• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Beat Squire taking the low route at the start.
Despite the low selection of difficulty, I can assure you that was still bloomin' tough.
Sucked up my pride and played Squire and I'm fine with that. This game is hard enough! I played high route 1-1 and 1-2, defeated the dragon and went back to do low 1-1. Why is LOW 1-1 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY harder than upper level 1-1? What the hell?? The slow-walk lunging zombies in 1-1 have NOTHING on those freaking death assassins of lower 1-1 graveyard. At first I assumed that it would just be a sprite swap, but OH NO It's NOT!!! I haven't made it to the end level boss yet. Is it still the Cyclops?? Love this game. Hate this game. Love this game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Sucked up my pride and played Squire and I'm fine with that. This game is hard enough! I played high route 1-1 and 1-2, defeated the dragon and went back to do low 1-1. Why is LOW 1-1 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY harder than upper level 1-1? What the hell?? The slow-walk lunging zombies in 1-1 have NOTHING on those freaking death assassins of lower 1-1 graveyard. At first I assumed that it would just be a sprite swap, but OH NO It's NOT!!! I haven't made it to the end level boss yet. Is it still the Cyclops?? Love this game. Hate this game. Love this game.
Different boss but I actually think it's a lot easier thinking about it.

Now if upper 2, the one stage I've yet to play, is anything as tough as lower 2 was, I'm scared in advance

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasted 30 lives on Cerberus, dropped down to Page difficulty, and still spent another 15 lives after that. I didn't feel happy or accomplished for beating him, just lucky that I got through it before the game decided to change the rules on me again. The levels are a lot like that too. You can be coping fine until you suddenly get dive-bombed by something you couldn't see coming or avoid and that's a re-start.

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
So it turns out that the Orbs in Hell Holes are all RNG based, and it only resets when you beat a playthrough.....which is a HUGE YIKES

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Before I pull the trigger, I don't have to beat the game twice to see credits or do anything weird like that right?

When you beat the game once you get a standard ending and the credits roll, but then it unlocks a second playthrough with remixed shadow levels that you have to beat to get the true ending.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I wasted 30 lives on Cerberus, dropped down to Page difficulty, and still spent another 15 lives after that. I didn't feel happy or accomplished for beating him, just lucky that I got through it before the game decided to change the rules on me again. The levels are a lot like that too. You can be coping fine until you suddenly get dive-bombed by something you couldn't see coming or avoid and that's a re-start.

I really enjoyed the first two bosses, but I honestly didn't enjoy Cerberus at all. I honestly just don't think it's designed very well, and not even in a 'it's two difficult!' way, but just the way its setup, poor visual cues, etc.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
This rolling rock weapon is horrible in most cases. Too slow in open areas and leaves you wide open. Has me absolutely stuck on Crystalline City, 3rd checkpoint in the jail and I'm about to restart this level just to not have it anymore.

Edit: finally beat it by obtaining potion bombs. Knight difficulty is no joke.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling that the knife is still the best weapon by far with the crossbow being mostly good and not wanting any other weapon at all, so I guess it's still GnG in that sense lol.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the first two bosses, but I honestly didn't enjoy Cerberus at all. I honestly just don't think it's designed very well, and not even in a 'it's two difficult!' way, but just the way its setup, poor visual cues, etc.
Yeah. It's honestly set up more like a Megaman X boss fight, where you need to be able to dash out of the way. In Arthur's case though, you're just shit out of luck. If big doggo decides to descend from the ceiling on top of you, you're getting hit. If he comes charging from the left or right off the screen, you'd better hope you just happened to be one or two platforms above ground level because otherwise you're getting hit.

And what was really pissing me off is when he'd come from the left and run off the right side of the screen and I would expect him to turn around and come back or come from above. But no, he'd somehow come from the left side of the screen again and I would be dead.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Going on the right side of the skill tree where you can unlock the ability to have up to two (or even three) weapons at once, crossbow is an evergreen secondary weapon.
I hesitate to call it the best because that middle blind spot can cause problems.

The knife is so solid here that I feel like it almost invalidates the lance as they fill such a similar role.

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
So I can confirm that one Demon Orb is in a Hell Hole (RNG based location)

Another one is in a chest in the Shadow version of Citadel's Approach

The last Demon Orb is a mystery to every one.

My hinch is that you need to either get every single umbral bee or get every upgrade

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
So I can confirm that one Demon Orb is in a Hell Hole (RNG based location)

Another one is in a chest in the Shadow version of Citadel's Approach

The last Demon Orb is a mystery to every one.

My hinch is that you need to either get every single umbral bee or get every upgrade

I've collected 15 out of 17 demon orbs and 201 umbral bees so far. No idea where the remaining two orbs are, so the grind continues onto playthrough #4.

On a positive note, I'm getting solid reads on attack patterns during boss fights now that I've got few playthroughs under my belt. Clear times and death count are rapidly declining. Playing Knight difficulty here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Uhhh, guys, is this weekend a terrible time to purchase a new, non-bundled, $299 Switch V2 ??
If I can?

I'm thinking of doing the almost unthinkable thing here...

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finding new ways to approach the hard sections and avoid the problem encounters has been a real treat. Really enjoying the level design here.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
I have two files, first one I tried Legend Day 1, got roasted by Firebrand(pre magic), lowered it to Knight, had trouble getting through the 2nd half of the Graveyard stage. The magic/thunder invincibility was clutch to dodge Firebrand's tackle that is so good. I had to lower it to Squire and ultimately got to finish 3 stages(Both Stage 1's and the top Stage 2).

Wasn't happy so I wanted to re-go at this with Legend.............BEAT Graveyard in under 2 hours but the bottom level Stage 1 is ridiculous, particularly the 2nd half of the level. I get up to the Waterfall part and there is too much shit going on, from the tentacles that take up half the screen to the plants that shoot pollen pellets at you(There like like 6-7 throughout) to the pitfalls that surround you, I got past it ONCE only to die to the pig crew that chases you down.

I think the game is good, just wish the mechanics were even steven. Enemies can shoot through hard wood/platforms, but you can't. When your turned into a frog, you can't hurt enemies but when you turn them into frogs, they can hurt you. I know GNG is RNG central so I know I die different ways because but those were some of the infuriating parts I noticed. You are riddled with so many item drops in the 1st half of 1-2 but the 2nd half? Zero drops along the way from the route I am going, thankfully I have the dagger but the dagger is limited vs the tentacles as they have specific hitboxes that the daggers don't always penetrate due to the armor the tentacles also have.

Have yet to get Golden Armor in Legend Mode, I guess you can't. Even at full health I get either wizard chests drops or shit point drops. Between these stages I have been at about 6 hours, not one golden armor. Brutal LOL.

I am so torn on either staying in legend mode or dropping it to Knight mode. I just know the amount of enemy spawn changes and I guess you can get bonus stages in this mode? I am proud I did the Graveyard stage in Legend mode and did half of the bottom level. Maybe with better magic I comeback to that and go after the 2's?

I just don't feel satisfied doing this in Squire mode which isn't too hard for me.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
zone 4 I'm on the back of this green slug in the muddy water and it's stuck on a loop of rising and lowering but there's nowhere I can go??

Really confused here.

Also fuck that candle section mid zone 3. The dragon ride was tough but fair, that candle part was just bs.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
zone 4 I'm on the back of this green slug in the muddy water and it's stuck on a loop of rising and lowering but there's nowhere I can go??

Really confused here.

Also fuck that candle section mid zone 3. The dragon ride was tough but fair, that candle part was just bs.
Shoot down. Hit the oval yellow pulse things. I assume you never played Ghouls and Ghost? That is a call back.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Ah i didn't like Ultimate :(

i hope there will be a real "arcade experience mode." for Gng Resurrection.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I managed to finish the game on Page and now I'm trying Legend. This game is no joke. Page doesn't really feel like an easy mode at all, lol

This is the first GnG I've played to completion. I booted up Super GnG on Switch and boy am I glas this new game doesn't have double jump. The double jump in that game is terrible. I also played a bit of Demon's Crest and man, that game rules. Definitely playing more of that one!

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, it has aged poorly for me. Didn't like the adventure game backtracking stuff. Fun game when it came out though. That and MM Powered Up made me feel good about my PSP.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it has aged poorly for me. Didn't like the adventure game backtracking stuff. Fun game when it came out though. That and MM Powered Up made me feel good about my PSP.
Backtracking was eliminated in the re-release of Ultimate - Ultimate GnG Kai. There's a mode that changes the more non linear feel of the game to a more linear classic progression. The gold rings just act as extra continues, and aren't needed - to get to the final boss you just gotta finish off the game twice, in classic fashion.

Real pity it never left Japan as its clearly the better version of the game (includes both versions of it on one UMD disc). Then again quite a few cool Capcom releases were Japan only for the PSP :(

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

I'd gladly get it as paid DLC because the amount of work needed to make a proper Arcade Mode would be no slouch.
But I'm not holding my breath...

I had lowered the difficulty because it felt wrong amassing such a death toll in a GnG game, I'm one for the "try to go for 1cc" arcade experience and that felt like credit feeding to hell and back.
But I'm back to Knight now, I've come to accept this game has completely different design sensibilities and that it expects you to die a ton and to take advantage of the checkpoint system.

I can see why some fans wouldn't appreciate that and are disappointed with the direction Fujiwara picked for Resurrection.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Can I change my difficulty without dying a bunch? I'm not cut out for knight so I'd rather start on squire each time.

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
This stupid fetch quest for the demon orbs really soured my opinion of the game.
They have learned nothing from Ultimate which is disappointing since the Kai version is one of the best GnG games.

As of this writing the final Demon orb is still a mystery, and personally I am getting sick of redoing every stage for the 5th time to find it.
Shame cause I enjoyed the game up to this point

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Only downside so far is when you die the default option to retry is not from the most recent checkpoint(rebirth flag?) but the 'key' part of the stage, since dying is quite normal in this game (playing on knight difficulty) I found this a bit annoying and even misclicked once in the first level. Apart from this small complaint, loving it so far and hope this series gets a bit more love in the future, it has terrific potential to grow further to today's modern gaming landscape.
Yeah this is a really annoying design choice on their part.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It gets better, folks. I'm dying way less.

I do like that this games is mega hard. Much more satisfying to complete stages.

This stupid fetch quest for the demon orbs really soured my opinion of the game.
They have learned nothing from Ultimate which is disappointing since the Kai version is one of the best GnG games.

As of this writing the final Demon orb is still a mystery, and personally I am getting sick of redoing every stage for the 5th time to find it.

The design of GnG has changed as the games went to console. It's tricky, it's hard to balance arcade style with a more expensive title--30 bucks.

I'm not where you are at yet, so can't comment. But I'm loving the main campaign so far.

I do think they will do a "Kai" style update though.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda bummed this isn't an arcade-structured game.

Still enjoying it so far.

Just realized that starting on Knight is massively different from dropping down from Legend

Last edited:

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The last level is fantastic.

The classic boss rushes of GnG are always fun, but this is really well done.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017

What is that orb thing ?