• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that people just forgot about 100% proof of life after death and ghosts is just ridiculous. It seems like such a shame that they can't do more with the premise of "What would the world be like if we knew ghosts were real?"
Literally, LITERALLY, go watch Ghostbusters 2. Then tell me why this matters NOW.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are taking the forgot thing too literally.

I sometimes watch 911 footage because I lived through it but why would a child in 2019 even care?

PLUS even just 5 years after the gozer incident you've got people who think they're frauds. If that narrative is the dominant one for 30 years then it's not shocking people either dont remember or care to.

Either way, that trailer gave me chills.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Save for Ecto1 and a few trappings you could have told me this was a trailer for a Tremors reboot. But we'll see.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Oh god.

The trailer makes this feel like The Force Awakens. It's going to deify the events and characters of the first movies because people love enshrining childhood memories, and it's going to take itself way too seriously for what was originally a comedy. And people are going to lap it up because "I clapped, I clapped when I saw it"
this is the exact reaction i had

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Holy shit, I'm so done with nostalgia bate movies. Yes, I remember all the shit that's being referenced and no, it doesn't make this new movie any more interesting because I've seen it already.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ghostbusters 2016 is not nearly as bad as the comments suggest. It's fine. RT 74%!
The toxic backlash to 2016 was part of the gamergate movement, and I have a hard time taking anyone seriously that acts like it is the worst movie ever.

Holy shit, I'm so done with nostalgia bate movies. Yes, I remember all the shit that's being referenced and no, it doesn't make this new movie any more interesting because I've seen it already.

So you're saying it is the same, and everyone else is upset that it is different? What is happening..

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters 2016 is not nearly as bad as the comments suggest. It's fine. RT 74%!
The toxic backlash to 2016 was part of the gamergate movement, and I have a hard time taking anyone seriously that acts like it is the worst movie ever.

So you're saying it is the same, and everyone else is upset that it is different? What is happening..
The backlash was due to an awful happy madison tier trailer that looked bad. The movie isn't as bad as the trailer, but not much better.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are taking the forgot thing too literally.

I sometimes watch 911 footage because I lived through it but why would a child in 2019 even care?

PLUS even just 5 years after the gozer incident you've got people who think they're frauds. If that narrative is the dominant one for 30 years then it's not shocking people either dont remember or care to.

Either way, that trailer gave me chills.
Forgetting the existance of ghosts and spirits while they took over nyc and the statue of liberty walked around wouldn't be just some forgotten event of the past.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Think it's a good approach, but also think this trailer is more to pitch the premise and set a tone to get people on board than to communicate the fun of the series that people expect, which will probably still be there.

At least it hasn't lost my interest.

Deleted member 57990

Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Yeah, I dig this. The part where Paul Rudd said "a ghost trap?" and it did the little piano thing from the first movie - I genuinely got chills.

Sadly this is going to be another political football for people defending the 2016 movie, or claiming that this is giving the manbabies what they want.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah baby, I was expecting the theme song to kick in when Finn started up the Ecto-1 but I am still super into everything they're showing here.

In terms of aesthetics, it really should be Ecto 1-A. I know Ecto 1 is the more classic car, but it's erking my brain, and now I can't focus on the film because my brain is shouting "It's should be 1-A, it should be 1-A" over and over like a freight train. So unless there's an explanation to who or how the car reverted back to the exact condition Ecto 1 was my brain won't actually be able to focus on the film.

the only thing my brain can think is 1-A is a separate vehicle and not a modification of Ecto-1, but that raises questions to why it wasn't just called Ecto 2 in Ghostbusters 2. My brain is overanalysing the shit out of this and now is stuck on Ecto 1.

yes I prefer the look of Ecto 1, but arghh my head!
Apparently Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A are two different vehicles. There's supposedly a shot in Ghostbusters 2 where the 1A license plate says Ecto-2 instead, whoops!

And even if they were the same vehicle, there's zero reason what so ever to keep all the "We're back in business!!!" shit on it for 30+ years. After like... 6 months they would have taken that stuff down, if even that long.

I took them all to be eccentric. Not lacking compassion. This is putting out there that during the events of GB1 and GB2 he either was actively disregarding his family or he didn't know about them. Which seems strange as well. They could have achieved the same effect if they had cast slightly older, mid 20s, and just made that person Spanglers kid. To make him a horrible father seems so weird and weird to the spirit of the characters. 🤷‍♂️
Honestly Ghostbusters was never based on serious worldbuilding. It was built on fun. If it was interested in going deeper, the events of the first two movies would've reshaped the entire world. In the sequel, it wouldn't have been Venkman and crew continuing their business in relative isolation. There would not have been a one and done court case. The full might of governments and megacorporations would've been utilized, thanks to the confirmation of the afterlife (a hostile one at that!) and the fact that we had the tools to affect it.

The Ghostbusters would've been the innovators, sure. Rich, perhaps, from their discoveries. But they would have swam in a sea of people operating like them as time marched on and their inventions spread. In all likelihood, spirit outbreaks would've occurred across the world. Maybe even religious wars. Life would never be the same again.

Barring some apocalyptic final battle that seals all supernatural power for good, there's no way that quiets down to an inaudible hum.
If Bill Murray hadn't been such a prick about it, this is exactly what we would have gotten. Dan Aykroyd wrote drafts of Ghostbusters sequels all the way up to Ghostbusters 6. He envisioned a world where they had franchised out across the country, shots of fleets of Ecto-1s crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, garbage truck sized mobile Ecto Containment Units. I think that a lot of people either forget or just don't know that Dan is a total fucking paranormal obsessed kook and this is his passion, he lives for this shit. They have to water it down for audiences but if he could he would jam all kinds of ghost lore into the movies. Hell the original concept of Ghostbusters before it got scaled way the fuck back to be even feasible as a movie was a group of janitors who were responsible for cleaning up paranormal anomalies across time and space, of which things like Stay Puft were just one of many - and one of the smaller ones at that.

Also, gonna champ for the IDW comic series, because it sounds like exactly what you want. There are multiple Ghostbusters HQs set up in it, they go across the US and even to other countries, there are rival ghost busting companies, etc. It's so fuckin' good I can't praise it enough.

So we are lead to believe then that the existence of the after life and portals to other dimensions is something that the world doesn't care about?
The idea that people just forgot about 100% proof of life after death and ghosts is just ridiculous. It seems like such a shame that they can't do more with the premise of "What would the world be like if we knew ghosts were real?"

Lmao y'all THAT'S THE JOKE

Three guys find undeniable proof of the afterlife and what do they do? They build a business around it. They monetize it. They treat the act of wearing nuclear bombs on their backs which they use to literally wrangle undead souls into a giant ghost prison like it's some shitty 9-5 job killing bugs or rats. And the world around them doesn't give enough of a shit to care, and writes them off as frauds. That is like the core of the Ghostbusters concept lmao hello, McFly!!

Besides which as people keep pointing out, in the trailer it's not that everyone has forgotten the events (there's video of them on freaking YouTube) but specifically these kids who don't know about a thing that happened 15+ years before they were born and was likely outright hidden from them.

Never watched Any Ghostbusters ...and this trailer didn't do anything to grab me otherwise... Meh
You should at the very least watch the original, it's very good. Ghostbusters 2 is pretty much a beat by beat copy of the original, but it still has some great stuff in it and memorable lines and characters. It's Answer the Call you don't really need to watch. I mean, you can, it's not nearly as bad as some people act like it is, but it's its own self contained thing now.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
it really was, though - villain was MCU wave 1 weak, but it knew it was an actual comedy & ghostbuster film - this trailer didn't give off any of that

film stays underrated

I mean, comedy is subjective and all that, but I personally thought the 2016 was incredibly unfunny. And I even worked on that movie.

This trailer plays it straight and dry like the 1984 original trailer/teaser. Ghostbusters, as its best, is super mundane with spikes of insanity.

May 26, 2018
I mean, comedy is subjective and all that, but I personally thought the 2016 was incredibly unfunny. And I even worked on that movie.

giphy.gif

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters is probably one of the most misunderstood movies as far as concepts go. It was Essentially a Straight Edged Dark Comedy that eventually turned into a massive Kids Franchise but at its core it was never intended as solely a comedy movie.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I dig this. The part where Paul Rudd said "a ghost trap?" and it did the little piano thing from the first movie - I genuinely got chills.

Sadly this is going to be another political football for people defending the 2016 movie, or claiming that this is giving the manbabies what they want.

I've already seen people who should know better hoping this flops because the 2016 version did.

The comedy is there, it's very dry and smart like the original movie.

This film is not zany, it's grounded in as much a film about ghosts can be just like the original.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Already better than the last time they tried a sequel although that ain't too hard.

Interested to see more but not jumping out of my seat yet.

I like the difference in tone/setting. For all the complaints about mining nostalgia (which they are doing here), should we not want them to be trying out different things?

Also, if they're going for more of an Amblin-style adventure vibe with jokes, I can see that working. There's nothing intrinsically funny about busting ghosts, so maybe being fixated on the franchise being heavily comedic is a limitation.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ghostbusters 2016 was an average ghostbusters movie i thought it was watchable but no where close to the quality of the original 2, i like that cast and i would have liked to see how it could have improved in a sequel. But im happy we are getting this, i was bummed that 2016 wasnt connected to the originals at all. I hope this is good.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

This trailer plays it straight and dry like the 1984 original trailer/teaser. Ghostbusters, as its best, is super mundane with spikes of insanity.

that's cool that you did, i found it better than 2 and way more in the spirit of GB than what i'm seeing here

hope you're right about the trailer vs the film, this could be fun but it doesn't seem like a great direction so far is all - then again, 2 wasn't the same vibe as the lightning-in-a-bottle that was 1 either, so i get the appeal of not chasing that any more

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Paul Rudd starring in it and Ivan Reitman (never mind, it's his son Jason) directing is a plus. Not sure how I feel about the children being the Ghostbusters this time, but we will see.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
after perusing this thread and seeing the 2016 movie being brought up, people trying to lifecoach finn wolfhard from their computer chairs, and critiquing the entire movie from a less than 2 minute teaser, i'm convinced that most ghostbusters fans don't know what the fuck they want and are just angry all the time that nobody else holds the first film on a pedestal

personally i'm excited for this, but jesus fuck are there a lot of people salty about nothing in this thread

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about a sequel a lot of people like to forget....literally.
Honestly making me upset because I distinctly grew up with a bunch of kids who fucking loved it. It had great toys too. I'm not that into this trailer but latching on that because it involves kids is making me roll my eyes so hard.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly making me upset because I distinctly grew up with a bunch of kids who fucking loved it. It had great toys too. I'm not that into this trailer but latching on that because it involves kids is making me roll my eyes so hard.

As an 11 year old that summer Batman and Ghostbuster 2 were the best things ever. I live the 1st movie but as a kid that 2nd one was so great.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Whereas the Paul Feig movie was missing the dry wit from the original, this one looks like it may have overcorrected and made a straight up action adventure.

Hopefully, this is just the teaser not ready to show off the jokes.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting.
Small town. Kids. Which kind of evoke stranger things.
Which also cast one of the kid

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Looks great! I'd have been happy if Kristen Wiig and the cast of the last movie reprised their roles, because a blend of that tone and this one would be the sweet spot for me. But the writing and directing murdered their movie, and if we have to sacrifice an excellent cast to move far away from that film, so be it.

I wish it didn't suggest we're getting kidbusters, but I like the vibe. I'm all in.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are kids that grew up thinking home alone 3 was the best. Kids don't always know better

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the toys from the first movies/cartoon were a big fixture in my house growing up. My parents still have those toys at their house and my kids get to play with them a lot.
This film seems to have a target family friendly crossover vibe of YA and the people who were kids when the originals came out and are now raising kids of their own, and that honestly has me super excited.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
We've gone from a film conceived as a Saturday Night Live alumni comedy (built around ghost enthusiast mumbo from Aykroyd) in an everyday man underdog comedy in same vein of Stripes...

To an 80's-like nostalgic adventure with Spielbergish DNA, like a bastard child of Poltergeist and Goonies...

And I'm fine with that.

I think going with the SNL alumni comedy everyday Joe underdog tale for a 4th time would have came off as tired... especially after 2016 in which it failed.