COVID situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the case as it's a long time in coming

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
75€ in the Euroland. I wouldn't pay that for any game, ever. Fuck that.

If this becomes standard Next gen pricing then I'm out.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Also want to mention that NBA 2k21 next-gen is being built from the ground up for next-gen, it's not a cross-gen game. I'm sure Madden and Fifa are cross-gen. I'm big NBA fan so I'll rent it from Gamefly and keep for a discount.

I'm not defending 2k here but it takes time and money to develop this version of this game. This is why I use GameFly.

Built from the ground up then re-use everything with little upgrades every year until the next gen. Also, they'll manage to integrate VC to MYGM/Season and other offline modes.

I love playing 2k but it's getting worse every year. Stopped playing 2k20 after a month because they fucked MYGM and the season mode is fucked.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Lmao. Fuck off 2K. I skipped these past couple of years after the extreme micro transactions touched every part of the game. Looks like I'm staying away for the foreseeable future.

I hope others don't follow with this pricing

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Everyone wants insta loading but nobody wants to pay for it. SSD tax, boyos. Worth it.

I was still on PS2 and 16 years old when 360 launched. Was there this much outrage going from $49.99 -> $59.99?

Yes, but eventually the dust settled and it was accepted. If this is the new norm the same will happen. The few games that are worth $60 like Elden Ring will still be day one. Life goes on.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
$70 games being the new "floor" is an inevitability starting this new generation. I'm honestly surprised $60 lasted for as long as it did.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
$70 for next gen doesn't surprise me given that the true version of a lot of games this gen were $70 anyway.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I will maybe buy one or two games at full price.

I can wait for sales.

Besides, my PS5 will most likely just be my Destiny 2 box.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They know NBA fans will pay anything after how fucked the 2020 season has been lol

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I managed to get a comment out of 2K but it doesn't really add much:

"2K's suggested retail prices for its games are meant to represent the value being offered," an NBA 2K spokesperson said. "With nearly endless replay value and many new additions and improvements only possible on next-generation consoles, we believe our updated suggested retail price fairly represents the value of NBA 2K21."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/ps5_games_could_cost_usd10_more_than_ps4

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope those anti pirate measures last the consoles lifecycle cause with the price increase comes the interest of cracking this thing.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Square Enix announce Avengers PS4 owners get the PS5 version for free?

Interesting to see that what 2K is doing is seen as the new standard when other big companies are doing the opposite.

Ubisoft as well announced that for AC. They also mentinoed to investors that all games would be like that. This seems like a stunt from a few publisher as I expect EA and Activision to follow suit.

Oct 30, 2017
I always look back at transition year sports games and they always tend to look a lot closer to the last gen counterparts than their next gen ones.

If I was ever going to shell out more money for full priced game, it would not be for a cross gen sports game.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not every game, though. That's the issue. Some games can make easy money on MTX like GTAV.

So where is the extra revenue coming from?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been paying $60+ for new games for over 30 years. Seeing people go nuts like they're getting scammed by paying $10 more now is a trip. Of course I'd rather pay less... but at some point these new games are gonna get more expensive.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Ah ok sounds like they are dipping their toe in to see if it gets bitten off. Doesn't sound like this is an industry-wide thing
That's how any industry wide thing would start. There's no collusion on this as that's illegal. Companies will see other companies selling at $70 and start selling it at $70 also as the doors open and they don't want to sell at $60 anymore. We'll have to see if other big publishers bite as well.

Obviously first parties are the great trend setters but major third parties can kick it off also.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Seventy Five Euros...

source.gif

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Heh, I remember SNES, Genesis games costing $70. Phantasy Star IV launched at $99. N64 games were often $50-$60.

Crazy to see how the price of pretty much everything has gone up but games have stayed put at $60. Even the hike to $60 for Xbox 360 and PS3 games was met with criticism.

Unpopular opinion but it's time to raise prices a tad.

Feb 27, 2019
$60 15 years ago was more than $70 today. Games are still getting cheaper.

This. Cost of new games hasn't gone up in 15 years which is insane, while dev costs have skyrocketed.

Most other hobbies (and clothing, etc) are so much pricier than gaming. Plus we all know that within six months there are always sales, etc. If you want it cheaper, wait.

I mean, I'm not exactly happy as a consumer but it's honestly long overdue.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This. Cost of new games hasn't gone up in 15 years which is insane, while dev costs have skyrocketed.

Most other hobbies (and clothing, etc) are so much pricier than gaming. Plus we all know that within six months there are always sales, etc. If you want it cheaper, wait.

I mean, I'm not exactly happy as a consumer but it's honestly long overdue.

Haven't game sales gone up? Otherwise before microtransactions, how were games continuing to make money as budgets skyrocketed?

Heh, I remember SNES, Genesis games costing $70. Phantasy Star IV launched at $99. N64 games were often $50-$60.

Crazy to see how the price of pretty much everything has gone up but games have stayed put at $60. Even the hike to $60 for Xbox 360 and PS3 games was met with criticism.

Unpopular opinion but it's time to raise prices a tad.

Phantasy Star IV was the first time I remember not buying a game, from a franchise I absolutely adored, because I didn't want to pay the price. I just couldn't do it. And I ended up not playing it at all until it was re-released in the collection.