• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I was going to try holding out for physical but ironically Johnny Millenium's review has me more eager to get my hands on it immediately just to see how my opinion compares to his, haha.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Pretty scathing review from Johnny HCG, insisting that the gameplay felt 'underwater' at times. Dude, did you ever play Super GnG lol. Jokes aside, I wonder what role the Switch hardware plays in the response times. I love the system to death but it's hardly the tightest console for arcade performance, I could barely play Makaimura on it the other day

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty scathing review from Johnny HCG, insisting that the gameplay felt 'underwater' at times. Dude, did you never play Super GnG lol. Jokes aside, I wonder what role the Switch hardware plays in the response times. I love the system to death but it's hardly the tightest console for arcade performance, I could barely play Makaimura on it the other day
Plenty of good arcade ports on the Switch. The Capcom Arcade Cabinet is a whole other can of worms. And Nintendo own stuff is mega responsive and much more taxing than decades olds arcade ports.

It doesn't sound there is lag--Johnny is the only one complaining about it.

It's the added animation frames. This is where Johnny's deep experience with the original games can hurt his assessment. This is a slightly more animated experience.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I've quoted both of these to try and illustrate a point. People buying the game have different tastes too. There are going to be diehard fans that would agree with Johnny. A review they can read to give them a heads up on how they'll feel about the game absolutely has value.

Same for the Gamespot review. There'll be people that enjoyed the old games *at the time* that won't enjoy them now for various reasons. If someone knows they have similar tastes to that reviewer, that review has value to them. Some games aren't for everyone, this is such a game. If reviews all come from people that have tastes that align with this game, you're going to mislead a lot of people into a purchase they'll regret.
Reviews need to be objective. Period. You can bring up in the review that the game may not be for everyone, but you can't give a game a 4/10 when it's not a bad game, and by all accounts from people I do trust, that this is in fact a fantastic game, worthy of the series.

it was a garbage review.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Dark1x has given it his approval and is calling it the 2nd best game in the series. That's all I need.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Reviews need to be objective. Period. You can bring up in the review that the game may not be for everyone, but you can't give a game a 4/10 when it's not a bad game, and by all accounts from people I do trust, that this is in fact a fantastic game, worthy of the series.

it was a garbage review.

can you give me an example of an "objective" review that doesn't suck ass

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

it was a garbage review.
Well then we disagree. If you want objective reviews, stick to reading those ones. I don't see why we need countless reviews all taking the same approach and I find little value in 'objective' reviews personally. Doesn't bother me that people write them though.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews should be subjective. At the same time, the reviewer should probably have at least a passing interest in the thing they're reviewing.

That being said, GameSpot's 4/10 is whatever. It doesn't bother me.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Reviews should be subjective. At the same time, the reviewer should probably have at least a passing interest in the thing they're reviewing.

That being said, GameSpot's 4/10 is whatever. It doesn't bother me.

My thoughts exactly. If someone that liked the series reviewed it, it is easy to include the caveat that "this game is very hard and may not be for everyone" lol

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Damn I didn't think it was releasing so soon, still looks fantastic and good to see it reviewing pretty well.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting reviews to be objective is...a take.

Find a reviewer/friend/group that has similar tastes and get their opinions on games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
One of my all time favorite franchises, this looks great!
I'll pick it up when it lands on PC. Maybe a double dip on Switch.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
See my post above. He has a bunch of tweets about it.

And just as I suspected, Joe from Game Sack, who hasn't even played the game yet, thinks it looks "laggy" and hates the art style. There is a subset of GnG fans who hated this game from the start.
Yep lol. I like Joe, but his tastes and mine do not mesh a lot. These purists are pretty intense with this game. I don't get it. Looks great to me, but to each their own.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
4/10 reviews are important. You see it, you read it, and either say, yep, that's me, this game is not something I'm interested in; or, nope, that's not me, I love this type of shit.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

it was a garbage review.

What a bad take.

There is no such thing as an objective review. Everyone's interpretation of something entertaining is by nature subjective.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
So you want a reviewer that hates a certain franchise review a game in said franchise? I dont understand.

a reviewer can have a taste in games, but you need to review a game on its own merits, not your personal tastes. That's what journalism is.

reviews and criticism are not necessarily journalism.

they're a facet of it, but outside of news, how do you expect objectivity?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I can barely get past the first level of the SNES game but it's still my favorite game to boot up periodically in the Switch's SNES app. These games just have vibes. At least with this new one they have adjustable difficulty, co-op, skill trees, branching paths, etc, to make it more approachable.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I promised myself I would never play another GnG game again... but who am I trying to fool -
I will buy it and I will hate every second.

Did anyone ever beat the first game with any other weapon than the knife?
IF so - step in to the light and I will praise you forever.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I promised myself I would never play another GnG game again... but who am I trying to fool -
I will buy it and I will hate every second.

Did anyone ever beat the first game with any other weapon than the knife?
IF so - step in to the light and I will praise you forever.

The cross/shield. It cancels enemy projectiles.

here is my screenshot from the other night lol

EuuOyxOXEAAFLEl

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely picking this up. Reading the reviews and just sort of ignoring the score, it sounds like what I was hoping it'd be.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
So you want a reviewer that hates a certain franchise review a game in said franchise? I dont understand.

a reviewer can have a taste in games, but you need to review a game on its own merits, not your personal tastes. That's what journalism is.
I want a reviewer to be themselves. If they don't like the GnG games, then that's perfectly alright. Perhaps GnG: Resurrection will win them over, perhaps it won't.

Having personal tastes is essential to criticism. What is a person if not the culmination of all their ideas & experiences? They should be free to share them with the world.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
reviews all over the place, it seems like

33bits (90/100, review in Spanish):
Ghosts' n Goblins Resurrection is the reimagining of the classics Ghosts' n Goblins and Ghouls' n Ghosts. It comes to us after 15 years without enjoying the adventures of Sir Arthur and it does so in the best possible way, with a classic adventure of devilish difficulty that includes enough news to satisfy both connoisseurs of the original titles and users that they approach him for the first time. So it is a pleasure that Capcom recovers its classic sagas.

The Games Machine (8.7/10, review in Italian):
Tokuro Fujiwara strikes again by taking Ghosts 'n Goblins back to its roots. As difficult as it gets and as inventive as it gets, this is a return in style for Arthur fans.

Nintendo World Report (6/10):
Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection is much more frustrating than fun, and it's unfortunate because the look of the game, and the amount of replayability is quite high, with 31 in-game challenges to shoot for. A second player can even join in to assist Arthur in a few different ways. Even if it's not impossible to finish Arthur's quest, the way the game asks you to do so completely sucks the joy of it. Countless times I would meet a grisly end through no real fault of my own; I simply didn't know what was coming or had essentially no time to react to oncoming danger. Compounding these necessary errors is a character that runs at a snail's pace and jumps with the grace of a beached whale. The new and remixed soundtrack is nice but maybe not as memorable as the original's, while the overall game performance is solid in Portable and TV mode. That said, I still find it hard to recommend Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection to anyone but the most devoted Ghosts 'n Goblins fans; for most Switch players, I suspect the design and gameplay will be too much to overcome. This feels a little like one of those "could" versus "should" scenarios. Maybe just let sleeping ghouls and ghosts lie.

GameSkinny (6/10):
Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection marks a return of the classic and nearly everything about it feels entirely, painfully old-school.

IndieWire (C-):
There's the occasional diverging path and a handful of unlockables to round things out, but "Resurrection" just feels threadbare compared to games that have been pushing side-scrolling to incredible new places in recent years. "Celeste" gave players few tools to work with but more than made up for it via smart level design and an affecting story; "Ori and the Will of the Wisps" aptly meshed freedom of movement with rewarding combat. Take away its thin veneer of nostalgia and "Resurrection" is just another platformer — one that can never jump high enough to reach the rest of its genre.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm

Sounds like the game is as close to GnG as it gets. With somewhat uneven graphics. I will have to grab it at some point.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I figured reviews would be even lower based on the fact that it's GnG and that people seemed pretty down on the art style from the get go. I love the series, think the art style (mostly) looks great, and really like what I've seen of the new additions, so I'm ready. Preloading is a go

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh I love Celeste but that comparison doesn't work for me, they're completely different styles of platformers. GnG's strength is in how limited your mobility is, but I guess that's also what makes it niche.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That Celeste comparison is weird, the two games aren't really alike at all... also, story isn't exactly a compelling argument for Celeste over GnG for me, I didn't care for Celeste's story and ended up skipping most cutscenes after a while just to get to more gameplay. I'm sure as heck glad GnG doesn't force that kind of thing on me.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
The IndieWire review is mad dumb. Those are the worst comparisons to use for game that's totally different from Celeste and Ori

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the IndieWire review either. Directly comparing games has always been something I prefer to avoid.
It's cheap criticism and a massive slippery slope.