• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the originals. This matches the tone of the 80's very well. Stranger Things deliberately lifted this style from these types of movies from the 80's, like Explorers, ET, and Ghostbusters. Kid Ghostbusters? While the role of children was limited in the originals (it was an SNL party), the style of children meddling competently in the traditional role of adults is textbook 80's film making. I have no doubt that the kids, aided by Paul's character, as well as the original survivers, will play a part in defeating the bad guys, but I don't see how this is a bad thing. Count me amongst those of us confused by the negatives reactions.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
That Finn Wolfhart kid is everywhere. Certainly the most successful Stranger Things kid of the bunch, no?
He's mostly done VA stuff since Stranger Things, outside of IT and Ghostbusters. I think Millie Bobby Brown is probably the more successful of the group?

I dunno though, fuck, one gets to be in Godzilla movies and the other gets to be a Ghostbuster, I'm envious of them both ;__;

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
He's mostly done VA stuff since Stranger Things, outside of IT and Ghostbusters. I think Millie Bobby Brown is probably the more successful of the group?

I dunno though, fuck, one gets to be in Godzilla movies and the other gets to be a Ghostbuster, I'm envious of them both ;__;

As far as overused child actors go, McKenna Grace is going to have them beat: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5085683/

She hasn't had leading roles like them, but I'm sure that will come with age.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a teaser. Rewatch The Force awakens teaser, it's the same playbook. Did you see any of the old faces? Nope, the only familiar face you see is the falcon.

I only mentioned the old faces in the context that when they do appear, they should ostensibly be funny.

I think the whole point of the trailer is to emphasize that egon is dead, the ghostbusters have been done for 30 years, there's something strange in this neighborhood, and egon's grandkids stumble across all this gear and have no idea what it is. It's not supposed to be funny. That comes later

I guess I just don't think it's as normal as you do that a trailer for a comedy film would have zero laughs. It's not exactly the norm to do a trailer for, like, a horror film, and not make the movie look scary. I know Ghostbusters is somewhat unique, but last I checked trailers are still supposed to give you some kind of impression of what the film is going to be like. Is that not what we want as consumers?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I guess I just don't think it's as normal as you do that a trailer for a comedy film would have zero laughs. It's not exactly the norm to do a trailer for, like, a horror film, and not make the movie look scary. I know Ghostbusters is somewhat unique, but last I checked trailers are still supposed to give you some kind of impression of what the film is going to be like. Is that not what we want as consumers?

Guess they can't win either way.

Show a teaser, people complain about not seeing enough. Show lots of footage and people complain they are spoiling everything.....

I prefer "don't show too much and leave the surprises for the actual film" way of doing things personally.

But people really should know how trailers work these days. 1st trailer is a teaser. 2nd trailer shows a bit more, Final trailer shows even more + a few TV spots with new footage too.

I'm sure the other trailers will change some people's first impressions.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I've just rewatched several times and I swear the ghost screaming coming from the mine is used in the 1990s IT whenever a balloon bursts which could be a nod to Finn Wolfhard.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know if "Ghostbusters Junior Kids: The Movie" can hold up for a full 90-120 minute run time, but at the same time the 80s fratboy-movie with top tier SNL actors is a formula that can't be replicated either I don't think. Not without Harold Ramis, not in the dynamic and the OG cast now all in their 70s.

So trying the make "Ghostbusters III" would be a folly move, they can't make that movie, if they wanted to make that movie they needed to make it 18-20 years ago. And even the O.G. cast could not come close to capturing the lightning in a bottle feel of the original with Ghostbusters 2.

That said the longer international trailer kinda raised my concerns about this being too much of a "kiddie movie". The thing with Stranger Things is the monsters are really quite dark and at least initially scary, but Ghosbusters ghosts often are kinda silly, and we already see the kids running around chasing some kind Slimer like ghost (and driving too I guess) ... like I dunno if a big chunk of the film being that really is going to work that well.

I did like the general tone of the trailer though, obviously they are going Stranger Things, but this looks like a lighter version of Stranger Things.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know if "Ghostbusters Junior Kids: The Movie" can hold up for a full 90-120 minute run time, but at the same time the 80s fratboy-movie with top tier SNL actors is a formula that can't be replicated either I don't think. Not without Harold Ramis, not in the dynamic and the OG cast now all in their 70s.

So trying the make "Ghostbusters III" would be a folly move, they can't make that movie, if they wanted to make that movie they needed to make it 18-20 years ago. And even the O.G. cast could not come close to capturing the lightning in a bottle feel of the original with Ghostbusters 2.

That said the longer international trailer kinda raised my concerns about this being too much of a "kiddie movie". The thing with Stranger Things is the monsters are really quite dark and at least initially scary, but Ghosbusters ghosts often are kinda silly, and we already see the kids running around chasing some kind Slimer like ghost (and driving too I guess) ... like I dunno if a big chunk of the film being that really is going to work that well.

I did like the general tone of the trailer though, obviously they are going Stranger Things, but this looks like a lighter version of Stranger Things.
Part of the reason why they couldn't recapture the lighting in a bottle feel of the first movie with Ghostbusters II was that they weren't really allowed to. With the success of the first movie and The Real Ghostbusters series, IIRC Sony rushed GBII into production and demanded it be made more in line with the cartoon so it could appeal to wider audiences. Given that Dan Aykroyd has been working on Ghostbusters 3, 4, 5, and 6 script ideas for the past 30 years, I HOPE they've had enough time to come up with a solid story this go around. (Although to argue against myself, Evolution is basically Ghostbusters with aliens and it follows the *exact same* structure as GB1 and 2 lol)

I dunno if I really agree that Ghostbusters ghosts are silly though, I feel like that really only applies to Slimer and maybe the Scolari Brothers. Library Ghost still freaks me out and definitely isn't silly (and even has an old ghostly tiddy flopping out), Terror Dogs are creepy (and we apparently see the foot of one in this trailer), Gozer is creepy looking, Vigo in his monster form is nightmarish, and to this day I still look away during the subway scene in GBII with the severed heads. The only silly looking ghosts IMO come from Answer the Call. And of course the very not scary lady ghost that gives Ray a blowie.

Also, Finn's character is a 16 year old who's apparently a gear head and super into cars, so that's how they're able to have kids driving in it. I dunno if it depends on the state but usually kids start driving around then, or at least they can get their learners permits at that age here in California?

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
The only thing that's really making me scratch my head is the ages of the mom and kids in relation to Egon... Like, he has no wife or kids in 1989, Coon was born in 81. Finn is 16 and Grace is 13. It works just fine if Egon had a daughter already in 1981, but having a kid in 1990 at the earliest means she's only 30 in the movie and has a 16 year old... uhhh that doesn't check out unless some really fucked up shit happened to her.

Now... I would not put it past them to spin this a bit and say that Egon (being a scientist and all) donated sperm in the late 70's early 80's for some comical reason that Ray explains to us. Then Carrie's character finds out her dad is Egon after he dies and he leaves his property to her.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if I really agree that Ghostbusters ghosts are silly though, I feel like that really only applies to Slimer and maybe the Scolari Brothers. Library Ghost still freaks me out and definitely isn't silly (and even has an old ghostly tiddy flopping out), Terror Dogs are creepy (and we apparently see the foot of one in this trailer), Gozer is creepy looking, Vigo in his monster form is nightmarish, and to this day I still look away during the subway scene in GBII with the severed heads. The only silly looking ghosts IMO come from Answer the Call. And of course the very not scary lady ghost that gives Ray a blowie.
Don't forget the taxi ghost. Freaked me out when I was little.
215976.jpg

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that's really making me scratch my head is the ages of the mom and kids in relation to Egon... Like, he has no wife or kids in 1989, Coon was born in 81. Finn is 16 and Grace is 13. It works just fine if Egon had a daughter already in 1981, but having a kid in 1990 at the earliest means she's only 30 in the movie and has a 16 year old... uhhh that doesn't check out unless some really fucked up shit happened to her.

Now... I would not put it past them to spin this a bit and say that Egon (being a scientist and all) donated sperm in the late 70's early 80's for some comical reason that Ray explains to us. Then Carrie's character finds out her dad is Egon after he dies and he leaves his property to her.
It's entirely possible that Egon was just a shitty dad. He's not exactly made out to be an angel in the movies, "Let's see what happens when we take away the puppy" in GBII and fucking the Mood Slime, trying to drill a hole in his own head, etc. Jeanine is clearly super into him and he ignores all her advances too, maybe he was married or recently divorced and they just never explored the characters enough in either film for it to come up. That's one of the things that Answer the Call did better than the original movies IMO, since it took place over a shorter period of time they focused a lot more on the characters. Erin had an entire plotline [it's in the extended version, cutting it out fucked up a lot of the movie] about the weirdo dude she was dating, for example.

Don't forget the taxi ghost. Freaked me out when I was little.
215976.jpg
I actually listed the taxi zombie but thought that he was too small a part so I deleted it lmao. Lego thought he was important enough to put in the Firehouse HQ set though, I shoulda left it in my post! Yeah he's super gross. There's also that giant monster ghost thing that crawls through that arch, and all the souls filing out of the Titanic. And even in the cartoon the Boogie Man is scary as fuck. They made Slimer friendly and lovable with the cartoon and his cameo in GBII but he's honestly pretty gross too and I wouldn't be surprised if kids were scared of him back in the day. It's ridiculous when I watch it now but when I was 5 and seeing GBII in theaters with my parents the slime blob in the bath tub scared the living shit out of me.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Ummmm... Maybe the dad was Egon's son? Without knowing anything about the dad, it's hard to speculate ages for anyone and their relationships.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish we get a sorta take on this theme. Everybody tends to focus on the Ray Parker Jr. theme song, but I'd say this one, as far as the score is concerned, was just as memorable in what I think of when I think of "Ghostbusters":

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
The tone of the trailer seems off for a Ghostbusters movie.
I think it's because they're not trying to make the same movie as the first two. Those times have passed and they know they can't capture that again. They need to do something different and I'm here for the modern take on it. My guess is that the next trailer will feature some of the OG cast in it and will have more of the humor from the original movies.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... what? I'm pretty sure Egon is the grandfather that passed away in this.
The current working theory is

Egon has a kid
Egon's kid has kids (Egon's grandkids)
Grandkids taken to farm by their mother after losing their home in Chicago

We don't yet know when Egon's death happens - before his grandkids are born or after, or how well he knew his own kid, if his kid was the mom or the dad, if he purposefully kept the GB stuff from them or they just didn't know because he had died, what happened to the grandkid's dad, etc

It's entirely possible that Egon was a deadbeat dad, weather it was on purpose or not (IE was he just so consumed by his work he was never there or did he purposefully keep his distance)

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
The implication is that if he wasn't an absent father, then his daughter was a teenaged mother.
The current working theory is

Egon has a kid
Egon's kid has kids (Egon's grandkids)
Grandkids taken to farm by their mother after losing their home in Chicago

We don't yet know when Egon's death happens - before his grandkids are born or after, or how well he knew his own kid, if his kid was the mom or the dad, if he purposefully kept the GB stuff from them or they just didn't know because he had died, what happened to the grandkid's dad, etc

It's entirely possible that Egon was a deadbeat dad, weather it was on purpose or not (IE was he just so consumed by his work he was never there or did he purposefully keep his distance)

None of that spells dead-beat dad!

Egon could have gone into other Research/Science after the all the ghost disappeared.
He has a kid.
Raises reasonably well adjusted kid.
The kid grows up, moves away to have life of his/her own.
Egon retires to a farm in the middle of nowhere to continue his ghost research. Away from the prying eyes of federal regulators and people who would raise an eyebrow at him having portable nuclear accelerators.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

Egon could have gone into other Research/Science after the all the ghost disappeared. Had a kid, raised reasonably well adjusted kid. The kid grows up, moves away to have life of his/her own. Egon retires to a farm in the middle of nowhere to continue his ghost research. Away from the prying eyes of federal regulators and people who would raise an eyebrow at him having portable nuclear accelerators.
If he raised said reasonably well adjusted kid, the reasonably well adjusted kid had a baby at 15.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

Egon could have gone into other Research/Science after the all the ghost disappeared.
He has a kid.
Raises reasonably well adjusted kid.
The kid grows up, moves away to have life of his/her own.
Egon retires to a farm in the middle of nowhere to continue his ghost research. Away from the prying eyes of federal regulators and people who would raise an eyebrow at him having portable nuclear accelerators.
I'm not the one saying he's a deadbeat dad to begin with I was just pointing out how it could be without making him a huge piece of shit like the other poster was feeling. There's an air of "his kids/grandkids have zero clue about Ghostbusters" at work here which means he either kept it from them or died before they could find out. Given what's in the trailer at least, it seems that his grandkids never knew him, and if their mom was his daughter, it seems like she didn't know about any of it either (though she could have, and she kept it from her kids too)

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Hollywood isn't real life. I find it much more likely they'd go the deadbeat dad route than the teenaged mom route.

You don't know when Egon had his child, or what kind of relationship he had with the mother, or what his daughter thinks of him. There's a million different conclusions you can draw based on the very limited information we have so I'm not sure why your first thought is Jason Reitman making Harold Ramis' character a deadbeat dad in a movie all about his reverence and love for this IP.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's the first trailer so I won't be too hard on it but... meh. I'll still see it in the theater opening weekend but I'm feeling blaise so far

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood isn't real life.
No shit!? If that's the case then that means Egon isn't a real person and making him a deadbeat dad isn't some slap in the face to Harold Ramis the actual human being. :O

Y'know there's a third option that none of us have brought up, it could straight up be a continuity error. Which is the worst option of them all ):

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Exclusive: Hanging With Bill Murray on the Set of Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Ever since the new project was announced a year ago, fans have wondered if the stars of the earlier films would return, and tidbits of news have been leaking out sideways. Murray was definitely on the set at various times during that week last fall, as were Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson, reprising their respective roles as Peter Venkman, Ray Stantz, and Winston Zeddemore. Also visiting the location during those days were Annie Potts the long-suffering receptionist Janine Melnitz and Sigourney Weaver who played frequent malevolence magnet Dana Barrett. (Rick Moranis, who was accountant Louis Tully in the original, has largely withdrawn from performing over the past 20 years and did not return.)

The original Ghostbusters actors—or OGBs, as they were known to the crew—all dropped by the Calgary set of Afterlife over the span of a week to shoot their parts. Each has a meaningful role in the movie, but they won't be the central heroes this time.

As official as it gets. They are in the movie, but shooting their scenes in about a week makes me think they will have a very reduced role.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only mentioned the old faces in the context that when they do appear, they should ostensibly be funny.

In the UK at least, market for the original was very horror focused originally. They also just put the logo and just the logo on posters everywhere for months before hand, making people talk about it and question what it even was before the name finally revealed. The sort of marketing impossible today.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Ash vs Evil Dead but really bad.

Tired of seeing the same imagery in every thing ghostbuster ever when it was supposed to be a one off nightmare.
Come up with new things please.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised nobody posted a new clip:

people.com

Paul Rudd Is Tormented by Adorable (and Sinister!) Marshmallow Ghosts in Ghostbusters: Afterlife Clip

Ghostbusters: Afterlife stars Paul Rudd and a new generation of spirit hunters

Not sure how I feel about this scene. It does have the original score.
Already had a thread for it.

www.resetera.com

First clip from Ghostbusters: Aferlife

Goddamn at the marshmellows roasting each other alive! Nightmare fuel.