• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I think this should have been in the works before all this got going. It takes way too long to make big games to start this sort of thing along with the launch of the console.

Well, at least they addressing one of the biggest issues with the platform. They will need big exclusive content to sell Stadia despite some saying Stadia will sell itself...

great plan, start building first party studios just as your service is launching. that way you can have some exclusive content for your platform 3 or 4 or 5 years after it launches.
Yeah.....pretty much. The timing is off.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I agree, but we both know money talks and it just depends on how much money Alphabet wants to throw out. I'm surprised by the catalog they've announced so far (non-exclusives).
here's how i look at it. they've had one big stage show to reveal the platform, and since then had two stadia connects. this is their list of exclusive games (all of them will most likely be timed):

- get packed
- gylt
- orcs must die 3

don't you think if they had some big-deal 3rd party exclusive game, they would have talked about it by now, when the platform is this close to launch? all they've had in their stadia connects are games people have already played, or games like doom or cyberpunk that people have seen in other events and were already excited about anyway. can you imagine sony/MS/nintendo securing some huge exclusive for a new platform they're launching, and not even showing it off with a CGI trailer, or even just a logo?
the fact that this close to launch that's all the exclusives they've come up with, tells me they don't really have anything major. other exclusives will most likely be games of that scale (not saying those are bad games, just not real selling points). they literally have nothing major to generate excitement for their platform, content-wise.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Games people already have and no new AAA titles of your own is...quite bold.

It is and it probably won't do very well, but we should keep in mind this is a soft launch. I imagine when they properly launch sometime next year, that the library will be stronger. The thing people should be concerned about is Google pulling an EGS where they go on a huge spending spree and start buying timed exclusivity for games to fill out their library.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I'm excited to try this stuff, but I can't help but feel this approach seems like what MS was going for when they made Xbox One and announced all that "powered by the cloud" stuff. I wonder how different things would have turned out if they stuck to their guns.

On the plus side, if they're planning for games three and four years out I guess they won't be killing it off any time soon.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully they'll release on other platforms or at least offer a download offer for stadia on pc, just so us with terrible internet can play them.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Jade please go somewhere like Sony or Microsoft and create games that will come to fruition, you made great games and have been stuck bouncing around since Ubisoft into companies that keep being failures at what they do.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd really have got that stuff sorted 2-3 years ago. By the time their content is up to snuff, PsNow and xCloud will have beefed up and will have a ton of exclusive content.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
....Fuck me. You've got NO games? You're working on them now? Are you fucking kidding me? *hysterical laughter*

I really tried to give this thing a chance but I think that's it for me. This is the kind of incompetence I can't cosign.
Well beta alone back on PC last year and it was better than PS NOW when playing games, shit felt so good and I had shit internet

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too many people are looking at this through the lens of a "physical hardware launch" I think they're gonna be wrong on this in the long term.

The important thing for a service like this is to get up and running first, no one gave a shit about day 1 Netflix streaming either, it's something that builds momentum over time.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm cool with Stadia, if it has the games ill gladly jump in. But at the moment it does nothing for me, as a gamer that wants the full fat home experience, I'm perfectly happy to continue on consoles. The licence ownership doesn't sit well with me either.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also, for those keeping count - this is the third hot mess console launch in a row Phil Harrison will be a part of.

PS3
Xbox One
Stadia

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stadia is not a console. And I doubt Phil had that much sway on the PS3 being $599.99.

At the the time he oversaw worldwide studios - the killzone debacle, the motorstorm mess etc. He was knee deep in Sony's problems then. Oh, that awful statement about rumble.

Maybe console is the wrong word - platform then. The guy sure is attracted to these dodgy platforms.

Wherever he's landed for the last now three gens haven't been good for him. He's a PR nightmare too.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
here's how i look at it. they've had one big stage show to reveal the platform, and since then had two stadia connects. this is their list of exclusive games (all of them will most likely be timed):

- get packed
- gylt
- orcs must die 3

don't you think if they had some big-deal 3rd party exclusive game, they would have talked about it by now, when the platform is this close to launch? all they've had in their stadia connects are games people have already played, or games like doom or cyberpunk that people have seen in other events and were already excited about anyway. can you imagine sony/MS/nintendo securing some huge exclusive for a new platform they're launching, and not even showing it off with a CGI trailer, or even just a logo?
the fact that this close to launch that's all the exclusives they've come up with, tells me they don't really have anything major. other exclusives will most likely be games of that scale (not saying those are bad games, just not real selling points). they literally have nothing major to generate excitement for their platform, content-wise.
What does any of this have to do with your original comment saying it be 3 or 4 or 5 years until we see some exclusive content?

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
People giving them the stick for not having exclusives lined for the launch of a free service.

Jesus, enthusiast forums.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People bashing the service for no exclusive games and still complain at EGS for paying for timed exclusives.

People want games and reasons to try it, well hopefully Google takes out the wallet and lets it rain.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the the time he oversaw worldwide studios - the killzone debacle, the motorstorm mess etc. He was knee deep in Sony's problems then. Oh, that awful statement about rumble.

Maybe console is the wrong word - platform then. The guy sure is attracted to these dodgy platforms.

Wherever he's landed for the last now three gens haven't been good for him. He's a PR nightmare too.

Streaming platforms are a whole different can of worms, I think people can't really fathom it right now because they have no frame of reference and keep falling back on comparing it to physical console hardware launches.

Stadia even if they don't have all the pieces this fall ... they're absolutely 100% right to launch this fall. Get the service up and running and see what's working, what's not, how it performs for people with decent internet, you can adapt as you go on and have a more mature service by the time PS5/XB2 launch a year out from now.

Netflix day 1 streaming sucked. They evolved as time went on.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Should've started those studios a few years ago. Probably won't be seeing a AAA Stadia exclusive in the near future.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
We all know the big budget exclusives are going to be a ways off but Raymond does say there will be "new exclusive, exciting content. There will be some coming out every year, and more and more each year." Seems to me it's just going to take a year or two to find its feet. At no point in this two years will it probably be a mega-success but the long-term goal of exclusives only possible on that hardware could very interesting if played right.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the 3 year timeframe you gave is pretty far away.
it's very hard for a platform to have a meh launch and then recover after 3 years once the big games arrive. most people's perception of the thing is already made up. if it doesn't have a lot of exciting things going on for it in the first few years, people will just stop caring (and already before launch most people have stopped caring).

i really can't think of any platform that blew up 2 or 3 years after it launched, specially if it's their first product in a market and they have no pre-existing legacy or customer base.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
People giving them the stick for not having exclusives lined for the launch of a free service.

Jesus, enthusiast forums.

Well the free service doesn't start until next year, and since I have to buy the games to play on it (that if Google closed Stadia I won't have any way of playing) I'd expect something beyond 'play on some devices, maybe with a wireless controller' in terms on content

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
it's very hard for a platform to have a meh launch and then recover after 3 years once the big games arrive. most people's perception of the thing is already made up. if it doesn't have a lot of exciting things going on for it in the first few years, people would just stop caring (and already before launch most people have stopped caring).
I don't think thats true at all anymore.....we've seen lots of things go from mediocre to success with time and dedication, especially when it comes to video games. I mean streaming games as a whole has already left a bad taste in people's mouths, doesn't mean that can't change.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Well the free service doesn't start until next year, and since I have to buy the games to play on it (that if Google closed Stadia I won't have any way of playing) I'd expect something beyond 'play on some devices, maybe with a wireless controller' in terms on content

Yes, you have to buy games to play on it, what a weird thing to ask.

Yes, if google closed stadia you wont be able to access your content much like any other digital provider. And please oh please do not quote me killedbygoogle and its inifinite array of services made over a weekend with the same amount of investment as audience.

People equating this to the launch of a console with a strong start price I can't understand.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think thats true at all anymore.....we've seen lots of things go from mediocre to success with time and dedication, especially when it comes to video games. I mean streaming games as a whole has already left a bad taste in people's mouths, doesn't mean that can't change.

I wonder how many people remember how terrible the Play Store/Android Market was at launch...

It's too bad Google canceled it before it could grow big enough to bring in billions of dollars of revenue a year.

Oh wait.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we'll see, i guess. personally i can't think of any game platform that had a not-so-good launch and then managed to recover later in a big way. the examples i can think of like PS3 or xbox one that had mediocre launches, were already from companies who were very invested in video games, had huge fanbases, already had many exclusive (1st and 3rd party) games in their launch year and had many studios working on games before and after the launch.
for a company to make their debut in an already crowded market, specially a company that i don't think is that invested and will pull the plug if it's not successful initially, i think making a great first impression is vital.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The important thing for a service like this is to get up and running first, no one gave a shit about day 1 Netflix streaming either, it's something that builds momentum over time.
when netflix launched, what was the competition like? we're not far off from sony and MS both having their streaming services on the market (sony is already there and plans to grow their service). content wise, will google ever be able to compete with what those two companies can offer?
you shouldn't look at how netflix launched, but how disney+, apple tv+ and HBO max are launching, and how much they're investing into exclusive content to offer at launch.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
when netflix launched, what was the competition like? we're not far off from sony and MS both having their streaming services on the market (sony is already there and plans to grow their service). content wise, will google ever be able to compete with what those two companies can offer?
you shouldn't look at how netflix launched, but how disney+, apple tv+ and HBO max are launching, and how much they're investing into exclusive content to offer at launch.
not a good comparison either imo, there's 100s of different video streaming services compared to like 5(?) game streaming services. One is mature while the other has barely been born.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I remember a time when everyone in the gaming industry knew that software sells hardware. Seems like this ancient knowledge somehow got lost in time.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Free? You have to pay a subscription to use Stadia until whenever they change it next year.
it's not even the subscription fee. you have to buy the games too like you would on any other non-subscription game platform. if it was a subscription service where you paid a flat monthly fee to play all the games available, i think people would be more into it and not really scared of the service going down since you never really bought anything you played anyway.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This largely should have started at least 2+ years ago so they already would have had some games ready for launch and the following year. Now instead all we'll get is multi-platform and moneyhatted games.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Normally you should start making first party games before your "console" launches, but you do you Google.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember a time when everyone in the gaming industry knew that software sells hardware. Seems like this ancient knowledge somehow got lost in time.
Nah, Sony and Nintendo always knew and still know. Microsoft suffered some temporary amnesia and is starting to remember. Google is just clueless lol.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Dunno, maybe they're gonna try to compete aggresively with price, but I think it would be better if they combine buying and creating studios.

pcigre

Aug 19, 2019
Wanted to make this as a topic, but don't have the privilege yet.

Why do people cheer for artificial exclusives? By artificial I'm thinking of games that could without problem or crazy additional cost run on other platforms. why would you cheer for something like that? Are you in general happy when you have something that others don't? Where the hell is this world going? Would't you like that developers are free to publish everywhere, make a ton of money from that and just make more, even better games?

When it comes to Stadia, at this moment they don't need exclusives. Let's be honest, this is paid beta test and it will be like that for quite a while. It's just the way Google works. Until all major features are released at least 2 years would pass.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Courtesy of GI.Biz article here: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-making-a-spectrum-of-bets-on-stadia-content

When we'll see games, etc:

Integrating Google technology into games, etc:

A lot more in the article.

The Google Duplex example sounds awesome. The exclusive games that make sense for Stadia, are the ones that cannot be done on a local console alone. I'm sure that by the time the next Xbox and PS5 launch, we will have seen examples of the types of games that can only be made with the power of a server behind it. In the meantime Stadia can grow with just the fact that you don't have to buy a console and will be able to offer better versions of 3rd party games, than the ones that are possible on the current consoles. People need to understand how revolutionary it will be to have non scripted/intelligent conversations with NPCs.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care whether stadia succeeds or fails but if they actually start acquiring studios for this precarious venture so help me god...

Hopefully they'll just contract exclusives so they don't leave an even bigger crater in the industry if this thing tanks..

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Taking the ole Xbox approach in creating studios just now for games that won't even be fully ready for a half a decade. So there's essentially no reason to own Stafia in and of itself with all the risks attached? No thanks!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think this should have been in the works before all this got going. It takes way too long to make big games to start this sort of thing along with the launch of the console.

Well, at least they addressing one of the biggest issues with the platform. They will need big exclusive content to sell Stadia despite some saying Stadia will sell itself...

Yeah.....pretty much. The timing is off.
How are they going to develop games based off stacked servers before the servers were even there