• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Sony Wins Again At The Independence Day Box Office, This Year With The Reissue Of 1984’s ‘Ghostbusters’

Last year, Sony ruled the July 4 box office frame with Marvel's Spider-Man: Far From Home. It won this year too with 1984's Ghostbusters.

EXCLUSIVE: Last year, Sony ruled the Independence Day box office frame with Marvel's Spider-Man: Far From Home, and this year the studio again can tout that it won the holiday period with their reissue of the 1984 classic Ghostbusters, which grossed $550,000 over the three-day weekend, and $656K since its re-opening July 1.

And if you want to get technical, it's been 36 years since Ghostbusters rode atop the weekend box office, the last time being September 14-16, 1984. It was also the second time that Ghostbusters ruled an Independence Day frame at the B.O, with the Columbia Pictures release having won both June 29-July 1 and the July 6-8 period that year, according to Box Office Mojo. The movie opened on June 8 of that year to $13.6M at 1,339 theaters, and it stayed at the top spot for seven weeks straight, with another three No. 1 wins (for a total of 10 weeks at No. 1).

the top 10:
1..Ghostbusters (Sony) 622 theaters, 3-day: $550K, 5-day: $656K/lifetime cume: $243.2M/Wk no. 1 of re-release

2…Jumanji: The Next Level (Sony) 220 (+139) theaters, 3-day: $300K (+230%), lifetime cume: $317.3M/wk. 30

3. Relic (IFC) 69 theaters, 3-day: $282,6K/Wk 1

4..Jurassic Park (Uni) 252 (+20) theaters, 3-day: $235K (+24%),lifetime cume: $404.7M /wk no. 1,413

5..Jaws (Uni) 219 theaters (+56), 3-day: $195K (+57%), lifetime cume: $264.2M/wk. no. 2,351

6..Deadpool (20th) 327 theaters, 3-day: $193K, lifetime cume: $363.1M/wk no. 230

7. Jungle Book (Dis) 392 theaters, 3-day: $171K, lifetime cume: $364.1M/wk no. 221

8…Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Dis), 3-day: $123K, lifetime cume: $936.7M/wk no. 238

9..The Hunt (Uni) 109 (+13) theaters, 3-day: $111K (-26%), cume: $10.6M (revised)/Wk 17

10..My Spy (AMZ) 104 theaters 3-day: $107K, cume: $4.3M/lifetime cume: $307K/Wk 3 [includes $200K Canadian release money from before COVID-19 shutdown].

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Where are these cinemas showing Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, and Jaws?! Seen previous re-releases of these in cinemas but I'd love to do it again.

I'm a strong believer in cinemas constantly having classic films in rotation alongside new releases. Shame a lot of studios are steadily being against it and holding the films to home media markets; generations of people should get the opportunity to see these films in theaters.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Not too surprising. I really hope the drive-in thing sticks around after the pandemic.

Oct 25, 2017
Where are these cinemas showing Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, and Jaws?! Seen previous re-releases of these in cinemas but I'd love to do it again.

I'm a strong believer in cinemas constantly having classic films in rotation alongside new releases. Shame a lot of studios are steadily being against it and holding the films to home media markets; generations of people should get the opportunity to see these films in theaters.
I was so happy I got to see Jurassic Park for its 20th. The 3D wasn't bad and the effects still held up on the big screen. I definitely agree, rereleases are great, but the economics I don't think make much sense under normal circumstances. Studios are spending hundreds of millions on tent poles, I can't image rereleases wouldn't drop their per screen average.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
1XVcFKMNgoIJ-BipqMO6lJ9JZRk9mhyfLRJowCqKPx8xvDE0sX6e5iWV66WeWY7ih2ie2V1VmilYOA1O69MY16PAank4DLmg

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017

All 3 of Ghostbusters, Jaws, & Jurassic Park have been playing at the drive-in here. I imagine a decent amount of screens listed above are represented by whatever drive-in's are left.

Nov 1, 2017
I would kill to see Jaws on the big screen, the theater here has re opened with limited seating but it's still showing limited screening of stuff like Bloodshot and Sonic.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

We have drive ins near here playing classics right now. I know ET and Jurassic Park are playing. Hadn't heard of Ghostbusters recently but it wouldn't surprise me. Other old but recent movies like Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Shazam! too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be another one of these silly box office threads.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

The last of the drive-ins are seeing a Renaissance.

At 70, the Ford-Wyoming Drive-In in Dearborn deserves respect just for its seniority. But now it's got another kudo: top-grossing movie theater in the country over the weekend.

www.freep.com

Report: Ford-Wyoming Drive-In was top-grossing movie theater in nation over weekend

The Ford Wyoming Drive-In in Dearborn was the top grosser among theaters open in pandemic, according to Deadline.

And they're showing Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a funny headline to see. Guess the drive-ins can operate safely for the most part. Would be interesting if this causes a step toward a resurgence once this is all over, unlikely as it is.

There's some group/program called Flashback Cinema that seemingly does this, almost like a Fathom Events sort of deal. They only seem to be partnered with smaller chains though. I've been to one theater relatively close by that took part and it was always advertising the latest lineup/schedule during the previews. Probably not nearly as profitable to do wide releases like this though, and I'm guessing the big chains aren't as interested in giving up screen space for these kinds of deals either.