• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Avatar Shaming
She seems to be enjoying it from the looks of it and it's great that she is.

Nevertheless, there is still an underlying issue that exists with this in regards to fetishization. Luckily it's not too excessive in this particular case, but there are already examples. It's important to acknowledge that while all of this is in good fun for the most part, it's also important to acknowledge the potential issue at hand. It's especially important not to immediately shoot down that point.

It doesn't come as a surprise how often the weeb avatars on these forums do the latter, and can only be telling of their beliefs on the subject in a larger context. Already seen plenty of them show themselves in previous threads when the subject is brought up.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I know Era likes to treat borderline EVERYTHING as a mutually exclusive concept what with how often every objectification thread has at least one not very bright and/or disingenuous person bringing up video game violence. But her enjoying a lot of the (non creepy) fanart and this being yet another example of asian fetishism in the gaming community aren't mutually exclusive concepts. 👍

Why is the non-creepy art an example of fetishism? Is there creepy art that isn't being posted?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The reaction to her reminds me of the weird reaction to Marie Kondo

People treating Asian women like objects and verbs, rather than successful businesspeople and bestselling authors? Yeah.

I think the conversation is too nuanced to have on a forum during peak traffic time, but it's an issue our society will have to grapple with if we want more women in boardrooms.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
See the pictures are wholesome and it's great that she likes them.

But the internet has jaded me. I just hope this ain't all she gets known for. Or more specifically I hope her being cute ain't all people talk about her.

Hopefully the game is good...women getting chances to be a great part of representation in an overly male dominated industry is only a good thing. And if the game is awesome, that's just infinitely more cred to her name.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm very pleased to see a woman in a lead role in Japanese development.

I know this isn't some unprecedented thing (Animal Crossing, a number of games by that lady in SEGA who's name I can't recall), but this time it's front and center.

YES. More of this plssssss 👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
People calling her cute when she was clearly there telling us about Bloodborne 2 while making contact
vlc-record-2019-06-09-20h37m44s-fd___0-_00_01_37_32_Still003.jpg

Nothing cute about eldritch horror
Fuck that got me

Sep 3, 2018
It's uncomfortable being portrayed as a horndog who doesn't respect her because I thought she was cute.
I don't think anyone in here said that about you, but you've been running around calling people joyless chuds just for going "This is weird" and as a woman, it's pretty shitty seeing people shoot down a discussion about this before it can even start.

Don't get me wrong, I thought she was fun and the fan art she's retweeting is harmless, but this doesn't happen in a vaccum and it doesn't ruin anyone's fun to discuss it.

I think the conversation is too nuanced to have on a forum during peak traffic time, but it's an issue our society will have to grapple with if we want more women in boardrooms.
I don't think we can have that conversation here at any time.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
As long as she's having fun with it, then I think it's fine. She came out with genuine emotion and excitement about her game which we always call for more of at E3 and the like so I don't see any issues with this. When/If it starts getting real creepy and she starts to address that, then it's a problem.

Also, Nakamura san doesnt take shit from anybody:

This is great. Love seeing dev relationships like this.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Even when the fanart comes from asian artists? I feel like there always has to be a problem with everything even when the rest of the internet only celebrates this as positive moment.
I mean this is the same foru where several members openly responded with hostility to videos of people who had depression and found solace in video games because it was from bethesda so I don't think the "celebrate this as a positive moment" holds up very well.

People treating Asian women like objects and verbs, rather than successful business people and bestselling authors? Yeah.

I mean I don't think even a place as progressive as Era is even remotely ready to have this conversation as several members perpetuate the issue and only treat women as a monolith when they agree with them while ignoring things like articles or even your posts about others going through the same thing. Which is why someone says something along the lines of "well my wife loves being called cute." Yea my SO doesn't enjoy being called cute. Some african americans don't mind being called well spoken. That doesn't mean that an issue doesn't exist.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
People just like and admire enthusiastic devs. Nakamura is getting the same response devs like Josef Fares and Davide Soliani got previous years.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Hopefully the game is good...women getting chances to be a great part of representation in an overly male dominated industry is only a good thing. And if the game is awesome, that's just infinitely more cred to her name.

The art will certainly be fantastic and she has a lot of the same team as well.

Also, Nakamura san doesnt take shit from anybody:

Low key calling out the entire games premise there.

Don't be afraid to admire beauty unless it's the only thing that matters to you

What?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved her enthusiasm. She's easily the best presenter to come on stage on any live stream so far.

I ended up finding it... kind of endearing, because it felt like we were really looking at someone very anxious but very excited and passionate, and not someone regurgitating marketing drivel. (edit: Reminds me of the Mario x Rabbids game's director from the expo a couple years ago, that guy got a lot of love too.)

Her presentation had a lot of personality, too. Ironically I think people are calling her adorable and stuff because she actually had a personality and style while presenting.

As for the fan art, I've seen people do fan art of people they don't personally know, like (including male) streamers. Since she's retweeting them, no harm no foul (until a weeb inevitably makes it weird).

That said it's perfectly valid to be uncomfortable with stuff like this too lol

People calling her cute when she was clearly there telling us about Bloodborne 2 while making contact
vlc-record-2019-06-09-20h37m44s-fd___0-_00_01_37_32_Still003.jpg

Nothing cute about eldritch horror
Losing my shit

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
She started yelling YAAAAAY before she even walked on stage. She said a bunch of silly things and did a bunch of silly poses. If they're acting in a cute way, I think it's reasonable to assume they want to be considered cute. Of course some people are going to take it too far though.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
These are adorable, but it sounds like the more pervy stuff is going to be very problematic and that stuff I really can't condone or justify.

Is there any Tak Fuji fan art?

No but I'm pretty sure Ono has some fan art out there of him dressed up as Chun-li. Ono is the cutest man not named Keanu Reaves and I say that as a straight dude.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
I brought it up because it's a pretty blatant example? Even if it's well intentioned.

Oh I don't consider her projects to be GOATs, that wasn't the point I was making.
No, the article you posted has much more to do with workplace professionalism and the problem asians deal with with regards to it. Out of that context it's a much harder ball game to play, because there's no one size fits all case and this is a case where I feel the shoe really doesn't fit because she blows up much more because of her enthusiasm and charisma than she just did because people just found her 'cute'. There are some posts like that here and there but taking that as the overwhelming reason just feels like a disservice to her.

Well I get the point you were making now but that's a complete theoretical, devs that stand out due to certain qualities and make great games are a rare combination anyway.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Well, I'm glad she's liking the attention

She reminded me of Tak Fuji at Konami in 2010, trying to be funny and very spontaneous. It's great to have presenters being genuine like that.
Exactly. That was my main take away really. I wish we could have more peeps like her on stage, just expressing their joy.

I guess adult women can't be cute and we should save that kind of language for 700 year old dragons that look ten years old.
Thanks for letting me laugh like an idiot.

Danton

May 31, 2019
While yes, that kind of shit can easily turn into something problematic and fetishistic, and very likely already is for some, I'd say that the reaction towards her is no different than how people treated Yarn Guy, or the crying MvR Ubisoft dev.

Someone really endearing and passionate about their project, so much so that they express it physically, are celebrated for their infectious enthusiasm and likability.

Gamers are creepy fucks in general, but I don't think this is a notable display of said creep factor.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
See, that's what I mean! It's Hideki Kamiya 2

It's therefore also part of this cycle that once she gets fed up with all the westerners that keep admiring her she starts to block them and write things like "SHUT UP AND USE YOUR BRAIN, INSECT!"

Going by this thread I don't think the internet is ready for a Tsundere game dev.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Also I know Era likes to treat borderline EVERYTHING as a mutually exclusive concept what with how often every objectification thread has at least one not very bright and/or disingenuous person bringing up video game violence. But her enjoying a lot of the (non creepy) fanart and this being yet another example of asian fetishism in the gaming community aren't mutually exclusive concepts. 👍

A woman who appears to be respected for her work in a professional capacity and is in a lead role at a Japanese studio being celebrated by a wider audience for her personality and her subsequent enjoyment of that celebration I cannot personally see as a problem. In fact I would call it the opposite of a problem. We should not be attempting to shut that down by attaching it to an issue of otherwise unsolicited and unwanted fetishism of Asian women. Or other issues of workplace harassment or people being belittled though infantilization.

I understand some see it as perpetuating or otherwise normalizing certain types of behavior but this is a specific scenario involving a specific person not a larger slippery slope. She clearly is enjoying it and any part of that is both directed at her and she is enjoying should not be an issue. That's my 2 cents.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
She had a charming stage presence, was enthusiastic about the game she's making and was happy to be there. I don't think it's a bad thing that she's gained fans.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I'll definitely be there day one, that trailer was AMAZING. And I'm usually not a huge fan of CGI trailers.

Super hyped to finally see her in a directorial role. A lot of folks were confused when Johanas became director instead of her, but as someone who LOVED The Evil WIthin 2, her debut being a brand new IP will be for the best, I think. Tango always did amazing visual design in their game, I can only imagine how cool a game directed by their lead artist can look.

I hope we get a bunch of interviews this week to get a feel for the game.

And that means Johanas could direct Evil Within 3 starring Kidman and Oda, right?

RIGHT?!

But seriously, I loved Evil WIthin 2

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
She spoke in public (really hard), not using her first language (really hard), and she completely sold it and got over with the crowd (really hard).

Mad respect, I hope the temporary bump in public image does wonders for her career. The industry could use a female director whose name is recognized and who is asked to premier games on stage more than once, and she's in a prime position to do just that.