• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So is it a good thing, been replaying Ghost N Goblins OG, Ghouls N Ghosts and Super Ghouls N Ghosts recently to prepare for this gane. Gotra admit Ghost N Goblins OG was kicking my ass. Got better in Ghouls N Ghosts, and was enjoying myself on Super

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's so much fun to destroy enemies in this game -- they explode like blood piñatas, lol. The "shooting," feedback on enemy kills and snappy platforming keeps things from getting repetitive when you try an area again and again. Also, at first it might seem like they're throwing unlimited enemies at you, but there is a limit to the enemies in most areas. It's so much fun!

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna lower the difficulty after the first stage but it feels like these skill upgrade could help a lot, so maybe I stick with Legend.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Playing on knight. It's frustrating, but I think easier than the NES game at least. Passed the 1st and 2nd stages (went up then down) and died 67 times and 77 times respectively. I am enjoying myself, but man, it's pretty tough

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I caved and picked it up. Completed the graveyard and yup that's original GnG. I can't wait to play more tonight. I had to set it down because I was playing in handheld but this art deserves to be seen on a bigger screen.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After beating four stages on squire, I quickly dipped into a Knight difficulty file to see the immediate differences.

Of course a person really trying to give you the deets would choose the same stage 1 as I did on the other file...but my thirst for new content was real so I chose the opposite one.

Even so there's some stuff I noticed.
- I think you can take three hits on Knight and four on Squire
- For some reason the retry screen on knight tries to default you into choosing a blue flag "area" checkpoint instead of the red revival ones, but you can just choose the red ones anyway so I have no idea why this is the case. Now on Squire i'm pretty sure it defaults to whatever the most recent checkpoint is regardless of colour.
- Though it was a different stage, I'm pretty sure Knight has more enemies spawning so it's more shmup like (as you expect really)

I was hoping some aspects of old school G&G difficulty would be maybe tweaked but errr it's pretty much as dickish as back then.
Though I do feel like the level design philosophy is taking into account that you now have more checkpoints and unlimited lives, thus some sections can be gruelling and a bit more built around the expectation of death (at least compared to say SG&G? but it has been like 4 years since I played that).

Now....any tips for the red arremer in this one? I just can't hit that bugger at all and every time I've encountered one I just run to the next checkpoint and when he inevitably kills me I get to start firebrand free, dude seems extra evasive here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
How do you get the game to save your treasure chest completion? Zombie Graveyard says I have 0/6, but I'm pretty sure I found five or six. Maybe you have to spawn them, collect what's inside, and then hit a checkpoint in order to lock them in, unlike the Umbral Bees?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game! Surprisingly the last stage was the easiest one for me, the platforming section was pretty breezy and I had way more trouble with Cerberus than I did with Astaroth or Lucifer.

Then I played the first shadow level and good LORD. Shadow Graveyard makes regular Graveyard look like Elmo's Number Journey in comparison. It's basically a brand new stage since it takes a bunch of elements from other levels and remixes them in extremely evil ways. Thankfully the boss was exactly the same as before. I can't fathom anyone beating the normal stages on Legend let alone these!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game! Surprisingly the last stage was the easiest one for me, the platforming section was pretty breezy and I had way more trouble with Cerberus than I did with Astaroth or Lucifer.

Then I played the first shadow level and good LORD. Shadow Graveyard makes regular Graveyard look like Elmo's Number Journey in comparison. It's basically a brand new stage since it takes a bunch of elements from other levels and remixes them in extremely evil ways. Thankfully the boss was exactly the same as before. I can't fathom anyone beating the normal stages on Legend let alone these!
This is EXACTLY what I wanted from the "replay the game for the true ending " tradition. Sounds like the second playthrough is quite a bit different than the initial run. That's awesome!

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Is the soundtrack original, or a best-music-from-the-series thing? Did they go for an orchestrated style or is it a little more synthy? Thanks!
Is more like... An orchestrated style with a little bit more techno.

Is the classics but with a lovely twist...
Sorry I couldn't help more I stopped playing

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This game is so so good.

I have no idea how some Youtubers, who are fans of the these games, reacted so badly to it. I'm legit baffled.

I get those that don't want to die every second, but this is pure GnG. Especially after the lackluster UGnG. This is the return to form. Moreover, the harder difficulty is great since this is a console game. You're not running out of credits.

Also, it is very fair once your start learning it. It just takes time. Like any good arcade game.

For example--Stage 2 spoilers:

In the snowy branch, you have a snowman enemy that shoots icicles. One icicle can be destroyed--the snow covered one. The icey ones cannot. At first it seems very unfair, but then you notice you can destroy the snowy icicle. Genius.

Also, the music is ace!

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
So I managed to beat every shadow stage....and I am missing three Demon orbs which is required to unlock the true final boss......
So far NO ONE KNOWS how to get them, so basically I am stuck. (I hope you dont have to collect every umbral bee)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I knew it! I knew that 1-lifeing fuckin' Super deceived me into thinking I was a great GnG series player and that I couldn't 1cc Ghouls' 2nd loop simply because I was more of a double-jump kinda player.
The harsh reality Resurrection brought to light is that my true GnG rank title is what I've earned thru almost 3 decades of Goblins: SHIT player.
This is kicking my ass. Even tho the game seems to be built around executing the best possible 'checkpoint to checkpoint' slice of a level, to me it feels just wrong to be playing Ghosts n Goblins loosing a billion lives before clearing a hard section just that one time so you get to make it to the checkpoint. Rinse and repeat? Nope, I just can't.

This was heresy up until a few hours ago, but I'm thinking of lowering the difficulty and concentrate on making clean-ish runs before attempting Knight difficulty again. Should I?

This feels like the hardest in the series by far, although it's also only been a day. To be fair I'm not a fan of the hit detection and some hitboxes and that's been giving me trouble with so many enemies who are invulnerable at the beginnin of their animations (lurking/jumping off a bush, coming out of trees, etc).

I gotta say it - this game is one patch away from being excellent.

By far, my biggest issues are that Arthur feels laggy - the movements are just a bit too slow.
This includes everything - waking, turning, using weapons.
It also seems like the dagger is also slower than it should be.

Last, the difficulty scaling is awkward.
As far as I can tell, the only way the game gets more difficult is by throwing ridiculous amounts of enemies at you - and increase the HP of bigger enemies.

Couple that with the aforementioned slow movement and it's a frustrating game for me to play.

As far as I can tell, Squire is closest to the original games. I made the mistake of starting on Knight. It was not enjoyable on that difficulty.

I hope the controls can be patched to become a bit more snappy or responsive.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I gotta say it - this game is one patch away from being excellent.

By far, my biggest issues are that Arthur feels laggy - the movements are just a bit too slow.
This includes everything - waking, turning, using weapons.
It also seems like the dagger is also slower than it should be.

Last, the difficulty scaling is awkward.
As far as I can tell, the only way the game gets more difficult is by throwing ridiculous amounts of enemies at you - and increase the HP of bigger enemies.

Couple that with the aforementioned slow movement and it's a frustrating game for me to play.

As far as I can tell, Squire is closest to the original games. I made the mistake of starting on Knight. It was not enjoyable on that difficulty.

I hope the controls can be patched to become a bit more snappy or responsive.

They said Knight is closer to the original games, but it may be a tad more difficult. Squire is way easier than most of the older games, by a pretty wide margin from what I recall. I hate to say, but I don't really think a lot of these things you're experiencing is due to lag, I think it's more just in how they chose to design the character this time.

They said Knight is closer to the original games, but it may be a tad more difficult. Squire is way easier than most of the older games, by a pretty wide margin from what I recall. I hate to say, but I don't really think a lot of these things you're experiencing is due to lag, I think it's more just in how they chose to design the character this time.

I could see the OG difficulty being between Squire and Knight.

The issue with Knight is that you can have like 10 enemies ( I haven't counted, just an estimate) on the screen at once.

I never recall more than 5 or 6 in the arcade, which is more in line with Squire. Maybe the vulture tree in Ghouls is one part...not to mention the bosses are incredibly difficult on Knight.

Yes, I think you're right on the design - I still hope they can somehow patch it to make it smoother, but I'm not holding my breath.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I played through a bit of both Legend and Knight and... it seems about the same difficulty wise but.. Knight has more generous checkpoints. I'm sticking with it as I play through the game the first time. I even think Knight is significantly harder than the old games.

I died about 80 times by the time I beat the second level lol

Last edited:

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Man, I'm not feeling this :(

Last GnG I played was Ultimate in 2006 on PSP and I thought it was a huge step forward for the franchise. Looked great and played great. I've only done the first two stages here but I feel like it looks kind of shitty, runs kind of shitty, and the control feels worse than what I remember it being.

Also feels way more trollish. I played the Graveyard stage a few times until I pretty much had it down and the hardest spot every time was the stupid little moving platform over the water after Red Armorer which just keeps changing it's pattern and feels fucking random so half the time I jump and am committed it moves in the other direction and kills me. Stuff that like just feels way too troll.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Wait a second, this game runs at like half framerate docked wtf. I undocked it and this choppy game is suddenly super smooth.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
better trade off for multi directional aiming :)

these stages would need to be completely redesigned if it had double jump-- game was designed to play more like the first two games.

What's multi-directional aiming in this game? Just the ability to throw up & down? You couldn't do that in the old games?

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Is there no way to change your file's difficulty? I just spent so much time working my way through a stage thinking I had lowered it to Knight, but it seems like it had defaulted back to Legend when I beat the first stage.

Legend is absolutely insane.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
it wasn't in ghosts n goblins or super ghouls n ghosts

Ah.

I never liked those games back in the day. Ultimate on PSP was the first GnG game I enjoyed since it was more accessible but still challenging level design. This one might not be for me.

Dunno why they didn't iterate off Ultimate. Wasn't it really well received?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Ah.

I never liked those games back in the day. Ultimate on PSP was the first GnG game I enjoyed since it was more accessible but still challenging level design. This one might not be for me.

Dunno why they didn't iterate off Ultimate. Wasn't it really well received?
Ultimate got a Japan only revision (Goku Makaimura Kai) that made the game more streamlined like the older games because a lot of people didn't like all the item collecting and backtracking.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now....any tips for the red arremer in this one? I just can't hit that bugger at all and every time I've encountered one I just run to the next checkpoint and when he inevitably kills me I get to start firebrand free, dude seems extra evasive here.
My Super GnG tactic works for them, as I found out yesterday:
You want them to land on the ground. So I think to get them down, you want to be standing a little ways away from them (dont go too far because they'll chase you if you try to run away!). Dont attack it at all yet.
When it lands, still hold off attacking. You want to wait... once it starts running right at you, hammer the shoot button and kill it. It wont jump away but rather just keep running right at you so its the one time you can hit it multiple times for sure, but make sure you are quick because it takes quite a few hits.

But this works for sure. I did a second run on Zone 3 last night and it worked perfect there.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
I heard the campaign is only 5 hours long. Is that true ?

If so, I hope there's some replayability... (outside of just the shadow stages)

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Still I don't believe that I'm playing a new GnG in 2021. Capcom, you beautiful bastards.

Is there no way to change your file's difficulty? I just spent so much time working my way through a stage thinking I had lowered it to Knight, but it seems like it had defaulted back to Legend when I beat the first stage.

Legend is absolutely insane.

Press +/- in the selection of levels.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck clearing the game in 5 hours lol. The game probably isnt the longest but its difficulty means you wont exactly walk through it in a couple of hours. There's a bunch of in game achievements, alternate stages to tackle, the shadow stages (which sound like they are way more different than previous GnG playthroughs) and some useful upgrade collectibles to get. Oh, and higher difficulty(ies) if you fancy even more of a challenge.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Don't know how long it is if one goes through it without dying a ton... but most people will be dying a ton.

Also there are alternate stage choices for the first two at the very least and it appears that "beating" the game remixes the stages to the point where they are pretty much new (I assume you have to beat the game twice to beat it for real).

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Are there a lot of long multi-phase bosses like the dragon in the crystaline tower? Took me over an hour of retries to clear and it was really annoying having to go through the first phase (which is easy) over and over, especially since the damage you do in phase 1 doesn't seem to mean anything since it's a set flying path length. Kept getting trapped by its path in phase 2.

The level was good, I just don't like multi-phase bosses in a game where you are going to be dying 30 times in a fight. Maybe for a final boss, but already something like this in zone 2?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Zone 4 now clear. So far, from what I've found - here's what I think works by far the best (for me) for most encounters:
Primary weapon: knife
Secondary weapon: crossbow
Magic: Frog magic MKII

Knife is fast and accurate, crossbow is excellent for attacking stuff at different angles, the frog magic is just handy for reducing threats en masse (bar the red aremers, you can't just make them disappear!)

Zone 4 on the map seems short - only 5 collectibles. Simple right? Ha! Its GnG after all. The eyeball stuff at first is terrifying until you realise that accuracy is your friend in these sections and things get "easier".
I found that even with rapid fire, getting red aremer to die in one charge doesn't work as great as it does in Super GnG so I'm playing around with jumping over his charge and hitting him from above, as well as ducking under his flying attack (though I don't have the timing down perfect for that to work 100%).

But otherwise the stage is fairly ok. Not easy, just not as terrifying as the first half! The boss is also fairly ok once you get the attack patterns down. Now onto Zone 5...

Are there a lot of long multi-phase bosses like the dragon in the crystaline tower? Took me over an hour of retries to clear and it was really annoying having to go through the first phase (which is easy) over and over, especially since the damage you do in phase 1 doesn't seem to mean anything since it's a set flying path length. Kept getting trapped by its path in phase 2.

The level was good, I just don't like multi-phase bosses in a game where you are going to be dying 30 times in a fight. Maybe for a final boss, but already something like this in zone 2?
All bosses in the game have multiple phases. Though all of them bar the dragon are just a change of attacks/tactics and not quite as long as the dragon (which has the whole ride along section at the beginning).

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Zone 4 now clear. So far, from what I've found - here's what I think works by far the best (for me) for most encounters:
Primary weapon: knife
Secondary weapon: crossbow
Magic: Frog magic MKII

Knife is fast and accurate, crossbow is excellent for attacking stuff at different angles, the frog magic is just handy for reducing threats en masse (bar the red aremers, you can't just make them disappear!)

Zone 4 on the map seems short - only 5 collectibles. Simple right? Ha! Its GnG after all. The eyeball stuff at first is terrifying until you realise that accuracy is your friend in these sections and things get "easier".
I found that even with rapid fire, getting red aremer to die in one charge doesn't work as great as it does in Super GnG so I'm playing around with jumping over his charge and hitting him from above, as well as ducking under his flying attack (though I don't have the timing down perfect for that to work 100%).

But otherwise the stage is fairly ok. Not easy, just not as terrifying as the first half! The boss is also fairly ok once you get the attack patterns down. Now onto Zone 5...

All bosses in the game have multiple phases. Though all of them bar the dragon are just a change of attacks/tactics and not quite as long as the dragon (which has the whole ride along section at the beginning).

Yeah, I don't mind change in tactics like the zone 1 bosses.
Hell the dragon fight would be fine with just the phase 2 & 3 parts.

The first phase just made it too long. Wish there was a checkpoint after the first phase, at least on easier difficulties.