• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
I'm honestly too scared to eventually play this game even on Squire, though I've beaten my fair share of hard games (Resonance of Fate, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro). I hate how Page difficulty doesn't get to experience all the content. Probably locked out of the real ending

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the IndieWire review either. Directly comparing games has always been something I prefer to avoid.
It's cheap criticism and a massive slippery slope.

i can get it when it is a direct inspiration/influence or comparing stuff within the same body of work but otherwise you're right. comparing gng to ori is like comparing The Last of Us II to Bayonetta 2.

I'm honestly too scared to eventually play this game even on Squire, though I've beaten my fair share of hard games (Resonance of Fate, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro). I hate how Page difficulty doesn't get to experience all the content. Probably locked out of the real ending

i think if you eventually got through Sekiro, you can make it through a GnG game.

Oct 31, 2017
i can get it when it is a direct inspiration/influence or comparing stuff within the same body of work but otherwise you're right. comparing gng to ori is like comparing The Last of Us II to Bayonetta 2.

i think if you eventually got through Sekiro, you can make it through a GnG game.
Lol fair enough

I WILL say that I've beaten Maximo Ghosts to Glory like 4 times but I'm guessing that it's way easier than GnG

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Watched some more of the game in reviews and the art style is growing on me. The only thing I would like is for it to be a bit more saturated in color, rather than the sort of muted look it has

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I've never had the patience for Dark Souls et al, but I've beaten Ghouls N Ghosts and Ultimate Ghost n Goblins. I'd say it's a much smaller investment to get through a GnG game. They aren't easier per se, but they aren't nearly as long. They're shorter gauntlets.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That easy mode is looking really good to me. My patience and reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I'm surprised there's no double jump given how central it was to Super Ghouls N Ghosts.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reviews need to be objective. Period. You can bring up in the review that the game may not be for everyone, but you can't give a game a 4/10 when it's not a bad game, and by all accounts from people I do trust, that this is in fact a fantastic game, worthy of the series.

it was a garbage review.

There is no such thing as an objective review. Getting angry because a reviewer didn't like a game you haven't even played as much as you hope to do is really dumb.

If you find this reviewer's perspective poorly thought out, then move on to reviewers you trust more or you feel are coming to the game from a better mindset. Asking for an "objective" review - especially when what you actually mean is you want reviewers to have the exact same fucking opinion as you - is beyond silly.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
That easy mode is looking really good to me. My patience and reflexes aren't what they used to be.

If my old hands can do it (just turned 50), you can do it :-)

And mind you this was on Knight difficulty which IMO feels on par with Ghouls arcade on default settings.

That being said, if you're remotely familiar with side scroll action games but haven't played or beat past GnG games, I recommend Squire difficulty (second from the bottom).

If you're an experienced GnG player who can consistently beat Super GnG or Ghouls, I recommend starting with Knight difficulty.

Starting with Legend difficulty is also okay in my books for highly experienced GnG players, but be prepared to die a lot. And I mean a lot. In my case, I decided to scale back and complete Knight difficulty first before tackling Legend.

Page difficulty, the absolute easiest difficulty of all, is practically a cheat mode since you have infinite lives, can withstand 4 hits before you die, less enemies on screen, and you respawn right on the spot even during boss battles. It's good for folks who aren't good with action games in general and wants to just get through levels quickly.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Lmao. Wish objective game reviews was still up
ghosts 'n goblins resurrection is a video game being released for the nintendo switch

in ghosts 'n goblins resurrection you play a character that can jump and use various weapons

ghosts 'n goblins resurrection features an art style and some music

there are enemies in ghosts 'n goblins resurrection, and they will attempt to hurt (the character)

ghosts 'n goblins resurrection is 29.99 usd, and is releasing on 2/25/2021

7.8/10

Last edited:

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
ghosts 'n goblins resurrection is a video game being released for the nintendo switch

in ghosts 'n goblins resurrection you play a character that can jump, double jump, and use various weapons

ghosts 'n goblins resurrection features an art style and some music

there are enemies in ghosts 'n goblins resurrection, and they will attempt to hurt (the character)

ghosts 'n goblins resurrection is 29.99 usd, and is releasing on 2/25/2021

7.8/10
This is a spot on take. Thanks!!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think IndieWire actually "Gets' Ghost 'N Goblins or Ghouls "N Ghost style of platforming. Comparing to the likes of Celeste or Ori which both also two completely different styles of platformers.

Hell at that point you might as well compare Mario with Castlevania or Mega Man. See how the context doesn't work.

Ori is a Metroidvania with no stage based progression, might as well throw Hollow Knight in the mix which is how off a comparison this is to GnG.

Celeste's platform specific challenges of hazards and no combat with similarities along the lines of Super Meat Boy, neither of these games are the same in the GnG formula either.

It doesn't make sense to sweep the entire platforming genre under such a brush or generalize in the review in this fashion.

This is akin to doing the same with the racing genre and ignoring the obvious differences between Mario Kart and Gran Turismo which focus on two completely different things despite looking at them in such basic superficial level of them being "Racing Games"

It's a terrible review.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like fun. I've never been able to tough out any of these games to the end but I do enjoy them. Probably could squeak my way through this one on Squire or Page. ;)

Oct 31, 2017
Ok one of the reviews said "even the Maximo games were stupidly hard"

no they weren't LMAOOOOO

especially Army of Zin

In fact Army of Zin is the only game I've ever 100%'d in my life.... and like 4 times, on Hard, at that.

I'm so confused

And a lot of the negative reviews literally are just them complaining about the difficulty

Karakato

Oct 29, 2017
The animation style grew on me overtime and having played the 1st 2 games from Capcom arcade stadium got me interested in trying this out. I'll probably wait for a sale though. Its good to see this game get positive marks ar least considering how punishing gng is as a series.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Figured it out. I DO love the art, but I hate the animation
Yep. I just can't get down with that 100% tweened/skeletal 2D animation. If it wasn't for that I'd have picked up this game for sure, but I just really don't like that look.

Otherwise the actual hand-drawn 2D assets are pretty good, for the most part.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok one of the reviews said "even the Maximo games were stupidly hard"

no they weren't LMAOOOOO
Im so out of touch with the average reviewer (or average player) when it comes to difficulty, but I agree. I always felt that most of the 80s era games were over rated difficulty wise (Turtles, Contra, GnG... but more than any - Mega Man because that series isn't even hard to begin with) so basically when any review says "game is hard" I just assume now that the difficulty is perfectly manageable for me.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Digital Foundry review up. Surprise DF Retro mixed in which is always great!

- Locked 1080p docked and 720p handheld
- RE Engine
- Mostly 60fps with certain parts that briefly tank the framerate, but stable otherwise

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The way the level design mixes clear callbacks and even direct pieces lifted from past levels with new gimmicks reminds me of how Sonic Mania handled it's level remixes from past games and I'm 100% okay with that.

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
So conflicted on this: would buy it instantly if there was a physical release, but the fact it's digital only plus the idea of playing GNG with those awful Switch joycons are making me reluctant and telling me to just wait for other ports to appear.
Goddamn, Capcom, release this game on a cartridge already!

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
This somehow flew right over my head, and it looks...fantastic? Even the negative reviews are making me think I'd love it, because they all essentially say "well yeah, they nailed GnG."

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Huh. I'm surprised there's no double jump given how central it was to Super Ghouls N Ghosts.

I just read where there's no double-jump and that's disappointing. It's not a deal-killer or anything but I prefer the "feeling" of the double-jump in Super GnG for platforming. And before somebody says something I love regular GnG too and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Really the only game in this series I don't like that much is Ultimate on PSP. I just think it's kind of ugly and feels really cramped. Still a good game but it just felt/looked off to me.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
This is probably one of the few games in where I read reviews and I can be fully on board with criticisms levied as well as the praises given from others. All the reviews seem to line up and its 100% down to liking or disliking the gameplay. You either like this type of game, or you dont. Little or nothing about technical issues to be found anywhere other than a framerate skip here or there. Only thing I'd be worried about is that people read the overall score and go no further than that. Even the reviews that rated the game poorly have something to say as all reviews are subjective in the end.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hated the art style at first but it's honestly growing on me.

Like it reminds me of those 2D shooter sections in Shadows of the Damned. Kinda charming in that regard.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid I'd never be able to get past the Jib Jab aesthetic and actually enjoy this game.

Oct 25, 2017
My son saw a video of this and wants it but I know it's going to be too hard . Has anyone said if there's a difficulty setting or infinite lives/checkpoints etc?

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
that's a legitimate opinion not less than any other imo
You know going into this game that it's going to be hard though, this isn't throwing any punches. I get he is on a time constraint with a review and might have been under the gun to finish the game so the struggling probably hurt but that's why I hate the scoring system for reviews, that 4/10 drags the metascore down which some people look at for purchasing.

I imagine for people who take their time and balance the game by not rushing to beat it by a certain time, there will be less stress.

Oct 31, 2017
i literally only hated the art style when I first watched the trailer

when I rewatched it I began really liking it

It's charming and looks nice and will age well, although NGL I obviously wish this had a bigger budget!

I hope it sells well so that I can get my Maximo 3 :'( or a Maximo spiritual successor

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'm mad at Capcom for fucking me up with the awful performance of Stadium Arcade (and even more at myself for not waiting for impressions from knowledgeable people) but I won't be able to resist Day 1-ing this bad boy.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Still playing my copy for review, but generally I've found it much much harder than Super GnG. The enemy spam is really intense in this one, the SNES game doesn't get nearly as busy. It's been a while, but I also think the enemies are way faster? You can't outrun most of them anyway in Resurrection. I started on Legend, but found that too frustrating. Did manage to beat it on Knight, but it took a ton of retries.

Game is fun, but honestly it could have done with less spam and also less 'gotcha' moments where it just likes to kill the player.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mad at Capcom for fucking me up with the awful performance of Stadium Arcade (and even more at myself for not waiting for impressions from knowledgeable people) but I won't be able to resist Day 1-ing this bad boy.
Basically the exact same situation I'm in. I've barely touched the Arcade compendium because of its current performance but at the same time there's no way I'm not playing this day 1.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Still playing my copy for review, but generally I've found it much much harder than Super GnG. The enemy spam is really intense in this one, the SNES game doesn't get nearly as busy. It's been a while, but I also think the enemies are way faster? You can't outrun most of them anyway in Resurrection. I started on Legend, but found that too frustrating. Did manage to beat it on Knight, but it took a ton of retries.

Game is fun, but honestly it could have done with less spam and also less 'gotcha' moments where it just likes to kill the player.

Depends on the Difficulty you play at in S GnG as they are faster the higher the difficulty level, and if the game had too many enemies on screen you would see massive slowdown giving you time to think too