• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
i ussualy get then when theyre cheap, i'm more concerned on the games i want comming to pc, not the store they're in
Why do you think epic games will be cheap? They said they don't want to do deep discounts and if they're the only store for the game then I guess you would care about what store the game is on right?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Oh boy, I was so happy that Anno would be out soon but exclusive to the EGS? Yeah no, I will wait a year for it then 😔
FWIW, it's not at all exclusive to EGS.
It's on Uplay.

Ubisoft is seizing this opportunity to move people to their own client while Epic takes the brunt of the fallout. I doubt they give a shit about EGS.
It's quite smart really.

What's the meaning of adding an "our take" to an article like that, if you're not going to put in any effort into it? If this is good for me, as they say, I really want to know how and why, more a generic and not explained "a little competition is always good".

A fragmented friend list is a very small part of the issues with being forced to use the client if you still want the game being made exclusive.
By pointing to less substantial complaints like "multiple friend lists" they (as in, Epic in their marketing, and by extension any outlet that regurgitates their points) try to steer the conversation away from actually meaningful arguments.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear all that Valve has to do is invest in a PR department. These articles with no critical thought applied to them are getting so numerous. It's really quite embarrassing for real game journalists to get lumped in with these people.

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
Why do you think epic games will be cheap? They said they don't want to do deep discounts and if they're the only store for the game then I guess you would care about what store the game is on right?
i read here on era an article saying that games on egs will be cheapier in the near future, but i'm not loyal to then , i'm loyal to my pocket , and i get it where its cheapier, but my initial point of view as just that , i don't see egs like a bad company, i see it as one more option, and i really enjoy that, if the game is exclusive in there , ok i don't care about stores i just buy the agme

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Has Epic done any sale at all?
They went on record saying they don't believe in sales (can't recall if it was the SteamSpy guy they employ or Tim Sweeney himself).

They also don't seem to believe in cloud saves. This on top of a store that make it seem like it was a great development to add a goddamn search bar and which has now a six month long plan to add a cart system.

Epic can keep throwing all the money they want around. At some point, neither the Fortnite funds nor the investment from the Chinese government will be able to keep it around considering they aren't making any actual money from the store (low sales along with low percentage cut). They keep thinking making big investments with the likes of Ubisoft to remove games from Steam is the way to go, instead of getting a better experience for users (either in cheaper prices or store/platform features).

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Times like these makes me realize how much i miss Totaltotalbiscuit. While he had quite some controversy surrounding him he always championed the costumer before publisher.

On a second thought its maybe not the best idea to post this since i don't want to derail the thread.

Last edited:

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I'm not going to allege Game Informer were paid off.

I am going to say this is a shit opinion and it smacks of the same bizarre, unjustifiably supportive pro-Epic baloney we've been fed for months now. It's an absolute load and I'm sick of it.

A narrative is being perpetuated and it is a narrative detrimental to the health of the PC marketplace.

This is yet another pro-Epic article, of the many that have been written in these last few weeks, that desperately wants to convince gamers about the benefits of Epic's policies. This article, like all others that have been written on the same subject and, weirdly enough, follow the exact same line, fails in the same way as all the rest:

The author has no argument.

This is not an exaggeration. The opinion expressed in the article, just like every other pro-Epic article before, is devoid of a single argument on why supporting Epic's moneyhats is good for customers. Every such article regurgitates the same claims: Valve is slacking (which is false), competition is needed (extremely vague and never explained), the benefits will some day and somehow reach customers (extremely vague and trickle-down horseshit). There is no argument here. Nothing to point to and say "this is why you should support this". Just platitudes, cliches and the misrepresentation of the opposing viewpoint. I worked as a games journalist for many years and this sort of poor reporting is in my opinion a telling example of why many people don't respect the profession.

Great post and well said.

This is really nice. It makes the 30% cut seem more worth it and understandable.

The entire "30% vs 12%" is a lie in the first place.

- Epic pushes processing fees onto users
- Epic pushes advertising costs onto developers
- Epic is strictly controlling digital keys, to prevent 3rd party websites undercutting their storefront prices
- Their backend and user services are almost non-existent

Which is why they are charging 12%. It's not because they care about developers. It's because they want to break the market. I guarantee once they capture any sizable portion of the market and as costs begin to rise they will increase that margin, one way or another.

Just one more small point:
In a recent talk they literally stated they want to control digital distribution and pricing. Epic only partnered with humble bundle to provide key selling in the face of overwhelming criticism by users. However that move was obviously meant to curtail that criticism, not to provide competition for key selling.

Humble is the ONLY store they're letting sell keys. Free Steam key generation is only one part of the equation. The pressure to cut pricing is the other. When you have multiple key selling sites, it lowers prices.

In my humble opinion, that's not what Epic wants and this is yet another example that reveals their intentions, intentions that are not benign.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
i read here on era an article saying that games on egs will be cheapier in the near future, but i'm not loyal to then , i'm loyal to my pocket , and i get it where its cheapier, but my initial point of view as just that , i don't see egs like a bad company, i see it as one more option, and i really enjoy that, if the game is exclusive in there , ok i don't care about stores i just buy the agme

Caring about the bottom line price is understandable. Which is why people are against what EGS is doing. When EGS is the only way to buy the game it's not just one more option, it's the only option. In addition to them not wanting to do deep discounts and with no other competing storefronts your price of games will go up. Therefore I would think you should care

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Something like this should be pretty easy to understand. To games media it's not, for some reason. Despite it having been blatantly and loudly repeated for a month.
If Sony were to suddenly raise the price of their games to $70, that would be huge news. Here, nothing. I've not seen it mentioned literally anywhere. Instead Epic is good for us because reasons, and Valve is actually the one in the wrong because reasons.

I would say that games media is failing embarrassingly and miserably at their job by completely disregarding the consumer perspective, but I suppose their job is not to write for us.

Tim Sweeney does say that Epic will support more digital stores. He says a lot of things. Who knows how true this will be when/if it happens.
Or if it will even matter. Publishers opting to distribute to third party stores would have to lower their 88% share back to 70%. Why would they do that?
Epic getting publishers more money at the cost of their customers is basically what this is all about.
And games media is cheering them on. A bizarre and gross spectacle.

Times like these makes me realize how much i miss Totaltotalbiscuit. While he had quite some controversy surrounding him he always championed the costumer before publisher.
Except for when he didn't, like when he shat on #NoPS4DRM, an actual consumer movement. To him Gamergate had more validity.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
The entire "30% vs 12%" is a lie in the first place.

- Epic pushes processing fees onto users
- Epic pushes advertising costs onto developers
- Epic is strictly controlling digital keys, to prevent 3rd party websites undercutting their storefront prices
- Their backend and user services are almost non-existent

Which is why they are charging 12%. It's not because they care about developers. It's because they want to break the market. I guarantee once they capture any sizable portion of the market and as costs begin to rise they will increase that margin, one way or another.

Just one more small point:
In a recent talk they literally stated they want to control digital distribution and pricing. Epic only partnered with humble bundle to provide key selling in the face of overwhelming criticism by users. However that move was obviously meant to curtail that criticism, not to provide competition for key selling.

Humble is the ONLY store they're letting sell keys. Free Steam key generation is only one part of the equation. The pressure to cut pricing is the other. When you have multiple key selling sites, it lowers prices.

In my humble opinion, that's not what Epic wants and this is yet another example that reveals their intentions, intentions that are not so exciting as a consumer.
Thanks, I have a better understanding now. This is really horrible.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud saves are literally on the roadmap for the storefront. There's a thousand legitimate criticisms against the store, but bullshit like "they don't believe in cloud saves" is stupid.

The fact that cloud saves are "on the roadmap" is laughable.
It's also pretty telling how they dont believe in features for a service.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
k I've been asking for sourcing on the first bit for a while, cough it up

Excuse me?

Ok, I googled it for you:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/about

Which payment methods are supported?
The Epic Games store supports credit cards, Paypal, and a variety of alternative payment methods. Approximately 80% of store transactions use credit cards and Paypal. The other 20% comprise alternative payment methods, primarily in countries where credit cards aren't widely available. Some of these alternate payment methods carry payment processing fees, which Epic charges directly to the purchaser, and are not included in revenue-sharing calculations. This is a list of the alternative payment methods we currently support. Methods carrying additional payment processing fees are marked with an *asterisk.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Excuse me?

Ok, I googled it for you:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/about

Which payment methods are supported?
The Epic Games store supports credit cards, Paypal, and a variety of alternative payment methods. Approximately 80% of store transactions use credit cards and Paypal. The other 20% comprise alternative payment methods, primarily in countries where credit cards aren't widely available. Some of these alternate payment methods carry payment processing fees, which Epic charges directly to the purchaser, and are not included in revenue-sharing calculations. This is a list of the alternative payment methods we currently support. Methods carrying additional payment processing fees are marked with an *asterisk.

k list out the extra fees for me plox

If you're feeling froggy go get sourcing for the other two things you said too

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
...Wait, WHAT!?

THESE shills berate Nintendo for this but will side with Epic!?

PCera found a 2017 tweet from Galyonkin where he berates inExile for not having Cloud saves because those are easy to implement. Galyonkin deleted the tweet on the same day after PCera linked to it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
7db30f289df2acc09fe1851ba8ebfd97.gif

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I just want to know what "better competition" means here. By all accounts Epic snatching up exclusives means less deals and less places to buy the games. Steam allows anyone to sell keys, which means other storefronts are fighting for your dollar, which means better sales across the board and better deals on new games. Fuck the Epic Store. All these pro-Epic articles do jack all to explain why its actually a good thing. Just the typical nebulous "competition" and shit.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know what "better competition" means here. By all accounts Epic snatching up exclusives means less deals and less places to buy the games. Steam allows anyone to sell keys, which means other storefronts are fighting for your dollar, which means better sales across the board and better deals on new games. Fuck the Epic Store. All these pro-Epic articles do jack all to explain why its actually a good thing. Just the typical nebulous "competition" and shit.
Better competition means to get rid of that fictitious 'Steam Monopoly' or letting devs get a better cut or that Valves stops being so lazy.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It is exceptionally questionable that many media outlets consistently avoid factual evidence and gamer sentiment in favor of judgments that favor Epic's store...

I doubt it's a cash payment, but it may be social politics. It's not like Valve is very responsive to the media (or anyone).

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Competition should be competition to please us, the consumers. Forcing us to install two game launchers isn't competing, it's just angering most of us.

Oct 30, 2017
Competition is providing a compelling experience to entice users over. Competition isn't "HERES AN ASSLOAD OF MONEY TO REMOVE YOUR ALREADY ANNOUNCED PRODUCT FROM THE PLACE YOU SAID WOULD SELL IT." That's just being a dick

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
k list out the extra fees for me plox

If you're feeling froggy go get sourcing for the other two things you said too

It has been a thing from the beginning. If the processing method cut is higher than what they want to pay, they pass the extra to the customer.

It has also been posted several times in PCEra, where you normally post, with Madjoki (a EU player) having proof of it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know all of that already

How about those other two points tho

I mean, you were asking for source on the first point... which is what I gave!

About his second point which is marketing, I assume he is talking about how they are pretty focused on not really providing too many discoverability tools (but rather just make some lists like in the App-Store) and the main discoverability tool will be using influencers, whose cut will be from the developers in like... 7 months (1 year since the launch of the store).

About the third point, they clearly said they would not allow exclusives to be sold in other stores, and only backtracked after pressure and only with "selected" retailers (which probably means it is more of a Nintendo situation in Humble Store than a Steam situation).

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Competition is good in the marketplace, but what Epic seems to have done is purchase it as opposed to building a strong platform to directly compete with Steam. Valve still has work to do on their frontend, but Epic paying out for exclusivity on a vastly inferior platform doesn't breed competition, just animosity from consumers. True competition in this space would be if games were available on both platforms and the platforms themselves had similar features.

We aren't there yet and I wouldn't call what Epic is doing competition whatsoever. It's more siloing of content than anything else.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know all of that already

How about those other two points tho

For the two other points, it's been said that they dont aim to work on discoverability tools at all and instead rely on influencers, who gets a cut for that.

For the last point, it's all about the wording. They made a "deal" with Humble Bundle to sell EGS keys. Which means the way they see it, Epic have to approve the 3rd party sellers.