• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna try beating the first level in the hardest difficulty first thing because I am not a reasonable person.

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
I jumped right in to the default difficulty, which I think is Legend and damn did I forgot how difficult GnG is. I absolutely love it though, and I was laughing so hard at the amount of deaths that were piling up.

It's been so long since I played "through" a GnG game, so I am unsure what some of these pick ups do anymore. I kept killing the pot carrying zombies for these tiny armor pick ups, but I have no idea what it does lol.

I hesitated because "Legend" was presented as the default, but it really seems tuned for a second playthrough.

The pots are random as far as I can tell. Sometimes they'll have score pickups and other times they'll have weapons. As far as I can tell your best bet for armor is opening chests.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
i liked the part where someone with a xenoblade 2 avatar complained about a possibility of arthur being in smash when 1) he's been in fighting games that are better than smash and 2) gng is a foundational game in the history of japanese video games
They are right about not wanting Arthur in Smash

Because I'd rather have Firebrand in Smash

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Was hyped when this was announced, just finished the first two levels. It's challenging yet so fun to keep pushing through. Only downside so far is when you die the default option to retry is not from the most recent checkpoint(rebirth flag?) but the 'key' part of the stage, since dying is quite normal in this game (playing on knight difficulty) I found this a bit annoying and even misclicked once in the first level. Apart from this small complaint, loving it so far and hope this series gets a bit more love in the future, it has terrific potential to grow further to today's modern gaming landscape.

it is super annoying as you, myself and others have noticed by mis

*BUT*
Cugel claimed (twice) that somehow his game has the default retry selection on the banner checkpoint

Dunno how that's possible since I could not find anything in the game to change it, I asked him for more details but he hasn't replied since (maybe he hasn't come back online yet)

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

*BUT*
Cugel claimed (twice) that somehow his game has the default retry selection on the banner checkpoint

Dunno how that's possible since I could not find anything in the game to change it, I asked him for more details but he hasn't replied since (maybe he hasn't come back online yet)

have you checked twitch streams (they're dying a lot on this game lol) to see what their retry selection looks like?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

*BUT*

I also had it on the Banner as the first choice. It is on "retry Area" in instances where the last checkpoint is the start of a new area though (like during boss fights)

Don't know why it is different for me. Could it be a difficulty thing? I'm playing on Squire.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Me starting this game: Hmm, maybe squire will take too much bite out the game but I'll play it safe

Me now after 3 stages: thank the gods I picked squire

Shiiiiit me, hey guys, did you know this game is kinda tough? Wild huh!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Me starting this game: Hmm, maybe squire will take too much bite out the game but I'll play it safe

That will probably be me. As I kid I'm not sure I made it past the second level. So I plan to start low and try harder on subsequent playthroughs.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium

*BUT*

I think I read his posts, but nothing conclusive came out of there. Maybe a possible patch can fix this very minor issue? Only happened once where I picked the wrong checkpoint, but each time I die I need to be sure I pick the right one. It's only during those rebirth flags sections anyway!

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Man I want to buy this right now but... That 30€ price makes me pause a bit. What if they announce a physical release in a couple of months, just like with Hades? :(

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on Knight. Each section takes 100 tries but it's fun. But I left earlier unsure what to do at 1-1's spinning water log.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first five stages so far and this game is fantastic. I started off attempting Knight but bumped it down to Squire, seemed like the better choice for a first playthrough given that it's still pretty tough. The stages feel so much more dynamic and interesting than those of the previous entries and the bosses are a major highlight. It's hard but not in an unfair way, I think it's very much comparable to other modern challenging games like Dark Souls or Cuphead where it's more about taking on brief but intense challenges with generous checkpoints and infinite retries than doing a marathon with limited lives and continues... on Squire at least.

The visuals and music are also way better than I was expecting. I know the paper doll look isn't everyone's cup of tea but it fits this game really well and doesn't deserve the dumb "it looks like a Flash game!" comments (which is already pretty worthless criticism since all it really boils down to is "this game uses tweens").

I also had it on the Banner as the first choice. It is on "retry Area" in instances where the last checkpoint is the start of a new area though (like during boss fights)

Don't know why it is different for me. Could it be a difficulty thing? I'm playing on Squire.

Pretty sure it's a difficulty thing, on Squire it defaults to Retry from Banner but on Knight it defaults to Retry Area. Possibly intentional but hopefully it gets patched.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I don't know if its been answered but any chance a physical release down the road?? Kinda holding off on a shadow drop before I purchase this digitally.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if its been answered but any chance a physical release down the road?? Kinda holding off on a shadow drop before I purchase this physically.
Nothing mentioned so far.

If physical is that important to you, I would just wait a year. If nothing happens in year good chance it will never get a physical release.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly despite the amount of time I'm dying I'm finding new ways to approach the level. It's only the first level but the design is really, really good. Finding out I can walk on a pillar you knock down to reach a high path that's significantly easier was a revelation cuz I kept knocking it down from a distance lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, stage 3 (or technically stage 5, if you tackle all stages before it) is bastard hard in places. Its basically divided into two concepts - this evil pitch black idea where only certain enemies are visible, and other on rails stuff. The on rails platforming stuff is "easy". Its in fact not easy, but compared to the pitch black stuff it (and even the boss) feel like a pushover.
Doesn't help that they have so many enemies in the pitch black sections and its hard to see them coming (literally), and yup you get Red Aremers in this bit as well, just to make things even harder!

The only bit of good news is that after many deaths, I can see that you can beat the red aremers like in past games - that is - get them to land (somehow, not 100% sure on how but its tied to not attacking them, maybe keeping your distance). It'll then land and do its funny dance as it stands there, swaying side by side. Crouch and wait, it'll eventually run right toward you and that's the point where you pepper it with attacks and kill it. Easier said than done in this level though! I also noticed that you can dodge some by not shooting out certain flames, and when all else fails, run!

Its very, very good but also in my eyes probably the hardest of the series yet. I can clear the other games in the series no problems but this one feels like a step up. Most levels I should be able to learn though, its only day 1 after all.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Any word on this hitting other platforms? I'd prefer to pick it up on my Xbox but will buy in on Switch if I have to.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I did the first two levels, as in I went back and did the graveyard after the executioner stage. I died twice as much in the graveyard, but like most of it was in one section where you had to kill one of those big vines, and you had to throw you lance downward and, for the life of me, I just could not get that down at all. I'm not sure why, though, it just doesn't seem to work most of the time when I jump and throw downward. Maybe I'm timing it poorly.

I jumped right in to the default difficulty, which I think is Legend and damn did I forgot how difficult GnG is. I absolutely love it though, and I was laughing so hard at the amount of deaths that were piling up.

It's been so long since I played "through" a GnG game, so I am unsure what some of these pick ups do anymore. I kept killing the pot carrying zombies for these tiny armor pick ups, but I have no idea what it does lol.

In one of those dev videos they actually said Knight was meant to be the typical GnG difficulty and Legend was the ultimate challenge or some shit like that. N

Apr 21, 2018
Played the first five stages so far and this game is fantastic. I started off attempting Knight but bumped it down to Squire, seemed like the better choice for a first playthrough given that it's still pretty tough. The stages feel so much more dynamic and interesting than those of the previous entries and the bosses are a major highlight. It's hard but not in an unfair way, I think it's very much comparable to other modern challenging games like Dark Souls or Cuphead where it's more about taking on brief but intense challenges with generous checkpoints and infinite retries than doing a marathon with limited lives and continues... on Squire at least.

The visuals and music are also way better than I was expecting. I know the paper doll look isn't everyone's cup of tea but it fits this game really well and doesn't deserve the dumb "it looks like a Flash game!" comments (which is already pretty worthless criticism since all it really boils down to is "this game uses tweens").

Fuck it.
Think I'll be buying this tonight. Can't wait to see that hand-drawn work on my 4K OLED.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So is the hardest difficulty in the game, like arcade mode?? I like playing Ghost N Goblins games similar to arcade mode where you die constantly. If yes, might wait for a sale digitally and buy this game.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love the look but this series is way to hard for my bum ass

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
So is the hardest difficulty in the game, like arcade mode?? I like playing Ghost N Goblins games similar to arcade mode where you die constantly. If yes, might wait for a sale digitally and buy this game.
This is the hardest GnG game bar none.

Luckily there are some easy difficulties.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
It truly warms my heart to see fans coming around to the title. Yes, I am a Capcom guy partial to the game. But before that, I am a diehard fan of the GnG series who have been waiting for a new entry and for me this game didn't disappoint.

True to the series, this is a through and through signature Fujiwara title that will beat you to a pulp — very tough but fair —but with enough difficulty options and systemic QOL improvements that hopefully will cater to a wider (though still not for everyone…) audience.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It truly warms my heart to see fans coming around to the title. Yes, I am a Capcom guy partial to the game. But before that, I am a diehard fan of the GnG series who have been waiting for a new entry and for me this game didn't disappoint.

True to the series, this is a through and through signature Fujiwara title that will beat you to a pulp — very tough but fair —but with enough difficulty options and systemic QOL improvements that hopefully will cater to a wider (though still not for everyone…) audience.

This game is fantastic all around truly. I just wish there was a way to do a 1cc run. It feels like 1 life run is the only option from what I can see.

Oct 28, 2017
Really great so far – ticks all the boxes for me. Also totally flipped on the visuals as soon as I started playing. So many charming details.

But why is no one talking about the co-op mode?! We had so much fun, my son playing as the little helper character, switching between the different available abilities!

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

i am playing in the hardest difficulty,and it's more difficult than Ghost'n'Goblins arcade.I am still on the first level lol :D

there is one thing that i don't like is the weapon drop : the weapon don't fall directly on the ground,but bounces towards you,sometime you can't avoid that and you catch the weapon even if you don't want it. :(

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
This game is fantastic all around truly. I just wish there was a way to do a 1cc run. It feels like 1 life run is the only option from what I can see.

Haha,1cc runs are frustratingly fun! I did that on Ghouls (more specifically, Daimakaimura) arcade during my youthful years. Muscle memory and 50 y/o hands be damned as I try basking in my former glory in CAS this past weekend via score challenge. Got pretty close as I got to the third stage on loop #2 (got unlucky with an unfortunate weapon pickup).

As for 1cc on GnGR, I've come to accept that it's a systemically different beast that probably doesn't befit the 1cc concept. IMO GnGR is a harder game where you're expected to die a lot more. It has RPG-like elements (Umbral Tree), much longer levels than prior arcade entries, and allows for backtracking the same level or taking a different path. This is all supported by checkpoints and a save system.

That being said, I am confident there will be some crazy ass dude/dudette that will speed-run and beat this game in under three lives. Can't wait to see that happen on AGDQ sometime in the future!

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
yeah GnGR feels a little bit like a rogue like actually.
It's not really a 1cc experience.
Game is really really really hard.
And it has probably the most annoying birds in the serie :D

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Haha,1cc runs are frustratingly fun! I did that on Ghouls (more specifically, Daimakaimura) arcade during my youthful years. Muscle memory and 50 y/o hands be damned as I try basking in my former glory in CAS this past weekend via score challenge. Got pretty close as I got to the third stage on loop #2 (got unlucky with an unfortunate weapon pickup).

As for 1cc on GnGR, I've come to accept that it's a systemically different beast that probably doesn't befit the 1cc concept. IMO GnGR is a harder game where you're expected to die a lot more. It has RPG-like elements (Umbral Tree), much longer levels than prior arcade entries, and allows for backtracking the same level or taking a different path. This is all supported by checkpoints and a save system.

That being said, I am confident there will be some crazy ass dude/dudette that will speed-run and beat this game in under three lives. Can't wait to see that happen on AGDQ sometime in the future!

I await the madman who does a no deaths,no umbral tree, legend, max tempo run.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
i am playing in the hardest difficulty,and it's more difficult than Ghost'n'Goblins arcade.I am still on the first level lol :D

there is one thing that i don't like is the weapon drop : the weapon don't fall directly on the ground,but bounces towards you,sometime you can't avoid that and you catch the weapon even if you don't want it. :(

On a slightly related note, there is a little known QoL improvement where any dropped weapon (or score item) will disappear after a set amount of time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

One thing that I quite like in this game is how well the skill tree works, and honestly the extra hit on Knight difficulty is very welcome (Legend can wait!). The spells you can get aren't something I use often, but I definitely want to sing the praises of the level 2 version of the frog transformation - its super handy in zone 3 (that darn dark cave) as while it wont get rid of a certain enemy, its so great for the little bastards that can get in your way (like the wizards).

Speaking of which, I did another run on Zone 3 and as expected, cleared it without dying anywhere near as much as previously. I've got it down pretty well now I think - between the frog magic and my Red Aremer strategy I managed to grab almost all of the bees I was missing (just need to find two now, but those can wait).

Definitely a game that puts up one heck of a challenge, but ends up being all the sweeter for it.

Oh, and not quite GnG related, but just curious (as you work for Capcom) if there's any plan to further patch the Capcom Arcade Stadium to fix some of the issues with it - namely some weird frame skipping/FPS drops in all the games. I want to play the collection more, but keep falling off it with the way performance currently is ;(

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
shadowman16 : agreed on all points! Similar to past GnG, it's memorizing the patterns and tells as you die each time. Each time I die, I know why it happened. Why I shouldn't have been jumping willy nilly. Or I could have down-thrust the weapon as I made that jump. And so on :)

I'll have to look into the CAS situation you mention. I've heard from another poster here that it's been brought up to Capcom Japan so at least they're aware.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Very tempted to pick this up, but I just bought P5 Strikers and I'm in the middle of playing Bravely Second to get ready for Bravely Default 2 so I might hold off for later. It's very tempting though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
shadowman16 : agreed on all points! Similar to past GnG, it's memorizing the patterns and tells as you die each time. Each time I die, I know why it happened. Why I shouldn't have been jumping willy nilly. Or I could have down-thrust the weapon as I made that jump. And so on :)

I'll have to look into the CAS situation you mention. I've heard from another poster here that it's been brought up to Capcom Japan so at least they're aware.
Yeah, like past GnG games its very much a game where you have to be careful before committing to attacks, jumps etc. due to Arthurs strict movements. Though once you get it all down you can be very efficient!
I'm still trying to figure out which weapons suit me best... right now I'm using knives (as always) and the crossbow just for the arc the shots get (very useful in zone 3). No weapon really feels all that bad, not even the torch this time! But thanks to the weapon switching upgrade I dont have to worry quite so much about picking weapons up, as long as the knives or lance stays!

That's good to here that Capcom Japan are away of the CAS issues - its a great collection, just needs a little extra polish to fix it and it'll be awesome, I'm loving the challenges that you can do for each game - especially the older games score attack challenges which has me improving more and more and I slowly get better!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Won't be able to get this until I get out of the hospital this weekend, but I'm loving the impressions so far.

Oct 25, 2017

I feel no shame in playing Squire first.
This is the hardest GnG game bar none.

Luckily there are some easy difficulties.
Anything lost in playing Squire besides it being just more forgiving? Any advantages in playing on harder difficulties?

$40 CAD up here so that's a bit of a turn off, but I wouldn't mind supporting this kind of game so whatever

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Anything lost in playing Squire besides it being just more forgiving? Any advantages in playing on harder difficulties?

$40 CAD up here so that's a bit of a turn off, but I wouldn't mind supporting this kind of game so whatever
I haven't messed with Squire yet. I'm a glutton for punishment lol.