• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What next gen features do you want most?

• Better graphics

Votes: 772 53.3%
  • Improved framerates

Votes: 972 67.1%
  • Shorter loading times

Votes: 944 65.2%
  • Backwards compatibility

Votes: 825 57.0%
  • Enhanced VR capabilities

Votes: 256 17.7%
  • Game streaming

Votes: 89 6.1%
  • Motion controls and/or handheld support

Votes: 119 8.2%

• Total voters

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
New generation means better graphics,not sure why anyone would really need to even consider that,it's just a given.
As a console only player loading times are for me by far the biggest issue lately....Metro Exodus and Days Gone being recent examples of painfully long waits.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Out of those categories I would rank my personal preference as below:

Better Graphics > Shorter Load Times > Disc Support > Backwards Compatibility

Physical media support is probably the big one where I deviate from general opinion.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Out of those choices, improved frame rate and shorter load times.

Don't care about the rest of those options, especially better graphics. Better graphics is a given every generation.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given that 'handheald mode' is so low, and Switch sales are so high, the main takeaway from this survey is that people don't really know what they want.
Which, to be fair, is how things have always been.

I think what it points to is that people want most of all is great games. All hardware features are just their to facilitate games. Which I imagine which would number one on every gamers list.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Enhanced VR Capabilities is my most wanted feature. I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done on PSVR2 or even the normal PSVR with the extra power the PS5 has to play with. VR is the only thing that feels like a genuine leap in gaming for me. Better graphics on a TV can only go so far with immersion, VR turns immersion up to 11.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Vr is just not going to be mainstream for a long time. I personally love it but i guess it's just not that important to most.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't need handheld support on anything else due to the Switch so didn't care. Loading times are the biggest issue for me really, seconded by framerates.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
It's a visual medium so graphics are no.1 undoubtedly for me. They directly contribute to the sense of immersion in the game world which is the prime reason I play games.
Looking forward to denser worlds, rich in detail and still vast in scale. More high poly 3D models, detailed textures will make the game wold feel organic.
Ray tracing will allow more dynamic objects so more movement and a sense of life in the world using physics and animation in conjunction.
Better fluids simulation, cloth physics and dense fog with huge number of particle effects will add further to that sense of immersion.
The next gen games reveal can't come soon enough!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Better graphics and shorter loading times are a given at this point so why even vote for that? Better framerates is something that's absolutely not guaranteed, so I'd definitely want that first and foremost. Backward compatibility is whatever to me, I won't sell my old consoles anyway. The rest of the options are negligible at best.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
How on Earth can 40%, nearly 50% if console only, deem 8k a thing to care about...

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm an oddball, I guess. I'm more looking forward to the possibilities with AI, given the beefier CPUs and the SSD. Also, that these systems will theoretically work much more like your newer average smartphone in speed at the UI level. Most things should just work and work quickly given what they are going for.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its not so much one single feature. I just want bigger and better games. I dont care if it looks better than what has come before, or if it takes longer loading or not. Make better games, basically and If that is helped by better CPU's then good but it's not about better graphics and such for me.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My guess is that most of those polled have never experienced VR, or formed their opinion from watching 'flat' youtube videos. Quite depressing seeing it at the bottom of the list really.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Once more people experience good VR I expect the interest to be there.

It will be nice to see console frame rates and load times improve.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
How on Earth can 40%, nearly 50% if console only, deem 8k a thing to care about...
The problem is that for a lot of people graphics = resolution..
For me graphics its better textures, better effects, more NPCs, More FOV , etc...
Consoles should aim the next resolution when ultra details and 60 FPS are obtain in one resolution, and this isn't even a reality on 1080P

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that for a lot of people graphics = resolution..
For me graphics its better textures, better effects, more NPCs, More FOV , etc...
Consoles should aim the next resolution when ultra details and 60 FPS are obtain in one resolution, and this isn't even a reality on 1080P
As I wrote before: we need to go outside the bobble. We are not the majority of gamers, even if we look console owners. We are just The most vocalic group.

Which is shocking that the most informed group think it's important; it just screams of 'oh a larger number that must be good!' to me. 8K isn't even in the same position we saw 4K sitting at around the time the current consoles launched where it was teetering on the edge of becoming mass market. Seems like such a weird answer for people to give but each to their own I guess 🤷‍♀️

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
My guess, consumers want their console to be future proof, so whenever they get an 8K TV they could watch 8K content on it, play games upscaled to the resolution etc.

In my head 8k just seems like something that is 10 years away from mainstream. I know a lot of people that are still on 1080p.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Backwards compatibility > 60fps locked > improved loading times > graphics. I'd take graphics staying the same all gen if the other 3 are achieved.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that 'handheald mode' is so low, and Switch sales are so high, the main takeaway from this survey is that people don't really know what they want.
Switch sales make up far less than 45% of the entire gaming market in Europe so your takeaway is weird.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

i think it's more likely that switch is it's own thing and no-one really wants or probably even expects a copycat handheld mode from the likes of MS or Sony. which makes sense.

personally i just want better graphics, shorter load times and better VR capabilities. i'm fine with 30fps...i'm not super bothered by BC as long as next gen introduces enough games early on...and game streaming is just a compromised way to game, so i don't want that either.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting Era results so far, comfort trumps raw graphics (which are also a form of comfort I know).

It may be the first time I'm in full agreement in how the poll numbers stack up.

Graphics ARE important, but loading times, framerate, and BC to some extent are EVEN MORE important.

👍

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
BS survey (and poll, sorry). A better catalog of games is all that matters, and it wasn't even an option.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Better controller as well as better graphics on the PS front and better graphics on the XB front.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I think what it points to is that people want most of all is great games. All hardware features are just their to facilitate games. Which I imagine which would number one on every gamers list.
No argument there, though I'd also say its a combination of great games and added convenience.
The Switch has a great library of games, and the option of a portable mode is an easy-sell obvious convenience that you may or may not use, but either way its nice to know its there if you need it.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with graphics being stuck in 2014 if it meant decently performing games, but I know it's not gonna happen. We're in for yet another eye candy 30fps slideshow gen.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Frame Rate stays winning 😏

Console gamers have unrealistic expectation for visuals but most of them can't even tell the difference.

Sure they can tell you how 4K looks better than 1440p but only IF you tell them which is which first.

If you start asking them if they want 16K on PS5 they will probably answer yes like a goddamn moron even though they knew nothing about it.

Last edited:

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I'd like to have a "Jump into the game"-option, that loads your last savegame within a few seconds and skips everything else.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me the order would be.
  1. Better graphics
  2. Better physics, AI, scope, scale
  3. Shorter loading times
  4. Improved framerates
  5. Disc support (trade, sell, lend, borrow games)
  6. Enhanced VR capabilities
  7. Backwards compatibility
  8. Non gaming apps
  9. Motion controls and/or handheld support
  10. Game streaming
  11. 8K support

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Better graphics I guess? I don't really know what I want from next gen as I think games are fine right now. I guess I'm more interested in the new types of games that can be made with the higher specs.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018

Marketing works.

For me as a member of #Team1080ForAwhile improved graphics aren't a huge deal for me. I'm playing RDR2 on a One S and a 8 year old 1080p TV that was middle tier when I bought it and I think it looks amazing still. I would like to see better physics, better AI, and just more lively open worlds - basically gameplay oriented improvements.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I doubt many people can even see the difference between 4K and 8K, tech YouTuber Linus didn't even notice his new 8K TV is outputing at 4K until he checked the settings.

(7:12)

If I changed your TV settings from 8K to 4K while you're using the bathroom you will most likely not notice any difference on your 65" QLED 8K TV

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I want shorter load times and the ability to hibernate a game in addition to standby mode.

Also higher frame rates.
So I want to to be able to set the output to 1080p and get variable refresh rate.
Rather than watching 4k.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Marketing works.

For me as a member of #Team1080ForAwhile improved graphics aren't a huge deal for me. I'm playing RDR2 on a One S and a 8 year old 1080p TV that was middle tier when I bought it and I think it looks amazing still. I would like to see better physics, better AI, and just more lively open worlds - basically gameplay oriented improvements.

You and me both. I saw the most recent Godfalls leaks and it was just more of the same stuff, give me destructive environments to sell the action that goes along with it.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Last edited:

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Less greed would be my choice. I'd stay at the current power level if it means less GAAS, loot boxes, season passes, etc. It's really a cancer for the industry.