• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
So the Switch version has the least amount of issues? Odd but at least that's the version I went with. Up to the library and so far everything has been fine. No glitches, no frame rate problems, and the game looks good in everything except the cut scenes.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Got Switch physical at EB games (Canada) ; I noticed download on eshop is only 3.3GB and it shows with the low res pre-rendered cutscenes, but everything else runs great. seems to be 1080/720p 30fps docked/portable

The real star is the original cast here (i played the game in 2009 briefly so it's still mostly brand new to me). I'm less enthused about the gameplay. It's way to easy to fail missions and I end up having to repeat segments of the missions trying to figure out what to do next. The aut-save does help though as backtracking is minimal, but the game wants to be an action shooter when you dont control like that.

The best parts are when you're fighting and capturing ghosts. Worst parts so far for me are when they swarm you with innane stuff like marshmallow minions or candelabras while your madly trying to figure out where to go next.

The UI is also showing its age, as its not easy to spot fallen comrades to revive them. A solid B- type game that is lifted by the amazing license, good port job and voice acting.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
So the Switch version has the least amount of issues? Odd but at least that's the version I went with. Up to the library and so far everything has been fine. No glitches, no frame rate problems, and the game looks good in everything except the cut scenes.
What's wrong with the cut scenes? Are they pre-rendered FMVs with bad compression?

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened to me. I left it in the main menu for a bit and then it worked. I assume it was installing without letting you know it was.

It's probably installing something in background.
Yep, that's what happened. I uninstalled it, then reinstalled the game and went off to have dinner. I left the game on the main menu but turned off the TV. I came back and started it up and had no problems. So dumb. The game "installs" super quick when you out the disc in. Is it so hard to state it's still installing on the main menu?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So the pc version is really the same game as it was originally released? No new changes or features or anything/

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Yep can confirm it's 0% different or remastered. I could tell when they announced it how they only showed cg cutscenes but stillI had fools hope.

At least it runs smooth on switch, while this developer should be called out for bullshit work, on flipsideI can play Ghostbusters in bed.
From this video comparing the PC original to the remaster, it does look like some textures were upscaled, but very few. The ones that were certainly don't look like they were upscaled using something like gigapixel, but there are some slight improvements, honestly though if the textures were able to be modded any community AI upscaling pack would likely look 10x better.

The AA implementation is quite strong in the remaster as well, but it does cut down on the pixel shimmering which was quite bad in the original - a sharpening filter would help quite a lot I would think.
So the pc version is really the same game as it was originally released? No new changes or features or anything/

I always thought I had this in my Steam library, but after a while hunting for it yesterday I realized I never did, confusing it with the X360 version I played via BC on the Xbox One.

Seeing some of the comments here on the remaster, I wasn't too persuaded to pay the premium for such a rush job, nonetheless on the EGS. So a quick Dorito search popped up that the original PC release was still available digitally via Amazon for under $10. It has to authenticate initially to validate the license key, but confirmed those servers are still up and working.

So, I saved $15 and didn't have to give Epic a dime. ;)

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From this video comparing the PC original to the remaster, it does look like some textures were upscaled, but very few. The ones that were certainly don't look like they were upscaled using something like gigapixel, but there are some slight improvements, honestly though if the textures were able to be modded any community AI upscaling pack would likely look 10x better.

The AA implementation is quite strong in the remaster as well, but it does cut down on the pixel shimmering which was quite bad in the original - a sharpening filter would help quite a lot I would think.

While TAA does help, I could run this game at 4K downsampling even with a GTX970 which is far superior than the blur inducing TAA.

This is a half assed remaster if I've ever seen one, certainly up there with one of the worst.

Oct 27, 2017
So, I just got the platinum. Feels good, man, especially after how that shitty multiplayer screwed me out of the PS3 one ten years back.

My notes:

This game in 4K on PS4 Pro was badass. The frame rate was smooth for about 95% of the time, IIRC looking better than the PC Steam port. It's super weird seeing the GC cutscenes in such poor condition (I remember the GOW Collection team saying such is super hard to restore and clean up). The in-game cutscenes looked decent, save for some weird stuttering with the character models or the background (check the bricked walls during this - the lines jump)

Still, it was great to replay this classic again, Sure, a lot needs to be fixed, patch wise, but well worth the $30.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Had a crash on the PS4 version that restarted the console. Then on the same level, second to last, I had a cutscene with no picture but the sound was playing. That one happened on both playthroughs.

Got the plat now so I'll be selling it on. The game was still decent but this was a definite quick and cheap remaster.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Loved this game on PS3, they did a great job of making a sequel in game form.

Just got back from watching the original movie at the cinema (35th anniversary limited re-release) still a brilliant movie and it was great being able to see it on the big screen. It's made me want to play this game again, might have to buy the remaster now.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The EZA review indicated that this game can get unreasonably hard.

Thoughts?

I played in experienced difficulty, basically the equivalent of 'normal' or the middle setting and I died multiple times on set pieces because the game sometimes swarms you with enemies and expect you to figure out how to proceed next. (usually killing enough mobs to trigger the next part of the mission or just booking it to the next checkpoint)

It's my biggest gripe with the game.

It's an unecessary padding to extend playtime.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017

Thoughts?

I think it only gets hard during one point in the game, fucking cherubs. But the rest was pretty easy on normal for the most part especially when you have bought all upgrades for the streams. Outside of the cherub incident I probably died twice in the rest of the game.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Thoughts?

It can be a slog on Professional because your teammates go down constantly and you have to go revive them. But I'm on the next-to-last level playing a few hours a day, so it's not too rough. I'd imagine Normal is much easier. There are some weird spikes where you get stuck until you figure out the trick to a certain boss etc.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

Thoughts?

Yes, that sounds about right and I say that as a big fan of the game. Having to defend yourself with slow movement speed from quick blind-spot attacks is frustrating and then you add on top of having to babysit your fellow Ghostbusters, it really sours the experience. This thankfully only happens a few times in the game.

I think this could've been avoided by offering a stat upgrade system in addition to your weapon upgrades. Like, a "Ectoplasm-Resistant Suit" or something to buff you and your AI partners's defense.

Anyway, I'm still debating whether to pick this up on PS4 or Switch. Switch seems to be the most stable port (not to mention the portability factor) but man, I'd like to have 60fps...

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Damn, this is already out? I feel like there have never been more games to play at one time...Just impossible to keep up! Think I'll have to wait a few months on it.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Wii version was almost a complete different game, and had better gameplay, but some reviewer back than did not like the cartoons graphics.

I dunno about better gameplay. I remember the game getting pretty repetitive towards the end and I actually had it straight-up crash on me two times during the final battle.

I did like how the story played out a bit in some parts in that version, though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about better gameplay. I remember the game getting pretty repetitive towards the end and I actually had it straight-up crash on me two times during the final battle.

I did like how the story played out a bit in some parts in that version, though.

Motion controls I think was the 'better gameplay'. I never played the Wii version but the SwitchUp review mentioned their disappointment the Switch version did not marry the motion controls in since the Switch has Joycon pointers.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii version was almost a complete different game, and had better gameplay, but some reviewer back than did not like the cartoony graphics.
I made a post with all the differences, the Wii version isn't just cartoony, it is chopped up, censored and missing significant content.

For those who missed it

The Wii version was worse in every way with only one positive not on other systems, the local co-op. But then it lacked the MP of the HD versions.

There were numerous cuts to the Wii version, with levels drastically cut in size and scope, and made into much more simplistic layouts. Some levels are missing, or have entire areas missing. As a result some scenes are missing or made shorter. Also to pad out these smaller, shorter areas it tried to add puzzles, but really it was just backtracking for fetch quests. Certain ghosts were censored and made less horrific (in addition to the cartoony art style change). Certain creepy/spooky stuff was removed. Some bosses were removed, others changed to stuff that was not lore friendly and also just worse designed battles. I think some weapons were removed too.

The general gameplay of ghost catching was pretty much the same, just with some button pressed swapped for motion controls. Plus less weapon variety.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
So just finished it, and I don't know how I managed to miss this the first time in my playthrough 10 years ago but...
During the credits, was that suppose to be a sequel hook? Cause I kind of want one now.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
When you finish the game on Normal you unlock Ghostbusters II's flight suite. And when you finish on Hard, you unlock the gold Proton Pack. There is a weird bug with GB2's flight suit though (at least on PS4). It shows the classic logo on top of GB2's logo (I took a screenshot showing said bug):

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the Xbox One/PS4 copies in. I also got an email from Gamestop saying if I trade them in by 10/10, I will get $60 in store credit. /shrugs. I guess I'll return one of them, get the credit, and buy two more?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Xbox One/PS4 copies in. I also got an email from Gamestop saying if I trade them in by 10/10, I will get $60 in store credit. /shrugs. I guess I'll return one of them, get the credit, and buy two more?
If you don't have the Switch version, get that.

OP
OP
A Ream of Paper
Apr 8, 2018
Anyone know how and/or when you can switch into the Ghostbusters 2 outfit? I just completed the game on Experienced difficulty and started up a new game on Professional difficulty. Can't seem to find anywhere you can change it.

Edit: I found out how. So weird you can only equip it on the main menu.

Last edited:

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Finally sat down and watched the two movies yesterday and started the game last night. Gonna be honest here, since I got it on switch and don't need to impress anyone with trophies I'm playing on casual as I'm basically just looking for an entertaining October experience and not a challenge.
Finished the Sedgewick hotel in my first play session and I'm remembering how much fun I had when this first came out. Excited to keep going with it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm in trophy mop up mode now. Hope that the multiplayer mode isn't too far out (and that it has crossplay).

OP
OP
A Ream of Paper
Apr 8, 2018
Updates for the PC and Xbox One versions were released today. PS4 update is coming soon.

List of issues fixed:
Xbox fixed issues:

- Sound of Rookie's breath remains during the cutscene
- Empty spaces are observed on PKE meter
- Controller disconnection pop-up does not appear if it's disconnected in any pause menu submenu
- Venkman's chair doesn't have collision
- Title softlocked and terminated after several constrains
- Cutscene is freezing after User returns from suspend mode
- Title softlocked on a cutscene with Sargassi in Hotel Sedgewick
- Main menu flickers when returning to title after "connected standby" mode
- Too long loading time observed during the game
- Proton Pack type selector is displayed within cutscenes
- User can use PKE during cutscene
- Interaction with sphere is disrupted if there is a placed ghost trap
- Cutscene does not stop after switch user profile
- The title displays graphical corruption and crashes to the Xbox Home screen when the user signs out of and then back into the active Xbox profile at the initial interactive state
- Title can accept input from secondary controller
- Options from first User affected to second User

PC fixed issues:

- Fix for savegame not loading correctly if using a path with special characters
- Fix for green screen in main menu on some graphics cards.
- Minor bug fixes

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
My Switch version just updated to 1.2. Guessing that's just the same patch as above the other systems got last week or so.

Edit: Oh here are notes from the Facebook page.

- Proton Pack type selector is displayed within cutscenes
- Title softlocked on a cutscene with Sargassi in Hotel Sedgewick
- Venkman's chair doesn't have collision
- Background video lags and accelerates
- Empty spaces are observed on the PKE meter
- Sound of Rookie's breath remains during the cutscene
- Fix for wrong date displaying in resume game screen

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
I will only buy this port if they actually release the multiplayer mode. I have a feeling that that's not going to happen though, and that it will quietly get forgotten about.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
This got another bug fix patch today. Good to know it's still being worked on. Hopefully that multi mode will show up soon.