• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Pretty much. The original movie worked because it a lightning in a bottle of a group of hilarious comedians in this inverse tone gloomy nyc, where they make ghost busting a exterminator type job.

I think it works because they built an entire world that works with different groups.

You can have different types of people with different tones to the work, but still keep proton packs, ghost traps, ECTO-1, Tobin's Spirit Guide. The movie's background flavor was almost too good for a comedy OR horror.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I took them all to be eccentric. Not lacking compassion. This is putting out there that during the events of GB1 and GB2 he either was actively disregarding his family or he didn't know about them. Which seems strange as well. They could have achieved the same effect if they had cast slightly older, mid 20s, and just made that person Spanglers kid. To make him a horrible father seems so weird and weird to the spirit of the characters. 🤷‍♂️
I agree. Doing this to Ramis's classic character is just....icky.

Oct 25, 2017
There was a plot leak on Reddit two months ago that is lining up with all the details from the trailer and the Variety article. If it's to be believed, I'm pretty excited for the movie.

The trailer does not line up with this fucking awful attempt at a story at all due to there being no ghosts for 30 years.
I really hope that's just someone's shitty fan fiction.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks waaaaaaaay too serious. The tone of the lady ghostbusters movie was way more on point than this, and that still didn't turn out good. Nu-uh to this.

And I'm getting sick of that stranger things kid being in like everything that's "cool horror" these days.

first of all, that stranger things kid's name is Finn Wolfhard which is pretty fucking memorable

second, it's not his fault he is being typecast. he's a good actor and just a lad so i hope people don't start to resent him

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think it works because they built an entire world that works with different groups.

You can have different types of people with different tones to the work, but still keep proton packs, ghost traps, ECTO-1, Tobin's Spirit Guide. The movie's background flavor was almost too good for a comedy OR horror.
Meh, I disagree personally, but I just also am tired of rehashes and reboots. Part of the magic of the original was that didn't need to go heavy into lore of stuff. The proton pack and everything else was part of it.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch the trailer yet, but are they really banking on the entire world collectively forgetting about two large-scale, well documented paranormal incursions into Manhattan? I mean, I know even the first movie sort of played around with that, but after the second one had the actual physical Statue of Liberty walk through the damn city things would have been kind of established as fact.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I can't watch the trailer yet, but are they really banking on the entire world collectively forgetting about two large-scale, well documented paranormal incursions into Manhattan? I mean, I know even the first movie sort of played around with that, but after the second one had the actual physical Statue of Liberty walk through the damn city things would have been kind of established as fact.

I think it's going to be more that these particular kids aren't familiar with it, but we shall see.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017

It seems so. yes.

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer does not line up with this fucking awful attempt at a story at all due to there being no ghosts for 30 years.
I really hope that's just someone's shitty fan fiction.

I mean..

If they work for the government, I could see them going with an X-files "government suppressing knowledge of the supernatural" angle

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
The Finn wolfhard cinematic universe.

I thought they were doing a ghostbusterd with the original cast? Not true?

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kids today dont know the holocaust happened.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
This was exactly as I was expecting it to be for a first trailer. Even told my friends they wouldn't have any of the OG cast in the first trailer. It feels different, yet familiar enough to make it stand on its own and doesn't seem to just be a modern re-telling of the same story of the previous 2. I think they did a great job of setting this up and the world while just hinting at the past (the musical cues were great).

Seeing Egon's basement with his collection of molds, spores, and fungi is a trip, lol.

Also, caught the "Shandor Mining" sign where the epicenter of the ghosts seem to be coming from. Nice tie in to the ghost lore of the series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The entire world didn't forget, they just stopped caring. 30 years is a long time, and Paul Rudd's character is a known Ghostbusters fanboy.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always remember the Russell Westbrook interview where he said he never heard of the Oklahoma City Bombing until he got drafted to OKC.

Kids are dumb and won't know certain things.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fun to me, I really like the idea of exploring old universes after time has passed.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbuster was a funny movie.

Its weird they are chasing after thriller/action movie vibes on this.

I will wait and see, but the weird nostalgia play seems to miss the tone of the original film. It may only work in that era.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
The entire world didn't forget, they just stopped caring. 30 years is a long time, and Paul Rudd's character is a known Ghostbusters fanboy.

You would think if it was proven that ghosts are indeed real, it would completely change the fabric of our society. That would bring in a lot of questions about religion, heaven, hell, etc. It would be something that is very much a part of our everyday lives. These kids would be aware of ghosts. Or should be.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
The world forgot ghosts exists?
The world forgot ghosts existed between GB1 and 2.

I know this is a pandering apology for the last movie, but written and directed by Ivan Reitman's son? A direct sequel?

Did I see a collection of spores, molds, and fungus down there?

I am ashamed to say I got goosebumps.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
People forgot the World Trade Centers were bombed prior to 9/11. In 1993. Forgetting about the Ghostbusters 30 years later isnt that far fetched

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You would think if it was proven that ghosts are indeed real, it would completely change the fabric of our society. That would bring in a lot of questions about religion, heaven, hell, etc. It would be something that is very much a part of our everyday lives. These kids would be aware of ghosts. Or should be.
Yea seriously. If this is the basis of being "real life" ghosts being forgotten or not cared about is as dumb as dinosaurs being forgotten about and not cared.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Also, they are hiding some comedic elements in plain sight. The green blurry ghost is very obviously Slimer. They are obscuring him.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck at the dislike for Finn Wolfhard in this thread. Seriously? kid has been in Stranger Things and IT and you can't take any more of him? Kid is a good actor and he's fun to watch. Casting him and that girl as Egon's grandchildren seems like a great idea to me.

the different tone that this trailer evokes feels like a wonderful surprise and a new Ghostbusters having a different vibe than the originals or even the 2016 one seems like a good thing to me.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I recommend seeing GB 2016. It's the perfect example of what NOT to do with a comedy movie. Just a complete mess of terrible ad libbing. It's fascinating how badly they squandered such a terrific cast.

Exactly, if they would have shown a Seth Rogan version of this people would have been like "here we go again, let it die." I think its cool the 2019 kids are going "whats a ghost trap?"

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Forgetting that the statue of liberty walk around nyc? Yea definitely plausible.
You forgot the stay puft marshmallow as well. So yeah, plausible. There are people alive, right now, that dont believe the Holocaust occured.

There are people alive right now, who dont know that people are being mass murdered and organ harvested in China right now. A fictional movie having kids not know about ghosts is pretty easy to pass

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Forgetting that the statue of liberty walked around nyc? Yea definitely plausible.

People stop caring about shit when it doesn't directly effect them. The 80s were a long time ago and people don't remember or give a shit about individual things that happened in the 80s, they just remember '80s pop culture.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Ghostbuster was a funny movie.

Its weird they are chasing after thriller/action movie vibes on this.

I will wait and see, but the weird nostalgia play seems to miss the tone of the original film. It may only work in that era.
GB was a horror comedy.

I wasn't allowed to see it for at least a year after it came out, and even then I had nightmares. Kinda like Gremlins. Horror and comedy are a great mix.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People stop caring about shit when it doesn't directly effect them. The 80s were a long time ago and people don't remember or give a shit about individual things that happened in the 80s, they just remember '80s pop culture.
Yea...no. People wouldn't forget ghosts taking over nyc or the statue of liberty walking through water and in the city.