• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Man, some of these reviews are GLOWING. Tempting to wait for next-gen, but my schedule is already more than packed. Probably gonna pick it up this week.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Free demo is really fun (played soon as it released). Was hoping for DLSS 2.0 at release but I have the feel it wont have it. I want to get it but still trying to beat two recently released games. But definitely will get it at somepoint

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
was a day one purchase as soon as i played the demo. a cyberpunk, first person, hotline miami is right up my alley. glad it's getting stellar reviews. hope this does well for the team.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Free demo is really fun (played soon as it released). Was hoping for DLSS 2.0 at release but I have the feel it wont have it. I want to get it but still trying to beat two recently released games. But definitely will get it at somepoint
Demo already have dlss 2.1 I think I saw ultra performance option.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds awesome, but I really fear for how well this controls on gamepad. Sounds like the kind of game that becomes immensely frustrating without a M&KB

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Had this on my radar since the last indie game fest, the demo is everything I wanted and more, just needed to review well. So glad! I'm all in for some one hit death cyberpunk ninja action

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Anyone know if there are multiple levels where they take away your mobility options and you just walk/jump? (e.g. the second half of the demo)

I don't want to spend time on this if it's going to be bogged down with walk-and-talk sections, but the reviews I looked at didn't mention it, so I don't know if that level was a one-off or not.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if there are multiple levels where they take away your mobility options and you just walk/jump? (e.g. the second half of the demo)

I don't want to spend time on this if it's going to be bogged down with walk-and-talk sections, but the reviews I looked at didn't mention it, so I don't know if that level was a one-off or not.

There are about
5-6
of those, with different mini puzzles you have to solve, but they are reasonably spaced out and quite short, with some cool visuals. It really wasn't a problem.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
The demo is one of my favorite things I've played this year. Highly recommend grabbing this if you can.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Really liked the demo and glad to see it's getting good reviews. Most likely going to pick it up in the future after beating some other games

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
So I normally don't like melee-focused first-person games, reason why I don't love Skyrim nor play Genji in Overwatch, does this feel any way different than what to expect from a game of this nature?

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks awesome. Might pick this up for my PS5 down the road.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'll play the shit out of this game. So glad it reviewed well. The demo is amazing. Played through it multiple times and haven't got enough.

Also, ultrawide high refresh rate fucking rules for this flashy game

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just started. Gameplay is super hype and nice music. But what's going on with all the screen tearing? Playing on PS4 Pro. Or does it look like that because your vision is somewhat damaged in the beginning? Dude who is talking to you said your current condition is pretty bad. Hmm. Will see.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Just started. Gameplay is super hype and nice music. But what's going on with all the screen tearing? Playing on PS4 Pro. Or does it look like that because your vision is somewhat damaged in the beginning? Dude who is talking to you said your current condition is pretty bad. Hmm. Will see.
Is it 60fps or 30?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Solid reviews but fuck touching anything associated to 3D Realms honestly.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
Worth calling out that this is produced by 3D Realms and developed at least in part by Slipgate Ironworks. See why that is relevant here - https://www.resetera.com/threads/bigoted-devs-part-of-3d-realms'-realms-deep-show.281351/

Lant_War can we get this noted in your OP? I think it is important this note not get buried in the thread.

Thanks for this, I fucked up and missed 3D Realms when I put in a preorder on GMG three weeks ago
I'm hoping my refund request is approved

Edit: Nice, it was. They responded pretty fast.

Last edited:

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Few levels in, it's not stable 60fps anymore. Various dips here and there, feels like somewhere between 30-40fps in some places. And man, the screen tearing is really damn heavy. Same goes for the aliasing. Still a lot of fun, but technically very disappointing. I think it could run much better with more optimisation.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't realize this was 3D Realms before preordering on my PS4.

God damn it.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
See the demo is back up on Steam and gave it a go. Seems right up my alley and I've been wanting a challenging game for a while. Look forward to playing it this weekend!

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Switch performance seems decent in videos but I haven't seen any proper takes on it yet.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Switch performance seems decent in videos but I haven't seen any proper takes on it yet.

It's possible the game got low-key delayed at the last second for Switch, considering the dev is promoting every version of the game but that one and there's not even an eShop page for it yet (which I've honestly never seen happen with a game less than 24 hours away from release). I also saw some people asking the dev about the Switch release on Twitter and those comments are pretty much the only ones they chose to not reply to so that's also a little suspect.

I hope I'm full of shit, though. The game looks really fun and the one video I found seemed like it was on the way to being a good port all things considered.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
playing on a PS4 pro and it looks like a 540p game. It's so bad, I'm in the 3rd level I think.

Also tons of screen tearing as was mentioned previously in the thread.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
playing on a PS4 pro and it looks like a 540p game. It's so bad, I'm in the 3rd level I think.

Also tons of screen tearing as was mentioned previously in the thread.

Yeah, there is something seriously wrong with the resolution/all the aliasing. Maybe they accidentally released the switch version in handheld mode on PS4, lol.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot to like here, but... I really wish they handled difficulty differently. It's not even that the game is too hard - and a lot of the frustration is salved by instant respawns - but that it stuffs this incredibly expressive and kinetic movement system into a straitjacket. There's no room for improvisation or subtlety, or advancing by the skin of your teeth with quick thinking. You have to do the 20-second segments in exactly the same way until you learn the muscle memory to advance.

I guess that works for Super Meat Boy or Hotline Miami, but I would have much preferred difficulty that looks like Hollow Knight's.