• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Some of the takes in here are just baffling. It's the same thing! It's too different! Where's the jokes! Too much nostalgia! Where's my cameo?!

I'm definitely interested. I feel like this first trailer was a tone piece to show the filmmakers are handling this one with a little more care, and give the basic idea for the story. It's doing something different with property that's for sure. I'm sure the jokes will be in the second trailer, along with maybe a brief appearance from one of the OGs. People always complain when Sony shows too much. Now people complain they aren't showing enough. Just give it a few more months guys, and they'll give the entire film away in the next trailer.

If anything, I'm sure this will be better than the shitty 2016 film.

lekiedma

Dec 5, 2019
Its a unique take I guess. Probably gonna have to wait and see how it is though. Will probably watch it though.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll gladly take pandering to my nostalgia and introducing our faves to new generations over shitty attempts to replicate the lightning in a bottle of the original.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look bad but I'm a little weary of reboots with teenagers. Why can't we have Ghostbusters played by adults in a modern setting and modern humor? The last attempt was meh in execution, but the intention was there.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Looks fine, I can't imagine them going any other direction with it being how old the original cast is and also missing one (RIP). I am kind of tired of seeing Stranger Things guy in everything though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it. Thought it looked great. Very Super 8 Spielberg feel to it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't look bad but I'm a little weary of reboots with teenagers. Why can't we have Ghostbusters played by adults in a modern setting and modern humor? The last attempt was meh in execution, but the intention was there.

Probably because doing that would just look like a slap in the face to the last movie and also wouldn't be a good film either.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks fine, I can't imagine them going any other direction with it being how old the original cast is and also missing one (RIP). I am kind of tired of seeing Stranger Things guy in everything though.
by everything do you just mean Stranger Things and the movie IT? has he really been in that many things?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many people complaining about "Why is the kid from Stranger Things in EVERYTHING?!"

I decided to look up his filmography -- other than IT, he hasn't actually been in much of anything (2 small voice acting roles and 2 minor roles in indie films). Is there some reason people seem to think he's all over the place now? Are they confusing someone else for him?

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many people complaining about "Why is the kid from Stranger Things in EVERYTHING?!"

I decided to look up his filmography -- other than IT, he hasn't actually been in much of anything (2 small voice acting roles and 2 minor roles in indie films). Is there some reason people seem to think he's all over the place now? Are they confusing someone else for him?
Those saying that have no actual reason for doing it other than mayBe just hating the actor for some reason.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because doing that would just look like a slap in the face to the last movie and also wouldn't be a good film either.

Why? They're rebooting the series again, I'd think that's a bigger slap in the face than trying to fix a mistake. And why it wouldn't be a good film?

The last GB was just boring and unfun, they can try and make, you know, a good comedy.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Why? They're rebooting the series again, I'd think that's a bigger slap in the face than trying to fix a mistake. And why it wouldn't be a good film?

The last GB was just boring and unfun, they can try and make, you know, a good comedy.
They're explicitly not rebooting it though, this is a distant sequel to GB 1/2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How would being played by adults make it a slap to the face or a bad movie?

Because they JUST DID a movie about adult Ghostbusters in a modern city with modern humor a few years ago. Saying "hey sorry about that we're gonna do it again but this time with guys" would understandably be seen as an insult to the last film.

As for why it would be bad, I'm sorry, there aren't any comedy actors in Hollywood I would trust to try and replicate the tone of the original Ghostbusters. We'd end up with jackasses like Kevin Hart and Seth Rogen.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The tone of the original GB is such a hard thing to get right, so I guess they figured there was no reason to even try?

Oct 26, 2017
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

How the fuck are you deciding that this movie won't have any comedy because a 2 minute trailer doesn't? (spoiler: the original 1984 trailer didn't have any real comedy)

How the fuck are you deciding that there are plot holes in a 2 minute disjointed cut of a 2 hour movie? (spoiler: a teaser isn't a cliffnotes summary of a movie)

What's next? Complaining that the pacing of the movie is pretty bad and that the ending was poorly built up and that they really shouldn't have made that Spider-Man crossover?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The tone of the original GB is such a hard thing to get right, so I guess they figured there was no reason to even try?

At least they aren't making it a full on goofy comedy like the reboot, which was totally the opposite of what the original Ghostbusters was.

This new film is still closer than the reboot in that respect, plus this first trailer feels like a teaser and doesn't really show too much, so it could still capture some of that original magic, while doing it's own thing too.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
This looks good. Even the original Ghostbusters didn't look like a comedy at first. I'm giving this a chance.

The last Ghostbusters with an all female lead was ok. Cast was fantastic but the machine gun pace of jokes put me off.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
At least they aren't making it a full on goofy comedy like the reboot, which was totally the opposite of what the original Ghostbusters was.

This new film is still closer than the reboot in that respect, plus this first trailer feels like a teaser and doesn't really show too much, so it could still capture some of that original magic, while doing it's own thing too.

Yeah it looks fine. The last one was like an ok modern comedy with some GB trappings splashed around for color.

Hopefully there's still some humor in this one that isn't of the usual "oh so that just happened" *mugs* variety.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
For some reason I keep watching this trailer and what I notice is what VFX is show it looks simple and decent. Proton streams look like the original streams just touched up. Slimer for the 5 seconds we got him looks a duller shade of green but its ok since hes outside.

This actually makes me happy. GB2016 was too neon and the ghosts looked like they belonged in Disneys Haunted Mansion.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actors can turn down roles. He's not required to play all of these roles. Typecasting is a very real thing and he/his agents/family should really start considering that.

Regardless I'm not blaming him. It's obviously the Hollywood machine at work, wanting to feast on his young acting organs in ways they know should work until it doesn't anymore. Doesn't mean I still can't be annoyed by it.
What kid (or parent) is going to turn down being in the new Ghostbusters movie?

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the takes in here are just baffling. It's the same thing! It's too different! Where's the jokes! Too much nostalgia! Where's my cameo?!

I'm definitely interested. I feel like this first trailer was a tone piece to show the filmmakers are handling this one with a little more care, and give the basic idea for the story. It's doing something different with property that's for sure. I'm sure the jokes will be in the second trailer, along with maybe a brief appearance from one of the OGs. People always complain when Sony shows too much. Now people complain they aren't showing enough. Just give it a few more months guys, and they'll give the entire film away in the next trailer.

If anything, I'm sure this will be better than the shitty 2016 film.

My thoughts exactly.

It's hilarious going to the YouTube videos of the trailer and seeing people happy,then come on here and see some real bizarre hot takes.

But it's Era so I'm not surprised.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

How the fuck are you deciding that this movie won't have any comedy because a 2 minute trailer doesn't? (spoiler: the original 1984 trailer didn't have any real comedy)

How the fuck are you deciding that there are plot holes in a 2 minute disjointed cut of a 2 hour movie? (spoiler: a teaser isn't a cliffnotes summary of a movie)

What's next? Complaining that the pacing of the movie is pretty bad and that the ending was poorly built up and that they really shouldn't have made that Spider-Man crossover?

Surprisingly true. There's comedy in the trailer but not as much as you'd expect.