• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.gamesindustry.biz

EA agrees $1.2 billion acquisition of Codemasters

Electronic Arts has agreed a deal to acquire Codemasters for approximately $1.2 billion.The acquisition, which is expec…

Electronic Arts has agreed a deal to acquire Codemasters in a deal worth around $1.2 billion.

The acquisition, which is expected to complete in the first quarter of 2021, is based on a price of $7.98 per share for the UK publisher.

In explanation for the deal, Codemasters chairman Gerhard Florin said that both companies "have a shared ambition to lead the video game racing category."

"We feel this union would provide an exciting and prosperous future for Codemasters, allowing our teams to create, launch and service bigger and better games to an extremely passionate audience," Florin said in a statement.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson added: "Our industry is growing, the racing category is growing, and together we will be positioned to lead in a new era of racing entertainment."

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, shit. Let's guess how long they'll last - 5 years? 10? Until the next time arcade racers hit a slope? Until they are "forced" to handle NFS and it falls flat?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what - wasn't it Take-Two buying them? This is some top 10 anime betrayal type stuff.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Press release from EA

Electronic Arts Reaches Agreement for Recommended Acquisition of Codemasters Group Holdings PLC

Leader in Interactive Entertainment UK-Based Game Developer Publisher Set to Thrill Racing Fans Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced that it has reached an agreement with the Board of Codemasters for the recommended acquisition of Codemasters, the UK-based game developer and...

Their specific mentions of EA SPORTS and F1 franchise probably means they'll integrate Ultimate Team to F1 in one way or another, eventually...

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
5u8njdf4t5xz.jpg

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
One of the analytics guys crunched the numbers in the back and told the execs "Wait, why aren't we looking into code masters?"

I expect:

1) Annual F1 games with ultimate team
2) Bi annual Dirt Rally games
3) Bi annual NFS games

It'll take 3-5 yrs for a positive return on investment.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Give codemasters the NFS License so we can get a new prostreet or shift now.

shit, they are probably the best racing devs they have now actually......just give them the NFS license period.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I predict the OnRush / Dirt 5 studio can make a pretty decent NFS.

Just don't mess with Rally and F1 too much please...

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
EA is much better for consumers than 2K in terms of monetizing their games.

NBA 2K has much worse MTX than EA Sports games do.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if it ever came down to it, EA woul one of,if not the last independent third party developers. They are way too big to be bought up that easily

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
One of the analytics guys crunched the numbers in the back and told the execs "Wait, why aren't we looking into code masters?"

I expect:

1) Annual F1 games with ultimate team
2) Bi annual Dirt Rally games
3) Bi annual NFS games

It'll take 3-5 yrs for a positive return on investment.
I think you meant biennial.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Press release from EA

Electronic Arts Reaches Agreement for Recommended Acquisition of Codemasters Group Holdings PLC

Leader in Interactive Entertainment UK-Based Game Developer Publisher Set to Thrill Racing Fans Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced that it has reached an agreement with the Board of Codemasters for the recommended acquisition of Codemasters, the UK-based game developer and...

Their specific mentions of EA SPORTS and F1 franchise probably means they'll integrate Ultimate Team to F1 in one way or another, eventually...

why am i not fucking surprised.

EA doesn't just want some money.

They want ALL of it. Fuck sake.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
EA was running out of studios to kill, so they had to buy more. Please understand.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Take Two are so much worse with MTX, but I am worried about the studio's overall lifespan given EA's track record.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I know everyone is talking about Ultimate Team... but there only 20 drivers in F1, plus about 50 more in F2 and F3. A team only has 2 drivers. I think they'd struggle to make that mechanic work.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wasn't Take Two offering 700 million euros or something and EA last minute makes a huge splash? Seems Take Two doesn't have deeper pockets than EA. Don't know if it s a good or bad thing EA beat Take Two

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Ready for dirt in frosbite ?
Take two first, then ea, now we are going to see microsoft or tencent in this fight ?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Andrew Wilson said:
Our industry is growing, the racing category is growing, and together we will be positioned to lead in a new era of racing entertainment.
Industry consolidation and potential for a few more yearly franchise games in the stable, but there's huge potential growth for F1 esports, after the attention it got during lockdown this year I think it was that that caught the attention of a few suitors.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
That sucks! Sony has a good relationship with Codemaster bringing some of their games to PSNow, they just added F1 2020 (a game that is just a few months old) and I was excited to play Grid and Dirt 5 at some point but with EA that is never happening.

On the other hand, sounds like we might be getting proper Burnout and NFS again, after a decade of bad games.