• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
3zlC5vbU

Data from Ampere Analysis suggests that Xbox Series X|S has sold 2.8 million units since launching in November -- lagging a little behind the Xbox One during the same post-launch timeframe at 2.9 million units.

Meanwhile, PS5 has matched the performance of PS4, which shifted 4.2 million units in its first few months after launching in November 2013.

Last week, Sony's financials reported PS5 has sold 4.5 million units -- confirming it as the most successful PlayStation, and by extension the most successful home console, of all time.

However, Sony's figures usually represent sales to retail or shipments, while Ampere claims its data focuses on sell-through -- sales directly to consumers.

Ampere believes PS5 would likely have sold more than five million units thus far had availability been less of an issue.

The analysis firm also expects PS5 could sell between 7.6 million and 8 million consoles by the end of March 2021, which would put it ahead of PS4's 7.5 million sales in the same time frame.

Microsoft's performance is deemed to be more disappointing. Despite having the cheapest next-gen console in the Xbox Series S, and launching in more than three times as many markets as the Xbox One in Novembr 2013, the company still fell 100,000 units short of its previous performance.

Ampere adds that, while Microsoft is focusing on recurring revenue through Game Pass and general audience engagement across consoles, PC and even mobile, rather than primarily relying on traditional hardware sales, it believes Series X|S owners will remain A cornerstone of the Xbox business until at least 2025.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Ampere: PS5 and Xbox Series X|S sales in line with, not ahead of, previous gen

A new report suggests supply constraints have prevented the next-generation PlayStation and Xbox consoles from signific…

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Jesus if stock issues were not there I wonder what the cieling would have been for PS5

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Ampere believes PS5 would likely have sold more than five million units thus far had availability been less of an issue.

Eh. Sales definitely wouldn't be "in line" with previous gen if they managed to manufacture units without covid basically killing the supply chain

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They talk about PS5 selling more had supply not been an issue, but not MS? I mean, isn't this the case with *gestures at everything ever*

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Very impressive, given that they have nothing in hand, and sell before it's out the door.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Well, MS said XB1 was at 3M at the end of 2013, so maybe accounting for that 100K puts XBS closer to 2.9M

PS5 is to be expected seeing as it and PS4 both shipped the same amount and are sold out just the same.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That is sorta what it was looking like with the last month, compared to the launch month anyway.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting takeaways there. The production and stock issues are 100% hampering the potential performance of these systems, so this shouldn't be concerning. I'm sure if they were able to manufacture a couple million more units each these past few months then those would have sold out as well. The article acknowledges this as a big factor too, for anyone who doesn't bother read anything but the title.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The analysis firm also expects PS5 could sell between 7.6 million and 8 million consoles by the end of March 2021, which would put it ahead of PS4's 7.5 million sales in the same time frame.

PS4 sold 7.6M by March 2014, not 7.5M

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird statement to make. I assume MS is selling everything they are making and they cannot increase production.
I agree, Microsoft have been clear everything is selling but they are having supply issues. Great start for both consoles to sell every unit delivered to retail.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a weird statement to make. I assume MS is selling everything they are making and they cannot increase production.
Yeah, wish that was more specific - the lack of ability to produce more consoles may be seen as disappointing, sure but the actual sales tell us little at this moment in time than how many have shipped. Later in the year it will be clearer where demand and sales fall but as for right now it is impressive SIE are able to keep pace with PS4 despite the pandemic and production not keeping up. It is clear Xbox S|X mass production started later and hence lagging behind on stock.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I was thinking. I mean, PS5 would have still outsold it if both consoles were available to everyone but I'm sure the Xbox would have at least been equal to the Xone

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
What a pointless article. Demand is there. Average Joe can't get their hands on either console right now so of course sales are lower.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No accounting for production issues in the article? Both consoles are out of stock everywhere.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
There's no stock of anything, even in Europe which as we all know isn't Xbox land there's not Series X available, and when they are they fly off the shelves.

As far as I'm concerned, current consoles haven't launched. I have yet to see one in person or for sale.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox will always be seen with more scrutiny. Literally the only reason it isn't above XB1 is because of a delayed production, and it's only down by a little bit.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Both are selling everything they are making so both companies are happy with that

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I keep saying imagine if there was no pandemic.....

Microsoft's performance is deemed to be more disappointing. Despite having the cheapest next-gen console in the Xbox Series S, and launching in more than three times as many markets as the Xbox One in Novembr 2013, the company still fell 100,000 units short of its previous performance.

I agree. Context matters.

They started making them later than Sony...for whatever reason. But revealed specs first, price first. Once upon a time it seemed MS was waaay more ready than Sony for next gen.

Phil and Co. said they started later waiting for AMD tech that launched this year....while Sony, Cerny launched the PS4 Pro with AMD tech that didnt hit the market until the following year?

Something doesnt add up.

Syringe

Oct 28, 2017
" Meanwhile, PS5 has matched the performance of PS4, which shifted 4.2 million units in its first few months after launching in November 2013."

But Sony confirmed 4,5 million units until December 31. By this data, there should be 300K units sitting on shelves and nothing sold at all in January? Not entirely convinced by these calculations.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah the context is Xbox production was delayed.

They practically sold the same amount with a delayed production. On time, it would have passed XB1. Neither console maker can get the necessary production to surpass last gen.

" Meanwhile, PS5 has matched the performance of PS4, which shifted 4.2 million units in its first few months after launching in November 2013."

But Sony confirmed 4,5 million units until December 31. By this data, there should be 300K units sitting on shelves and nothing sold at all in January? Not entirely convinced by these calculations.
The comparison is launch year, so 2013 for PS4 and 2020 for PS5

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Some interesting takeaways there. The production and stock issues are 100% hampering the potential performance of these systems, so this shouldn't be concerning. I'm sure if they were able to manufacture a couple million more units each these past few months then those would have sold out as well. The article acknowledges this as a big factor too, for anyone who doesn't bother read anything but the title.
Stop right there! You are asking too much here

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Both are selling everything they are making so both companies are happy with that

I cannot imagine they're actually -happy- about that. At the very least if they knew supply was going to be this awful they both could have just charged $599 for the console. PS5 street price being double what they were charging means they just left a lot of money on the table.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Sony started full production a while before Microsoft.
It wouldn't matter anyway, because the chip is larger so the yields would've tracked behind regardless. Though the S's chip might've balanced things a bit, but then you also get into allocation and prioritizing SKUs, etcetera etecetera...

All in all, it's actually impressive they managed producing this much considering how much COVID impacted things.
Sadly things will take a while to improve. But at least with consoles when stock at retailers come in, they'll sell them for MSRP (or if they're scummy they'll bundle them), PC parts on the other hand are in a crazy state. Finding a GPU has been impossible. 3070s priced the same as 3090s...

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They started making them later than Sony...for whatever reason. But revealed specs first, price first. Once upon a time it seemed MS was waaay more ready than Sony for next gen.

Phil and Co. said they started later waiting for AMD tech....while Sony, Cerny launched the PS4 Pro with AMD tech that didnt hit the market until the following year?

Something doesnt add up.
Xbox waited untl they had RDNA 2 tech for the series X/S available.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the context is Xbox production was delayed.

They practically sold the same amount with a delayed production. On time, it would have passed XB1. Neither console maker can get the necessary production to surpass last gen.

The comparison is launch year, so 2013 for PS4 and 2020 for PS5
Yeah, I added more context on my opinion about to the delay.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there were more consoles available to make a better comparison with previous gen.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
This is a dumb article. The only thing disappointing about the launch numbers is that they can not make them fast enough. Both consoles are completely sold out and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was my thought as well. But this would also indicate that Sony has managed to manufacture 1.4 million more units more than Microsoft which seems like a large gap?

Sony started earlier since Microsoft was waiting for tech to finalize for longer. My assumption is that PS5 is also projected to sell more units in its initial months than the Xbox is, so they probably have a higher rate of production, on top of the early start date.