• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
I could see the OG difficulty being between Squire and Knight.

The issue with Knight is that you can have like 10 enemies ( I haven't counted, just an estimate) on the screen at once.

I never recall more than 5 or 6 in the arcade, which is more in line with Squire. Maybe the vulture tree in Ghouls is one part...not to mention the bosses are incredibly difficult on Knight.

Yes, I think you're right on the design - I still hope they can somehow patch it to make it smoother, but I'm not holding my breath.

I haven't played Resurrection (don't have a Switch), but you're pretty much on the money with low enemy counts in Daimakaimura/Ghouls n Ghosts.

There's a few sections with lots of enemies, but they all pretty much have a condition that makes it bearable. The tree is a good example since it's just a bunch of vultures that sorta don't do anything and if you just walk past it you get hit by a grand total of maybe one. As for the other ones I can remember:

1) 3-1, but it's an autoscroller so you can just focus on killing enemies. Though if you do have a bad weapon for it (sword or torch) you're pretty much screwed. All of the enemies there are also easy to deal with some way, being either immobile (wall knights), weak (flying goblins) or just really bad (the balloons).

lAFFhP9.png

2) The final part of 5-2, and even then it's near the end of the game and it's more "there's a lot of enemies if you go by total health rather than enemy count".

Most of the difficulty generally comes from one or two enemies coming in at weird arcs and just throwing you off your groove, and the longer you get thrown off your groove, the easier it is for you to get put into a no-win situation. (Fire bats in 2-2 and the fliers in 3-2 are the most drastic examples). Most deaths in the original come from getting checkmated rather than getting swarmed or cheaped out in some way.

That or you get a bad weapon drop you're forced to take.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Started on knight and man this game is damn hard. Gonna drop down to squire I think.
I started out as Squire and it's already giving me trouble. I'm planning to learn the enemies and levels and upgrade the difficulty from more play throughs. This game is going to be my 15 minute break game and it will last me quite a few months I think :)

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
How do playthroughs work on this. I know Page is limited to 1 playthrough but on the other difficulties do you just playthrough the game again with your upgrades?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Watched Maximilian play on Legend difficulty and it took him about 4 hours just to finish the first level

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Went through the stage with the darkness and boy this game is grueling. The part where you're hitching a ride on dragons was really cool... and grueling.

This game is great so far.

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Is there no way to change your file's difficulty? I just spent so much time working my way through a stage thinking I had lowered it to Knight, but it seems like it had defaulted back to Legend when I beat the first stage.

Legend is absolutely insane.

Ok so apparently when you select "Lower difficulty" all it does is remove certain enemies from play, but it doesn't actually lower your difficulty level. I just started a Knight file to see if I was going crazy after someone said the checkpoints on that difficulty are generous. You can even get hit three times.

I think somebody replied saying you can change the difficulty on the level select by pausing, but I'm not seeing it on my end.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I started on legend last night and it took me about an hour or so to get to the red arremer in 1-A.

i switched to knight and i finished the first stage in about... 45 minutes? this game is no joke.

stage 2-A took me a little under 2 hours (and 40 some deaths) on Knight. the "mansion" section from ghosts n goblins was my biggest hurdle-- boss was second as I
didn't expect his multi-forms.

This game is diabolical.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
LOL.

Why Legend?

The Mexican Runner played all day yesterday and took 12 hours to beat. And TMR is a beast at 2D platformers.
and that was only the first run. He still has to do the shadow levels. This game needs a very large amount of time to beat. This could take upwards of 50 hours to beat in total for most people.

soup

Sep 2, 2020
Capcom made a digital manual for the game. You can add it to the OP.

game.capcom.com

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection OFFICIAL WEB MANUAL

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection OFFICIAL WEB MANUAL
Thank you for posting this!

Some interesting tidbits from the manual:
- Black Treasure Chests: More elusive than the normal variety. Destroy one and an Alablaster will appear. Defeat it and a change will occur somewhere in the stage.
- The 2 Player section has me hyped to check it out
- Sounds like the Page difficulty is the only one that holds back content "Note: Unlike other paths, Pages will not be able to experience all of the game's content"

Oct 25, 2017
Started on knight and man this game is damn hard. Gonna drop down to squire I think.
I'm debating this. Still progressing and nearly done level 1, but I'm not sure the satisfaction of succeeding on Knight makes it worth the amount of death and time lost?

Can't even imagine playing on Legend. No thanks.

Btw it you quit the game, what progress is saved between Stage, Area and Banner progress? Do you start at the most recent banner or does it reset?

- Black Treasure Chests: More elusive than the normal variety. Destroy one and an Alablaster will appear. Defeat it and a change will occur somewhere in the stage.
- The 2 Player section has me hyped to check it out
- Sounds like the Page difficulty is the only one that holds back content "Note: Unlike other paths, Pages will not be able to experience all of the game's content"
This is huge! I had avoided the black chests, but I wonder what they change? Does anyone have an example?

And the last point answers a question I had earlier. Sounds like nothing is really lost with Squire.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I am LOVING this game and its difficulty, like holy shit balls this is fantastic. It is a beautiful game, and a long game. :)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This is huge! I had avoided the black chests, but I wonder what they change? Does anyone have an example?

They open a portal (aka Hell Hole) somewhere in the stage that takes you to a bonus room where you have to complete a challenge to get a reward. The only one I found so far was on the first stage, on the steps before you get to the Red Arremer a gravestone will fall down and create a gap for you to jump into. After you beat the bonus room, you're dropped off just before the little wood platform that you ride across the water, so you get to skip the Red Arremer entirely.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California

Destroying the black chest and defeating the jester from it will open up a secret portal (that purple glowing warp platform) somewhere within the level. Completing that secret level gives you precious items such as Umbral Bee, Golden armor, and yes, the elusive Demon Orb.

Btw it you quit the game, what progress is saved between Stage, Area and Banner progress? Do you start at the most recent banner or does it reset?

It should save the most recent mid-checkpoint as well when you back out of the level.

Oct 25, 2017
Destroying the black chest and defeating the jester from it will open up a secret portal (that purple glowing warp platform) somewhere within the level. Completing that secret level gives you precious items such as Umbral Bee, Golden armor, and yes, the elusive Demon Orb.
Shit you have to defeat the jester too?? They disappear pretty quickly

Definitely bumping this down to squire until I feel more confident with the controls. Still finding I'm turning the wrong way by accident sometimes and I haven't gotten certain attacks (eg, jumping sideways and shooting down) down reliably yet

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
They open a portal (aka Hell Hole) somewhere in the stage that takes you to a bonus room where you have to complete a challenge to get a reward. The only one I found so far was on the first stage, on the steps before you get to the Red Arremer a gravestone will fall down and create a gap for you to jump into. After you beat the bonus room, you're dropped off just before the little wood platform that you ride across the water, so you get to skip the Red Arremer entirely.
Only one I found too....

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Utterly LOVE the game. The checkpoint system is perfect and difficulty feels fair. Banners gives me Dark souls lever of achievement when finding a bonfire

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Utterly LOVE the game. The checkpoint system is perfect and difficulty feels fair. Banners gives me Dark souls lever of achievement when finding a bonfire

which difficulty are you playing on?

i actually feel the knight difficulty is the best compared to the classic games-- more than even the Legend one. it achieves a better balance of checkpoints to adjust for the fact that the levels are so much longer than in the older titles.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's a really good skip too if you have the 4-way electricity magic, you basically can't fail it

Questions:
1. Is there any purpose to hitting the bosses until the last phase of the fight?
2. Does the golden armor even do anything now?
3. How are you supposed to defeat Red Arremer?! It dodges everything I throw at it.

#1 is especially irritating if there's no point. Also, I generally hate most boss fights in video games, so this game becomes especially grating during those sections.

I haven't played Resurrection (don't have a Switch), but you're pretty much on the money with low enemy counts in Daimakaimura/Ghouls n Ghosts.

There's a few sections with lots of enemies, but they all pretty much have a condition that makes it bearable. The tree is a good example since it's just a bunch of vultures that sorta don't do anything and if you just walk past it you get hit by a grand total of maybe one. As for the other ones I can remember:

1) 3-1, but it's an autoscroller so you can just focus on killing enemies. Though if you do have a bad weapon for it (sword or torch) you're pretty much screwed. All of the enemies there are also easy to deal with some way, being either immobile (wall knights), weak (flying goblins) or just really bad (the balloons).

lAFFhP9.png

2) The final part of 5-2, and even then it's near the end of the game and it's more "there's a lot of enemies if you go by total health rather than enemy count".

Most of the difficulty generally comes from one or two enemies coming in at weird arcs and just throwing you off your groove, and the longer you get thrown off your groove, the easier it is for you to get put into a no-win situation. (Fire bats in 2-2 and the fliers in 3-2 are the most drastic examples). Most deaths in the original come from getting checkmated rather than getting swarmed or cheaped out in some way.

That or you get a bad weapon drop you're forced to take.

This is incredibly informative, thank you!

Yes, on higher difficulties, you get completely swarmed with enemies. It's not even fun, just frustrating.

Higher difficulty should come from level design and enemy placement, rather than increasing enemy count.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Questions:
1. Is there any purpose to hitting the bosses until the last phase of the fight?
3. How are you supposed to defeat Red Arremer?! It dodges everything I throw at it.

#1 is especially irritating if there's no point. Also, I generally hate most boss fights in video games, so this game becomes especially grating during those sections.

This is incredibly informative, thank you!

Yes, on higher difficulties, you get completely swarmed with enemies. It's not even fun, just frustrating.

Higher difficulty should come from level design and enemy placement, rather than increasing enemy count.
I have a feeling they will release an complete "arcade" tuned campaign later. Similar to UGnG.

Hopefully, free DLC lol.

I don't mind the crazy diffculty honestly. It's fun. Reminds me of NES hard.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Questions:

1) I dont get the question. You cant get to the final phase unless you hit the bosses enough to get to the final phase...
2) Extra hit point. No idea if it serves any other purpose.
3) Still working on my strategy. The old Super GnG strat of getting him to charge you from the ground sorta works but I've not managed to kill him before he hits me. So it might be better to jump over him when he runs at you on the ground and then mid jump, shoot down onto him. That works for me well at the moment. Also, if you can time it right, his flying swoop attack will go over you if you duck - so you can get a quick hit in before/after you duck - but I can't do this 100% of the time, sometimes he swoops too low. There's a pattern to it, I just need to figure it out.

80s style difficulty was a must for me for this game. GnG wouldn't be the same if they watered it down (its nice to have a mix of difficulties for all players though). Its nice they upgraded the boss fights though, they were always way too easy in older games, they are way better in this one.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I heard the campaign is only 5 hours long. Is that true ?

If so, I hope there's some replayability... (outside of just the shadow stages)

The game is hard as fuck, most people aint finishing this in 5 hours let alone 5 days. You'll replay it plenty as the demons scatter your bones and boxers across the countryside while you struggle to figure out how to reach the next checkpoint.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
How many buttons are needed for this game? I was thinking a SNES classic controller with raphnet adapter.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The cursed chests that lead to the hellholes are really cool, but that still doesn't seem related to the chest completion stat on the level select screen. Anyone know yet how to get the full x/x chests?

Edit: I think I see now. It makes more sense if you return to the map while halfway through a level. Each segment of a level has its own chest counter. So the Zombie Graveyard section of the Graveyard stage has 6 chests to find, and the second half, Woody Pig Woods, has 6 to find as well. It seems your chest completion goes away after you beat the level though, since I've definitely beaten the Graveyard stage before, but the second half of the stage after replaying up to that point still shows 0/6.

Last edited:
I have a feeling they will release an complete "arcade" tuned campaign later. Similar to UGnG.

Hopefully, free DLC lol.

I think the game at Squire is NES hard (if you were to take away the checkpoints), but above that, this game is kinda ludicrous.

I separate old-school difficulty like this:
- Difficult until you figure out a specific trick/gimmick (most Arcade games, some 8-bit games)
- Difficult until you develop the skills/memorization. (For me, this is most 8-16 bit games)
- Difficult because of unfair design - you only progress by getting lucky a certain % of the time.

For me so far, Knight and Legend are the last one.

The caveat being, you could argue most/all games are difficult until you finally get good enough.

I think the difficulty in this game is due to poor/slow character movement and unfair enemy spawning at the higher levels.

1) I dont get the question. You cant get to the final phase unless you hit the bosses enough to get to the final phase...
2) Extra hit point. No idea if it serves any other purpose.
3) Still working on my strategy. The old Super GnG strat of getting him to charge you from the ground sorta works but I've not managed to kill him before he hits me. So it might be better to jump over him when he runs at you on the ground and then mid jump, shoot down onto him. That works for me well at the moment. Also, if you can time it right, his flying swoop attack will go over you if you duck - so you can get a quick hit in before/after you duck - but I can't do this 100% of the time, sometimes he swoops too low. There's a pattern to it, I just need to figure it out.

Well, you answered my question!

I ask #1 because it seems like hitting the bosses during the first parts of the fights doesn't really do anything - in other words, you could just as well dodge and not use any weapons and still make it to the later phases.

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017

It should save the most recent mid-checkpoint as well when you back out of the level.
How do you get past that stone wall that blocks the hell hole?

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
How do you get past that stone wall that blocks the hell hole?
I'm not sure which level you're referring to as I don't recall seeing a stone wall, but I presume you're referring to the Graveyard level. Going off by memory, the black chest can be found at the bottom of the hill right after the red arremer cathedral. Jump around a bit (don't cross the pond) to trigger the chest.

You can either back out of the level or beat the level boss, but you will need to go back to the beginning of the graveyard level and make your way to the staircase. As you're about to approach the cathedral, a tombstone will fall off the upper platform and punch a hole thru the stairs. You simply drop into the sinkhole.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So I managed to beat every shadow stage....and I am missing three Demon orbs which is required to unlock the true final boss......
So far NO ONE KNOWS how to get them, so basically I am stuck. (I hope you dont have to collect every umbral bee)

I found one of those missing demon orbs you're after. As I suspected (and WBacon confirmed), it was indeed in a hell hole. Specifically, the one in the Execution Grounds. After the part where you slide down the tunnel with the pig guys, the black chest spawns over on the far right side of the waterfall area near the ladder. The portal itself shows up above the slide, you just hop into it while you're sliding past.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
It's really annoying having to select where to respawn. Just give me an option to start at the last checkpoint by default

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
Before I pull the trigger, I don't have to beat the game twice to see credits or do anything weird like that right?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Squire taking the low route at the start.
Despite the low selection of difficulty, I can assure you that was still bloomin' tough.

Maybe it's just me but the feeling I get is that the more modern tweak to the game design here is somewhat in lieu of the tougher platformers of the current day or even dare I make the forbidden reference to souls, which is to say by ramping up the number of checkpoints (I want to say the old ones have one checkpoint per stage max) and having infinite retries means that you can brute force your way through a lot easier than the previous games (where I'd actually say you couldn't brute force at all really) BUT by virtue of having these concessions, the individual segments ramp things up quite a bit, a lot more moving parts and obstacles that will probably trip you up a few times each until you "get" them.

I do feel a bit like even though I beat the base game, playing under old school rules I'd still be on the second stage or something!

Well I cussed my way through every stage with such great immediate salty reactions as...
- How was I supposed to know that was gonna happen?!
- This boss isn't even that hard it's just *aspect of boss that makes it hard*
- This is just a bit silly, I can't hit that angle!

I think I enjoyed myself, well time to do it all again.

My Super GnG tactic works for them, as I found out yesterday:
You want them to land on the ground. So I think to get them down, you want to be standing a little ways away from them (dont go too far because they'll chase you if you try to run away!). Dont attack it at all yet.
When it lands, still hold off attacking. You want to wait... once it starts running right at you, hammer the shoot button and kill it. It wont jump away but rather just keep running right at you so its the one time you can hit it multiple times for sure, but make sure you are quick because it takes quite a few hits.

But this works for sure. I did a second run on Zone 3 last night and it worked perfect there.
And I'll be taking this advice with me to round 2, cheers