• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I came in to this thread expecting to see people celebrating someone who was fun and endearing on stage last night and instead I was shamed for thinking someone was fun and endearing on stage last night.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Yeah why are they making fanart of her , and not the other jeans with t shirt, overweight white male presenters
At least Davide Soliani has been called cute
DCJYZZuWsAAeAZT.jpg

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I feel being Japanese is getting closer to attaining white privilege. Where is Aisha Tyler fan art? There is almost a cult like obsession with anything Japanese.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Miyamoto deification is about his talent and genius.

Men are genius, women are cute. How can I be the only one who sees the issue with this?
Lol lots of people like him because his "loveable old guy" look and one of the reasons why Reggie was memed because of his appareance which for lots of white people was "funny", Reggie is not even a dev and was just a genious of bullshitting answers

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
So people can't call her cute or adorable despite her acting all twee energetic and enthusiastic for her product? Like, she has a bright bubbly personality, we're not fucking robots.

HELLO HUMAN FEMALE /0999923442122
YOU ARE ....
COMPETENT AT BUSINESS PRESENTATIONS
GOOD DAY
INTERACTION HAS CEASED

I am always suspicious of people who project in these situations and police this stuff.

If there is nothing immediately malicious about the situation and the woman in question is kind of embracing the fact that there are people who liked her presentation, energy, vibe, or even thought she was cute. Then what is the issue? Are they messaging her directly with very very inappropriate shit? Are they posting inappropriate art of her (some will obviously do this)? Like, aside from what you are deciding to think or assume yourself, who is actually causing trouble here?

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
So I suppose those articles I linked to don't count or something.

All treated like memes and game design gods instead of "kawaii." I wonder what the difference is. 👀
can't being treated like memes also be considered demeaning though.

Also yeah, because they have put out games, it's a really bad false equivalence to compare someone directing a game for the first time, we can only wait and see what she puts outs for any status like that, no?

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not about whether or not she's "cute." It's about taking her seriously as a director. Saying stuff like "that girl is cute" after she unveiled her project is so disrespectful.
If you want people to take you seriously maybe don't keep doing poses like you part of the Ginyu Force.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All treated like memes and game design gods instead of "kawaii." I wonder what the difference is. 👀

If you don't think Miyamoto and Iwata were regularly praised for their fun on-stage presence and have loads of tribute/fan art pieces then I have a bridge to sell you. And no, calling them "memes" isn't some out. Nakamura's poses are already fucking memes by that definition.

RaiOh

Nov 12, 2017
Always funny to see people acting like if we don't care about her game/work when it was clearly fucking awesome.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm very pleased to see a woman in a lead role in Japanese development.

I know this isn't some unprecedented thing (Animal Crossing, a number of games by that lady in SEGA who's name I can't recall), but this time it's front and center.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I feel being Japanese is getting closer to attaining white privilege. Where is Aisha Tyler fan art? There is almost a cult like obsession with anything Japanese.
uhhhhhhh no? People just saw her performance as really cute and genuine is all and wanted to draw some fan art, I don't know why this is hard for some people to grasp.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
can't being treated like memes also be considered demeaning though.
A different form of demeaning yea but not in the same way.

Also yeah, because they have put out games, it's a really bad false equivalence to compare someone directing a game for the first time, we can only wait and see what she puts outs for any status like that, no?
Somehow I doubt she'll ever get that status even if she creates a GOAT game. I mean, just look at how the community has treated and referred to Jade Raymond after all the large IPs she's worked on. A lot of discussion always goes back to her appearance.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
People keep calling other people perverts for drawing people
Da Vinci and the Mona Lisa are disgusting filth

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
A different form of demeaning yea but not in the same way.

Somehow I doubt she'll ever get that status even if she creates a GOAT game. I mean, just look at how the community has treated and referred to Jade Raymond after all the large IPs she's worked on. A lot of discussion always goes back to her appearance.
I've never seen anyone treating ass creed as a goat game except you though

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
She seemed to be nervous on stage, she said she would try her best to speak in English etc. and ended up being perfectly clear, she added a lot of enthusiasm and personality in to it. She seems to be happy to have some recognition for being up there. I can't say my first instinct to watching a PR press conference is ever to draw the presenters, but people show their appreciation in different ways I suppose. I smiled at the suggestion in this thread of people drawing jeans and t-shirt wearing white-male presenter fan-art... I'm not gonna lie, I'd peruse that shit hard. It does feel easy to draw the conclusion that this a symptom of a male-dominated audience, but actually I don't know anything about the people who drew these. I'm sure a lot of non-male fans were endeared to her too.

The 'cute' obsessing would maybe be more troubling if she hadn't overshadowed an industry vet like Mikami as a result -- hopefully the game is cool, hopefully people are now excited about it, and hopefully she goes on to have an elevated profile for her work as much as anything else. The concept looks amazing... like a neo-tokyo Rapture..

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Miyamoto deification is about his talent and genius.

Men are genius, women are cute. How can I be the only one who sees the issue with this?

Yeah, she is a genius for directing a game we have yet to see gameplay off!

If Miyamoto's first appearence was something like this:
7984.gif

You can be SURE it would be talked about in the same way this is. No one would call him a genius, it would just be the strange likeable man swinging a sword and shield on stage.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Avatar shaming
Yikes, is there a gaming forum where anime avatar creeps don't post that I could join.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if we could restart this thread w/o all the "YIKES" and "this is creepy" posts.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Something is very wrong with this forum when you cant even admire a person cheerfull personality without coming out as creepy.

Shes loving it, thats all it matters.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If Miyazaki could pull off her moves, poses and charisma, then I am sure you would find people talking about that too.

Also, you keep acting as if only ever one thing can be true in our reality. Like you can only be talented, or pretty, or cute, or professional.
But that's not what people are and how the world works. Her being on stage, you can't see how hardworking or talented she is. But what you can see is how she is charismatic, energetic, motivated and cute. Once again, none of these things undermine her being a professional, hardworking person. But those things are not apparent to people just watching this audio/visual presentation. All they got are her appearance, mannerisms and her words.

You keep acting like people calling out what they saw as positive traits is "reductionist" but at the same time also try to be reductionist because you believe those things can/should not be mentioned.

I'm done responding to this. I just pray that you never call a female director cute in the real world. Keep it on the internet.