• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
So, sorry if I'm behind and this is probably a dumb question to ask of a Capcom title on Switch, but is this a digital-only title? Or is it actually a full retail release? Do we know?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Wow the website did a lot to get me excited for this game. Really looking forward to it now. I loved the SNES Ghouls and Ghosts.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
It's not the art style to me, it's the animation. The art looks fantastic, but everything moves like it's fucking Daniel Tiger and I can't stand that shit.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I'm closely on the opposite end. It looks great and the art style justifies the animation better than most 2D games so far.
I can certainly see that perspective. When I watch the trailer, I don't really dislike the animation until it gets to that big zombie flailing around after Arthur, which makes me think of the cheap animation in Plants vs Zombies. I honestly think it's something I'll get over and won't even notice at a certain point, but I do understand why a lot of the initial reaction is that it looks weird and off.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Are they using 3D models or 2D art for Arthur and the enemies?
I can't quite tell, they look odd.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Doesn't look bad in motion. Also looks like they will have Ghosts 'N Goblins and Ghouls 'N Ghosts levels that you can choose between? I don't speak Japanese so I have no idea what was happening. One run looks like you started at Haunted Graveyard and the other was Torture Hill.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Liked the look when it was announced, and this just makes me like it more.

Also, dito on the call for a physical release.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
For physical folks, don't lose heart. Lots of physical focused publishers these days like Limited Run Games. So I'm sure something will be announced.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The animation style is definitely growing on me, too. More importantly, the gameplay looks very tight and solid, taking the best elements from Ghouls and Super Ghouls.

I liked the detail that, at least in some difficulties, you die in three hits now, and the middle state between armored and naked sometimes has the helmet and arms, and sometimes the chest piece.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
For physical folks, don't lose heart. Lots of physical focused publishers these days like Limited Run Games. So I'm sure something will be announced.
I wouldn't put any hope in anyone other than Capcom releasing a physical copy. IIRC, LRG has approached Capcom before, and they weren't interested.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
This is looking so good! I'll be there day 1. GnG is not my favorite Capcom franchise but I definitely want to support them making more small-scale games.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Don't love the visual style; a neat-looking 5-10 second fade-in doesn't change how I regard it in moment-to-moment gameplay. But whatever, it is what it is. I just hope the game is 60fps, unlike this latest YT video.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I hear people that had adverse reactions to the initial reveal and the apparent stiltedness of the animations, but just check out the Red Arremer in this latest clip:

LOOOve the animationes here. Clearly a lot of care and intentionality.

The running animation is still weird. It moves too slow for how energetic he looks while moving.
Pretty sure it's keyed to the classic sprite and animations:

Doesn't mean they couldn't have done something new of course, but the obvious intention here is to recreate the retro experience.

Last edited:

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I hear people that had adverse reactions to the initial reveal and the apparent stiltedness of the animations, but just check out the Red Arremer in this latest clip:

LOOOve the animationes here. Clearly a lot of care and intentionality.

Pretty sure it's keyed to the classic sprite and animations:

Doesn't mean they couldn't have done something new of course, but the obvious intention here is to recreate the retro experience.

I think the difference is the original animation was a simple 2 frame pixel art.

Here they're taking static art and rotating it really quickly to make it move and it looks weird, almost like a cheap Flash animation game.

The art itself in this game is really good, I love how it sorta evokes the old arcade cabinet or the box art, but I'm still not a big fan of the way they've chosen to animate it. I'd rather choppy 2 frame animation (where the limb is actually redrawn in the new position) than the rotation they're using.

Also he should have a red beard like in Ultimate!

Still looking forward to the game, though.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Gameplay from Capcom TV
I love it!
1:17:00

Ok, that's fucking amazing, I changed my mind on the game after watching that. The gameplay feels super snappy and fast, looks very challenging and fun. The art style is also growing on me now. You can see in the zoomed in section with the fire gargoyle how it all has a nice acrylic painting style to it. Maybe I would've liked if they had made it a bit more pronounced but it's ok. Also loving the dynamic backgrounds and new enemy animations.

Day one