• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The statement doesn't match the headline. It's about prior commitments made ahead of acquiring a game studio -- like Hellblade for Switch was planned prior to MS buying Ninja Theory, The Outer Worlds was planned for other platforms before MS bought Obsidian, and so forth. MS is saying that those studio are now focusing on development for Xbox/MS.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You keep ignoring what others have said about that statement too. They're not building other consoles into development at this time. You keep acting like ports don't exist.
I haven't ignored anything, I've replied even. People are reading what they want to read from that statement and treating it as fact, instead of reading it for what it says. Which is clear.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
This article doesn't say games can't come to other platforms after release. Microsoft studios aren't third party developers so it makes no sense to pretend there is simultaneous development happening.

I didn't say that the games can't come to other platforms, but you definitely are wrong as at saying Microsoft studios aren't a third party developer. Literally publishing and developing games for other platforms makes them a third party developer and, at times, they act like one. While there might not be simultaneous development happening for other platforms, the messaging that MS/Xbox sends is mixed depending on the interview. That's all I am saying.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I wish MS would consider bringing Rare Replay over. With Banjo in Smash, that game would sell gangbusters.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a fact, that's a conclusion you've come to despite not knowing what's going on behind the scenes but just really want to happen. It's confirmation bias. For all we know Microsoft is just more laxxed on what can or can't be allowed on other platforms but that still doesn't make it a partnership, at least not a major one worth breaking.

Point is, Microsoft isn't going to be as platform agnostic as you think and that's why this article exists.
No, it is definitely a fact. Cuphead on Switch is a fact. Minecraft on Switch is a fact. Ori on Switch is a fact. Banjo in Smash on Switch is a fact.

Also, this:

The statement doesn't match the headline. It's about prior commitments made ahead of acquiring a game studio -- like Hellblade for Switch was planned prior to MS buying Ninja Theory, The Outer Worlds was planned for other platforms before MS bought Obsidian, and so forth. MS is saying that those studio are now focusing on development for Xbox/MS.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really can't get more clear than "We have no plans to further expand our first party games to other consoles." They say "games", not development, it's not vaguely worded, people saying they just mean day and date are just reading that from nothing.
You're being pretty obtuse about this. People can infer things from a statement even if they're not explicitly stated. That's what people are doing, with the knowledge of how statements like this are said by companies all the time.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You're being pretty obtuse about this. People can infer things from a statement even if they're not explicitly stated. That's what people are doing, with the knowledge of how statements like this are said by companies all the time.
Sure, but they are treating it as fact, see the title getting edited.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this. The GI.biz headline is inaccurate.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because they don't own Moon Studios but still want to be on good terms with them, I would imagine now that they own plenty of 1st party studios that they're going to slowly move away from deals like that with 3rd party devs and prioritize their own studios.

I can't speak for Moon Studios but I very doubt saying no would have hurt their relationship in any meaningful way, as it would have been a very reasonable response. It's also worth noting that Xbox is actually publishing Ori when they could have just allowed Moon to self publish the Switch version.

Because that statement has nothing to do with Ori. It specifically refers to games produced by first party studios. Moon Studios (makers of Ori) is not first party.

The idea that this is in effect after Ori is a misinterpretation by the OP. This statement is in regards to Wasteland, Bards Tale, Outer Worlds, and Psychonauts. Games that were in development by studios recently acquired by XGS.

Yes, we're in agreement. MS' approach to Switch is (mostly) unrelated.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that what people have been explaining.... Or am I taking it the wrong way?
Day and date is what the mod who changed it, infered, there's not a single mention of that in the statement though. The "other platforms" should be changed to other consoles too, platforms covers Steam, which MS clearly weren't referring to with the part the Title is based on. But that part was OP.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The fact that Microsoft is having difficulty with the messaging tells you they're trying to keep doors open and not burn bridges. Doesn't mean Halo is hitting PlayStation anytime soon. I do think we'll see other ports. Keeping the door open is important because you don't know who else they'll buy, what purchases will only make sense keeping some IPs multiplat, or how fast the industry will change in a few years. What doesn't make sense in 2020 might in 2023. Also I'm sure they want PlayStation only console gamers to at least be looking...because eventually all Xbox games will be easily accessible on a subscription when they're being streamed across 5G.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Day and date is what the mod who changed it, infered, there's not a single mention of that in the statement though. The "other platforms" should be changed to other consoles too, platforms covers Steam, which MS clearly weren't referring to with the part the Title is based on. But that part was OP.
Jason posted right above you that it wasn't an accurate headline

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Microsoft messaging quite frankly sucks and it boggles my mind they still haven't sorted it 6 years into this generation.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
They don't once mention day and date anything, just a flat no plans for other consoles. Like there's nothing to point to them saying it like that, it's not even vaguely worded.
Not. Even. Vaguely! They've officially locked the door for all other exclusives born of XGS family. They dont even almost hint at the possibility of later ports. Like, at all...

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean ori 2 isn't coming to switch or not? That's like the only game I care about from Microsoft

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does this mean ori 2 isn't coming to switch or not? That's like the only game I care about from Microsoft
This statement doesn't stop that from happening.

"We have no plans to further expand our exclusive first party games to other consoles."

"To FURTHER expand." They're already releasing first party games on switch. Releasing ori 2 on switch would not be a further expansion. This statement, to me, means they're not releasing any future games on Playstation.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"We have no plans to further expand our exclusive first party games to other consoles."

"To FURTHER expand." They're already releasing first party games on switch. Releasing ori 2 on switch would not be a further expansion. This statement, to me, means they're not releasing any future games on Playstation.
Ok thanks, gives me hope

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

I really doubt that. Further expand likely means from this point forward. What was promised will release, and after that you either buy an Xbox or play on PC.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
. Needs to be put in the OP, so much misunderstanding

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really doubt that. Further expand likely means from this point forward. What was promised will release, and after that you either buy an Xbox or play on PC.
But releasing games on devices you currently release them on is not an expansion. It's business as usual. Microsoft will continue to release games on switch. This is business as usual now

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I wish MS would consider bringing Rare Replay over. With Banjo in Smash, that game would sell gangbusters.
I've seen a lot of begging for Rare Replay but that would be one of the most difficult ports. Much of the content is not available on disc, but rather through the digital store because it uses X360 back compat. It is the same reason we are likely to never see it on pc until they find a way to get X360 working on Pc.

As for the quote, the headline seems misleading. This seems to be more about acquired studios, though I do think nintendo fans are reaching for content Microsoft will make available.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it is definitely a fact. Cuphead on Switch is a fact. Minecraft on Switch is a fact. Ori on Switch is a fact. Banjo in Smash on Switch is a fact.

Also, this:
I don't understand why Minecraft keeps being brought up. They were never going keep it exclusive to Xbox no matter what from the moment the acquisition was announced so it has no bearing on what's going on right now and is probably why this statement was made to begin with.

And Cuphead is neither owned nor published by Microsoft.

My point is that there's most likely not a partnership and Nintendo just likes goes after these specific types of games and Microsoft is just cool with that.

MCC probably won't happen.
Any future first party Xbox game from the studios they've acquired probably won't happen.
Gamepass/Xcloud probably won't happen.
Rare Replay definitely won't happen for technical reasons so stop.
Smaller stuff like Ori 2 and Battletoads might depending if Nintendo's interested.

That's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

That makes more sense. Releasing first-party games on a direct competitor's platform would be a step too far for Microsoft. They probably think of the Switch as a handheld they can dump games onto since Xbox won't ever make a handheld system.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not having plans to do something doesn't mean they wont. I have no plans to go to the grocery store, but I'm going to end up at the grocery store at some point.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
So does this apply to Ori and the Will of the Wisps or are they just referring to new IPs?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This news is very necessary because MS messaging has been messy on this. And the ERA bubble was already full at work in the last couple of weeks, and again in this thread. So much wishful thinking and I could already tell people would be disappointed. Lots of people just want it to happen so they read into stuff whatever they want. I've seen threads here about Banjo-Threeie announcement for Xbox and Switch as well as that recent Halo MCC on Switch thread. Xbox is investing in content for strengthen Xbox and PC and especially Game Pass. People have said Xbox doesn't care about hardware sales but this was also misinterpreted: They just said hardware is not where the money is being made.

As people like 'facts', there are some already: The Bard's Tale Trilogy, the Wasteland 1 Remaster and Bleeding Edge will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
When a company says they have "no plans" to do something it doesn't always mean that. All it means is that they don't want to announce anything or give a hint to anything right now. There were "no plans" for Nintendo to announce Switch revisions and a few days/weeks later there was the announcement.

Why would Microsoft ask for Cuphead to be on Switch and put Ori on it if they didn't think there was a good reason? And why would that change after Ori? Making money off their older games would be a smart move.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
i can see more happening but i doubt big stuff like Halo, Gears and etc will be ported. Maybe with xCloud, though

Yeah, it's not hard to tell that they're talking about AAA tentpole (or tentpole potential) games. Stuff like Ori and maybe even Battletoads may continue to get releases on Switch but nothing bigger than that scale of game (with Minecraft continuing to be the exception).

Even then, notice how outside of Minecraft none of these MS games that have arrived on Switch have had PS4 releases? I doubt Sony is the only one keeping those games off PS4. Basically, I think MS still views PlayStation as a direct competitor and not so much Nintendo.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
If Xbox "has no decent 1st party titles," why does anyone even care where they launch or get ported to? Era is all over the map when it comes to Microsoft.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If Xbox "has no decent 1st party titles," why does anyone even care where they launch or get ported to? Era is all over the map when it comes to Microsoft.

It's as though Era isn't just 1 person and the people saying Xbox has no decent 1st party games are not the same as the people who want more of their games on the Switch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
When a company says they have "no plans" to do something it doesn't always mean that. All it means is that they don't want to announce anything or give a hint to anything right now. There were "no plans" for Nintendo to announce Switch revisions and a few days/weeks later there was the announcement.

People here take PR responses very literally. That Switch revision comment and Andrew Wilson's EA on Switch comment. If you ask direct question that you know that they'd never give a straight answer, you'll get a "no plans" answer.

If someone asked a Nintendo executive if there's gonna be a followup to Mario Odyssey or more Pokémon games after SwSh on Switch they would say "Currently there are no plans". Never take a PR answer seriously.