• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
User Banned (1 Week): Modwhining and Ignoring Staff Post
Official Staff Communication
Please keep this conversation civil and tasteful. Nakamura herself is fine with the fanarts and enjoys them. This does not give you license to belittle other members expressing their concerns about sexism or the fetishization of Asian women, whether in the industry or in general. Please avoid mocking or sarcastic drive-by posts to this effect.

Moving forwards, any users that continue this behaviour may be subject to moderation. Thank you.
maybe make another fucking thread to discuss sexism and fetishization of Asian women instead of derailing the entire thread about fan arts that aren't even remotely sexual

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the sheer amount of people obnoxiously spouting "ew, people are gonna get creepy and sexualize her" pisses me off more than anything. Could you just...shut up, please? No one's done that. No one's bringing attention to that. No one wants to see that or even think of that. You're putting that shit into people's heads. All of this fanart has been wholesome, fun shit. Why do you have to try to ruin that? If creepy weird shit pops up, then yeah, shame that shit, ban them, report them. But you're the only ones bringing that up. It's like seeing a retail store clerk and telling people "hey, nobody better think about this person sexually". People are trying to show appreciation of a charismatic female director. Stop inventing an issue that hasn't arisen and trying to make everyone uncomfortable. You're being gross.
No kidding. Gamers like a female dev, how is this a bad thing.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
She must be incredibly, incredibly good at her job. In most corporate cultures, but especially Japanese corporate culture, you do not undermine the boss in public like this unless you've got some fucking clout. What other games has she worked on? This week is the first time I've ever heard of her.

Okami, Bayonetta, Evil Within basically

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
She was a fun and wholesome break from the regular 30-45 year old white dude wearing a sports coat over a t-shirt while reading from a script type that does 95% of the presentations.

But the internet sure as shit will find a way to ruin this/her.

PeitH1m.jpg

am i doing it right

Yes, yes you are, very much so.

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Honestly, the sheer amount of people obnoxiously spouting "ew, people are gonna get creepy and sexualize her" pisses me off more than anything. Could you just...shut up, please? No one's done that. No one's bringing attention to that. No one wants to see that or even think of that. You're putting that shit into people's heads. All of this fanart has been wholesome, fun shit. Why do you have to try to ruin that? If creepy weird shit pops up, then yeah, shame that shit, ban them, report them. But you're the only ones bringing that up. It's like seeing a retail store clerk and telling people "hey, nobody better think about this person sexually". People are trying to show appreciation of a charismatic female director. Stop inventing an issue that hasn't arisen and trying to make everyone uncomfortable. You're being gross.
This. Most people are being cool about it and have nothing but good intentions.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
maybe make another fucking thread to discuss sexism and fetishization of Asian women instead of derailing the entire thread about fan arts that aren't even remotely sexual
I think the discussion can absolutely happen in this thread, but it very clearly got off to a terrible start. The first several pages of the thread are littered with shit posts and hot takes intended to make people feel bad, so it's only natural that the response to anyone trying to talk about these issues was then very poor. Part of the problem is that the discussion was immediately framed in a way that didn't reflect reality, and is made worse by people making false equivalences, or not being aware of who she is, and what her presentation was like.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
ResetEra overreacting and making ridiculous assumptions yet again!

This

The number of men happy to talk on her behalf in this thread is hilarious, more so when she seems so to enjoy the fan art

There is a conversation to be had on how Asian women are treated in gaming/anime circles, but this doesn't seem like a hugely problematic episode

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This is the only time I've wished for a like button pretty much anywhere

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was fun, peppy, and whimsical, though the "cute" thing can feel demeaning to some women, especially when it comes to Asian fetishism. When it crosses over into "I want to protect her" it's absolutely giga-gross.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Her enthusiasm was simply infectious. It felt like a breath of fresh air after all the dead-eyed execs intoning from a prompt. Her ethnicity or gender did not influence my decision to like her, I was just connecting with her energy.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
She was fun, the fan art was fun, and her game looked awesome. Seems almost exclusively positive.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys something creepy could/will be made of this so lets not enjoy the positive vibes at all.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): ignoring staff post
Twitter: Here's some wholesome fan art of someone with a cheerful, infectious personality that we really liked!

Ikumi Nakamura: Awww, thanks everyone. These are my treasures!

Resetera: This is an emblematic display of the disgusting fetishization of Asian women in modern society by internet randos that can only be described as extremely creepy™.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
If Todd Howard was hamming it up on stage, I'm sure there would be fanart of that as well.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
She was charmingly positive, and it looks like she inspired some artists who wanted to capture that. I'm glad this thread has calmed down and become a little less cynical...

If respect is present, there is nothing wrong with seeing someone as 'cute'. It's when that person is objectified and not seen as an adult individual that it becomes a problem. Perversion is making somebody into something they are not.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This. Most people are being cool about it and have nothing but good intentions.
This is the only time I've wished for a like button pretty much anywhere
Bossking You make some fair points, but you take it too far. Don't call people "gross". People are not bringing up the fetishism aspect out of thin air. It's precisely because it happens all the time that people bring up their concerns.

Please review the staff post. Thank you.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nakamura was the best part of that terrible Bethesda conference with her outgoing personality and charisma, so of course people will be like that, much like the Yarn guy and David from Ubi. People love when developers are human like that and if a person is doing cute things like she did, of course she's going to do it. Anyway, I'm glad she was there because I didn't know about her work before and now I'm aware of it.

As for the content of this thread, jesus, I have to agree with the ones saying that what happened here was an exaggeration when the fanart are completely harmless.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how many of the fan art artists she's retweeting appear to be women, it's kind of sad how everyone jumps to "ugh creepy dudes have to fetishize everything" and not "wow, look at what an inspiration she is to other women."

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I feel like some people are really looking at this in a bubble, as most are want to do when it comes to social/gender issues.

Her getting fanart and this kind of attention is whatever but how many articles talking about the game's announcement even mention her?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I wonder how the people looking for drama here function in society

would you like me to link you to academic articles about "kawaii" culture in Japan, the NYT article about calling Asian women "cute/adorable", or interviews from Japanese women that feel pressured to be "cute" at all times?

like i think this is pretty innocent so far, and i echo the sentiments that she was endearing and a positive note for an otherwise bland and stupid conference, but please understand that there is a precedent for this stuff.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She's credited for "Conceptual Design", not sure what that means exactly.
She designed most of the lore and environmental elements of the game, basically most of everything that didn't involve characters or the angels/demons. In the Bayonetta art book, you can find a lot of her comments pertaining to many of the game's accessories, things like Bayonetta's wings, in-universe set pieces, monuments and structures, but predominantly the many locations in the game.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not when you are presenting your work? That's just disrespectful
It's one thing if you're sexualizing someone in a professional setting. This was an E3 conference for the random public, and she was acting extremely 'unprofessional' by normal standards to begin with, she isn't cute like oh how sexy cute, she was adorable because of how she was acting. Outraging over this ain't it.

Oct 25, 2017
She designed most of the lore and environmental elements of the game, basically most of everything that didn't involve characters or the angels/demons. In the Bayonetta art book, you can find a lot of her comments pertaining to many of the game's accessories, things like Bayonetta's wings, set pieces and structures, but predominantly the many locations in the game.
That's really cool! Thank you for the information. Was only really familiar with her work on The Evil Within.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
would you like me to link you to academic articles about "kawaii" culture in Japan, the NYT article about calling Asian women "cute/adorable", or interviews from Japanese women that feel pressured to be "cute" at all times?

like i think this is pretty innocent so far, and i echo the sentiments that she was endearing and a positive note for an otherwise bland and stupid conference, but please understand that there is a precedent for this stuff.
I've linked those several times and they were all ignored because they actually provided context to why some people take issue with the reaction to this dev, we just can't have that and need to constantly talk about how cute this dev is. /s

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've linked those several times and they were all ignored because they actually provided context to why some people take issue with the reaction to this dev, we just can't have that and need to constantly talk about how cute this dev is. /s

Out of curiosity, how should we describe her ? Moderately charming and spontaneously appealing ?

1) Lots of women call her cute and adorable

2) People are actually interested in her work now that they have found out more about what she has done, and are excited to see her with full creative control

3) She is happy herself with how the reaction to her and the game has been

Like, take issues all you want, I see nothing negative that has come out of this.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (5 days): ignoring staff post, personal attack
This

The number of men happy to talk on her behalf in this thread is hilarious, more so when she seems so to enjoy the fan art

There is a conversation to be had on how Asian women are treated in gaming/anime circles, but this doesn't seem like a hugely problematic episode
Gotta love "male feminists" like Eden who speak for women, these dudes are creeps lol.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and Ignoring staff post.
It's a really problematic issue yea. For another example, you can equate it to African Americans being told that they're "well spoken" or more uncomfortably, when someone asks if they can feel a black person's hair. The infantilization of asian women is a very common thing. And this thread is a pretty clear example.
In my country, it's super offensive to be offended on behalf of others. I don't get how you're setting your gears to this speed and cruising at this altitude, but hey, I don't understand the West that well, must be a First World thing to grab command of social concern like this, quite the privilege.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I thought this was a gaming fanart thread since yesterday until I clicked on it. I guess I should watch the Bethesda stream already

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere because no one likes Phil Spencer THAT much. I could easily toss you fan art of all of Nintendo's male leaders if you like. They are all far more charismatic.

I find him very cute.The internet should get on that.

In my country, it's super offensive to be offended on behalf of others. I don't get how you're setting your gears to this speed and cruising at this altitude, but hey, I don't understand the West that well, must be a First World thing to grab command of social concern like this, quite the privilege.
You aren't thinking about other people that don't find this okay though. It is definitely not just "a first world thing", it is a basic implementation of logic and human empathy.