• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Ghostbuster?

• Peter Venkman

• Raymond Stantz

• Egon Spengler

• Winston Zeddemore

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 8, 2018
Kinda late and didn't see a thread on it, but today marks 35 years since Ghostbusters premiered in theaters on June 8, 1984 (in the United States at least). I'm rewatching it right now, and I'd say it's one of my favorite comedies of all time. I'm way too young to have seen it in theaters all the way back in '84, but I was lucky to see it at a Fathom Events screening about 3 years ago. Pretty cool experience.

Anyone have memories of seeing it in theaters back when it came out? Favorite scenes? Favorite quotes? Favorite Ghostbuster related memories?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The ghosts getting broken out of the containment system when I was a child always use to freak me out, specifically the zombie cab driver and the ghost that has scythe arms that cackles.

One of my favorites, holds up incredibly well today

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of shit in the 80s but man we got some cool and original stuff too.

Wish Hollywood still tried new things like they did back in the day.

As for the OP I only ever liked Peter and Egon.
Also the cartoon was great (at least in my memory).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The OW for Ghostbusters was kinda weak, but it had one of the GOAT legs after that.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Egon was my favorite in the movie but Winston was my favorite in the show.

Arsenio the GOAT

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Back off, man, I'm a scientist.

Didn't see it in cinema as I wasn't born yet, but watched all the time on TV and VHS. Still one of my favourite movies. Egon is my favourite. Also, the blu-ray is fantastic.

The ghosts getting broken out of the containment system when I was a child always use to freak me out, specifically the zombie cab driver and the ghost that has scythe arms that cackles.

One of my favorites, holds up incredibly well today
Yeah lol, zombie cab driver scared me too as a child. Always dreaded that scene.

One of my earliest memories of Ghostbusters in general is that terrible Ghostbusters Master System game with the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man slowly walking around the city. Had no idea what I was doing.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any particularly strong memories of seeing it in the theater, I just know I loved it and I'm sure I went back to see it several times. I do know it was the very first movie I ever owned. Our family had just recently got a VCR and the very first thing I wanted was a Ghostbusters VHS I'd seen at Wal-Mart, or maybe K-mart. I've still got the tape around here somewhere.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't see the first one in the theater since I was born in 85, but I did see the 2nd one there

Oct 26, 2017
One of the first movies I ever saw in theatres . Scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Today one of my favorite movies of all time. Bring on that 4K disc

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The scene with the eggs frying on the countertop in Dana's apartment has some of the most satiafying bubbling sound effects I have ever heard in a movie.

Actually all of the sound design in this movie is incredible

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite movie of all time. I watched it so many times when I was a kid and wanted to be a Ghostbuster when I grew up.

Hopefully the upcoming movie is goid but I'm not holding my breath. At the very least I think they'll have a much better understanding of the type of comedy Ghostbuster is unlike the remake.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The scene with the eggs frying on the countertop in Dana's apartment has some of the most satiafying bubbling sound effects I have ever heard in a movie.

Actually all of the sound design in this movie is incredible

Yeah I think the sound in general is one of the things that gives the movie the "creepy" vibe it has despite being a comedy (I never considered it a straight comedy because it could be legit creepy. At least to me as a kid. The library intro, and the apartment scene where Dana gets taken by the chair-arms scared the crap out of kid me)

mrpoopy

Oct 27, 2017
I would rent this on VHS all the time as a kid.

Video rental dude: You know you already rented this movie a couple of times.

8 year old me:
MiRlCee.gif

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I actually enjoyed the cartoon more than the movies. I'm pretending Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters didn't exist.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had the good fortune to see a 35mm screening on Halloween 1999 in an old theater that they opened for the occasion (it had been closed long before). There was no real internet, so we just happened to be walking by and popped in.

Fun fact: That screening was closer to the original release than it is to today. Time to feel old.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone ever play that last gen Ghostbusters game?

Wasn't that based on the Ghostbusters 3 script that could never get off the ground?

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Time flies it seems like only yesterday when they were promoting the 30th anniversary release on blu-ray!

Classic movie, I should watch it more often than I do (watched GB 1 & 2 during the Christmas break in 2018.... first time I watched both movies in full for years!). I remember the first time I watched the dvd and I preferred the full screen vhs version (to me the special effects looked better old school, rather than on today's media).

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I was born in '82 so seeing this in theaters was out of the question.

I love Ghostbusters dearly. It's from an era when Italian dubs were still allowed creativity in spite of lip synch, so the quotes are just as memorable as they're in English, even more in some cases. Pity the "This man has no dick" quote got lost in translation.

I've seen the movie way less times than it deserves.
And whoa, that trailer. Incredible how trailers left something to imagination and surprise back then.

KrebStar

Oct 28, 2017
When I was a kid, maybe 5 or 6, my dad woke me up at 3am one night, threw me in the car, and took me downtown to see someone's replica Ecto-1 that was parked outside of a motel. I probably spent a good half an hour just staring at it before we had to head home.

Kind of funny how something so simple ended up being my favorite childhood memory.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

Accompanied by his father Ivan Reitman, filmmaker Jason Reitman revealed alternate takes, outtakes and other never-before-seen, lost Ghostbusters footage from the original production dailies. The original film footage was apparently sitting in a mine in Kansas, but they tracked it down and cut together some of the best bits to reveal at Ghostbusters Fan Fest. Plus, an off-the-cuff remark from Jason Reitman indicated that this unearthed new footage was serving another mysterious purpose.

Below, you can watch the full panel, complete with the footage itself and commentary from both of the Reitmans.

Since everything was running behind, the panel started abruptly, but before the video starts, Jason Reitman asked Ivan Reitman if he had any life advice to throw his way. So here you go:

For those interested, here are the timestamps where you can find just the bits with the lost Ghostbusters footage:

• First Sequence: 1:23
  • Second Sequence: 5:19
  • Third Sequence: 13:12
  • Fourth Sequence: 18:23
  • Fifth Sequence: 20:29

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
^what in the hell were Ghostbusters dailies doing in a mine?! It's not like this is a silent movie where studios were throwng shit away without thinking about it, this movie is from the 80s!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, seeing Ivan cry like that is so sad. Can you imagine doing this and remembering (and seeing) stuff from a close friend that you haven't seen in over thirty years. Also, this footage was searched for another reason? Please tell me some of it end in Ghostbusters 3, that'd be amazing!

^what in the hell were Ghostbusters dailies doing in a mine?! It's not like this is a silent movie where studios were throwng shit away without thinking about it, this movie is from the 80s!
Like said in the post above me, (salt) mines are still used to store film material. The problem is that very often it's documented very poorly which leads to a ton of stuff being lost over time and at times being (re)discovered by pure coincidence. A bunch of years ago they found the original premiere scenes from 2001 A Space Odyssey in a salt mine by accident.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Maybe that footage is how Econ could be worked into Ghostbusters 3? Or would that be too disrespectful?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Winston is my favorite Ghostbuster and always was. Just a working class guy doing his job.